Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

ilkhan posted:

All that is still TBD. So we'll see. Gonna depend on how things go. Probably not much dry camping, since we'll both be working full time. We're planning on starlink for internet, as that avoids having to find a cell signal.

I have been debating the starlink kit but its $500 and I mostly go south when camping, and I think it has less availability the farther south you go. It would have been nice to have in big bend even if it only worked 80% of the time.

My camper came with a winegard air 360. You can get 100gb through tmobile or cricket for $50 a month now. Works with verizon too but the plan is expensive. Mobile internet resource center has some good info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

cakesmith handyman posted:

Simple version would be just to use it as a work surface (building the top to the right height) but I wondered if anyone's seen any Overland trailers or similar set up this way?

https://youtu.be/UmMUiLCtzKg

Here's a start. This is now a real product if you want more ideas. There's hundreds of overland kitchen builds on youtube.

For full trailer setups look at turtleback trailers for ideas.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

rdb posted:

I have been debating the starlink kit but its $500 and I mostly go south when camping, and I think it has less availability the farther south you go. It would have been nice to have in big bend even if it only worked 80% of the time.

My camper came with a winegard air 360. You can get 100gb through tmobile or cricket for $50 a month now. Works with verizon too but the plan is expensive. Mobile internet resource center has some good info.

I'm gonna go with Starlink when it rolls out for mobile installations. Its a big enough device I might mount it on the roof of a pull-behind cargo trailer with some additional solar to offset its thirst.
I was using Winegard though iirc its ethernet controller was hanging off of usb2 bus which is slow enough I can just run the packets myself by hand. I upgraded to a Sierra wireless cat12(LTE) dual sim (using att/vzw here) transceiver last year, there's a cat20(5G) out now which I'll prob spring for this fall.

I've lucked out numerous times and had a tower all to myself.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I've got an idea and I wondered if you guys have ever seen anything like it. When we go tent camping we carry most of our copious crap in an old gutted trailer tent chassis. I want to make a hard top for it and was wondering if there was a way to use the (mostly emptied) trailer as the kitchen when we're set up. Simple version would be just to use it as a work surface (building the top to the right height) but I wondered if anyone's seen any Overland trailers or similar set up this way?

Might be a touch heavy using an old travel trailer. There's several fantastic overlanding style campers out now. Another i've seen is using old utility bodies from a pickup with a standard trailer axle and a roof top tent above the body section. The toolboxes make great "rooms" for galleys, toiletries, and general storage.

A few months ago I saw a husband/wife working out of a utility body converted trailer being pulled behind an early bronco. All of it sitting on 35s. They had a killer setup with a roof top tent, bathroom, office, the works.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

rdb posted:

The orbits are filling up, they'll have the first "shell" done in August I believe, which is likely when they'll turn on mobility and have full coverage. After that it's just increasing capacity afaik. True, there are good cell options, and most/many parks have wifi, but I love the idea of LEO sat service.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Campground and park wifi is terrible. Worse than most hotels. Garbage tier and crowded. Just throwing that out there.

I just got done dumping cash and pulling wire for internet at home. Maybe the camper next. I only have one more trip planned this year and I should be out of it and into the house in the next couple months. Can’t get that gig fiber soon enough. All in this Jayco has done pretty good for a year of full time use.

On another note KBB private party value has now exceeded the new purchase price of my truck. 3 years and 60k miles later. Good luck if your trying to buy one because this poo poo can’t get back to normal soon enough.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

cursedshitbox posted:

Might be a touch heavy using an old travel trailer. There's several fantastic overlanding style campers out now. Another i've seen is using old utility bodies from a pickup with a standard trailer axle and a roof top tent above the body section. The toolboxes make great "rooms" for galleys, toiletries, and general storage.

A few months ago I saw a husband/wife working out of a utility body converted trailer being pulled behind an early bronco. All of it sitting on 35s. They had a killer setup with a roof top tent, bathroom, office, the works.

Thanks all for the recommendations and links, looks like either this or an Ausy-style tradesman's trailer were what I was thinking, not much of either available here in the UK though. I'll keep my eye out but maybe this is the push I need to learn to fabricate a basic top for my existing trailer.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

The rpod I got came with an Aussie camper grill but it's just one flame element and is literally a small grill.

I'm interested in just having a single raging burner so I can get my cast iron hot and boil water quickly. Is there a go-to model I should be looking at?

