Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A sword with the traditional pommel shape of "Hitchcock reaching for the last doughnut"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

the ‘sword handle’ looks more like a rifle butt and there’s the extra handle/extended mag protrusion? but why would the guy lie about the intended shape?

in short, this abused cobbling of wood is a land of contrasts

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i thought it was kind of evoking a sephiroth vibe

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
I would also like a guitar in the shape of my Congressional district

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

Calling it sword-shaped feels like the kind of excuse a 10th grader who got in trouble for bringing a rifle-shaped guitar to the talent show would think up on the spot.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Actuary X posted:

I would also like a guitar in the shape of my Congressional district

This Fendermandering has got to stop.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

A Kaiser challenger appears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP4SvTRcBPQ

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

After two minutes in I can confidently say he’s better than Kaiser.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Hey does anybody have that photo saved of the Most Awful guitar White Dog Eggs built a few years ago with our input?

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Snowy posted:

Agreed. I'm very into that guitar he's playing.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Hey does anybody have that photo saved of the Most Awful guitar White Dog Eggs built a few years ago with our input?

Found it.

If WDE is still alive... can we do another one? :D

e: Update it for modern times, replace T=O=NEZ with Live Love Laugh

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 19, 2021

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Snowy posted:

Maybe, but it's like comparing dogshit to catshit. gently caress the both of em

E: oh what a surprise, 16:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6t7tYGaRMw

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

So this is what having a stroke sounds like.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i miss white dog eggs, hope he's ok

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What the loving hell is that pickguard?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

sigher posted:

What the loving hell is that pickguard?

It honestly looks like he riveted on a piece of leather. Or Naugahyde.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Okay I think I have an idea who this Kaiser person is from some of the links posted, but is there a particular infamous video or something that is at the peak of... whatever this technique is? I feel like I'm missing the joke somewhat.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It is technique beyond technique, music beyond music. It is the next step in human evolution.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

The guy is so influential they named this bread after him... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiser_roll?wprov=sfla1

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

I cbf looking it up, but there's a Henry video where he's like "well here's a custom made 10000 dollar guitar, made of rarest bubinga and lignum vitae, let's plug it in and see how it sounds" and then plays it thru a flanger and phaser and pitch shifter set on full. Top trolling (if that's his game)

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Chrpno posted:

I cbf looking it up, but there's a Henry video where he's like "well here's a custom made 10000 dollar guitar, made of rarest bubinga and lignum vitae, let's plug it in and see how it sounds" and then plays it thru a flanger and phaser and pitch shifter set on full. Top trolling (if that's his game)

I guess at least it's not generic white blues lick #3 or YouTube Metal like every other gear demo for the last decade.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

I wouldn't put him in the same league as Kaiser. I get what this guy is doing, trying to push the sound he can get out of a guitar as far as he can, and he is clearly making the sounds he intends to make, whereas Kaiser has no clue what he's doing at all times.

This guy is still a the kind of douchebag that looks like he wanted to get a doctorate in guitar or want to push jazz to the next level or some other excuse to justify making noise rock without the rock.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It's like the dude from berried alive from the future.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

OutOfPrint posted:

I wouldn't put him in the same league as Kaiser. I get what this guy is doing, trying to push the sound he can get out of a guitar as far as he can, and he is clearly making the sounds he intends to make, whereas Kaiser has no clue what he's doing at all times.

This guy is still a the kind of douchebag that looks like he wanted to get a doctorate in guitar or want to push jazz to the next level or some other excuse to justify making noise rock without the rock.

:agreed:

He used to frequently play at the knitting factory with people like John Zorn and collaborated with Glenn Branca.

His stuff is way noodlier than I like but at least it isn’t monkeycheese bullshit like Kaiser

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Jackson Pollock is an extremely respected painter, to say the least. This is a painting by Jackson Pollock:

You might look at this painting and think it's nonsense. But there's something to it. It's intentional nonsense. There's a famous story about Pollock where a reporter was speaking to him while he was working in his studio. The reporter looks at the painting and says something like "That looks like bullshit. Anybody could do that. Why should anybody respect what you're doing, specifically?" Pollock's answer to this question was, from about 20 feet away, to flick a small wad of paint from his brush across the room at the reporter, landing square on the reporter's shoe. Pollock smiled.

