Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Delta-Wye posted:

ngl seeing glowing seawater in person is pretty freaky

yeah and interacting with it is truly otherworldly

aint one thing like the pictures/descriptions posted though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Like, some of them almost look like some kind of energy (scanning?) is exciting the bacteria or whatever that create the bioluminescence. There's no way the bacteria are moving that fast. And the one that appears to go all the way to the horizon? Huh??

oh for sure, exactly the same

e: I think i misinterpreted your post lmao sorry

WEH has issued a correction as of 19:37 on Jun 14, 2021

Horrorosaurus
Oct 22, 2010

Wheeee posted:

buncha fuckin idiot nerds trying to be neil degrasse tyson because they have forgotten the face of carl sagan

gently caress you too buddy. I no nothing about Sagan and Neil Degrasse Tyson. I'm just pointing out the way too ridiculous stuff. If that doesn't suit you fine.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

WEH posted:

Like, some of them almost look like some kind of energy (scanning?) is exciting the bacteria or whatever that create the bioluminescence. There's no way the bacteria are moving that fast. And the one that appears to go all the way to the horizon? Huh??

oh for sure, exactly the same

e: I think i misinterpreted your post lmao sorry

my understanding is most of the bioluminescent organisms need some sort of excitation, being churned up by ship props or something. its hard for me to imagine how you would get such distinct geometric patterns in the open ocean, something fantastical is certainly happening no matter what the explanation.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

maybe its ghosts

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Delta-Wye posted:

my understanding is most of the bioluminescent organisms need some sort of excitation, being churned up by ship props or something. its hard for me to imagine how you would get such distinct geometric patterns in the open ocean, something fantastical is certainly happening no matter what the explanation.

when you take a boat through it the fish will move away, and as they do they leave glowing fish shaped specters that fizzle and dissipate over a few seconds. with the boat still you can stomp on the deck and the entire area around the boat will fill with these shapes.

you can do honest to god hadukens while swimming...theres nothing on the planet quite like it

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

It being mostly or entirely natural might explain why it doesn't appear to happen anymore :smith:

Anyway a lot of the sightings have extremely specific location data so maybe I'll plot em on a map after work

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

The whole sea from horizon to horizon seemed to be lit up from below, not with the usual flashes of phosphorescence, but one steady white glow like a lamp covered with frosted glass [....] Even our oldest officer, who has been 26 years on the run here, never saw anything resembling it. I would not see it again for £1, it was so uncanny.”

doesnt seem like youre talking about the same thing as what that guy in 1902 saw

^^^^ good point lol

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Carl Sagan, noted Pothead and Order of the Dolphin member

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Google Butt posted:

lol how do these big brain skeptics resolve those reports? They're entirely fabricated or edited?

Yes lol or the people are mistaken or not understanding what they see when they see something man-made or a natural phenomena.

Anecdotes isn't evidence, you can believe them if you want but people have reported seeing Ghosts for centuries and it doesn't make them any realer

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Carl Sagan got to smoke that space weed. Legalize it, Space Cops.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

Yes lol or the people are mistaken or not understanding what they see when they see something man-made or a natural phenomena.

Anecdotes isn't evidence, you can believe them if you want but people have reported seeing Ghosts for centuries and it doesn't make them any realer

this thread has decided that "someone said they saw a thing" is proof

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Horrorosaurus posted:

gently caress you too buddy. I no nothing about Sagan and Neil Degrasse Tyson. I'm just pointing out the way too ridiculous stuff. If that doesn't suit you fine.

you are not more intelligent than the active posters in this thread and your objections are not novel

you're like a child wandering up to the adult table and expecting us to be impressed by your powerful opinion that beer is gross

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Zokari posted:

that isn't true, go back to dnd, etc

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Zokari posted:

its all just shadows on a cavewall, op

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Zokari posted:

you evidently don't read well enough to be acting smug about anything

standing at the stern of a ship on the ocean at night is a fantastic experience

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
the ayyyyy variant has landed :tinfoil:

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

aliens exist, but 90 percent of what people call aliens are natural or human phenomena.

that 10 percent is what this thread is for

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

PawParole posted:

aliens exist, but 90 percent of what people call aliens are natural phenomena.

If aliens exist theyr natural phenomena

Whoa

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

The Saucer Hovers posted:

when you take a boat through it the fish will move away, and as they do they leave glowing fish shaped specters that fizzle and dissipate over a few seconds. with the boat still you can stomp on the deck and the entire area around the boat will fill with these shapes.

you can do honest to god hadukens while swimming...theres nothing on the planet quite like it

watching the bioluminescence getting stirred up by dolphins following the wake of our boat in hopes of fish gut treats was the most lisa frank moment of my entire existence

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

i want to believe

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
I just want to personally see some of this poo poo. It's not fair. Why don't I have cool giant pyramids floating over my house?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

imagine having "aliens aren't visiting" type energy lmao

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I'm thrumming with humans are kickass and interesting enough for me energy

Sad for everyone who got born as the universes coolest animal and are looking up at the sky for someone to take you away instead of looking forward at a tasty bbq

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Sad for everyone who got born as the universes coolest animal and are looking up at the sky for someone to take you away instead of looking forward at a tasty bbq

You are telling on yourself

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing

lol humans aren’t born with this much hubris it’s programmed

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

they just want to grill for gods sake

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

i ask you, if it is possible that we are not alone in the universe then how can we enjoy brunch???

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
'grillpilling' is an op

edit: the chapo to heavens gate pipeline

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Delta-Wye posted:

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

I'm thrumming with hummus

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/latestinspace/status/1404165966725066756

:kstare:

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Funny video from the passenger plane, if it's not an optical illusion.

I'm gonna be so pissed when the "biblical angels were aliens" losers turned out to be right.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

cool

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
drat bugs got a butt bullseye

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

I think a good indicator of something happening might be, if the stock market goes down significantly around the time the report is coming out next month. Since the senators will get the info first, I’m sure they would take out their money and tell their big playing friends. Just look at what happened last year with COVID.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

a shameful miss