Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

sebzilla posted:

Excited for the formation of a new class system based around which vaccination people got.

Signing up as a downtrodden AZ.

I have had one dose of AZ, and one of Moderna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

OwlFancier posted:

It's the "luck" element that is the issue, because the government keeps making decisions that kill shitloads of people, because they can't avoid doing that. Which means that it is only luck that manages to stave off the literal worst outcomes and I am not particularly confident in that continuing to be the case indefinitely.

That's totally fair, but I think regarding the pandemic in particular it's fairly safe to be cautiously optimistic. That's entirely in spite of the Tories best efforts, of course.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I had to suggest an outcome that is consistent with how they have handled it to date it will be doing just enough vaccination to keep the deaths under control but not enough to actually avoid spread and it will return to bite us collectively in the arse at some point in the future because things like booster shots to prevent susceptibility to new variants will be considered an unnecessary expense, or they will be something stupid like paid for like the flu vaccine and uptake will be poor.

Like the consistent trend has been to stop taking it seriously at the earliest opportunity every single time, they are incapable of learning, and the way the disease works means that every time they do that it comes right back.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 14, 2021

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Gonzo McFee posted:

There's plenty of things to feel poo poo about in modern Britain and yeah being sceptical about what the tories are doing is the right reaction but they do seem to have lucked into the vaccine working better than expected.

It is also in the tory interests to not have a killer virus sweep the nation for any longer than two years after all.

it wasn't in the their interests for it to sweep the nation at all and yet they still made sure it did

I would really like lockdowns to be over so I can see my friends and get on with my life, I've actually got plans to see people for the first time in a year and I would be absolutely gutted if we have to call them off, but it is 100% reasonable to expect the worst after the year and a half we've just had

like ok you can make all sorts of arguments about how whats the point of making yourself miserable expecting the worst but to be honest realising in February last year that things were hosed and likely to stay hosed for a long long time actually helped me mentally prepare for it and made me better able to recognise that the government were continually loving lying and incompetent eg when they said "oh things will be back to normal soon" last summer so I never got my hopes up, so it's not like pessimism is defacto bad

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

XMNN posted:

it wasn't in the their interests for it to sweep the nation at all and yet they still made sure it did

I would really like lockdowns to be over so I can see my friends and get on with my life, I've actually got plans to see people for the first time in a year and I would be absolutely gutted if we have to call them off, but it is 100% reasonable to expect the worst after the year and a half we've just had

like ok you can make all sorts of arguments about how whats the point of making yourself miserable expecting the worst but to be honest realising in February last year that things were hosed and likely to stay hosed for a long long time actually helped me mentally prepare for it and made me better able to recognise that the government were continually loving lying and incompetent eg when they said "oh things will be back to normal soon" last summer so I never got my hopes up, so it's not like pessimism is defacto bad

I appreciate that this helps some people but their loud vocalisations of it really hurt others and I’d appreciate if they’d pack it in a bit, or at least show a bit of empathy/tact, yknow?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Long Covid seems to share symptoms with CFS/ME, and given that there are still people who don't believe that exists, I can believe people are skeptical. On the other hand, people I know who had mild Covid at the start of last year were reporting symptoms for months afterwards - sense of taste/smell not fully back, not having enough breath to talk whilst walking - none of these have happened with flu. Those symptoms indicate long-term damage so yeah, why not something like ME in some people? Does it matter that Long Covid is exacerbated by lockdown stress? Stress and emotional state affect lots of physical illnesses (or the patients' perceptions of them) but it doesn't change the fact that the underlying condition exists. Death is a rare side outcome for Covid, and we've got a toll of 150k, so even if some kind of prolongued after-affect is twice as rare, that's still potentially 70k people with it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
not all of the symptoms but some of them are undoubtedly due to recovering from something like pneumonia. we either had covid or literally the worst flu of my life last year and it was months before things really got better. i still cough more today and it’s been over a year

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jakabite posted:

I appreciate that this helps some people but their loud vocalisations of it really hurt others and I’d appreciate if they’d pack it in a bit, or at least show a bit of empathy/tact, yknow?

idk I never expected people not to be unreasonably optimistic in front of me last year

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

XMNN posted:

idk I never expected people not to be unreasonably optimistic in front of me last year

Well if it bothered you maybe you should have said something at the time

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lady Demelza posted:

