Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Thanks, I will try both acetone and spar urethane varnish. Notably both of which were not solutions I found in prior research.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Welcome to woodworking, basically. We've been at this poo poo for thousands of years and it's still mostly a bunch of wildly conflicting Grandpa's Secret Family Recipes.
This seems to be the case! Only solution I can see it to write things down and further muddy the waters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I haven't messed around with purpleheart, but I did a piece in padauk a few years ago that has held it's color fairly well under a regular pre-cat lacquer with no extra UV blockers. It's in a bright room with lots of natural light, but no direct sun I don't think. I kind of hope it does start to fade because I really like the brown that padauk turns to. The purpleheart brown less so, but it's not a bad color. The way woods age and oxidize into a million shades of brown over time, sometimes over like, decades really fascinates me and I think it's a big part of why antiques look the way they do. It's just really hard to replicate the the effect of simultaneously oxidizing and darkening but also fading from sunlight etc. Satinwood is one of my favorite woods that starts out a really vibrant golden yellow-the color I wish maple was- but then over a hundred years it turns this really nice pale honey brown with wild figure that is, to me, so much prettier than the bright color it starts out as. There's some really incredible, delicate Edwardian satinwood furniture out there that is English cabinetmaking at it's peak of skill and style and it humbles me every time I come across it.

Serenade posted:

Thanks, I will try both acetone and spar urethane varnish. Notably both of which were not solutions I found in prior research.

This seems to be the case! Only solution I can see it to write things down and further muddy the waters.
Wood finishing in particular often seems arcane from the outside and there is a ton of bad advice on the internet (and in books and magazines, lol) and the manufacturers of wood finishes really don't help with confusing names and bad instructions. I'd very highly recommend for the umpteenth time itt Understand Wood Finishing by Bob Flexner, or literally anything he has written. Not only does he know what he's talking about, he is a really good, clear writer about some stuff that can get complex and technical.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I am slowly getting better at having a taste for choosing appropriate mat colors and woods to compliment frames

December

January

April

May

June

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Who is December? The art looks familiar.

May is Jeremy Bastion, right?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Uthor posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunt_of_the_Unicorn

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Is that Roast Beef in April?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So a while back someone was asking about the cheap 5-gallon bucket type dust collectors and whether they work. This is the results of my cheapo off of Amazon after jointing some pearwood and castello boxwood. I was almost completely using 1/32 passes on the jointer.

The amount of sawdust collected in the shop-vac was about equal to the amount in the bucket, but I think the bucket would have collected more if I'd realized how much dust I was actually generating and had emptied it a couple of times instead of letting it fill up like this. Also if I was taking thicker passes and generating larger chips I'm sure it would be more effective.

Still, I would say it does a fair job at taking at least 50% of the sawdust out of the air before it gets to the shop-vac.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Olothreutes posted:

Is that Roast Beef in April?

The middle cat. Not Ray, not Pat.

LlamaTrauma
Jan 12, 2005

Well here I am
Drunk in Heaven
Kinda seems redundant

The Locator posted:

So a while back someone was asking about the cheap 5-gallon bucket type dust collectors and whether they work. This is the results of my cheapo off of Amazon after jointing some pearwood and castello boxwood. I was almost completely using 1/32 passes on the jointer.

The amount of sawdust collected in the shop-vac was about equal to the amount in the bucket, but I think the bucket would have collected more if I'd realized how much dust I was actually generating and had emptied it a couple of times instead of letting it fill up like this. Also if I was taking thicker passes and generating larger chips I'm sure it would be more effective.

Still, I would say it does a fair job at taking at least 50% of the sawdust out of the air before it gets to the shop-vac.

You have this hooked up backwards. Your shop vac’s hose plugs into the top, not the side.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LlamaTrauma posted:

You have this hooked up backwards. Your shop vac’s hose plugs into the top, not the side.

Yup. Will work much better.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

LlamaTrauma posted:

Lol.. I might be an idiot. Thanks.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Ready for finish! (and the paper for the panels). Traditionally the lattice panels are unfinished so yay less work for me. The walnut frames I'm going to finish with watco danish oil because low effort and looks great.

Trying to decide if I should splash out for some authentic shoji paper or just use craft store vellum.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

more falafel please posted:

The middle cat. Not Ray, not Pat.

A-one and A-two....arggggh....... who cut the cheese?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Uthor posted:

My ex got it at a furry convention last year, as well as a dope baphomet with many tiddies print, and let me choose the one I wanted, but left both with me
Well after we split, I found that print, as well as a big pile of zebrawood I’d bought to build her a desk that would not be started before the breakup, and combined the two as a Christmas gift for her.

That is an unnecessary backstory to say “I have no idea”

May is, in fact, Jeremy Bastion, whom I’ve met at several cons and I think I have framed line five different prints of his at this point, plus all of his books. Jeremy is great.