I see you can get legit big ones with metal stands but I am thinking I want more portability and ease of storage. I was looking at a dual fuel GasOne burner that runs on either propane or butane but I'm open to other suggestions.

I don't do camper camping (yet), but Camp Chef makes 30k and 60k BTU single propane burners. You can buy them without the legs or get one used and toss the legs/don't pack them. If you are looking at one of the flat GasOne burners that are only a couple inches high I can't find what the output is but I bet it doesn't come close to the bigger burners and is not gonna be a significant improvement over a basic single burner camp stove.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I just remembered I have a camp chef Everest two burner stove in my gear closet.

I already have the hose to go from the rpod to the grill but it's fitted with quick disconnects.

MENSI 1/4" Quick Connect Disconnect Plug with 1lb Bottle Tank Thread Propane Adapter for Portable Camper Grill Hook Up RV Trailer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DHFQLP9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JCXSV5Y1R8CERNN6W4E6

I ordered this for my grill and I think it's the right adapter to mate it with my quick disconnect hose. This plug looks identical to the connection on the grill the rpod came with (on the QD end) so I just hope it is the right piece to connect up to the Camp Chef stove.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

rdb posted:

Campground and park wifi is terrible. Worse than most hotels. Garbage tier and crowded. Just throwing that out there.

I just got done dumping cash and pulling wire for internet at home. Maybe the camper next. I only have one more trip planned this year and I should be out of it and into the house in the next couple months. Can’t get that gig fiber soon enough. All in this Jayco has done pretty good for a year of full time use.

On another note KBB private party value has now exceeded the new purchase price of my truck. 3 years and 60k miles later. Good luck if your trying to buy one because this poo poo can’t get back to normal soon enough.

Campground wifi is always utter garbage.

How has the Jayco held up to full time life? Any wearing or systems breaking?
The only wear I've encountered is the 'satin finish' plating on the faucets and stuff is peeling off. Fantastic vent still howling like a B-52 pulling a TOGO maneuver.

Truck prices, just lol. Absolute insanity. My old farmtruck is worth double its original msrp right now which is absolutely insane. Never thought I'd ever see it worth more than the fuel thats in it, let alone double what it cost in 1990. A suitable latemodel replacement built up with a flatbed and supersingles would be around 70k. I would like a larger truck (F450) to pull a ~10 ton trailer behind it though. The farmtruck would be fine with half that. Maybe after I buy a house/shop/land, screw that logistics puzzle beforehand.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

cursedshitbox posted:

Campground wifi is always utter garbage.

How has the Jayco held up to full time life? Any wearing or systems breaking?
The only wear I've encountered is the 'satin finish' plating on the faucets and stuff is peeling off. Fantastic vent still howling like a B-52 pulling a TOGO maneuver.

Truck prices, just lol. Absolute insanity. My old farmtruck is worth double its original msrp right now which is absolutely insane. Never thought I'd ever see it worth more than the fuel thats in it, let alone double what it cost in 1990. A suitable latemodel replacement built up with a flatbed and supersingles would be around 70k. I would like a larger truck (F450) to pull a ~10 ton trailer behind it though. The farmtruck would be fine with half that. Maybe after I buy a house/shop/land, screw that logistics puzzle beforehand.

One gray tank sensor reads 2/3rd all the time. One of the LED light strips on the nose cone has a couple dead bulbs. Other than that - nothing. No broken trim or poo poo falling off, no leaks that I have found. The finish on the table doesn’t like warm plates but goes back to normal with some pledge. Couple dings and a lot of dirt/food rubbed in from my toddler but it all cleans up. I need to remove the “fireplace” to get some toys and food he stuck under the televator. The insignia range has been top notch, fridge works, bmpro/JAYCOMMAND still works, its needed a couple updates and a hard reboot once. Tires survived 80mph across Texas. Shocked after my last one. Couldn’t pull that 2 miles without trim falling off or finding something expensive. Plus the faded front cap, marginal sized/speed rated tires and worn carpet.