Here is another, earlier piece by Pollock:

It is an art deco styled depiction of the American steel worker. Pollock was truly talented. His most famous works, while they might initially appear chaotic, were entirely intentionally and meticulously crafted statements and representations of clear ideas.

Henry Kaiser is not like Jackson Pollock.

Kaiser and musicians like him do not have any underlying, foundational understanding of music or their chosen means of artistic expression at all. Unlike Pollock, Kaiser has no developed inner world of broader understanding from which his art emerges. It's a meaningless collapse of unintentional, amateur accidents coming from a man who has had an entire life's worth of free time to devote to his craft, but in that time has somehow not advanced his own technical proficiency or musicality at all.

I could at least respect Kaiser if he was ever able to demonstrate any "traditional" technical proficiency with the guitar if he wanted because that would mean the bullshit he normally plays is "intentionally bad on purpose" but he can't, so it's not. Listening to Kaiser is literally no different than just dropping $80,000 worth of gear off at any random boomer's house who has never touched an instrument before, strapping a guitar onto them, and then recording whatever happened when you said "make this thing make some sounds for a couple of minutes."

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 26, 2021

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Snowy posted:

:agreed:

He used to frequently play at the knitting factory with people like John Zorn and collaborated with Glenn Branca.

His stuff is way noodlier than I like but at least it isn’t monkeycheese bullshit like Kaiser

Henry is a massive dork but you don't get invited to play with Herbie Hancock (or Fred Frith, Richard Thompson, Nels Cline and indeed John Zorn etc) unless there's at least intent behind your flailing. They're all players who Get free improv and have repeatedly worked with him when they didn't have to so I have to assume they see something I don't.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

Jackson Pollock is an extremely respected painter, to say the least. This is a painting by Jackson Pollock:

You might look at this painting and think it's nonsense. But there's something to it. It's intentional nonsense. There's a famous story about Pollock where a reporter was speaking to him while he was working in his studio. The reporter looks at the painting and says something like "That looks like bullshit. Anybody could do that. Why should anybody respect what you're doing, specifically?" Pollock's answer to this question was, from about 20 feet away, to flick a wad of paint from his brush across the room at the reporter, landing square on the reporter's shoe. Pollock smiled.

Here is another, earlier piece by Pollock:

It is an art deco styled depiction of the American steel worker. Pollock was truly talented. His most famous works, while they might initially appear chaotic, were entirely intentionally and meticulously crafted statements and representations of clear ideas.

Henry Kaiser is not like Jackson Pollock.

Kaiser and musicians like him do not have any underlying, foundational understanding of music or their chosen means of artistic expression at all. Unlike Pollock, Kaiser has no developed inner world of broader understanding from which his art emerges. It's a meaningless collapse of unintentional, amateur accidents coming from a man who has had an entire life's worth of free time to devote to his craft, but has not.

:chloe:

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Best part is the kids running around in the background.

The Kaiser stuff I've watched (with the clip with Kevin from The Office playing bass just wailing away the background right now) makes me think his thing is just deliberately playing the worst possible melody. It sounds like it's in time, which seems to indicate some sort of underlying purpose to it - it's just so grating and awful. It's perhaps difficult to play so badly in that a normal player might accidentally bang out a short melody in key or a delightful progression and just completely annihilate the carefully crafted tension.

(reposted clip)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hiWeClAk4g

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

darkwasthenight posted:

Henry is a massive dork but you don't get invited to play with Herbie Hancock (or Fred Frith, Richard Thompson, Nels Cline and indeed John Zorn etc) unless there's at least intent behind your flailing. They're all players who Get free improv and have repeatedly worked with him when they didn't have to so I have to assume they see something I don't.

Kaiser has something that far surpasses skill and talent, though. Dude's loving WEALTHY. Being able to supply the best cocaine around without even thinking of the financial cost can get any musician tons of friends.

Don't get me wrong, I love Kaiser because he passes off the right people in the most hilarious ways.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

this is so bad that my brain half refuses to believe it’s real

like, someone must have dubbed over the video with random terrible noodling to make fun of him, right? except nope, real

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hi guys!

