Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

forkboy84 posted:

If you think about it, a Scot took the game to Brazil so really football's home is Scotland.

But you just said football isn't coming home so really you're just dissing your own team :thunkher:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

When you're getting absolutely monstered by your (nominal) political opponent, your options seem to be:

A. Admit you suck loving poo poo.

B. Admit that the public are loving morons.

C. Assert that your opponent is cool and good and better than you.

D. Reframe the question somehow (?).

I guess D is essentially "doing politicking" but Kieth is not really a politican and seems to have no knack for doing that. A and B are out of the question, so C it is

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rarity posted:

But you just said football isn't coming home so really you're just dissing your own team :thunkher:

When you've been a Scotland fan for the past 23 years you've come accustomed to assuming the worst as a defence mechanism.

https://twitter.com/forkboy84/status/873599834070167553?s=20

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Gonzo McFee posted:

The Labour party are now for people who would vote Tory if they didn't have a personal stake in the Labour party.

Seriously we're like two weeks away after the Government's chief advisor coming out and saying that the Tory party dramatically hosed up everything and Boris personally said "I don't care, let the bodies pile up high" and it's just a distant memory now. How is that not on the lips of every person going anywhere near a camera?

keith went on the radio and said it's actually quite bad that people can't have big wedding parties because of the delay :nono:

like :how:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
uuururururg vobte labour we are thuh pawtuh of bug weddung parties and we wull huv zero tolberance on ice cream vans sellung individual bugs of crusps from multipucks!!! :mad: ururughhghghhg

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Kieth Starmer really is Minister of the Opposition.

I didn't have any strong feelings about him when he got in as Labour leader but now I've seen him in action I can only appreciate what a useless bellend he really is. There have been some very occasional brights spots - for example his line of questioning on that PM question time about the number 10 furnishing turning Boris into a raging spluttering lunatic - but overall he gives so much back that any "wins" he does get are almost immediately returned.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

who's going to replace big Arlene?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I think Starmer's biggest issue (other than being a massive dork that nobody likes) is that hasn't realised that politics has polarised in the last 5-10 years. In every single statement he's trying to appease both sides ("I wouldn't have taken part in the vote to take down the picutre of the queen but it's their common room and legally they can do that") without realising that both sides are just going to assume the worst instead of hearing that he's partially on their side. In the queen picture issue, the right wing only hear "They're allowed to do that" and everyone else hears "I would definitely keep the picture up in fact I have 3 in my living room". So everyone hates him and he looks like a wet egg clutching a pint on TV.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

kecske posted:

who's going to replace big Arlene?

new DUP leader has put up a bloke called paul givan, probably because the former is aware that he has the charisma of a prolapsed rectum

there is a week for sinn fein to approve his nomination but they want guarantees about irish language legislation and the thing givan is known for is pulling funding for irish language teaching so it's quite possible that the assembly will collapse and we will have elections, again

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
it's tempting to think that this time the DUP might finally get their comeuppance but i've thought that so many times before and they really are karma dodging bastards

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

OwlFancier posted:

Basically gently caress all unfortunately :v: there were a few people out with hammers but I was mostly looking for just anything I could see, but aside from a lot of fresh divots and a tiny lump of what might have been plant stem I didn't find anything, seems pretty well picked over and the weed on everything makes it hard to spot on a lot of the shelf.

Also went to have a look for jet too but only found sea coal as far as I can tell, not that I would be much good at telling them apart.

Scratch it on a rock, if it comes up orange it's jet. I see where you are now, if you go back try Saltwick Bay just a bit south of where you're taking those photos. The other side of Saltwick Nab over towards the bit of sandy beach is the best place I've ever found for ammonites.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Miftan posted:

I think Starmer's biggest issue (other than being a massive dork that nobody likes) is that hasn't realised that politics has polarised in the last 5-10 years. In every single statement he's trying to appease both sides ("I wouldn't have taken part in the vote to take down the picutre of the queen but it's their common room and legally they can do that") without realising that both sides are just going to assume the worst instead of hearing that he's partially on their side. In the queen picture issue, the right wing only hear "They're allowed to do that" and everyone else hears "I would definitely keep the picture up in fact I have 3 in my living room". So everyone hates him and he looks like a wet egg clutching a pint on TV.
I don't think it's even a recent polarisation thing, trying to hedge like that has always been stupid. If one group supports thingummiebobbing and another group opposes it, saying "I neither support nor oppose thingummiebobbing" is just simultaneously disagreeing with both groups.