Your truck rocks. With the work you have done its better than new, so I am not surprised its worth more. I think there is also a lot of resentment in the truck buying population towards tech and modern high pressure common rail injection so I would think the value on yours would hold. 70k for an XL f450 sounds about right. I was LOLing at my boss for buying a new F150 this week. “Im friends with the dealer” means only paid MSRP. At some point this has to end, right? I can’t get doors for my house because there is no glass just like ford/ram/GM can’t get their dated electronics because TSMC won’t make their chips.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

rdb posted:

One gray tank sensor reads 2/3rd all the time. One of the LED light strips on the nose cone has a couple dead bulbs. Other than that - nothing. No broken trim or poo poo falling off, no leaks that I have found. The finish on the table doesn’t like warm plates but goes back to normal with some pledge. Couple dings and a lot of dirt/food rubbed in from my toddler but it all cleans up. I need to remove the “fireplace” to get some toys and food he stuck under the televator. The insignia range has been top notch, fridge works, bmpro/JAYCOMMAND still works, its needed a couple updates and a hard reboot once. Tires survived 80mph across Texas. Shocked after my last one. Couldn’t pull that 2 miles without trim falling off or finding something expensive. Plus the faded front cap, marginal sized/speed rated tires and worn carpet.

Your truck rocks. With the work you have done its better than new, so I am not surprised its worth more. I think there is also a lot of resentment in the truck buying population towards tech and modern high pressure common rail injection so I would think the value on yours would hold. 70k for an XL f450 sounds about right. I was LOLing at my boss for buying a new F150 this week. “Im friends with the dealer” means only paid MSRP. At some point this has to end, right? I can’t get doors for my house because there is no glass just like ford/ram/GM can’t get their dated electronics because TSMC won’t make their chips.

Those things never read right. They should go to IR/RF rather than capacitive/resistive measuring. No surprise with the led lighting, those strips are low buck suckers with dodgy power management electronics that more often than not overdrive leds. The electric fireplaces are a cool gimmick, I kinda want one...or a real woodstove. Overall that is pretty solid given fulltiming, especially for Jayco. I'm impressed.

Double-msrp is on the low side, No way would I part with the truck though, even if it reached new-450-prices. Though at this rate I'll be putting aircon in it and the like. Didn't even consider out in the midwest where mechanical equipment sells for more buck than their computer controlled newer siblings as the farmer can actually fix those things.
New truck things come with all sorts of different hassles. I spent 3 weeks trying to source a replacement brass radiator for less than a grand.
With a new truck It'll be doing egr coolers or some other fun issue on an exit ramp somewhere. At least on a 6.7psd its on top of the engine now and not buried in the depths of hell like the 6L. My husband keeps mentioning airbags though and I can't solve for that with the current cab.

People are now paying over asking for trucks/cars, this insanity is just gonna continue. Seeing a similar trend with the sub 3-5,000lb campers too.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Took the rpod to Belfair State Park this weekend. Saturday was cool and gorgeous but then it started dumping rain and it hasn't stopped for twelve hours.

Two things:

1) glad I'm not in a tent and having to pack up wet gear.

2) the back door for the outdoor kitchen on this trailer works as a perfect awning to make and drink some coffee even when it's pouring rain.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Heya gang.

Long time lurker to this thread. Finally bit the big one and got an RV. New, just fresh from the first weekend outing. Pretty great times.

Before it gets asked, yes my first upgrade is to print a decal to go over the existing logo and name to say "Cumfluence".

Pretty okay rig. MSRP was 49 and got it for 32. It's made by KV. Got one 12v battery on it the drains comically fast, have a list of things for the dealer to fix, buy surprised he w easy it was to drive/set up/ year down.

Real fun and hopefully a summer full of it.

Thanks for all the info and motivation! GF is extremely happy.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I found a leak in my outdoor sink faucet plumbing and on the one hand it's really loving annoying but on the other it's a fairly simple remove and replace operation that is better than something like an exterior seal failing.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Turnaround time on camper fixes is wild compared to the poo poo I ignore for months in my actual house.

Sink has been recaulked and the faucet entirely replaced. Easy as heck.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

If I wanted to try out trailer towing and camping without sinking my entire rec budget for a decade into buying one, what's a good way to get my feet wet? I don't have either a tow-capable vehicle or a trailer - or any experience with either. What I had in mind is like going out to some low-traffic pretty spot for maybe a weekend to get my feet wet but all of the "how to get started" guides I've been able to find online seem to assume you just blindly bought an RV or trailer and have a tow vehicle already vs like being able to rent one. Is there a reasonable getting started guide that assumes you don't already have the vehicle?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Rent? Availability will vary by region, but locally there are a ton of rental options from basic rv’s to fancy overlanding trailers.

