Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

marktheando posted:

So I haven't touched an xbox since the 360 days but now I'm tempted since MS bought Obsidian and Bethesda. Since it's only for a couple games and I have a PS5, I reckon I would go for the basic model.

Did the poor person xbox live up to the hype and provide the same experience at lower resolution, or do I need to get the expensive model for raytracing and good performance? I don't care about being in 4k particularly, but if there is a version of the game with raytracing I want that version.

I know I could get the gamepass streaming thing and play on my mac, but I doubt my internet is good enough, and I don't like the idea of not owning my games.

I have my S and am enjoying it but I also missed most of last gen so everything looks wild to me. I'm only slightly regretting it based on the space alone. 500GB sounds like a lot until you realize most new AAA games are like 60+GB each. Then if you want an "official" expansion SSD it is $200, and thus putting me into Series X prices. Though you can plug a standard external to more quickly swap big games than having to re-download them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

elf help book posted:

I have both and in my experience you'll end up getting gamepass and just playing everything on the xbox over the PS5.

Yeah other than Miles Morales and Ratchet and Clank, which took about a week to complete combined, I don't really touch my PS5. Series X does everything better.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Zurtilik posted:

I have my S and am enjoying it but I also missed most of last gen so everything looks wild to me. I'm only slightly regretting it based on the space alone. 500GB sounds like a lot until you realize most new AAA games are like 60+GB each. Then if you want an "official" expansion SSD it is $200, and thus putting me into Series X prices. Though you can plug a standard external to more quickly swap big games than having to re-download them.

Or be insane like me, buy a Series X, the memory card for it and slap an big rear end hard drive on as external storage for everything else.

I own something like close to 300 games so all the Series X native or enhanced stuff is on the main drive/card and everything else is on the external (everything else being stuff I want to play but haven't)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/MSFSofficial/status/1404148843134943234

:whitewater:

performance mode plz

I never wanna play a 30fps game again

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Love to have to play a game at 4k30 when I have a 1080p TV. They could do a performance mode just fine on the Series X.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

https://twitter.com/MSFSofficial/status/1404148843134943234

:whitewater:

performance mode plz

I never wanna play a 30fps game again

Im not going back to 30fps they can't make me

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Not One Frame Back

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I assume it’s a CPU constraint that won’t be easily fixed by dropping resolution. The game can crush any PC you want to throw at it currently.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

<me having the blindfold placed over my eyes> my only regret is I have but one life to give for my framerate

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Series X could handle this at 1080p60 (with frame drops, but it's worth it for 60 most of the time over 30). I don't see how they're getting 4k30 without already compromising on the actual graphics in a major way to boost the resolution.

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 14, 2021

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
MSFS is one of those games for which I'd absolutely favor graphics over performance. The fact that it renders the whole world and looks so good doing it is, like, the drawing point.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Caught up with the xbox show.

Plague tale sequel is my hype game i loved the first a lot.

The overall games line up looks decent imo. Ill play most of it. They made me feel like they will have a decent run of hype games finally from 1st party starting in august with Psychonauts.

Still way too many cinematic trailers for my tastes im glad i skipped the live broadcast if all they got of starfield is a lady doing voice over while someone flips switches and sits in a chair

Im also not so sure i want arkane to be making their version of a left 4 dead clone. I hope Redfall has more to offer but im feeling dissapointed
like the chance for arkane to make another singleplayer immersive sim isnt going to happen again after their sales troubles with d2/prey.
The industry has so many 4 player pve shooters coming out in the near future, like this exclusive avalanche game the teased and at least 2-3 other games in the show.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

elf help book posted:

I have both and in my experience you'll end up getting gamepass and just playing everything on the xbox over the PS5.

Eh, I love the dualsense and I hear the Xbox pad is far less fancy, so I’d just be using an Xbox for exclusives I reckon.

But thanks for the advice everyone. I’ll probably join you all in Xbox land in 18 months if Starfield is good.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Everyone should note that they described Redfall as an open world shooter that you can play single player or coop so I doubt it’s like Left 4 Dead. I’d expect it’s more like Borderlands with specific characters classes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The dual sense is really cool i was playing ratchet last night and it kept doing things with haptics that impressed me moment after moment. The triggers are less cool. They take me out of the game instead of bringing me in like the haptics.

Daric posted:

Everyone should note that they described Redfall as an open world shooter that you can play single player or coop so I doubt it’s like Left 4 Dead. I’d expect it’s more like Borderlands with specific characters classes.