Trying to appeal to both left and right has literally never won an election - mostly, because it's an obviously stupid thing to do so nobody has even bothered before. What Blair did was not that, New Labour had the whole end of history/third way thing going on - sure it was all a con, but it was an actual unique product that they were selling to the electorate, not just abortions for some & tiny american flags for others.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sanford posted:

Scratch it on a rock, if it comes up orange it's jet. I see where you are now, if you go back try Saltwick Bay just a bit south of where you're taking those photos. The other side of Saltwick Nab over towards the bit of sandy beach is the best place I've ever found for ammonites.

Yeah I didn't know saltwick existed and we almost got drownded already with the tide between whitby harbour and saltwick. I thought it was just all cliff for miles east of whitby bay.

Someone told me the rock trick but they said it was brown vs black which I'm not too good at.

Looking it up though yeah it seems to be a really bright colour, should be able to tell that apart easy enough.

Might see if I can get down there more often then. Though it is a bit unsettling having to keep one eye on the tide and the cliff keeps making crunching noises as it drops bits of rock on you.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 14, 2021

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Miftan posted:

Yeah, in every utterance, in every interview, he's forever trying to position himself in a moderate centre ground that I don't believe really exists any more. Contrast that with the government, who are very deliberately campaigning on issues designed to rouse up their own supporters and divide and demoralise their opponents, so that there's a continual triumphant, battling tone to their news coverage. You can see in the polls exactly how effective these contrasting tactics are.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
people in control of labour and the guardian just refuse to accept that it's not 1997 anymore

like it mostly boils down to just that imo

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
like you know how in 1997, it was 1997? all of the things that had happened up to 1997 created the circumstances in which tonty blair could win general elections as labour leader

but the thing is it's not 1997, now, and nearly a quarter of a century's worth of more things have happened between 1997 and now

that's the bit they don't understand

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
poo poo i meant 1998 didn't i

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

In 1997, they didn't campaign on poo poo policies. They campaigned on minimum wage, sure start, things can only get better (then got in & implented a bunch of poo poo policies). Nowadays, all they remember is the poo poo policies, and forget that you actually need a positive vision in order to get elected in the first place.

I don't reckon that pulling D:Ream out of retirement to sing things can only stay the same you imbecile, you loving moron would have quite the same effect

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I didn't know saltwick existed and we almost got drownded already with the tide between whitby harbour and saltwick. I thought it was just all cliff for miles east of whitby bay.

Someone told me the rock trick but they said it was brown vs black which I'm not too good at.

Looking it up though yeah it seems to be a really bright colour, should be able to tell that apart easy enough.

Might see if I can get down there more often then. Though it is a bit unsettling having to keep one eye on the tide and the cliff keeps making crunching noises as it drops bits of rock on you.

Go in and out from the base of the cliff, not along it. Makes it easier to spot potentially dangerous bits and if you do have to flee you'll automatically go out towards the sea, rather than sideways and get squished. A young girl died along there not too long ago so you're right to be cautious.

If you're a local you'd be welcome to pop down next time I'm visiting and I'll teach you all I know (very little). It's over two hours drive for me but I try and get a couple of times a year. I'll drop you a PM next time I'm going which you can respond to or ignore at your leisure.

The bits worth keeping from my last trip, and a load of assorted bits for giving away:

Edit: if you're on the beach and you hear someone frantically blowing what sounds like a Second World War Battle of El-Alamein sergeant's whistle, it's me and I'm stuck. Help!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Borrovan posted:

I don't think it's even a recent polarisation thing, trying to hedge like that has always been stupid. If one group supports thingummiebobbing and another group opposes it, saying "I neither support nor oppose thingummiebobbing" is just simultaneously disagreeing with both groups.