I would imagine anywhere that has places for you to go will have some sort of rental market.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

The Oldest Man posted:

If I wanted to try out trailer towing and camping without sinking my entire rec budget for a decade into buying one, what's a good way to get my feet wet? I don't have either a tow-capable vehicle or a trailer - or any experience with either. What I had in mind is like going out to some low-traffic pretty spot for maybe a weekend to get my feet wet but all of the "how to get started" guides I've been able to find online seem to assume you just blindly bought an RV or trailer and have a tow vehicle already vs like being able to rent one. Is there a reasonable getting started guide that assumes you don't already have the vehicle?

Here's the skinny best I know. The OP is very very good so give that a go if you haven't already.

I'm not aware of any option of "renting" a 🚜 cle to haul anything with. Just don't see a lot of pickup trucks that you can pick up at budget or Avis. You can tow many a tow camper with non-trucks (mid size luxury SUV read: soccer mom 4 doors). But I don't imagine any in the rental market come with a tow package. Could call and ask.

That sort of leaves you in the market for stuff that has the engine and drive train built in.

There are the RV america things. Never used them, see them often on the roadside (inland northwest).

I've had a good amount of luck renting stuff on outdoorsy.com which typically has everything from your bus style RVs to the cruise America types, can conversions, sprinters, etc.

I have a truck so always rented tow campers...but there is everything on outdoorsy (ymmv depending on region). It's pretty reasonable and I've had good experiences. Basically air bnb for camping vehicles, RVs etc.

I had even flown a few places like Denver or Vegas, picked up a local RV from outdoorsy and toured around for however long in it (pay by the night).

There is also a growing number of companies that rent all done up and ready can conversions like promasters/transits/sprinters. Google around.

Happy camping!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Try outdoorsy. We went to Deception Pass last week and there was a family driving a giant Coachmen they rented on a whim and they seemed to be into it. Seems an easy way to dip a toe in.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Thanks for the tips!

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
Just out for our second trip. This time to Missoula, MT. Came out a day before I had reservations and as you can imagine...no last minute spots for tow campers in a Montana Summer. Check into a square dance RV park at noon till Sunday.

It was the only place that had spots left but she's very nice, and while I claim to be a cool modern dude, I'm pretty excited to stay at a place that is exclusively themed year around as a giant square dancing center.

Will report. Also if anyone has some "must see/do" things about Missoula, I'd love to hear it!

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Try outdoorsy. We went to Deception Pass last week and there was a family driving a giant Coachmen they rented on a whim and they seemed to be into it. Seems an easy way to dip a toe in.

I'm in a bit of a similar situation: We went car camping for the first time and really got bitten by it, but we're also intrigued by travel trailers so we can have the possibility to have a bathroom that isn't a vault toilet and place to hang out if the weather is lovely. We don't really need anything big since it's just the 2 of us but we'd like to try out some stuff to see what feels good. We're not sold on an RV or a camper because we like the ability to take the car to other places while based at a campsite.

While our car (Subaru Crosstrek) does have a hitch receiver for a bike rack/hitch basket, it's tow rating is just 1500 lbs so we can only really tow a teardrop trailer and i'm not sure I'd really want to do that over any significant distance. It seems that Hertz et c won't let you tow with a rental car, so it seems the comedy option to get into a bumper pull TT is to rent a pickup from Enterprise Commercial lol.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Uhaul has regular pickup trucks that are rated to pull their cargo trailers

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
The only reasonable thing to do is buy a fully outfitted F450 so you can tow your trailer 500 miles a year.

I would look at renting a teardrop. You may just like it and not need to go bigger.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
In a few weeks the entire Trophy family hits the road in a typical class C motorhome for a tour of Zion, Bryce and North Rim. I have to admit I am a bit nervous about this. I have driven a borrowed one before on a 4 day/3 night trip, but this will be 10 days. We won't be driving every day. The family is looking forward to it, but my apprehension is growing a bit every day.

We already have spots reserved for Zion and Bryce, and plan on BLMing it in the Mojave and around North Rim. Not really worried about crowds at the parks, anything is better than SoCal.

