Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

otter posted:

gives people time to play through Psychonauts 1

I'm going to install and play Psychonauts now because 2 looks cool as hell and I somehow missed out on the original when it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

American McGay posted:

I don't even like Halo and this sound like the worst idea of all time, lmfao.

Honestly I agree. My real point is that the levels they showed look like updated levels of the same poo poo I played at LAN parties on the original Xbox.

I understand that’s what most fans want. To me personally it’s stagnation and why I can’t get excited about Halo even though I’m a ride-or-die Xbox haver.

edit: full disclosure I didn’t play 5 because I’ve just had enough. Maybe 5 re-invented the wheel. That’s certainly not what I heard, but hey, maybe long-term fans felt that way. The only memorable diversion I felt they made was ODST. I wanna see more of that.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 14, 2021

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm an outsider but my understanding is that Halo 3 MP was the high point of everyone's HS/college gaming memories and everyone hates 4 and 5 so it's no wonder they're going back to the classic look and feel. It's very much intentional.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

American McGay posted:

I'm an outsider but my understanding is that Halo 3 MP was the high point of everyone's HS/college gaming memories and everyone hates 4 and 5 so it's no wonder they're going back to the classic look and feel. It's very much intentional.

More like 2 was the high point imo. But 1’s MP was flawless.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

American McGay posted:

I hated 4 and 5 for their campaign but for multiplayer my primary issue with 4 is the unnecessary Promethean weaponry when the covie/human balance was pretty great. 5 had the sin of Req Packs and a game mode that utilized the weapon/vehicles from those lootboxes as a mechanic advantage.

I'm also the big nerd who loved seeing Valhalla again in the trailer.

Evil Badman fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 14, 2021

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Apparently the whole point of Halo Infinite is to revisit the style of the original Halo and give people that classic ring with an updated take on the gameplay with the more powerful hardware that's available today. The levels and environments are supposed to look like updated versions of Halo 1 according to 343, since it's a return-to-roots type of thing for the singleplayer.

I'm not fond of that aesthetic either though and honestly think it looks pretty ugly and is a big step backwards for 343 artistically because they can do so much better, but I think revisiting that original style and goal was something they wanted to try and why they've dropped the number from the name now, it seems like even though it continues the story they're also going for a soft reboot of sorts?

Evil Badman posted:

I'm also the big nerd who loved seeing Valhalla again in the trailer.

I don't think it was Valhalla/Ragnarok. I know the base looked the same but the environment looked to have a very different layout? Kinda bummed since the Forerunner architecture in Halo 4 looked really nice and they've reverted to something older and more basic in that footage we saw which is kind of a downer. It could very well be the same map however and it's just the shots/angles throwing me? Hope they keep the mechs for stompy action :twisted:

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 14, 2021

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Fair. It evokes the same memories.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

It's basically the same base design so I'm not surprised. There's one shot in the trailer where you see the ship fly overhead and you get a fairly decent look at the environment if you pause and yeah, it's definitely not Valhalla. The bases aren't opposite each other and it seems to have a sort of Z-shaped layout, with much more terrain and verticality. Looks about twice the size of Valhalla in that shot from above, and you can't even see the middle section or enemy base. Makes me wonder if BTB will see an increase in player count?

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

I hope so. Big team battle with objectives were always my jam.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Probably never going to buy an Xbox, I'm sure as hell going to keep my PC game pass subscription.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

American McGay posted:

I'm too old and didn't get an Xbox 360 until Christmas after I graduated. But I was an OG Xbox early adopter and there were enough folks on our college network with them that there was a very lovely pickup LAN community on campus for Halo 1 and 2 and those were fairly glorious times.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Raged posted:

Probably never going to buy an Xbox, I'm sure as hell going to keep my PC game pass subscription.
Thankfully, as seen in the Epic trial, MS is concentrating its efforts on making the term "Xbox" include PC as a platform so they can say a game is Xbox exclusive when it releases on PC day one

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The 'X' in X-Box used to stand for Direct X, it's true folks look it up!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Cowards calling it the PlayStation 3 instead of OpenGL-Box

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Daric posted:

What else do we have left this year? Gamescom in August and maybe an Xbox Games Showcase though that was in July last year and I'd assume we'd already have heard if they were doing it again this year.

I really wish we would have seen some mention of Fable and Avowed.

Ninja Theory, Rare, and Obsidian are all going to be at an event on Thursday.

https://twitter.com/vicious696/status/1404147033875705858?s=21

Jeff Grubb thinks Hellblade 2 will show up there in a making-of form, so other games may as well.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Fly Ricky posted:

I also don’t know how anyone could possibly be looking forward to a Halo game in any way/shape/form. Physics and graphics look “good”, but they’ve been stubbornly sticking to the same general aesthetic since the first (and I’m old enough to have been a college student when that came out so I’ve got nostalgia, if you want to call it that).

I am old and I don't want my Halo to change :colbert:

Halo 4 + 5 was already too much change for me so I'm hoping they get back to the 'real' Halo feel which is the gameplay of Halo 3.

edit: I should have read the other posts before posting as I'm just repeating what others have said.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Xbox series x / s headsets in good stock st my local Walmart. Went home, turned in a bunch of bing rewards points and got a pair ordered for $60

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Scored a Series X! Somehow. Not sure how, to be honest, I thought I wouldn't be able to get one for quite a while longer due to the chip shortage, but I'm not complaining.