Trying to appeal to both left and right has literally never won an election - mostly, because it's an obviously stupid thing to do so nobody has even bothered before. What Blair did was not that, New Labour had the whole end of history/third way thing going on - sure it was all a con, but it was an actual unique product that they were selling to the electorate, not just abortions for some & tiny american flags for others.

I'm not sure that's true. I think a centre ground can sort of exist when you've got militant communists on one side and authoritarian fascists on the other. Granted, that centre ground is soc-dems at best but more likely neoliberals, but it can exist. In any case, that's all academic since the current situation is between fascists like Farage and neoliberals who lean right wing.

But yeah, you can't say 'I don't approve of either sides of this argument really' and expect people to adore you. If you don't have strong convictions then people notice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mostly just go when they send me for work because yeah it's a fair drive for me as well, and it's hard to know what the weather will be doing. Appreciate the offer though.

You also have a sample of the thing I found a small lump of:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Borrovan posted:

I don't reckon that pulling D:Ream out of retirement to sing things can only stay the same you imbecile, you loving moron would have quite the same effect

You're too late.

https://youtu.be/g0w6fpTo5Tg

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Isomermaid posted:

Well yes but then Twitter at the moment has Eric Clapton complaining about vaccine side-effects and being thoughtfully retweeted as a common-sense truth-teller by Right Said Fred so while you're not wrong, per se, I think we should consider that the state of Twitter discourse is so baffling that I'm seriously wondering if I fell into a coma in the late 90s and my brain has been trying to invent increasingly bizarre events to try and get me to wake up.

Yeah, I keep remembering the time I puked so hard I passed out and woke up face up on the floor with my head wedged between the loo and the wall, and wondering whether present so-called reality is just a long-drawn-out drowned-in-my-own-vomit hell.

If so I apologise for dragging everyone else into it.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Sanford posted:

Go in and out from the base of the cliff, not along it. Makes it easier to spot potentially dangerous bits and if you do have to flee you'll automatically go out towards the sea, rather than sideways and get squished. A young girl died along there not too long ago so you're right to be cautious.

Also check tide tables! When I was kid my mum used to clip the tide tables out of the newspaper and stick them up in the kitchen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Also check tide tables! When I was kid my mum used to clip the tide tables out of the newspaper and stick them up in the kitchen.

I did do that but annoying the website was out by like two hours...

You would think they would have a board or something near the beach with them listed but apparently not.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Did not know Jones was Dutch.

Borrovan posted:

Trying to appeal to both left and right has literally never won an election - mostly, because it's an obviously stupid thing to do so nobody has even bothered before.
I still think the problem with Starmer is that he got bumped to leader with very little actual political experience, and what little experience he does have is from that brief period of insanity around the brexit votes when tactics like 'abstain & amend' and talking about cross-party voting alliances actually worked.

The way things worked under a minority coalition that couldn't control it's MPs is completely different to how it works under a majority government that will happily beat MPs to death if they stray an inch from policy.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

OwlFancier posted:

I did do that but annoying the website was out by like two hours...

You would think they would have a board or something near the beach with them listed but apparently not.

https://tides.willyweather.co.uk/ is absolutely infallible, in my experience. Comes in fast across the big flat bits so you need to watch it.

OwlFancier posted:

You also have a sample of the thing I found a small lump of:

That's a belemnite. Pointy end of a prehistoric squid. All those things that look like smooth teeth in my pic.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Anyone know a good place to find fossils down Dorset way that won't be crazy crowded in summer?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Did not know Jones was Dutch.

I still think the problem with Starmer is that he got bumped to leader with very little actual political experience, and what little experience he does have is from that brief period of insanity around the brexit votes when tactics like 'abstain & amend' and talking about cross-party voting alliances actually worked.

The way things worked under a minority coalition that couldn't control it's MPs is completely different to how it works under a majority government that will happily beat MPs to death if they stray an inch from policy.