Weird trailer i guess

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
More Halo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7dRXjG_Yw0

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

Daric posted:

Yeah the game immediately sounded more appealing after I learned this. That was just not a good trailer for this kind of game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Daric posted:

Thank gently caress

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
There was also something about immersive sim elements in Redfall I think? And like Harvey Smith may be involved... I dunno just a couple of things I heard during discussion of that yesterday.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
You won't find any bigger proponent of 60fps than me but even I can acknowledge that there are certain sorts of games where 30 FPS is acceptable and a non-combat flight sim is definitely one of them.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Yeah, Harvey Smith is definitely involved in Redfall (I think as project lead since Raphael Colantonio is doing another game) and there are immersive sim aspects. The trailer felt like it emphasized the game's broadest elements to grab attention, so hopefully we'll see some deeper stuff later. I can already see a lot of potential in the one lady's purple elevator magic.

That first vampire also gave off some serious Outsider vibes, which I'm surprised no one mentioned in the coverage I follow.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

This looks good! I can't wait. Halo is life.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I could not take just the sheer amount of dumbfuck marketing scripted empty-speak segments in there holy poo poo that video just needs to shut the gently caress up.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

marktheando posted:

Eh, I love the dualsense and I hear the Xbox pad is far less fancy, so I’d just be using an Xbox for exclusives I reckon.

But thanks for the advice everyone. I’ll probably join you all in Xbox land in 18 months if Starfield is good.
Nobody loves a controller that much.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Toaster Beef posted:

MSFS is one of those games for which I'd absolutely favor graphics over performance. The fact that it renders the whole world and looks so good doing it is, like, the drawing point.

Yeah, there really isn't much benefit of having over 30fps in Flight Simulator. It's nice, but the benefit is neglible, although maybe the Top Gun expansion might be an exception. (For context, in other games I massively prefer either 60fps or 120fps.)

The DirectX 12 update to FS is supposed to be coming out around the same time as the Xbox version of the game. It should (hopefully) help in performance a ton as DirectX11 doesn't really have support for multi-core processors.

The dev mode in Flight Simulator is loving fantastic as it gives you a real time status of what is currently constraining performance. With a Ryzen 5900x and Radeon 6700xt on 4K with all settings at max, flying around a city I can manage a pretty consistent 30FPS, with bottleneck constantly swapping between GPU and CPU main thread.

Finally a F2P game is making battlepasses permanent and purchasable at later dates. It's ridiculous that that is a selling point now, but it is an improvement.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I can't get over how quiet the Series X is compared to the literal jet engine PS4 Pro and even the Switch under load.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I can't get over how quiet the Series X is compared to the literal jet engine PS4 Pro and even the Switch under load.

I don't think I've heard the Series X once no matter what it's doing.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Using the MCC model of battle passes removes really my last major complaint about that system. If that’s where everyone nets out on the business model for supporting games for a long time I’m happy enough.

I wonder if Gamepass subscribers will get the battlepass included or something. Maybe a discount. With it being F2P it I imagine they try to tie it in to a service in a major way somewhere.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1404474639187914758

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I refuse to believe the reflection on that headlight will be real time in game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The ray tracing is only in photo mode

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

That 7 minute video is good. Some great footage in there and the game labs thing sounds awesome. This is what's finally going to get me to spring for the Series X. Can't wait.

Although... the crappy particle/sprite water splash effects are still there (the part of the water splashing up by the wheels). Feels like 360 level stuff next to everything else.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I refuse to believe the reflection on that headlight will be real time in game.

They said "ray tracing in forzavista" so yeah you won't see the racing.

Very interested in the Game Labs thing. Also glad they're leaving the seasons thing behind. Didn't like that.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
More Forza Horizon 5 coming up in a few minutes
http://twitch.tv/Forza

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1404481004954288131

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

forza horizons are cool but i still have infinite content in 3 and 4 to get to. may as well wait for the "we're de-listing 5 because all the car licenses are up" firesale

unless it's on gamepass but even then may as well wait until the vip dlc is on super sale

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Super No Vacancy posted:

forza horizons are cool but i still have infinite content in 3 and 4 to get to. may as well wait for the "we're de-listing 5 because all the car licenses are up" firesale

unless it's on gamepass but even then may as well wait until the vip dlc is on super sale

I actually had that "still got some juice to squeeze from 3" thought, especially since I got the blizzard mountain dlc right before delisting.

drat 3 was good.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
One thing I liked in 3 that is sounds like is back is 'finding' new places for the festival to expand to, based on a bit of dialog in the demo yesterday. That gave the game just a bit more structure.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Forza gameplay session starting now.

https://twitter.com/forzahorizon/status/1404420867212333059?s=21

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Thom12255 posted:

I don't think I've heard the Series X once no matter what it's doing.

I put a disc in it once and it went like brr for a second and I was like what the hell, you can talk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
What's up with everyone constantly praising the graphics anyway? Sure it looks great but it doesn't seem to be all that much superior to FH4.