Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Data Graham posted:

Why does SA not just have a dedicated imagehost that requires an SA login and only allows viewing via SA referrers
It does in the form of post attachments but they aren't super flexible and are stored in the database. :cry:

Improvements are forthcoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Why does SA not just have a dedicated imagehost that requires an SA login and only allows viewing via SA referrers

also $$$$$$$

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

also $$$$$$$
By using modern services, the waffleimages backup is estimated to cost <$10/month. It's not as bad as you might think. I do think I'd want the images to have to be attached to a post such that we can track who uploaded them and know who to ban if someone uploads something....unseemly. I have less than no desire to provide an full-on imgur-like service, but post attachments are very much doable.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
I have a really minor (maybe not so minor in implementation, idk) request. When you select ‘save image’ from the share sheet, pop up a disappearing overlay that says ‘image saved’. I always feel like I didn’t save an image when the share sheet just disappears with no feedback from the app.

Maybe I’m just weird

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I had never heard of iOS shortcuts before. Unfortunately, I have to install a trusted shortcut before I can use an untrusted on.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I just did this - there are built in ones you can use. It actually makes you *use* a shortcut before you can turn on the switch to allow untrusted ones, so i messaged myself a photo.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

You can also construct the shortcut yourself. The IMGUR one is very straightforward with only a few steps.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Has anyone ever seen an issue where a bookmark has no unread count next to it? No idea how to reproduce it.

Edit: ah, on the website it looks different:

smackfu fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 14, 2021

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

smackfu posted:

Has anyone ever seen an issue where a bookmark has no unread count next to it? No idea how to reproduce it.

Edit: ah, on the website it looks different:

I get this if I bookmark a thread and then don’t advance at least one page before I close/exit. Opening the bookmark in question seems to clear the issue and display the correct count again.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

We look at the exact same HTML as that page, so if it's not giving us that X button the thread looks like you haven't even opened it to us. Not sure what causes that...

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Obviously it would happen if you bookmark a thread without actually ever opening it.

Less obviously, the forums support a query string parameter in thread URLs (“noseen”, I think) that lets you read a thread without it getting marked as read. The app and the forums automatically add that parameter to links in certain situations. I don’t know the full list of what situations this happens in, but if you found a thread through one of these links, then bookmarked it, it would look like that.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Diabolik900 posted:

Obviously it would happen if you bookmark a thread without actually ever opening it.

Less obviously, the forums support a query string parameter in thread URLs (“noseen”, I think) that lets you read a thread without it getting marked as read. The app and the forums automatically add that parameter to links in certain situations. I don’t know the full list of what situations this happens in, but if you found a thread through one of these links, then bookmarked it, it would look like that.

The leper's colony just recently started doing that, I bet that's going to trip up at least one person.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ah yes, maybe I bookmarked a thread from the forum list for some reason instead of inside the thread.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Diabolik900 posted:

On the forums side, the leper's colony/rap sheets and search results (and for mods, report links) add this parameter.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
ok i’ve been using this app for years across various ipads/iphones in that time, firstly a huge thanks for making/up keeping it!

But since i bought an ipad pro i’m having this bug which is really killing it for me, pretty much every page of a thread when i hit the next page number it will just sit there with a blank page and the spinny smiley just… i dunno what it’s doing. it will seriously just sit there like it’s loading or something but nothing happens. so i hit the back/previous page and then the previous page won’t load either. The only way i can get the posts to load is if i keep going back/forward between pages and eventually, suddenly, the posts appear almost instantaneously.

Im pretty sure it’s not an internet connection thing since i have no issues with SA on a normal browser on the ipad.

I’ve deleted/reinstalled the app, no difference.
This is driving me nuts. Help!

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jun 16, 2021

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I see that sometimes too on my phone and iPad, fwiw.

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet
Ditto. I feel like a callback isn't firing when the page load completes or something.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

dumb request : can you make it so you can swipe left/right between images in a post? or even on the page? ty.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

is there a way to go to a person’s post history i’m not finding? is that on the roadmap or even feasible?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

It's on the roadmap, but so is the rest of Search so it's a bigger feature.

e: you can get to the "users posts in this thread" view by tapping their username/avatar and then Their Posts, but the new Post History button that jumps over to search doesn't have an equivalent yet.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

For a couple weeks, trying to play YouTube videos in posts never works. I have to hold and open it in browser or the YouTube app and it works instantly. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled, iPhone 12.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Faustian Bargain posted:

For a couple weeks, trying to play YouTube videos in posts never works. I have to hold and open it in browser or the YouTube app and it works instantly. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled, iPhone 12.

