Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Wow, nice gift!

Meanwhile, Ryan goes electric:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2zlYpy6QCM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I think the thing that Ryan barely touches on about the target market is "a place to charge". Unless you have a house, the apartment complexes the target market can afford do not have charging stations. I've rarely lived on a ground floor apartment, but even then they are too small to get a bike into. I'd absolutely have an e-moto by now were it not for this. One defunct company made the battery a removeable suitcase, which was a great idea.

This video has piqued my interest in making one of those out of a junker. Perhaps a DR200?

Slavvy posted:

Got given these today.

Found amongst junk being cleaned out of a school. None of the students wanted them apparently. They are much better in person but that's what you get with a cellphone and blue curtains!

Whoa those are incredible. Were they drawn by a student and left behind?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Whoa those are incredible. Were they drawn by a student and left behind?

They were all done in 1989 by someone called biz king, who presumably was on the scene at the time because the one of terry rymer is marked as being for terry rymer. They are a mixture of freehand sketch and machine shading, I was actually wondering how that was possible in 89 tbh.

I'm convinced he saw these things happen in person, because anyone who got told to draw the mamola one without having seen him in action would've automatically reduced the slide angle to what seems plausible.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Chris Knight posted:

Wow, nice gift!

Meanwhile, Ryan goes electric:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2zlYpy6QCM

If you follow this logic all the way through you end up reinventing mopeds, which we're getting anyway from the other direction as e-bicycles get more and more powerful.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

They were all done in 1989 by someone called biz king, who presumably was on the scene at the time because the one of terry rymer is marked as being for terry rymer. They are a mixture of freehand sketch and machine shading, I was actually wondering how that was possible in 89 tbh.

I'm convinced he saw these things happen in person, because anyone who got told to draw the mamola one without having seen him in action would've automatically reduced the slide angle to what seems plausible.

May also have worked from reference photos.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Spotted while I was out and about.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Midjack posted:

May also have worked from reference photos.

It's 100% this. Maybe some light table action as well. Especially if done by a student. We did quite a bit of that in art classes

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Just a standard new rider riding a supersport target fixating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiSrOOZLvXo

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Looking forward to the dandanthefireman 5 minute break down on what went wrong.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I expected them to be going a lot faster, that was pretty bad

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
"I failed to initiate my turn"

That's certainly one way to put it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

I expected them to be going a lot faster, that was pretty bad

Classic car brain on display with the rpm too. Highest possible gear at all times, no engine braking to speak of at any time, constant coasting on a shut throttle. Then you've got the usual failure to steer at all, throttle use that has no bearing on what the rest of the bike is doing, just literally jumped on an r6, figured out the gears and had a go.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Deeters posted:

Just a standard new rider riding a supersport target fixating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiSrOOZLvXo

*flips over a loving car after a head-on collision* “uhm.. I’m sorry..”

I like how the dude in the car asked what happened, because Jesus Christ.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Classic car brain on display with the rpm too. Highest possible gear at all times, no engine braking to speak of at any time, constant coasting on a shut throttle. Then you've got the usual failure to steer at all, throttle use that has no bearing on what the rest of the bike is doing, just literally jumped on an r6, figured out the gears and had a go.

I watched this while on a work call so I wasn't paying 100% attention and I thought the tach was broken but nope, you can see it drop down at the end. You can see it drop when he shifts in the beginning too. I'm not familiar with R6s and at first thought it was showing 2k and I didn't see how that's possible, but I think it may be getting all the way up to 4k.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

MomJeans420 posted:

I watched this while on a work call so I wasn't paying 100% attention and I thought the tach was broken but nope, you can see it drop down at the end.

Uncovered front brake, and doesn't appear to grab much of it at all, so my bet being he stomped hard on the rear brake stalling the engine. He's almost certainly in 5th or 6th.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Looks like about 4k, yeah, which knowing similar bikes is basically high idle. Just enough power to keep you moving but no engine braking and slow throttle response.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

its all nice on rice posted:

Very nice CB400F, other than the lolbars looks stock. These are almost nonexistent now because during the cafe craze they were *the* bike to mod.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

snail posted:

Uncovered front brake, and doesn't appear to grab much of it at all, so my bet being he stomped hard on the rear brake stalling the engine. He's almost certainly in 5th or 6th.