Long Covid seems to share symptoms with CFS/ME
Maybe this will convince more people that post viral fatigue is a thing.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jakabite posted:

I buttoned my pessimistic lip before the 2019 election because I was persuaded pessimism wasn't what campaigners needed to hear. And then after the election there was so much dismay from people who thought we'd win saying we'd misled them (despite the posts where people explained optimism was necessary in a campaign) that I have reconsidered. It seems to me that people who feel optimistic, and people who don't, just ought to put up with hearing other opinions.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jakabite posted:

Not you specifically you btw Bobby and I don’t think you’re even bad for it really. It’s not even specifically this thread but also so many people I know irl. I just had to ask my partner to not sound so happily confident that we’ll have to extend past 19th July.
I think I am biased toward it for autism reasons.* But I fully accept that other people are being driven mad with loneliness and anxiety, and that lockdown has to end.

There's also a part of me that does sort of want it to go wrong enough that Johnson doesn't end up getting away with this. Also I don't think I'm wrong to be concerned that Johnson's current schedule is too fast, and sacrificing caution in terms of variants building up immunity.

* This is probably the first time in my life where I've been able to just chill out without having pressure from in-laws multiple times a week to go out expensive places, or stand around at a party that makes me anxious and exhausted for days. And as soon as lockdown is over those demands will have been stacking up and are going to come back with a vengeance.

It's not that I want everyone else to stay locked down, it's that I'm going to miss being able to get away with living like this.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think I am biased toward it for autism reasons.* But I fully accept that other people are being driven mad with loneliness and anxiety, and that lockdown has to end.

There's also a part of me that does sort of want it to go wrong enough that Johnson doesn't end up getting away with this. Also I don't think I'm wrong to be concerned that Johnson's current schedule is too fast, and sacrificing caution in terms of variants building up immunity.

* This is probably the first time in my life where I've been able to just chill out without having pressure from in-laws multiple times a week to go out expensive places, or stand around at a party that makes me anxious and exhausted for days. And as soon as lockdown is over those demands will have been stacking up and are going to come back with a vengeance.

It's not that I want everyone else to stay locked down, it's that I'm going to miss being able to get away with living like this.

I appreciate the honesty of this post and that part about not wanting them to get away with it is I think a major driving factor for a lot of the folk I’m talking about - now that I think about it the majority are very very into politics to the point that it’s by far and away their main ‘hobby’. I think it’s those with that sort of thinking who do my head in more because I think I’d have been one of them not all that long ago!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The best news is that, even several weeks after cases began to rise, hospital cases have risen only mildly and deaths remain at rock bottom levels.

12th May: 2,231 new cases (7 day average)
12th June: 6,839 new cases (7 day average)

Increase = 207%.

12th May: 10 deaths (7 day average)
12th June: 8 deaths (7 day average)

Decrease = -20%.

So while new cases have more than tripled over the last 4 weeks, deaths have actually tailed off a little, which is pretty striking. It suggests that the vaccines are working well and that even people who get sick enough to need hospital treatment are much less likely to die than they were previously.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lindsay Hoyle trying to muscle in on Bercow's legacy by telling Johnson off like a child on live TV.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I don't doubt long covid, but I also think it is just post-viral fatigue. While this sounds suspect, my family caught a vold/flu virus in February last year, and while we didn't/couldn't get tested, the symptoms were extremely not-covid, but I was still hosed up with weird lingering effects of it all through to September, exacerbated by a one-two punch of the most severe hayfever I ever had.

So yeah, I think it's a very real thing, but I don't think it's a covid exclusive thing.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The problem is that with post viral fatigue, it is mostly just fatigue. There are people with long covid who've had a significant exacerbation of athma symptoms, or breathing trouble where none was previously present.

E: Also cardiac and nerve damage symptoms, as well as other nastiness, but breathing problems and lung damage seem to be the most common.

One thing I was thinking now is it'd be nice if the relaxation of restrictions came with a note about how some people are still vulnerable and will want to stay isolated or wear masks. But I know absolutely it's going to be framed with typical bluster about 'doing your bit for the economy' and 'get back out there' in a way that means anyone who has a cold and weats a mask, or declines to go to licky face night at weatherspoons is not going to have a great time.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 14, 2021

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Personally I exercise a whole bunch & idk for sure if it's long Covid or something else but it's definitely weird as gently caress that I'm stronger than I ever have been, still go running every once in a while, but I get out of breath walking up the stairs.

