Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Yeah, this is the stuff.

I gotta say, even with the relatively underwhelming in terms of raw power electric engine in the Hyundai Ioniq, the just INSTANT TORQUE you get in city driving is very satisfying . I've not driven a Tesla, but I can imagine it's far more powerful electric motor must really feel nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah, this is the stuff.

I gotta say, even with the relatively underwhelming in terms of raw power electric engine in the Hyundai Ioniq, the just INSTANT TORQUE you get in city driving is very satisfying . I've not driven a Tesla, but I can imagine it's far more powerful electric motor must really feel nice.

:hmmyes:

I have a Tesla and a Leaf and I have to tell you, it's not much of a difference if you are a careful driver. They are both immensely satisfying.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Westy543 posted:

Also um. Tesla controller? The yoke part looks like something I could defend myself with. And also hastily cut / glued on.

https://twitter.com/bryanmariof/status/1403216433107116032

Of course Tesla puts the stick in the wrong place...

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Charles posted:

Do you use the app? My Soul's app is ... terrible. It takes minutes to respond sometimes and often gives errors. I would not trust it! Plus it only goes 10 minutes or whatever. But yes, put it on the screen! So easy.

So just like OnStar then.

If you've ever had the "pleasure" of using the OnStar app, it's much like this. Commands sent to the vehicle can take minutes to be received, assuming they go through in the first place. Chevy also just redone the app, and of course made it worse than it was before; you now have to wait for it to do a vehicle status poll when opening the app. So the app sits there looking like it locked up for a minute or so when you open it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

stevewm posted:

So just like OnStar then.

If you've ever had the "pleasure" of using the OnStar app, it's much like this. Commands sent to the vehicle can take minutes to be received, assuming they go through in the first place. Chevy also just redone the app, and of course made it worse than it was before; you now have to wait for it to do a vehicle status poll when opening the app. So the app sits there looking like it locked up for a minute or so when you open it.

Ya, Onstar is fine as an emergency tool (oh gently caress I locked my keys in the trunk,) but using it as a convenience app just doesn’t shake out. Even the Tesla app -which is light years better than OnStar- can take a shockingly long time to respond if the car is in deep sleep.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah, this is the stuff.

It was so weird to scroll the thread and see my car's guage cluster!

Ioniq hybrid is a great car - it even out-priuses the Prius, in my opinion.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah, this is the stuff.

There's a house near me with THREE Hyundai Ioniq EV's. Guy got a deal and bought them for his children.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
buying the tesla dlc to make my horn play "la cucaracha"

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah, this is the stuff.

That's awesome. I'm kinda loving PHEV life with my Prius Prime after owning a ton of EVs. Already put 12k miles on it in three months with two roadtrips to Montana from Washington state and mostly battery driving when running errands at home.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
So Texas got bombed with a heat wave this week, where temperatures are in the upper 90s and feels like upper 100s. Which got me to wondering - do PHEVs stay in electric mode or do they kick in the ICE engine if it has to blast the AC?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Typically the AC compressor is electric and just runs off the high voltage DC.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I can only speak definitively for the Volt; it uses a variable speed electrically driven compressor run off the high voltage battery. It will never run the gas engine for AC, unless of course the battery is depleted. Most hybrids/PHEVs I've seen are the same.

For heat it is a different issue, it will use electric heat until the temperature drops below a certain (though configurable) point, then it will start up and run the gas engine to provide heat, regardless of battery state of charge. It has a system that allows it to use both sources of heat depending on which one is available. If the gas engine is already running because your main battery is depleted, it will use that primarily.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

stevewm posted:

I can only speak definitively for the Volt; it uses a variable speed electrically driven compressor run off the high voltage battery. It will never run the gas engine for AC, unless of course the battery is depleted. Most hybrids/PHEVs I've seen are the same.

The volt never runs directly off of gas! The gas engine is a generator that can provide the batteries with enough juice to keep going indefinitely! :eng101:

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Thanks!

I was off of looking around for EVs for a while because the price/configurations weren't quite up to snuff. (For example, most of the 'crossover' EVs have a smaller cargo space than my Ford Focus hatchback lmao)

Then the F150 Lightning was announced and I started looking around to see what new products came out in the meantime and I saw the Rav4 Prime PHEV. Looks pretty sweet but from reading further, it looks like the Prime actually pollutes far more than advertised since the engine kicks on during hard acceleration, etc?

