Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I really liked psyren when I read it, dunno how it holds up

it was very clearly cancelled but got enough time to rush to an adequate ending. aside from that, it made some not so great choices with female characters but had great super power battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Black Clover has tons of badass double-page spread or just badass spreads.

I like the series a lot.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like individual scenes and characters in black clover but i learned to not have any expectations for the overall story and plotting.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Fabricated posted:

Yami is the best character in Black Clover.

That's a funny way to spell Mereoleona :colbert:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Mikl posted:

That's a funny way to spell Mereoleona :colbert:

That's an even funnier way to spell Zora.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Okay, finished up Kuroko's Basketball. That makes 3 sports manga that I've finished now (Eyeshield 21 and Haikyu being the others).

It was pretty good, but also the lesser of those three I'd say. Maybe I've been spoiled by Eyeshield but I have a hard time remembering most of the team names and which players are which, but Haikyu had a similar problem and hey, not all artists can be Yusuke Murata.

I also think that its ending was a bit weak, it could have used another chapter for some denouement. Haikyu definitely beats both of the others in that department.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Alacron posted:

Okay, finished up Kuroko's Basketball. That makes 3 sports manga that I've finished now (Eyeshield 21 and Haikyu being the others).

It was pretty good, but also the lesser of those three I'd say. Maybe I've been spoiled by Eyeshield but I have a hard time remembering most of the team names and which players are which, but Haikyu had a similar problem and hey, not all artists can be Yusuke Murata.

I also think that its ending was a bit weak, it could have used another chapter for some denouement. Haikyu definitely beats both of the others in that department.

Read Prince of Tennis next.

I Love that stupid manga.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Read Ao Ashi.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For anyone not following the specific thread for it, Shonen Jump has announced that JJK is going on indefinite hiatus due Gege Akutami having health problems.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

For anyone not following the specific thread for it, Shonen Jump has announced that JJK is going on indefinite hiatus due Gege Akutami having health problems.

To be clear, while there wasn't a definite time given, I think they said they expected it to be a month or so. This isn't the Hunter x Hunter kind of indefinite hiatus.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 10, 2021

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Even if it is, Togashi has it right, health >> drawing a manga.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Shueisha needs to bite the bullet and start giving everyone regular time off.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Alacron posted:

Shueisha needs to bite the bullet and start giving everyone regular time off.

Yup

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Dexo posted:

Even if it is, Togashi has it right, health >> drawing a manga.

Manga already destroyed his health so he already lost that battle.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
https://twitter.com/wsj_manga/status/1402899831165796352?s=21

I have no idea how to imbed Twitter messages. Just pretend it says that a reprint of Witch Watch volume 1 is headed to stores in Japan basically tripling the volumes in the wild.

That’s not what it says though. It’s only double.

Edit: well I’ll be. It worked! No need to pretend then.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Alacron posted:

Read Slam Dunk.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was going to say, if you're going through classic sports manga and were looking for basketball Slam Dunk is definitely first pick.

It's so influential that it's one of those things where you read it and go "oh, this is what everyone is referencing/parodying."

Sindai fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 10, 2021

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

After its extensive hiatus Soloist in a Cage ended really well, nice short compact story with really great art. 20 chapters well done and I'm looking forward to the artists next work.

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1009555

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 13, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Witch Watch is so good as is Gachi Gorilla in Roboco.

Also Magu-chan is becoming a gamer :ohdear:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Witch Watch was pretty wild this week, I didn't think from the first chapters that it would wind up being this good.

Also when Roboco tells a better baseball story than the baseball manga :goleft:

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Alacron posted:

If you don't mind unfinished manga then I second the recommandation for Ao Ashi. Giant Killing is an amazing football/soccer manga as well. Days and Whistle are also really fun mangas, with Whistle being finished.

Slam Dunk is a classic and Prince of Tennis is full on shounen sport nonsense (The sequel being even more ridiculous).

Major is another classic though I'm not the biggest fan as I find the main character to be a prick. One Outs is fun as well.

There is no shortage of fun sport mangas so you have a nice road ahead.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Candy Flurry is really fun, I love how loving stupid everyone is and the candy power conceit is pretty fun.

roboco this week... very powerful gorilla gachi batflip panel

high school family was great this week too, heaps of Gabe!

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 14, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Chuunin Exam comparisons are becoming more apt in Mashle.

Can't wait for Mash to punch a God next week.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Still liking Blue Box a lot, even if latest chapter leaned on the how could she just change in front of me doesn't she realize I'm a boy trope a bit

I read through 3/4ths of The Promised Neverland last week and really adore the softer, empathic shounen stories (I loved Kimetsu no Yaiba in particular). Anything else on Mangaplus/SJ that's in the running like that?

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 14, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jerkface posted:

high school family was great this week too, heaps of Gabe!