Oh dear me posted:

I buttoned my pessimistic lip before the 2019 election because I was persuaded pessimism wasn't what campaigners needed to hear. And then after the election there was so much dismay from people who thought we'd win saying we'd misled them (despite the posts where people explained optimism was necessary in a campaign) that I have reconsidered. It seems to me that people who feel optimistic, and people who don't, just ought to put up with hearing other opinions.
Counterpoint: 2017. The main feeling in the thread was "hope is a lie", so loads of people didn't bother, whilst the rest of us pulled off the biggest Labour swing since 1945. Most people need hope to get off their arses & do that.

XMNN posted:

it wasn't in the their long term interests for it to sweep the nation at all and yet they still made sure it did
Ftfy, capitalists are incapable of thinking outside of the short term. Once deaths are under control enough that lockdowns are off the table, their short term interests are keeping up with the vaccines.

Anyway, in December last year there is no loving way any of us would have believed that we'd all be vaccinated now, but here we are. Pessimism feels safe, but it's just speculation, & signs look good right now.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I got my second injection slot moved up 3 weeks by cancelling and rebooking it

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Immune systems are a gently caress, I have cfs/fibro symptoms probably related to a bad reaction to antibiotics nearly 5 years ago but another line of inquiry is this really started when I got swine flu really bad a decade or so ago

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jakabite posted:

Well if it bothered you maybe you should have said something at the time

honestly, why? people are perfectly entitled to be optimistic, just as they're entitled to be pessimistic

when people at my work wanted to believe things wouldn't be that bad in February or August last year, should I have said "no, actually things will get very poo poo and you should stop hoping that they won't"? Like, I was right and they were wrong, and it was annoying listening to people talking like things were going to work out fine, but isn't infecting people with your pessimism literally the thing you're complaining about?

like I understand that relentless pessimism can get pretty crushing but to be honest if not thinking things are probably going to work out great is a problem then paying attention to current events is probably a bad idea in general, and particularly in the UK. I completely checked out of them between December 2019 and February 2020 and it was pretty refreshing and something I would definitely recommend to people that are getting overwhelmed by bad news, but I think it's unreasonable to ask people in a current events discussion to not say "I'm worried things are going to get worse"

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
remember when we were all just going to have to stay at home for three weeks and this would all blow over, lol

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

ThomasPaine posted:

remember when we were all just going to have to stay at home for three weeks and this would all blow over, lol

Yup. I remember the certainty from other teachers on March 20th when we were telling students that they'd be going home that we'd obviously be back after the Easter holidays. I mean they were. It was just after the summer holidays too.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I left work on Wednesday March 11th 2020, packing my computer peripherals, and told people I'd see them next year. They chuckled as if I was joking, even though we were all biologists.

Still though, I think I was figuring we'd be back after the winter

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

There was someone in my office who, even after the government had given the ‘work from home if you’re able’ advice, was surprised that people didn’t think we’d be back in office in a fortnight.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I've had 1:1s with my manager every month for the last 15 months where she's implied that we'd be back in work 3 months from {current day}, to which I always say "oh, cool".

As soon as it became clear that they wouldn't supply me with a diagram of the ventilation in the building, I decided not to enter the office until I was jabbed at least

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Speaking of ventilation in the office, I’ve been in a couple of times this last couple of weeks due to a new project, and the AC is broken. This wouldn’t seem so bad but in modern office buildings, you can’t open the windows so the heat just builds up, apparently it hit 38C in one of the small meeting rooms.

The AC has been hosed for years and every summer seems to break for a time. I think the landlord is cheaping out on replacing it and the excuse this year is that the part is delayed.

They finally decided to get portable coolers in the meantime, but ended up hiring evaporative ones with no external exhaust, so now the office is hot and probably 99% humidity!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Fairly sure you're allowed to either walk out or smash a window in those circumstances.