Anyway, I'm glad I got on the reservation list for the F150 early because it looks like, save for the Teslas and the Mach-E, there isn't really something in the EV space that provides expanded utility over my $10K shitbox I've been driving around for a few years as a 'temporary measure'.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

DoomTrainPhD posted:

The volt never runs directly off of gas! The gas engine is a generator that can provide the batteries with enough juice to keep going indefinitely! :eng101:

This was the case with the Gen1, but not the Gen2, its transmission is quite a bit different than the Gen1. With the Gen2, when operating in hybrid/extended range mode every drive mode sends some power from the ICE to the wheels. One mode even sends all ICE power directly to the wheels. This website gives a good overview: https://www.gm-volt.com/threads/gen-2-volt-transmission-operating-modes-explained.337644/

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Both Gen I and Gen II volts can drive the wheels with the gas engine directly under certain circumstances. In the Gen I it was over 70mph and battery depleted IIRC, but I don’t recall what the Gen IIs did specifically.

The big thing with the Volt that sets it apart is that it acts as an electric vehicle until the battery depletes. The gas engine doesn’t kick on when you punch it like in Toyota’s and Hondas.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

It's probably way more efficient to directly drive the wheels with the ICE engine rather than converting it to electricity at something like 40% efficiency at best, then using an electric motor to drive the wheels at 80% efficiency.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah, this is the stuff.

Same. I haven't driven a full EV yet, but after 6000 miles with the Escape Hybrid, I'm not touching another car that isn't at least a hybrid, and ideally full EV.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

priznat posted:

Make it so it honks when you yell HONK or the word of your choice.

And have DLC horns

Inside the car: OH SHIIIIIIIIIIT!
Outside the car: OH SHIIIIIIIIIT!

That said, I don't hate this concept.
A horn that yells "MOOOOOOOOOVE!" would make me giggle every time.

bird with big dick posted:

Which of these would look best on a Mach-e GT

Well, A and D look like OEM '60s Mustang scoops, and B and C are Ford Thunderboltstyle teardrops, so any of those.
Gotta keep the stuff in the frunk cool.

Or the comedy option.:

MrYenko posted:

It’s a Mustang. It needs a six inch cowl hood.

:banjo:

yes, I know they're ALL comedy options.

Ola posted:

Hood scoop with CCS socket. "It's for the supercharger!"

:thumbsup:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's probably way more efficient to directly drive the wheels with the ICE engine rather than converting it to electricity at something like 40% efficiency at best, then using an electric motor to drive the wheels at 80% efficiency.

It's a matter of application. Diesel electric locomotives use a two stroke diesel to generate electricity for the traction motors and are incredibly efficient. But you don't use a train like you use a car, sooooo.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kunabomber posted:

Thanks!

I was off of looking around for EVs for a while because the price/configurations weren't quite up to snuff. (For example, most of the 'crossover' EVs have a smaller cargo space than my Ford Focus hatchback lmao)

Then the F150 Lightning was announced and I started looking around to see what new products came out in the meantime and I saw the Rav4 Prime PHEV. Looks pretty sweet but from reading further, it looks like the Prime actually pollutes far more than advertised since the engine kicks on during hard acceleration, etc?

Anyway, I'm glad I got on the reservation list for the F150 early because it looks like, save for the Teslas and the Mach-E, there isn't really something in the EV space that provides expanded utility over my $10K shitbox I've been driving around for a few years as a 'temporary measure'.

I think the RAV4 Prime has an EV only mode

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

marshmonkey posted:

I think the RAV4 Prime has an EV only mode

It does have an EV only mode.

But really any vehicle, even a full EV, is going to pollute more if you’re doing hard acceleration because you will get less range out of your charge and consequently use more power from the grid which is most assuredly not 100% renewable.

If you’re that concerned about your carbon footprint that you’re worried about the pollution generated by your RAV4 prime while bombing an on ramp simply don’t do that?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Nissan does a completely series hybrid seeing for the Japanese market - it's the electric motor from a Leaf with a little three cylinder engine and a tiny battery. They're very much a city car though so higher speeds work not have been a design consideration.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It does have an EV only mode.

But really any vehicle, even a full EV, is going to pollute more if you’re doing hard acceleration because you will get less range out of your charge and consequently use more power from the grid which is most assuredly not 100% renewable.