And that’s an Onstad original from earlier this year, some random bootleg of Amano’s FFVI concept art, and some random pancake prints I found on Etsy.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 11, 2021

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

I'm gluing up two pieces of cherry to form bed legs using titlebond III. 1.75" before to 3.5" after thick, 6" wide, and ~5' long for the headboard legs. At what point do I cross from "that glue is 99% set" to "you are being completely ridiculous, take the clamps off"?

After "Buy more clamps," what is the second best answer?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sono posted:

I'm gluing up two pieces of cherry to form bed legs using titlebond III. 1.75" before to 3.5" after thick, 6" wide, and ~5' long for the headboard legs. At what point do I cross from "that glue is 99% set" to "you are being completely ridiculous, take the clamps off"?

After "Buy more clamps," what is the second best answer?
Face glueing bedposts like that I would leave them at least 12 hrs. You can push that. The manufacturer says you can unclamp after 30 min and not machine for 24-I've sure never unclamped anything that soon. Probably 4 hrs is fine if it's hot, dry weather, but you only need to do 4 of them, so why risk it? . If a joint fails on a bedpost after you've build the bed, the whole post is it's basically trash and hard to fix. I personally always play it safe on clamp time, and I have glued up a whoooooole lot of bedposts.

Heavy, acme-thread C-clamps or bar clamps are much, much better for that than F-clamps (in clamping force and depth of throat), but if you have enough F clamps and good joints it'll be fine. Regular redtop TB seems to dry a little faster and leaves less of a glueline and is cheaper and it's what I would use if you aren't water staining it, but TB III is fine too. As wide as your posts are, I'd def. try to get C clamps as close to center as possible.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Took a break from endless material prep for my main project to make some coasters for a Christmas gift.

Maple and purple heart. Pretty happy with how they came out. I have enough material for another set. Still have to sand and finish and maybe add cork bottoms. I was going to use spar varnish to make sure they’d be ok with getting wet but wasn’t sure if there was a better option.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Friend has asked for help fixing this chair. Any suggestions for how I could repair this seat joint? Beyond like "scrape glue off and reglue" I mean. Those connections seem a bit broken and stripped

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You can glue dowel into a screw hole and then screw into the dowel. This is not necessarily stronger than the original joint, especially since you're driving the screw into endgrain where it was previously crossgrain, but, the compression of the dowel by its hole helps to mitigate that.

Drill out the hole so you have fresh wood to glue to, of course. Glue in dowel with some of it proud, then pare flat with a chisel, then screw into it.

e. Also those screws barely bite into the seat, it looks like they're mostly there to hold the seat in position and the glue was doing all the work. I might consider driving screws down through the seat into the stretchers, if it's Ok to have exposed screw heads countersunk into the seat.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 12, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ok here's another question:

I harvested some green Caragana today (one of like 1000 Caragana shrubs in my wind break) and carved some spoons:

How long should I let that sit before doing final sanding/scraping and oiling?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CommonShore posted:

ok here's another question:

I harvested some green Caragana today (one of like 1000 Caragana shrubs in my wind break) and carved some spoons:

How long should I let that sit before doing final sanding/scraping and oiling?

Not knowing anything about that wood or how it dries, I would weigh it regularly on a postal scale. When the weight stabilizes, it's dried.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

So, I've been inspired by Dashner Design and Restoration to get the crummy finish and water stains off my Colonial-revival sewing stand. He seems to use a Husky-brand carbide scraper with a push knob. Do you recommend Husky for this task? If so, where do I find one? I was thinking of also getting this Lee Valley Tool detail scraper to get all the fiddly turned bits on the legs. Is that actually the best tool for the job? In the past, I've found cleaning all the curves on a turned leg or detail to be difficult with plain ol' sandpaper.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Made a "fine" wooden gate out of the nicest pressure treated 2x2 and a bunch of pocket hole screws.

The latch isn't like I wanted it to be, but I had to work around the downspout.

Probably wouldn't have known where to start six months ago.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 14, 2021

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Finished my kumiko lamps yesterday.

I'm very happy with how they turned out. Lots of little imperfections that no one else will ever notice.

My friends are like "you should make more to sell" so I looked at Etsy; someone in "Ohio" is selling "handmade" similar ones for $80.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anybody work with plate glass / have advice on handling it?

I'm in the planning stages of a builtin cabinet / shelving wall for the dining room and one section of cabinet doors might be nice to have glass paneling. If possible I'll try to design it so I can incorporate glass panels that I can buy at home depot. That said, if it's not incredibly difficult to cut some larger plate glass pieces down to size to fit within a wood cabinet door frame groove I'd like to have that as an option. However I have never worked with or cut glass in any capacity before so idk if it's a big deal or not.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

That Works posted:

I'm in the planning stages of a builtin cabinet / shelving wall for the dining room and one section of cabinet doors might be nice to have glass paneling. If possible I'll try to design it so I can incorporate glass panels that I can buy at home depot. That said, if it's not incredibly difficult to cut some larger plate glass pieces down to size to fit within a wood cabinet door frame groove I'd like to have that as an option. However I have never worked with or cut glass in any capacity before so idk if it's a big deal or not.

