Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
nah enough of that cringy weeb poo poo, gimme dat turtle behind shield chad action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I'm honestly hoping From is going back to the more slower paced combat from Demon's Souls & Dark Souls 1.
DaS3's pace never felt quite comfortable to play for me. And Sekiro looks cool in slowed down videos, but playing it was a miserable experience to me.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

nah enough of that cringy weeb poo poo, gimme dat turtle behind shield chad action

In this house we are against engendering passivity.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Figuring out the game and then doing New Game+ is such a blast, going up against Genichiro and just completely outclassing him just recontextualizes his entire character in the game from deadly but desperate noble seeking to hold on to his grandfather's legacy into a hilarious failson who just gets his rear end beat mercilessly while his granddad cackles at him the whole time :allears:

Plus, you know... gently caress me it's beautiful:

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1166486029966172166

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
hesitation is defeat

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Can we crash bitcoin before January? I'd been planning on building a new PC for whenever Elden Ring finally came out and I'd like to buy a video card for a realistic price.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The Elden Ring is actually the final bitcoin ever minted before the world went to poo poo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If they take anything from Sekiro I hope it's the parrying. Trying to parry in Dark Souls was always a miserable experience for me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Parrying by firing a blunderbuss at point blank range into someone's face will always be the superior form of parry.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JBP posted:

Parrying by firing a blunderbuss at point blank range into someone's face will always be the superior form of parry.

Yeah Bloodborne has the best combat ever. I actually avoided parrying at first because I never did it in Dark Souls haha

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I can parry DS1 Black and Silver Knights, but I can't seem to parry DS3 Lothric Knights for poo poo.

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!
I stopped parrying in Dark Souls after getting to Iron Keep in DS2. Nothing like wasting an hour trying to do it against Alonne Knights before realizing it's way easier to just backstab them.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

JBP posted:

I never got it right in bloodborne, try to parry an attack, miss, not sure if you had the timing wrong or if the attack couldn't be parried.

Sekiro did it so much better.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I feel like parrying deemphasizes spacing a lot. I would like them to make it harder or modify it in some way from Souls games. BB's parrying was interesting.

Edit: Sekiro's was way too easy, the whole game was parry parry parry

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sekiro also made a single parry far less impactful than DS/BB parrying though, if anything I thought Sekiro had it best because it removed the excessive risk of Dark Souls' shield parries and the excessive reward of Bloodborne's gun parries, it's a standardised mechanic that's relatively simple to land but only pays off from mixing them up with your regular offence or parrying whole combo strings

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
yeah, that's fair. i just wish parrying cost something so it didn't feel so much like a rhythm game

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Sekiro's parrying quickly becomes trivial when you realize you can just spam L1 to parry everything with no timing needed

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

sounds like somebody needs to try charmless

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is there any chance we could get more of a deep dive at the MS conference or have they ruled that out? As great as the trailer was a few minutes of actual gameplay would be nice since the game is seven months away.

Orv
May 4, 2011

stev posted:

Is there any chance we could get more of a deep dive at the MS conference or have they ruled that out? As great as the trailer was a few minutes of actual gameplay would be nice since the game is seven months away.

From's pretty standard play book is a few trailers in the months before launch and gameplay shortly before, unless I'm misremembering so we're unlikely to see hard gameplay until later this year or at the earliest probably the final games conferences which would be Gamescom if it exists this year.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Did a little poking around and it looks like Sekiro's first gameplay trailer dropped at the E3 before release but that was a larger gap between now and Elden Ring's release date.

If the upload dates are right for the more in-depth gameplay videos for Sekiro they were released in the week or days leading up to release.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 13, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Did a little poking around and it looks like Sekiro's first gameplay trailer dropped at the E3 before release but that was a larger gap between now and Elden Ring's release date.

One day I'll learn not to trust my memory. Who knows then, I don't think they've said anything particular about the Xbox conference but also lol From communication.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
first hands on impressions of sekiro/in game footage/etc. were at gamescom, two months after the e3 gameplay reveal trailer

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Honestly the best thing about this thread is reading everyones insane fromsoft opinions

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Fromsoft can do literally anything because they already made the perfect video game, Armored Core For Answer

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Otogi :colbert:

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

I need the Britney crossover for elden ring

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Miyazaki gave IGN some info about the trailer. Seems like there is 6 kingdoms with 6 demigods who have pieces of the Elden Ring. There is fast travel too if you get tired of riding around.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
New info and interview dropped:

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1404441543692455936

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1404439223025930245

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1404439461023322115

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht8XUshQow8

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
me looking at the defeated bones of Bloodborne, dark souls 1,2,3, demons souls and sekiro: :hai:
Elden ring creeping up on me: :twisted:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ulio posted:

Miyazaki gave IGN some info about the trailer. Seems like there is 6 kingdoms with 6 demigods who have pieces of the Elden Ring. There is fast travel too if you get tired of riding around.

wow, fast travel and options of selecting between 6 areas to visit off the bat, that's great. I'm glad the games adapt legitimately good modern poo poo with each iteration. If it takes a lot from Sekiro and Nioh (with the weapon skill stuff) it'll be their best one yet

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kliras posted:

New info and interview dropped:

Praise the mf sun

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
'- There are also rather useless spirits with other traits'

Patches as your spirit animal confirmed

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
For some reason IGN broke up their translation of that interview into multiple articles, but a neat thing that also came out: those blue phantoms in the trailer are AI. There will still be traditional summon signal type co-op, but instead of a few npcs for certain bosses you can collect an item for specific npc spirits to summon at will.
So if you particularly like the playstyle or look of a specific one you can keep using them wherever.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Quote this post when one cliff overlooks a building that looks a tiny bit like the clocktower from Bloodborne and everyone freaks out, and then Bloodborne 2 doesn't get announced

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Full interview with Miyazaki:

https://www.ign.com/articles/elden-ring-miyazaki-hidetaka-full-interview-summer-of-gaming

I'll probably never again be as hyped for a game as I was for MGSV but Im getting close.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Read the interview and frankly I'm here for it.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'm not trying to ruin anyone's parade. But man I feel like this seems like a lazy "port" almost? Like, I'm noticing some animations and character models that are beyond a straight rip from Dark Souls.

I'm in a weird situation where I'm a dark souls fanatic, we're getting a everything-in-name-only new dark souls game that is way more kinetic and I'm down, I'm ready. I'm a fan. But I'm annoyed that they're kinda doing the Call of Duty thing where they just reuse assets and sounds in a bad way and clearly just slapping GRRM's name on it to boost sales.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

net cafe scandal posted:

Full interview with Miyazaki:

https://www.ign.com/articles/elden-ring-miyazaki-hidetaka-full-interview-summer-of-gaming

I'll probably never again be as hyped for a game as I was for MGSV but Im getting close.

Lol I'm right there with you. My hype levels are reaching MGSV status and I'm worried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
One main theme of the main bosses of the game, in particular, are that they are essentially demigods – and characters who are written, again, by George R.R. Martin – and they inherited the mad tainted power of the Elden Ring shards once it was shattered. We wanted to depict these beings as not just creatures and horrible monsters, but have an element of heroism and an element of mythology to them.

So the bosses are written by GRRM