Who even sells swamp coolers in Britain?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
my defining memory of the start of the pandemic is someone in the office worrying about their make up artist for their wedding getting covid because she "didn't have a back up plan" like the weekend before we went into lockdown, while I was having a conversation with someone else about how poo poo was about to get really hosed up about 2 m away

like the unreasonable optimism of some people was infuriating, but unless it was someone I was actively talking to about how hosed up current events arr I was perfectly fine keeping my pessimism to myself

in the case of management who basically didn't take it particularly seriously, apart from a few weeks of working from home right at the start, it was actively dangerous anf I did actually challenge them about what they were (not) doing, but when it was just people having unrealistic expectations of when things would be back to normal then it's not harming anyone and the fact I thought they were too hopeful was my problem

idk I basically think that optimism is fine and makes people happy so is good, and pessimism is obviously not particularly productive but its also a perfectly natural reaction to observing current events and is often borne out in the course of them

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Our office is some kind of Passive building with blinds that self adjust like there's a fussy temperature sensitive ghost wandering around the building, so god knows how the air currents work

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

is the uk pursuing any heterologous vaccination strategies? the preliminary data on 1st dose AZ followed by 2nd dose pfizer/moderna are very good

snipe: 42! pretty self-explanatory, really

It's approved by NICE and PHE but at this point - as far as I know - it's not actually happening anywhere in England at least, if only because it's a bit hard to change direction that quickly.

Apropos of nothing I had a guy tell me he didn't think he should get his second AZ dose today because his blood felt very thick and he thought it might be dangerous. As I'm just a numpty in a hi-viz pointing him in the direction of the people with the needles I gently suggested he ask the medics what they thought, and after a very long discussion that pulled in a pharmacist, two nurses, and a St. John's person he decided to drink a load of water to see if it made his blood feel any thinner. It did, and he got jabbed.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

I remember Kieth saying we had to 'break the cycle' and then a week later it came out that he'd run over a cyclist in his SUV.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm willing to bet the nurse came up with the drink idea. Wiley sods, them nurses.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Borrovan posted:

Personally I exercise a whole bunch & idk for sure if it's long Covid or something else but it's definitely weird as gently caress that I'm stronger than I ever have been, still go running every once in a while, but I get out of breath walking up the stairs.

lol you wally, youre old.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't think anyone (who was actually paying attention) thought that at the time. The most optimistic semi-official thing I saw was a convention that involves a lot of government departments and their suppliers, that was originally scheduled for April 2020, was postponed until July with a fairly breezy "We're confident there will be no need for social distancing by then". It's still not happened, by the way.

One thing I remember early on was there was a spreadsheet floating around of companies reactions and attitudes to WFH/furlough/covid-secure working, which I'd be interested to see updated now more than a year has passed. The vibe I'm very much getting from people in my industry* is a lot of big corporates are seriously considering going >90% WFH (from a pre-pandemic range of 10-20%), selling off their offices and downsizing to what would basically be like an internal WeWork kinda deal for meetings and people who just really want to go into the office. The middle-management craze for policing every last second of their staff's lives is very definitely being overridden by upper management realising just how much money they can save by making staff pay for their own tea and desks - and the smarter, or at least more cunning, middle managers are realising this makes their jobs more, not less secure because upper management are even less likely to get involved if they can't just breezily walk through every three months and ask what all these people are doing.

There's even quite a few who are coming around to the idea that while some stuff *is* undoubtedly harder to do remotely, they're still getting effectively free productivity gains both from the positive aspects of WFH (staff are more relaxed and able to work undistracted longer,) and the negative ones (staff are taking much shorter breaks and working longer hours without a commute).

* The ISP industry themselves are probably going to be among the last to do this because they've already generally got pretty good remote-working setups and - two hilariously notable exceptions aside - generally have cheap-as-poo poo office space anyway, but of course everyone in the industry is firing off market research because this sort of thing *is* going to massively change the market.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Azza Bamboo posted:

I'm willing to bet the nurse came up with the drink idea. Wiley sods, them nurses.

I think it was actually the St. Johns volunteer (obviously I was earwigging as frantically as possible while trying to appear like I wasn't so I can't be sure). Certainly she was the one who dashed off to the water cooler and came back with 4 glasses of water, and the ease with which she carried 4 glasses made me want to propose to her on the spot, as she was obviously well-used to standing her round.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

kecske posted:

I got my second injection slot moved up 3 weeks by cancelling and rebooking it

😮 Same here, cheers mate!

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

NotJustANumber99 posted:

lol you wally, youre old.
:(

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I definitely remember reading a few facebook posts from perhaps dumber/less cynical people I went to school with essentially saying 'just stay in for a month and if we all do that we'll be through it in time to have wild beer garden weather in the summer (of 2020) and it's going to be a crazy party' lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i dont think its dumb to think a thing will be over soon when weve never had to deal with it like ever....

even the smart guys, such as myself, arent sure.