I did a lot of dumb stuff while starting out but stalling while moving is pretty good

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

its all nice on rice posted:

Is that in Seattle? I think I've seen this bike out and about, looks fantastic

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Late posting here because I wanted to point out that these linkages look so ridiculous because this bike was designed before cables as we know them were invented

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

ADINSX posted:

Is that in Seattle? I think I've seen this bike out and about, looks fantastic

Yeah. About a block north of Pike's Place.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finished* this for a guy today, gt1000 with st4 wheels, brakes, fork.

*: still needs to get rid of those terrible shocks and fit the real actual ohlins from his other one, plus minor details like the MC reservoirs

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nice, but why does it have that dumbass leather tank bra?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Because it comes with a dumbass leather tank bag and panniers, all genuine Ducati duck leather (I assume), very rare and expensive and hopelessly impractical. The bags are rated to 1.5kg each. He just likes the look of the leather I think.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

For some rare and expensive leather, it looks like absolute rear end. Those stupid plastic clips on it, ugh, the bulges, ugh, the fading logo...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The logo is actually stitched!

Also hilarious: Ducati thought that bike would have some crossover light touring appeal which is why those accessories even exist. I want to live on planet Italy.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

The logo is actually stitched!

Also hilarious: Ducati thought that bike would have some crossover light touring appeal which is why those accessories even exist. I want to live on planet Italy.

Imagine a world where Italians didnt make cars or motorcycles. I don't want to live in that world.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

Imagine a world where Italians didnt make cars or motorcycles. I don't want to live in that world.

Every scale needs a zero, and for every ruthlessly built and surgically designed Honda we *need* a bike with the radiator under the seat, or a whole brand whos thing is putting the engines in sideways.

If you want to imagine a bike world without the Italian, look how the car world has gone now they're putting powerful mood stabilisers in the lunchtime wine at FIAT (and the French car makers for that matter). Without designers willing to ask important questions like "No, seriously, what if we actually built a car engine with the rev range of a moped?" or grabbing your lapels with Gauloise-stained fingertips and screaming about how the olepneumatique suspension system lets you drive at 100kph across a ploughed field, you end up where we are now where every car looks like a half-sucked boiled sweet and people get legitimately excited about cupholders.

In fact the Big 4 need to buy Benelli, Morini, and the others back from the Chinese (and make Piaggio an offer for Guzzi) and just let them all loose in some bike designer safari park. Through all the scrap metal and random engine parts over the walls, and come back once a year to pick up some ideas. "Okay this bike might somehow have a combined total-loss lubrication and electrical system, but just look at the way they've shaped the swingarm to let the sparks out of the crank!"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
*furiously googling "conductive lubricant"*

Oh hey, gallium! So, uh, no aluminum blocks then

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Steakandchips posted:

Nice, but why does it have that dumbass leather tank bra?
I have the same tank cover on my Honda. They are built to fit by a German company called Bagster. Some fit better than others. They're padded on the inside, not only designed to protect a tank, but they also offer mounting points for bags and other hardware. And to me it seems much better and practical than the goofy rubber protectors people glue all over their gastank.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Hey, Bagster!

Mine came in this morning. Hides the horrible decal failures on my Tiger’s tank. Definitely looks better than a tank pad or tank grip; bag mounting points are likely to break since they interfere with the bars at full lock but I’m not using their proprietary tank bag anyways.

Edit: also, they’re French.

Revvik fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 18, 2021

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

it makes your motorcycle look like a volleyball

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

FBS posted:

:roflolmao:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Wilson! :argh:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Nitrox posted:

better and practical than the goofy rubber protectors people glue all over their gastank.

Aren't these for grip? Your knee is going to hold much better against rubber than plastic or aluminum, and especially aluminium.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Toe Rag posted:

Aren't these for grip? Your knee is going to hold much better against rubber than plastic or aluminum, and especially aluminium.

Oh yeah for sure. Also has an added bonus of keeping your tank scratched by a jacket zipper.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Nitrox posted:

And to me it seems much better and practical than the goofy rubber protectors people glue all over their gastank.

Revvik posted:

Definitely looks better than a tank pad or tank grip
!! :objection: !!

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

You know what? I’ll take it.

Yeah my Tiger had one with some Union Jack bullshit on it and it looked awful though

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Tokyo Motor Show 1989

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I still think the Morpho looks :krad: despite the base concept being questionable at best (not to mention the more mundanely bizarre poo poo like having the rear brake disc on the same side as the chain. Oil splash, what's that?)