Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Red Oktober posted:

Starting to really wish I had waited a few weeks for Pfizer over AZ now, especially as they're not giving AZ to my age-group anymore. I wasn't concerned about clotting etc, but a 20% gap in effectiveness is not good.

is the uk pursuing any heterologous vaccination strategies? the preliminary data on 1st dose AZ followed by 2nd dose pfizer/moderna are very good

snipe: 42! pretty self-explanatory, really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I wonder what the effectiveness is if you get the first shot AZ then Pfizer

e: lol, efb, but thanks for that

I can pay the cat tax

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Just looked it up, because I had Moderna, and it seems that effectiveness for both Pfizer and Moderna are similar at around 81% 2+ weeks after first dose and 91% 2+ weeks after 2nd dose (as confirmed by real world data rather than a pre-approval study or whatever):

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210606/New-data-from-CDC-on-effectiveness-of-Pfizer-and-Moderna-COVID-19-vaccines.aspx

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

WhatEvil posted:

Just looked it up, because I had Moderna, and it seems that effectiveness for both Pfizer and Moderna are similar at around 81% 2+ weeks after first dose and 91% 2+ weeks after 2nd dose (as confirmed by real world data rather than a pre-approval study or whatever):

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210606/New-data-from-CDC-on-effectiveness-of-Pfizer-and-Moderna-COVID-19-vaccines.aspx

Unfortunately I don't think that applies to delta variant. The article doesn't specify that it included new variants.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

WhatEvil posted:

Their data appears to come from the USA between December and April, so this won't be the case for the Delta variant.

e; f,b

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I am fully expecting everyone who had Astrazeneca to be told in 6 months time they have to get pfizer as well because it does nothing against the new iceland / omega variant.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

Unfortunately I don't think that applies to delta variant. The article doesn't specify that it included new variants.

the second dose is still quite protective for delta

both the mrna vaccines have had pretty similar results in all other cases so while this is discussing pfizer i expect moderna to be similar

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I'm in for round 2 tomorrow so shall I maybe request a little taster selection of all three or just see what the maître d recommends?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It was conducted in the US between december and april so you could probably draw some inference about which variants they would be exposed to from that.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

the second dose is still quite protective for delta

both the mrna vaccines have had pretty similar results in all other cases so while this is discussing pfizer i expect moderna to be similar

Yep, am happily aware of that (we got Pfizer, quite by chance - would have accepted anything).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I got my first dose of AZ a few weeks before they decided to stop giving it to the youngs. Wish I hadn't had it so early now. :v:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Excited for the formation of a new class system based around which vaccination people got.

Signing up as a downtrodden AZ.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
If full vaccination dramatically reduces the chances of dying or getting very sick then surely it doesn't really matter if transmission stays high because you've reduced covid to essentially a very contagious flu - better if you don't catch it, but nothing that's going to cause a national crisis.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ThomasPaine posted:

If full vaccination dramatically reduces the chances of dying or getting very sick then surely it doesn't really matter if transmission stays high because you've reduced covid to essentially a very contagious flu - better if you don't catch it, but nothing that's going to cause a national crisis.

We don't know what long Covid does. You could end up with hundreds of thousands if not millions of people who have severe health problems for the rest of their lives, leaving aside the large numbers who would still require hospitalisation even if they don't die.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

It was conducted in the US between december and april so you could probably draw some inference about which variants they would be exposed to from that.

That doesn't make sense - the US hasn't given anybody AstraZenica.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

therattle posted:

We don't know what long Covid does. You could end up with hundreds of thousands if not millions of people who have severe health problems for the rest of their lives, leaving aside the large numbers who would still require hospitalisation even if they don't die.

My understanding was the vaccination reduced the intensity of infection sufficiently to mitigate the threat of long covid symptoms in most cases too

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I agree with Miftan that Starmer is trying to appeal to the centre-groundists with his 'the truth is in the middle' tedium.
And I also agree with everyone else pointing out that Starmer isn't appealing to anyone with his Schrödinger's Policy approach to leading a political party, the utter buffoon.

Also, lol that Boris hosed up yet a-loving-gain by not closing the borders (gotta make nice with Modi, innit?) and his rimming partners in the press won't even touch the issue.