Really relieved to see the thread back and behaving normally. Fingers crossed it stays this way awhile longer. Happy Fathers' Day, breeders!

Today I am going to have to decide if this box was just what I needed or if I am Stupid Music poo poo for spending so much on a Line 6 product. First impression is the features are awesome but the amp sounds are... terrible? I've got to practice building a few sounds myself but the word I would use right now is "lifeless." The effects, on the other hand, seem to be pretty great. This one might be going back.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 20, 2021

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A lot of jazz players are lovely or have spent too much time up in their butts, though.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

Hi guys!

Really relieved to see the thread back and behaving normally. Fingers crossed it stays this way awhile longer. Happy Fathers' Day, breeders!

Today I am going to have to decide if this box was just what I needed or if I am Stupid Music poo poo for spending so much on a Line 6 product. First impression is the features are awesome but the amp sounds are... terrible? I've got to practice building a few sounds myself but the word I would use right now is "lifeless." The effects, on the other hand, seem to be pretty great. This one might be going back.

Yeah that's pretty on par with what most people say about it. Most of the pro guys who use the HX Stomp use it for effects-only and never touch the amp models.

If you want really good amp models along with good effects in the same kind of package, you're looking at a Fractal FM3 which is more expensive, but it's also fantastic.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

i dunno man i’ve been using the Stomp as my only amp for a year or two now and I love it. Twin/Princeton/AC30 models are cool with me.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

Hi guys!

You just need to gently caress around with the IR/cab models. The amp models are great but as usual they need to be paired with the right IR.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the responses, here's a quick update:

I just dove in and launched HX Edit and started building a preset. Went kinda like this: Find a Tweed amp and 4x10" cab. Ugh that sounds terrible. Start dialing: low-to-mid drive, max channel volume, master volume about 3/4, and the the tone stack - pull back this bass, goose the mids, start pushing the treble and presence way up. This is starting to sound alive almost. So what would I do next if I could do whatever? Put a mild compressor first in the chain. Great help, I can really hear the character of my specific guitar now. Put an "OCD" after the compressor, low drive, good volume boost, mid eq. No ambience or IRs yet. I've got a tough, gritty, bluesy tone that's plenty bright.

And that sounds at least decent (at first blush, if you will.)

I'm trying to figure out how to make a stereo amp pair next, because I had a lot of fun with the POD HD doing that and this amp sim definitely has some deeper modeling (tube amp stuff like sag and bias and ripple and bias X... gotta play with that stuff and see what it does.)

All I am taking away so early is the thing is pretty intuitive and there could very well be fun toanz in there.

So the questions I will be asking myself are a) can I get sounds out of this thing to help me enjoy my Blues Jr. more often (this is why I would be pleased to have some decent amp sounds for practice/noodling) and b) if not, am I still willing to spend this much money and just use the effects (which is a distinct possibility but will require a deep dive to determine).

Not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

How are you listening to it? Headphones, FRFR or PA speaker?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

there are so many ways to tweak, i think anyone should be able to find a good sound out of any of these current gen modelers. find the interface you like and stick with it.

for me, i went straight to helix’s stock twin and thought ‘hey that sounds like the amp i’ve used’ and that was that. direct to mixer and flat response headphones, i’ve never been happier with my setup.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I’ve been using modelers for a while, and I can tell you that if you are using amp models with studio monitors or a PA system, or some other kind of full range system like that, the absolute most important thing you can do is find the right cabinet impulse response, or mix of impulse responses, that work for you. Believe it or not, at any given gain or distortion level, the cab actually has more of an effect on your sound overall than your amp. That’s a hard pill to swallow for some people, especially because amps are so much more fun and interesting than cabs, but there you go.

Also, the vast majority of impulse responses will sound stupid. Get ready to only like a very small handful out of the hundreds you might try. But once you find the right ones, pretty much everything you put through them will start off sounding at least alright, and from there you can tweak the amp models into sounding really good.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

darkwasthenight posted:

I don’t know which of these guitars is Kaiser but this slaps??

https://youtu.be/nsLj41ZcBMA