Redownloading all my Xbox 360 poo poo and a bunch of Game Pass stuff. I never had an Xbone, is there anything I should know or look out for? Specific exclusives, stuff that doesn't have a PC version, stuff that's better on consoles than on the PC for whatever reason, stuff like that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rare Replay :greenangel:

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Outer Wilds is only on console Gamepass if you somehow haven't played it yet

If you have nostalgia for old sports games then NHL 94 Rewind is also console only, you can't buy it separately on any platform afaik so console gamepass is the only way to play it without buying the latest NHL game

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lol what's with PC gaming people spending $500 on a Series X?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Halo shines at team focused gameplay with objectives.

I can absolutely join a COD match mid game and be down 50% and turn it around to win just wrecking with killstreaks. It is/was significantly harder to do that in halo3.

A good team playing as a team in cod is also effective, but not as important really until you're at the pointy end of competition.

If they make the gameplay reliant on your team working together to score objectives and well balanced vehicles (capturing what made halo great to begin with), halo will do well. You can absolutely modernise the franchise with faster movement and mechanics from the big AAA titles and slick coat of paint. It's free which is a huge bonus too.

As long as the maps are good and they keep the game types and maps fresh it has every chance to do well.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

American McGay posted:

Eh, it's cheaper than spending the money that's burning a hole in their pocket on kickstarter Switch knockoffs or whatever.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i'd pay double that to not have to use a PC

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

American McGay posted:

I'm primarily a PC gamer (with a Switch) and I got a Series X at launch, haven't regretted it for a second. There's always good new stuff to play, the backwards-compat titles I care about run better than on original hardware, and it's absurd how much the instant load times + quick resume matter.

I'll get a PS5 in a few years to catch up with that system's exclusives, but this is great. The PC has become my strategy, overhead RPG, and VR game machine.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Unless Microsoft does something amazing or Sony royally fucks up I'll definitely pick up a PS5 Pro or Slim at some point.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I can't tell if people were happy with or unhappy with this conference, I see a lot of people going BEST CONFERENCE EVER but personally I was like ok, I'm glad there's a new Forza soon and then "here's something that might come to gamepass in 18 months"

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It sounds like it was better than what everyone else was offering up for e3.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Flight Sim is now available for pre-install. But also not really because it's only 297MB.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I can't tell if people were happy with or unhappy with this conference, I see a lot of people going BEST CONFERENCE EVER but personally I was like ok, I'm glad there's a new Forza soon and then "here's something that might come to gamepass in 18 months"
Forza looks incredible and it's coming in like 5 months. Halo multi looks like it might actually be kinda fun. Flight Sim was expected but it's still great to see and definitely something to get excited about. Also a poo poo ton of games coming to Game Pass day one. I don't know what more you could ask for. Also I don't know what game you're referring to with "here's something that might come to Game Pass in 18 months". Whatever that Arkane game was is Summer 22, and every single Microsoft game is Game Pass day one, no exceptions.

Also the pacing was such a breath of fresh air after 3 days of the boring "talk for 6 minutes and then show a trailer" format. Sure there were lulls and obviously not every game announced is going to appeal to everyone but it's hard to come out of that and not feel like it was a solid A- type performance.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

John F Bennett posted:

Flight Sim is now available for pre-install. But also not really because it's only 297MB.

drat, they really got their compression methods down!

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

BisterdDave posted:

drat, they really got their compression methods down!

Or they're really leaning into the cloud :v:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

This is the first halo I'll try day one since 3, thanks to gamepass, but that trailer really looked fun. We'll see if that holds, as i know there's a reason i eventually bounce off the series.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

So I haven't touched an xbox since the 360 days but now I'm tempted since MS bought Obsidian and Bethesda. Since it's only for a couple games and I have a PS5, I reckon I would go for the basic model.

Did the poor person xbox live up to the hype and provide the same experience at lower resolution, or do I need to get the expensive model for raytracing and good performance? I don't care about being in 4k particularly, but if there is a version of the game with raytracing I want that version.

I know I could get the gamepass streaming thing and play on my mac, but I doubt my internet is good enough, and I don't like the idea of not owning my games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A Plague Tale was one of my favorite games of 2019 and I'm glad that Asobo got that Microsoft $$$ to make a sequel. Definitely my favorite new announcement from this E3.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Get the X imo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

1) If you want always want raytracing, spring for the more expensive model. This isn't to say the Series S can't do it, but there are a handful of titles where it doesn't get the choice and the X has more headroom so it can do 60fps Raytracing in places where the S can't.

2) If you buy an Xbox and don't get game pass for it, where the titles are downloaded locally and not streamed, you gotta accept you are missing out on what is Xbox's entire focus as a brand now and where basically 90% of the value of owning one comes from*

*The other 10% is quick resume and back compat. Get on that Sony

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

marktheando posted:

Did the poor person xbox live up to the hype and provide the same experience at lower resolution, or do I need to get the expensive model for raytracing and good performance? I don't care about being in 4k particularly, but if there is a version of the game with raytracing I want that version.

The Series S is cool, and would fit very well as a secondary/Game Pass machine. It does support ray tracing, but RT has been one of the things to get pared down or cut altogether in the Series S version of some games versus the Series X.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Hmm, thanks folks. Ray tracing is so cool, I don't know if I would want to go without it, but I don't really want to spend £450 on a console for 2 or 3 games. I guess I have a long time to think about it before Starfield and Avowed come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

marktheando posted:

Hmm, thanks folks. Ray tracing is so cool, I don't know if I would want to go without it, but I don't really want to spend £450 on a console for 2 or 3 games. I guess I have a long time to think about it before Starfield and Avowed come out.

I have both and in my experience you'll end up getting gamepass and just playing everything on the xbox over the PS5.