I haven’t been keeping track of whether this always happens for me, but it’s happening at least some of the time. iPhone 12 also

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
This maybe a YouTube thing. It's been an ongoing bug with the Apollo Reddit app. The developer fixed it in a recent update and it broke again.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

is the “filter by tag” screen supposed to look like this?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

No, but it’s not just you. There’s definitely some logic there that’s exactly backwards. The text is supposed to appear on top of the missing icons.

Also, ugh, I like the custom icons for the app, but keeping them up to date as new ones are added is a maintenance nightmare that we have not at all kept up with.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I’m getting a glitch on my XS running the beta where if I switch orientation the page zooms in to like 400% size or so.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Minor thing, but is the “posting….” pop-up after submitting a post going to get a dark mode version?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bug report: the pre blocks in this post (and probably any others) seem to overrun the different colored background of their bubble:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898332&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=14#post515095023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Totally locked out of the forums now using the app. Opened it this morning and couldn't see any bookmarks. I had to do a capthca on Desktop so logged out of the app but now I can't even log in.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Midjack posted:

Bug report: the pre blocks in this post (and probably any others) seem to overrun the different colored background of their bubble:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898332&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=14#post515095023
Gotta admit I was confused clicking on that link - that post isn't on that page of that thread.
I assume you mean this post:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3898332&pagenumber=346&perpage=40#post515095023

I don't have an iOS to investigate the bug, but if someone wants to, I believe that to be the correct link.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Totally locked out of the forums now using the app. Opened it this morning and couldn't see any bookmarks. I had to do a capthca on Desktop so logged out of the app but now I can't even log in.

Looks like it was the wifi I’m on. Weird as it was working fine for the last few days.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Looks like it was the wifi I’m on. Weird as it was working fine for the last few days.

Yeah, the app chokes on captchas

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Gotta admit I was confused clicking on that link - that post isn't on that page of that thread.
I assume you mean this post:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3898332&pagenumber=346&perpage=40#post515095023

I don't have an iOS to investigate the bug, but if someone wants to, I believe that to be the correct link.

That is the correct link, the one I posted was from finding the user's posts in the thread and getting the post url from that view so this may be a twofer bug.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hi it’s my bi monthly friendly request to let me save inline .mp4s to my camera roll.

You guys do fantastic work and I love this app.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

any way you could make it so when you highlight text in a post one of the options is to quote it?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hell yeah that would rock rear end.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It probably wouldn’t be too bad for the normal case of selecting plain text, but otherwise you need a way to go from formatted string and embeds to bbcode and that gets a little involved.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh yeah, because we only get access to rendered text, not the original bbcode. Foo

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Searched back a few pages and no mention, but there’s an issue with the current ios15 PB, where lightly touching any image seems to rapid scroll the user to the top of the page. It’s PB, so it’s gonna be buggy, but it can be annoying in img heavy threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

sourdough posted:

Fully accept this may be a dumb niche opinion, but I kinda don't like that Awful reopens the last thread I was browsing, and would rather start from forum index each time I open it (except when I'm just quickly swapping to another app and coming right back :sweatdrop:)

Swiping the app away on iPad pro doesn't actually make that happen, which would be the ideal (swipe it away when I'm done done, don't swipe it away when I'm coming back to it). Am I missing a simple way to accomplish this, like differentiating "I'm done with the app really close it" and "hang on I'll be right back"?

I would've thought swiping Awful out of the app switcher would've done the trick. I don't know any other way to do it, so you're not missing anything simple that I'm aware of.

Midjack posted:

I just had an error where viewing my own posts in a thread and attempting to edit the most recent one from that view instead quoted the post.

That sounds like the kind of situation I would never have tested! Adding to the list.

boop the snoot posted:

When you long press and bring up the menues (like text formatting, [img], and stuff) give us an option to go back or exit out of the long press menu completely. Sometimes I want to post a link but accidentally hit the text formatting and have to do some janky stuff to get the menu to go away and start over.

You should be able to just tap somewhere else to dismiss that menu? What janky stuff do you end up having to do? Maybe it's broken.

quote:

Have the ribbon at the top (parent thread, scroll to bottom, etc) toggleable to always on. Sometimes it doesn’t appear at all (like when scrolling back up, for example).

It's always on when VoiceOver is enabled, if that helps :D but yes, it's broken, I'll +1 it on the list.

quote:

Remove the imgur upload feature. It works maybe 10% of the time and 90% of the time it is just a frustrating. Leave everything else about it though. It’s broken, you’ve never been able to fix it. Time to admit defeat.