I think the problem with Starmer is that he has no loving idea of what he is doing and no actual principles to cleave to when he finds himself rudderless, which is most of the time. So he sways like a flag in the breeze. Not only does he seemingly not have the courage of his convictions, he hasn't actually got the convictions (other than those he amassed as DPP).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Neoliberal centrists campaign on fake leftism, do the bare minimum of it and otherwise empty centrism when they get in charge, then blame the inevitable backlash on being too far left. The end result of discarding every single policy because the Murdoch press pitched a fit about it is having absolutely nothing.

It's also that they're actively trying to please the press that is actively opposed to their very existence. It's like the world's dumbest kind of gaslighting.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Good to see that Scotland can still be relied on to choke comically in international football tournaments.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

OzyMandrill posted:

Anyone know a good place to find fossils down Dorset way that won't be crazy crowded in summer?

Charmouth is a good bet imo.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

Good to see that Scotland can still be relied on to choke comically in international football tournaments.

Goal of the tournament tho, even if keeper was off down the shops getting a pack of smokes

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
it would be v funny if scotland beat england hehehehe

just absolute carnage in every wetherspoons in the land

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

crispix posted:

it would be v funny if scotland beat england hehehehe

just absolute carnage in every wetherspoons in the land

Guaranteed Scottish Independence vote-winner.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Westminster declares independence from Scotland in order to kick them out of the football.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

So the data which prompted the governments about-face on lockdown easing is out.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)01358-1/fulltext

Public Health Scotland posted:

Overall, a strong vaccine effect did not clearly manifest until at least 28 days after the first vaccine dose (HR 0·32, 95% CI 0·22–0·46; appendix p 3). Among S gene-negative cases, the effect of vaccination (at least 28 days after first or second dose) was to reduce the risk of hospital admission (HR 0·28, 95% CI 0·18–0·43) compared to unvaccinated. The corresponding hazard ratio for risk of hospital admission for S gene-positive cases was 0·38 (95% CI 0·24–0·58), with an interaction test p value of 0·19, suggesting that there was no evidence of a differential vaccine effect on hospital admissions among those first testing positive (appendix p 4).

Public Health Scotland posted:

compared to those unvaccinated, at least 14 days after the second dose, BNT162b2 (Pfizer–BioNTech vaccine) offered very good protection: 92% (95% CI 90–93) S gene-negative, 79% (75–82) S gene-positive. Protection associated with ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 (Oxford–AstraZeneca vaccine) was, however, substantial but reduced: 73% (95% CI 66–78) for S gene-negative cases versus 60% (53–66) for those S gene-positive (appendix p 6).

Takeaways: (S gene-positive is Delta variant, S gene-negative is Alpha)

Single vaccine dose protection against Delta variant 80% -> 33%
Pfizer 2 doses protection against Delta variant 92% -> 79%
Astrazeneca 2 doses protection against Delta variant 73% -> 60%

Vaccine effectiveness against hospiitalisation overall halved and if you turned up positive for delta, even amongst people who were not that ill the vaccines didn't meaningfully reduce the chances of you being hospitalised.

Boris really really reaaaalllly hosed it by refusing to stop travel from India as late as he did.

Saros fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 14, 2021

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Saros posted:

So the PHE data which prompted the governments about-face on lockdown easing is out.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)01358-1/fulltext

Takeaways: (S gene positive is Delta variant, S Gene negative is Alpha)

Single vaccine dose protection against Delta variant 80% -> 33%
Pfizer 2 doses protection against Delta variant 92% -> 79%
Astrazeneca 2 doses protection against Delta variant 73% -> 60%

Vaccine effectiveness against hospiitalisation overall halved and if you turned up positive for delta, even amongst people who were not that ill the vaccines didn't reduce the chances of you being hospitalised.

lol

excellent

so glad we didn't bother taking precautions because we didn't have all the data yet

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I just don't care anymore but I'm fully aware that's probably a symptom of exhaustion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Starting to really wish I had waited a few weeks for Pfizer over AZ now, especially as they're not giving AZ to my age-group anymore. I wasn't concerned about clotting etc, but a 20% gap in effectiveness is not good.