Tell me to relax and that it will be fun.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Fool posted:

Uhaul has regular pickup trucks that are rated to pull their cargo trailers

While true, the mileage fees are killer and availability can be a pain in the rear end. Plus, they're absolute base minimum spec single cab trucks. If there's more than one passenger involved then that means driving a second vehicle alongside the rental.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

Tell me to relax and that it will be fun.

You'll be fiiiiine. Get sleep, have coffee or whatever, but most importantly, do not rush.
Things also go a lot smoother if you put together a simple checklist before leaving. I've seen a few newbies drive off with the stabilizer jacks down this season.

Atticus_1354 posted:

The only reasonable thing to do is buy a fully outfitted F450 so you can tow your trailer 500 miles a year.

~5k-mi/7mo of towing my truck camper with the f350, I want a F550*.

*so I can put a 9 ton trailer behind it. My truck....isn't gonna like that in its current config and motos would be nice.

IOwnCalculus posted:

While true, the mileage fees are killer and availability can be a pain in the rear end. Plus, they're absolute base minimum spec single cab trucks. If there's more than one passenger involved then that means driving a second vehicle alongside the rental.

Agreed. I wouldn't use U-haul long term for rv towing duties. They're not really known to maintain things.

Run whatever, truck prices are nuts. a lot can still be done with a suv + small high clearance towable with a rtt. Seeing a lot of old pickup bed conversions ranging from tacoma shortbeds on up to 12' long utility bodies being converted into overlanding campers.

A few months ago at a park in Lake Mead I saw an early bronco towing a lifted utility body of the 8' flavor with a roof top tent on it. They set up a table beside it for remote working, another was a galley. then the tent up top. Whole rig was on 35's and setup to get way off the beaten path.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

Things also go a lot smoother if you put together a simple checklist before leaving. I've seen a few newbies drive off with the stabilizer jacks down this season.

A checklist and doing a simple walk around are good habits to get in to.

cursedshitbox posted:

~5k-mi/7mo of towing my truck camper with the f350, I want a F550*.

You should upgrade and sell me your F350 because I am wildly in love with it.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 27, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I made physical checklists for hitching/unhitching and another one for general shutdown of the camper before leaving and it's done wonders for my peace of mind while driving.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
So I had a sway incident a month ago, not my RV, but it’s relevant anyways. I was hauling my 12’ 14k dump trailer with about 10,500lbs of gravel inside. Truck and trailer scaled about 23k leaving the quarry. I headed for the interstate and merged at about 50mph - the ramp was downhill but slightly curved with an odd camber change. Immediately the trailer swayed, and in about the time it took for me to realize the amplitude was increasing and grab the ohh poo poo trailer brake I found myself sideways, trailer tires locked, sway getting worse, looking at a semi about 20’ off my 9 with his brakes locked. It wasn’t my day, my tarp job was good, and I managed to slow down to about 30 and stop the sway. I examined the trailer once I got home and found that one tire was 60psi instead of 80, and that I had the ball height one inch too high so the trailer tongue sat roughly level rather than slightly nose down. This creates a situation with not enough tongue weight and the soft tire made it super sway prone.

I wound up ordering an electronic sway control from Tuson. Installed this weekend. It uses an accelerometer to measure sway and brakes only one side of a trailer to stop it. Pulled a nail out of the tire and jammed a plug in it, inflated all four to 80. Went back to the quarry today, got the same load of rock and repeated the drive home with no sway. The tuson unit has an led that blinks when it does something and on the highway it wasn’t having to intervene because I took the time to do some shoveling in the tarp yard for extra tounge weight. So I decided to test it out on some straight back roads close enough to my house that I can self recover if I wound up in a corn field. That sway unit works awesome. I raised the ball up 3” and leveled the load in the trailer. I could start a sway but before the amplitude got large enough to start wagging the rear axle of the truck the tuson would pull it back straight. If you guys have a sketchy trailer its well worth it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miE3MOcqn7E It would stop that after the first out of lane oscillation.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

rdb posted:

I examined the trailer once I got home and found that one tire was 60psi instead of 80
I have one of these as a cheap way to monitor my winter tires, but I've seen them used equally well for trailers. You can get extra sensors and even have it monitor both at the same time, this particular unit ships with four but can support up to 10. Temperatures can also be used to identify anything weird happening with a bearing or brake.

https://www.amazon.com/Tymate-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System/dp/B08DD29CTR/

The transmitters run on coin cells and go to sleep when the vehicle stops moving, the receiver has an internal lithium battery that charges from USB or a solar cell. I had mine in my car from January through a few weeks ago and never once had to charge it manually, the solar cell got plenty of light with the unit sitting on my dash.