[edit]
And my employer is reporting rising numbers again, including of those requiring enhanced care. Wonderful

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
There was talk of the vaccine clearing up existing long covid symptoms, in addition to other infections and a user here's dad's verrucas to the point that their GP wants him as a case study.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The good news is that cases are back to up around late September but deaths are nowhere near that, still at baseline.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ThomasPaine posted:

My understanding was the vaccination reduced the intensity of infection sufficiently to mitigate the threat of long covid symptoms in most cases too

Szmitten posted:

There was talk of the vaccine clearing up existing long covid symptoms, in addition to other infections and a user here's dad's verrucas to the point that their GP wants him as a case study.

I had forgotten about that. I would still err on the side of caution as there simply hasn't been enough time for the longer-term consequences to become known.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I'm getting my first (probable) Pfizer tomorrow and won't be getting the second until 31st August so aaaaaaa.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I've grown a bit cautious about the whole 'long Covid' thing because there's no diagnosis, no agreed set of symptoms and it's what people always fall back on when it's pointed out that deaths and hospitalisations remain really low: "Ah yes, but what about the potential effects of Long Covid etc etc etc". It's really hard to quantify compared to other consequences (you're either dead or you're not; you're either in hospital or you're not) so I'm still uncertain whether it's a substantial issue or some vague boogeyman.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

We probably need to just ready ourselves for the inevitable memory holing when everything appears mostly normal again, and the media starts putting out thunkpieces about how since it's all turned out ok,* was Boris' approach really so bad?

* For them, that is.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Got me first vax today, worst bit was the queues, also the worst possible luck to have it at the same time as the Scotland game but hey.....

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Got me first vax today, worst bit was the queues, also the worst possible luck to have it at the same time as the Scotland game but hey.....

I hope whoever jabbed you was a lot more accurate than Scotland's strikers were

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Szmitten posted:

I'm getting my first (probable) Pfizer tomorrow and won't be getting the second until 31st August so aaaaaaa.

Yeah I would really appreciate if they started second-dosing people earlier. If they don't have enough vaccines then sure, but there really isn't a reason otherwise for a 12-week interval when other countries use 6 weeks.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Vaccine effectiveness is a tricky subject, and there's no easily graphable way really to judge, especially as you could get Covid a week after the first jab and get reduced symptoms but still count as a vaccine 'fail' for the simple charts. Inactivated virus vaccines (AZ) rely on your body choosing which parts to respond to, and can learn several different gene sequences/proteins that kick off the immune response. It's a lottery whether these are good sequences (i.e. don't vary much and are actually important functional proteins) but you should respond to multiple viral proteins. If you have double the number of infections you will get roughly double the probability of a new 'strain'. Note that most variations tend to decrease virulence, but these will not even be noticable in the data. Its only the ones with similar or better infectivity that can go on to form a new visible strain.

mRNA vaccines are new, but only encode a single protein (and rely on your body turning the rna->protein so it can see it). It is the most important one (the spike protein) so if a vaccine gets a variation in that, then yes it could dodge the vaccine but also it would no longer be viable to infect the human cells so it's still a win. It's a laser-focused vaccine, rather than broad and random. But as with all things biological, this is a guideline not a rule. There could be a change that changes the spike to dodge the vaccine response and increases virulence but the chances are very small. But again, see the point about more infections = more rolls of the dice. May only be a trillion to one, but if you're allowing it to infect millions then it will be getting billions of chances each day.

It's not all doom and gloom tho. Immune response occurring within some hours of exposure as opposed to several days is what really saves you, and that's what all the vaccines will do. That exposure as well will fill in a bunch of missing protein profiles for your immune system too (as long as you weren't really unlucky and your immune system never got a good protein to lock onto in the first place, which is virtually impossible from mRNA). But even then, it still relies on your body having a functional immune system, which not everyone has.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

I've grown a bit cautious about the whole 'long Covid' thing because there's no diagnosis, no agreed set of symptoms and it's what people always fall back on when it's pointed out that deaths and hospitalisations remain really low: "Ah yes, but what about the potential effects of Long Covid etc etc etc". It's really hard to quantify compared to other consequences (you're either dead or you're not; you're either in hospital or you're not) so I'm still uncertain whether it's a substantial issue or some vague boogeyman.

Yeah I’m also on this vibe, I’d like to see some data considering how many suicides there’ll be if we do re-lockdown over/after summer at this point.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah same, I’ve no doubt that serious symptomatic cases can cause scarring of lung and heart but the symptoms of long COVID in less serious and asymptomatic cases tend to run a very wide spread that could be any number of other conditions. There’s a fair amount of overlap of the symptoms with those of stress/anxiety/depression which are absolutely to be expected given what we’ve all lived through for the past 18 months.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1404483776881831938?s=19

Pfizer boys wooooo

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I mean yes, but 10% of the population getting infected when we reopen everything is not great.