Several years ago I reglazed my house's century old windows using plate glass from HD. It's not difficult to cut it to size with a straightedge and glass cutter, especially if it's just rectangular. Just have to be patient and careful. Also, be careful transporting it home - don't hit any potholes!

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I worked at glass fabrication company for 5 years (in IT but you still pick up stuff at a small business).

Scoring and snapping glass by hand is pretty easy to get the hang of if you are just making rectangles out of thin glass. That said putting glass that isn’t tempered or laminated in your house is asking for big messy cuts. Depends on your area but I believe most buildings codes required tempered or laminated glass in residential buildings.

I would recommend finding a commercial window installer or a shower door installer and ordering tempered glass cut to size. 3/16 and 1/4 clear tempered glass is pretty cheap.

Edit: buy your self a pair of cut resistant gloves

Calidus fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 14, 2021

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Every time I work with glass I wind up loving up the first piece very badly and swearing at myself a lot as I drive back to home depot for another piece. Second one always goes fine though!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That Works posted:

Like others have said, it's pretty easy to cut yourself if it's all straight cuts, but it's even easier to call your friendly local glass company and give them your cut list. They don't usually charge much (if anything) for cutting it. Regular, single strength glass is fine for cabinet doors IMO. Tempered about doubles the prices.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Like others have said, it's pretty easy to cut yourself if it's all straight cuts, but it's even easier to call your friendly local glass company and give them your cut list. They don't usually charge much (if anything) for cutting it. Regular, single strength glass is fine for cabinet doors IMO. Tempered about doubles the prices.

The place I go to will also install it into my cabinet doors for free, at least for my small orders they do. Just drop the doors off and pick them up the next day, it also saves on measurements/tolerances.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

NomNomNom posted:

I'm very happy with how they turned out. Lots of little imperfections that no one else will ever notice.

My friends are like "you should make more to sell" so I looked at Etsy; someone in "Ohio" is selling "handmade" similar ones for $80.

Very nice, you may have mentioned this, but what did you use as the paper?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Uthor posted:

Made a "fine" wooden gate out of the nicest pressure treated 2x2 and a bunch of pocket hole screws.

The latch isn't like I wanted it to be, but I had to work around the downspout.

Probably wouldn't have known where to start six months ago.

Looks good. I made an (uglier) gate recently as well. I kept debating which way to put the cross support, then electroboom of all people made a youtube video about making a gate recently on his second channel and he made a good point about the diagonal support on a gate. The way you have it, the weight of the gate is putting the support in tension which means its trying to pull the screws out. If you were to put it the other way (bottom left to top right in the photo), potentially it would last longer since the weight would be in compression and not stressing the screw holds as much.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I have a front room I never use, so I figured I would build a bar. But it's also the front entryway, so I decided to make a bar that could turn back into a credenza when not in use.

Full build album:
https://imgur.com/gallery/z0LPNcz

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Very nice, you may have mentioned this, but what did you use as the paper?

I ended up using some translucent "vellum" from Michael's.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I have a front room I never use, so I figured I would build a bar. But it's also the front entryway, so I decided to make a bar that could turn back into a credenza when not in use.

Full build album:
https://imgur.com/gallery/z0LPNcz

This is so dope. Do the cabinets slide on the base structure to transform?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

NomNomNom posted:

This is so dope. Do the cabinets slide on the base structure to transform?

Thanks man. The back legs of the base are fixed and the front legs slide out to give you a footrest and make sure it doesn't tip over if someone puts weight on the bar overhang

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

NomNomNom posted:

yeah I really miss the days when Etsy was the place to buy hosed-up looking dolls some lady felted out of cat hair and not just a worse AliExpress

first coat of finish in and the sycamore's popping more than I expected:

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 15, 2021

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Squibbles posted:

Looks good. I made an (uglier) gate recently as well. I kept debating which way to put the cross support, then electroboom of all people made a youtube video about making a gate recently on his second channel and he made a good point about the diagonal support on a gate. The way you have it, the weight of the gate is putting the support in tension which means its trying to pull the screws out. If you were to put it the other way (bottom left to top right in the photo), potentially it would last longer since the weight would be in compression and not stressing the screw holds as much.

That's a good point, but I can't be bothered to swap it around right now. It's also kinda sorta pushing the frame into square as is. If it becomes a problem, I'll put in a metal brace or redo it then. Thanks for the tip, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
My first project is finished! Its hella janky, I would have done a dozen things differently if I did it again (like sourcing proper size maple boards instead of laminating 1x4s to make "2x4"s), and I have no idea if its going to hold up over time as I think there's more tension in the glue ups than there should be. But I designed it from nothing and made it with a contractor grade table saw while learning a ton in the process.

One thing I noticed today is that I can feel the seams between the boards in the side panels, where a week or two ago it was buttery smooth and even. Its been fully assembled and sanded down for the past week or two so I don't know if there's tension in the glue-up making the seams more prominent over time or there's a change in humidity doing it (its been in the garage the entire time). Any ideas as to why the seams would go from perfectly smooth to just being able to feel them?