I'm desperately hoping it limps along until the Forums get an upgraded attachment system. I have a better success rate than you, but I totally get the frustration of a feature that doesn't work all the time. And in my defence, I haven't tried very hard to fix it.

shortspecialbus posted:

How hard would it be to add functionality for people to sign into their own imgur account for uploads?

I have a note to myself from 2013 to look into this, so I will +1 that note!

Data Graham posted:

Add nu-waffleimages integration instead lmao

(i know you can't upload new stuff to it)

We actually had randomwaffle support for awhile, and nu-waffleimages was done in a way that it'll seamlessly just work in Awful, so hopefully nothing is even noticeably different there.

Mr. Nice! posted:

On that note, the attachment system now, while not robust, does work. Is there any reason that the option to attach images to posts isn't available in app? You wouldn't be able to inline it like you can now with imgur (when it actually works), but it would be an actual reliable way to post pictures from my phone.

No good reason, just the usual: takes effort that nobody's exerted. And I prioritized Imgur because it works for everyone and works inline. It's on the list though and I would like to support it, because Imgur uploads disappear and nobody likes broken images in the goldmine.

irpoweroutlet posted:

I have a really minor (maybe not so minor in implementation, idk) request. When you select ‘save image’ from the share sheet, pop up a disappearing overlay that says ‘image saved’. I always feel like I didn’t save an image when the share sheet just disappears with no feedback from the app.

Maybe I’m just weird

You may be weird but that's a good idea, I'll add it to the list. At a minimum, the image preview share sheet should be easy.

ROFLBOT posted:

ok i’ve been using this app for years across various ipads/iphones in that time, firstly a huge thanks for making/up keeping it!

But since i bought an ipad pro i’m having this bug which is really killing it for me, pretty much every page of a thread when i hit the next page number it will just sit there with a blank page and the spinny smiley just… i dunno what it’s doing. it will seriously just sit there like it’s loading or something but nothing happens. so i hit the back/previous page and then the previous page won’t load either. The only way i can get the posts to load is if i keep going back/forward between pages and eventually, suddenly, the posts appear almost instantaneously.

Im pretty sure it’s not an internet connection thing since i have no issues with SA on a normal browser on the ipad.

I’ve deleted/reinstalled the app, no difference.
This is driving me nuts. Help!

You're welcome!

That's really lovely! I have no idea what's going on, off the top of my head. This

16-bit RDRAM posted:

Ditto. I feel like a callback isn't firing when the page load completes or something.
is an excellent guess. There's a few options for when to decide the page has finished loading and I've never felt sure that Awful picks the right one. Maybe I can rig up something to dismiss the spinner early and we can see if the page is just sitting there, waiting on some image that never finishes loading.

b_d posted:

dumb request : can you make it so you can swipe left/right between images in a post? or even on the page? ty.

Not dumb, good request! I thought it'd be cool to somehow include embedded tweets or videos too. No idea how to implement that nicely but I'll +1 it on the list.

Stare-Out posted:

Minor thing, but is the “posting….” pop-up after submitting a post going to get a dark mode version?

It really should, I'll add that to the list.

Midjack posted:

Welp, I'll check it out.

Midjack posted:

That is the correct link, the one I posted was from finding the user's posts in the thread and getting the post url from that view so this may be a twofer bug.

I think it is!

MarcusSA posted:

Hi it’s my bi monthly friendly request to let me save inline .mp4s to my camera roll.

You guys do fantastic work and I love this app.

Well this is my monthly catching up on the Awful thread to +1 it on the list!

And thank you!

b_d posted:

any way you could make it so when you highlight text in a post one of the options is to quote it?

This is one of those surprisingly giant pile of edge cases that I would nonetheless love to have someday, so +1 on the list.

It would actually be very cool if the BBcode-to-HTML, um, compiler? code was available. I've been wanting to make something that can go back and forth, and it's certainly doable by inspection, but might be easier to see the real implementation. (I realize there's probably licensing issues with just making it public.)

meanolmrcloud posted:

Searched back a few pages and no mention, but there’s an issue with the current ios15 PB, where lightly touching any image seems to rapid scroll the user to the top of the page. It’s PB, so it’s gonna be buggy, but it can be annoying in img heavy threads.

Always appreciate hearing about issues on beta iOS! Can't promise any timely fixes though. (That's not unique to betas, of course.)