I guess my doomposting comes not from the efficacy of the vaccines but in the competence of the Tories supporting it's rollout, which they absolutely will not.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I'm getting my 2nd jab tomorrow (having to travel 1:30 to get it as I dont have a car and it was what was available) and it'll 99% be a 2nd shot of AZ so this is good to hear. Honestly kinda terrified still.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I think it just often comes off a bit like people are wanting poo poo to be hosed again just so they can point at the U.K./Tories/British Establishment and say ‘see! Look!!! They/we ARE as poo poo!!’

Not you specifically you btw Bobby and I don’t think you’re even bad for it really. It’s not even specifically this thread but also so many people I know irl. I just had to ask my partner to not sound so happily confident that we’ll have to extend past 19th July.

I suppose it’s just exhausting every time there’s some mildly good news from the gov, there’s this army of very smart people chomping at the bit to point out that it’s probably stupid optimism and we’re actually hosed etc etc

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is difficult not to think like that when the majority of the government, the press, and seemingly the population have spent the last entirety of my life but especially the last year and a half or previous to that with the brexit poo poo saying that everything is actually great and is only getting better even as 150k people loving die.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Yeah the doomerism is pretty exhausting and doesn't really have much basis in reality afaict. Vaccines are not perfect but good enough for what we need them for. Yes, we're getting a bump now but that's because we're reopening and young unvaccinated people are driving infections. They're starting to be processed now too though. There's light at the end of the tunnel here and I think you have to be a pretty depressing pessimist to deny that, which I say as a pretty depressing pessimist.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

OzyMandrill posted:

Vaccine effectiveness is a tricky subject, and there's no easily graphable way really to judge, especially as you could get Covid a week after the first jab and get reduced symptoms but still count as a vaccine 'fail' for the simple charts. Inactivated virus vaccines (AZ) rely on your body choosing which parts to respond to, and can learn several different gene sequences/proteins that kick off the immune response. It's a lottery whether these are good sequences (i.e. don't vary much and are actually important functional proteins) but you should respond to multiple viral proteins. If you have double the number of infections you will get roughly double the probability of a new 'strain'. Note that most variations tend to decrease virulence, but these will not even be noticable in the data. Its only the ones with similar or better infectivity that can go on to form a new visible strain.

mRNA vaccines are new, but only encode a single protein (and rely on your body turning the rna->protein so it can see it). It is the most important one (the spike protein) so if a vaccine gets a variation in that, then yes it could dodge the vaccine but also it would no longer be viable to infect the human cells so it's still a win. It's a laser-focused vaccine, rather than broad and random. But as with all things biological, this is a guideline not a rule. There could be a change that changes the spike to dodge the vaccine response and increases virulence but the chances are very small. But again, see the point about more infections = more rolls of the dice. May only be a trillion to one, but if you're allowing it to infect millions then it will be getting billions of chances each day.

It's not all doom and gloom tho. Immune response occurring within some hours of exposure as opposed to several days is what really saves you, and that's what all the vaccines will do. That exposure as well will fill in a bunch of missing protein profiles for your immune system too (as long as you weren't really unlucky and your immune system never got a good protein to lock onto in the first place, which is virtually impossible from mRNA). But even then, it still relies on your body having a functional immune system, which not everyone has.

yeah and to this point specifically there’s some murmuring as to efficacy rates being notably better by excluding the cases generated in the first week or two after vaccination occurs

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I am fully expecting everyone who had Astrazeneca to be told in 6 months time they have to get pfizer as well because it does nothing against the new iceland / omega variant.

I believe the correct scientific term is ‘Omega level mutant’.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It isn't that I want things to be poo poo, it's that they have literally been nothing but poo poo and gotten shittier every year I have been alive. At this point I would require some sort of brain damage to not anticipate some new shittiness to happen simply because the world is apparently structured in such a fashion that there are vast, untapped avalanches of poo poo poised to fall at any given moment.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
There's plenty of things to feel poo poo about in modern Britain and yeah being sceptical about what the tories are doing is the right reaction but they do seem to have lucked into the vaccine working better than expected.

It is also in the tory interests to not have a killer virus sweep the nation for any longer than two years after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's the "luck" element that is the issue, because the government keeps making decisions that kill shitloads of people, because they can't avoid doing that. Which means that it is only luck that manages to stave off the literal worst outcomes and I am not particularly confident in that continuing to be the case indefinitely.