These things are cheap insurance, you know immediately if something is off long before it becomes visually obvious. I had my tolerances set really tight when I first got it and parking with one wheel in a water-filled pothole caused it to lose a few PSI and alarm at me when I started driving until it warmed back up to normal.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I finally figured out that there IS a hose for my Camp Chef stove that will let me bypass the regulator on the stove and go straight from the QD on the back of my trailer.

https://www.sportsmans.com/camping-...hannel=shopping

Man I hope it works out because it would be super convenient to not have to lug around extra propane.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I’m trying to buy a shorter class a or longer class c right now and holy poo poo is it hard to find one in the PNW that isn’t best to poo poo from being lived in. Gonna drive from Portland to Seattle to look at something promising tomorrow but after the last couple rigs I looked at it’s hard to get too excited.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

therobit posted:

I’m trying to buy a shorter class a or longer class c right now and holy poo poo is it hard to find one in the PNW that isn’t best to poo poo from being lived in. Gonna drive from Portland to Seattle to look at something promising tomorrow but after the last couple rigs I looked at it’s hard to get too excited.

Probably gonna have to do a fly n buy off the coasts. Market is utter hell right now.

Amateur hour logging, downed trees blocking a road. Looks like someone tried to drag them out of the way but didn't have the mass or the winch to do so.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Is there a KBB for travel trailers? I may be getting one as a part time residence to save me some driving.

cursedshitbox posted:

Amateur hour logging, downed trees blocking a road. Looks like someone tried to drag them out of the way but didn't have the mass or the winch to do so.

That's good stuff.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Atticus_1354 posted:

Is there a KBB for travel trailers? I may be getting one as a part time residence to save me some driving.

That's good stuff.

NADA does All manor of recreation vehicles. Or at least their B2B platform does. I wouldn’t put much stock in it in the current market. Once it’s a normal market again it should be much more reliable.

I bought that Class A that I drove five and a half hours with my family to get. I’ll post some pics once I get an Imgur account and figure out how to use it. It’s an 89, and needs the cab AC serviced along with fixing the blower controls/fan, I will need to address some heat delamination on the outside ( the plywood is still solid) and I need new front tires.

God drat RV tires are expensive. I need a pair of 8R19.5s and they are close to 500 each. Anyone know a cheaper place to get them/ familiar with America’s or Dynatrac tires? I can’t seem to find the size on the Les Schwab, Firestone, or Tire Rack web sites. Also if I buy some online how much should I expect to pay for mounting?

Also, do Y’all think I can get a regular mechanic to work on my ac and blower controls since they are automotive parts, or do I need an Arab tech because they are not as common? It’s a Fleetwood Pace Arrow which so think is a Chevy platform and has a 454 big block.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I have seen r19.5s on sale at costco. Still expensive but michelin branded.

Any mechanic should be able to charge the ac but lord help you if it needs an evaporator core or some other hard part. Make sure you change all the fluids on that thing and pay close attention to the driveline.

Other than that enjoy.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

rdb posted:

I have seen r19.5s on sale at costco. Still expensive but michelin branded.

Any mechanic should be able to charge the ac but lord help you if it needs an evaporator core or some other hard part. Make sure you change all the fluids on that thing and pay close attention to the driveline.

Other than that enjoy.

Luckily the seller is an old dude that races drag cars that he builds as a hobby and changed all the fluids, belts. And some of the hoses prior to sale. He and his wife were very churchy but also thoroughly decent people and he handed be a hundred dollars back after I paid the agreed upon price and said “Put some gas in it son, and call me if you have trouble on the way back.” So I feel like I can actually trust him.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I would still suggest pulling fluid from the trans and diff myself, along with a thorough inspection of the driveshaft, u-joints and carrier bearings. Springs, shocks, bushings and kingpins too. Its probably a 3500 series chassis, however, putting a house on top has a similar effect to water pushing back on the hull of a boat. Its using 100% of its power for long periods of time to get by. This creates a lot of heat thats not always dealt with and things that would last a lifetime on a cube van are toast in 40k. That has been the experience of my wife and her family anyways.

Pics when you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Update: Tiny camper is still tiny.