Definitely laughed at the grandparents giving the mom 20 year out of date high school fashion.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

Still liking Blue Box a lot, even if latest chapter leaned on the how could she just change in front of me doesn't she realize I'm a boy trope a bit

I read through 3/4ths of The Promised Neverland last week and really adore the softer, empathic shounen stories (I loved Kimetsu no Yaiba in particular). Anything else on Mangaplus/SJ that's in the running like that?

Have you read Chainsaw Man?

It's an odd recommendation, I know, and it has a lot that's as far from soft as you get, but it also has some really good moments of empathy with the characters... even as it goes through them like a chainsaw.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Love to see Sakamoto Days on the cover again so soon. That's generally a good sign right?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I should have gotten in on Witch Watch before I got locked out of the mid chapters. Mangaplus won't take my money where I live.

Edit: Sakamoto Days: Hell yeah Heisuke is back!

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 14, 2021

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

chiasaur11 posted:

Have you read Chainsaw Man?

It's an odd recommendation, I know, and it has a lot that's as far from soft as you get, but it also has some really good moments of empathy with the characters... even as it goes through them like a chainsaw.

I have, I love it!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Sharkopath posted:

After its extensive hiatus Soloist in a Cage ended really well, nice short compact story with really great art. 20 chapters well done and I'm looking forward to the artists next work.

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1009555

Thanks for posting this! Hadn't heard of it, and it was a delightful little story.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

wrt shounen sports series, Touch is a mandatory classic that everyone should check out. The anime is impeccable but heck the manga is great too, it's a good time no matter which option you pick.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lily Catts posted:

If you haven't read it yet you might like We Never Learn which is a completed series on the SJ app about a high school senior who is forced to tutor two classmates in order to get a scholarship. Its very low key without a lot of serious drama and is mainly characters helping each other out.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lily Catts posted:

I think one of my absolute least favorite manga tropes (which doesn't sound like what happened in Blue Box, but just reminded me of it) is when a guy is alone with a girl and says (out loud) to her something like "aren't you worried about me raping you?"

It's just such a "wtf why would anyone does this" thing, and then the girl almost always reacts like "I trust you" instead of "what the gently caress is wrong with you."

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I... don't think that's what that scene was trying to convey. I don't think that's ever what that type of scene is trying to convey

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
It's nothing like *that*, it just reminds me that it's still a Jump manga, albeit a very well-behaved one (so far)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Finally got around to reading everything.
The whole week was good.

Sakamoto has at this point completely sold itself to me. It's amazing because I remember thinking I was going to drop it at some point. I love Piisuke. I loved Sakamoto getting serious and the cordial and friendly greetings everyone exchanges while the commit bloody murder is great.

Witch Watch had a good idea and was good fun.

Roboco was insanely stupid and I loved it.

9 Dragonballs is getting hit hard now by it being rushed. It's clear the axe is coming so it's rushing through it's plot points. Like the glasses guy and his brother. We're supposed to be shocked they lost, but their team (sans them) already lost to our team and we never saw the twins play. So it's just a big :shrug: at this point. The new guy seems fun though.

Elusive Samurai: Really cool again.

Magu chan: Was cute and funny. Izuma being in the wrong manga is never not funny.

Mashle hits new highs in being a dick in his Chuunin exam. Seriously the way he went from, "I'm going to sleep, poo poo it wasn't a dream" to just punching the guy who was monologuing in the face was good. It feels strangely out of place for Mash to boast that he's unstoppable. He generally doesn't say it like that.

Candy Flurry was cool.

Undead Unluck nice team work. Bit of a weird ending thing though by saying it's the truth of untruth. Nice touch with hiding the tear behind the talisman.

Happy to see people mentioning Soloist in a cage, I'd been planning on reading that. Going to get riht on that.

Do people still read Ghost Reaper Girl? I've liked it so far, but I keep making the mistake of reading from right to left. It's so disorienting.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Ghost Reaper Girl is amazing. I'm so glad they dropped the lolicon poo poo after chapter 2.
Now it's just fun adventures in a Lovecraft setting. And I'm all for that. Chloe is also one of my favorite female protagonists.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I love those little peeks of Mash when he gets serious and lets his ego out...

And then drops it again two panels later. :allears:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

In case anyone's interested, Ayakashi Triangle is still a thinly veiled excuse for Yabuki to draw some T&A. I'm still reading it weekly because :effort: and it had some interesting ideas at first, but I seriously wonder how long it will last (I've checked the WSJ rankings and it's regularly hovering around 10-11-12 or thereabouts, not at the bottom but always below the middle).

e. And also for the record it has some really bizarre ideas about gender and sexuality. In case anyone's interested I might do a brief effortpost explaining why it's bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I've never heard of this manga (and also I'm not sure why I'm following this thread) but I do love explanations for why things are bizarre.