If you’re that concerned about your carbon footprint that you’re worried about the pollution generated by your RAV4 prime while bombing an on ramp simply don’t do that?

you've never tried merging on an american highway

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Kunabomber posted:

you've never tried merging on an american highway

I live in America.

In EV only mode the RAV4 prime hits 60 in a little over 9 seconds which is plenty to get up to Highway merge speeds. Also the pittance of gas you might spend occasionally having to floor it to get in front of some rear end in a top hat who won’t vacate the right lane doesn’t mean the car is actually bad for the environment.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

All cars are bad for the environment though

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

All cars are bad for the environment though

Relative to the majority of the cars on the road or available now the RAV4 Prime is good (except that it’s only theoretically available because they are impossible to get.).

Sadly yelling at everyone to simply stop driving anywhere doesn’t seem to work.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

The Slack Lagoon posted:

All cars humans are bad for the environment though

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Yeeeeah, living in Texas it's not gonna be possible to get off cars.

0-60 in 9 seconds is hilarious considering economy cars do 7 seconds or so. I am a hypocritical selfish animal and would like something better than that.

YOLO, you're right in that it is nigh impossible to get a Rav4 Prime so the discussion is all academic anyway.

Anyway:

https://twitter.com/mattlargey/status/1404498195795828746?s=20

With this poo poo happening, I can literally see the increased price of an F150 Lightning as added cost for owning a home in Texas - I'd basically be getting an emissions-free generator for use in emergencies along with a truck.

Kunabomber fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 14, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is that some Enron poo poo or what?

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Heat wave came a month earlier than expected, and there's 11 GW worth of capacity offline because of maintenance, including a 2.5 GW nuke plant that had to go half capacity because there was an equipment failure lol

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

These are the same dipshits that allowed the winter storm catastrophe four months ago. I've lived in Dallas my whole life, and 95 in mid-June isn't all that unusual.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Weird, I've only lived here 8 years - feels like this heat wave is starting earlier than usual. It might be because we had 3 straight weeks of rain that kept the temperature down.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
You can hold back summer only so long before it just explodes out all over.

Hell, it's technically still spring.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I didn't mean to take the thread off-topic, but taking power plants offline is literally what Enron did. I found a D&D thread that's appropriate.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Texas insisting in having their own grid so that they don’t have to comply with federal regulations and the feds allowing it for so long is surely not going to cause long term issues as the grid gets tested more and more due to weather and additional push for electric cars and poo poo.

(Though I imagine EV infrastructure isn’t as hard hitting on a grid as everything else)

Charles posted:

Yeah, I didn't mean to take the thread off-topic, but taking power plants offline is literally what Enron did. I found a D&D thread that's appropriate.

Don’t they also wildly spike consumption rates

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kunabomber posted:

0-60 in 9 seconds is hilarious considering economy cars do 7 seconds or so. I am a hypocritical selfish animal and would like something better than that.

Those economy cars will only do 7 seconds 0-60 if you sidestep the clutch to launch and then slam the poo poo out of the gears (or load the automatic and launch it as hard as possible).

Driving like that in traffic is normally frowned upon and will murder most transmissions

In an electric car, you pretty much just floor the gas. That's it.

The numbers are not directly comparable. An electric car is always in the power band.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
More back on topic though, all this poo poo has people scrambling for solar installations apparently, and hopefully more manufacturers will do the F150 thing too!

KozmoNaut posted:

Those economy cars will only do 7 seconds 0-60 if you sidestep the clutch to launch and then slam the poo poo out of the gears (or load the automatic and launch it as hard as possible).

Driving like that in traffic is normally frowned upon and will murder most transmissions

In an electric car, you pretty much just floor the gas. That's it.

The numbers are not directly comparable. An electric car is always in the power band.

The no shifting thing is a pretty awesome feeling.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Ah, I guess you guys are right. I really dig the utility of the RAV4 and all too. In a non hellworld situation it would be top 3 on my list. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I unironically got my Ioniq, in part, because I could run the AC in it for a good day or so before it even has to touch the gas engine for blackout comfort.

Perhaps I should have gotten the Prius since it could also do that for heat in the winter, but it's easier to bundle up than cool down, also the Prius inexplicably doesn't have any android auto support in that nice 10in screen.