Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Trusty Tingle the Hyena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i've got bad news for you...

Ya this is basically based on DS3 + you have more options with weapon artes so I am guessing it's gonna be even more action oriented than DS3/BB but less so than Sekiro. Honestly if you want slow tactical you can still go shield+spear you will be able to fight most of the enemies at your own pace.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Open world Dark Souls is going to rule.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Open Field.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

rings field

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I hope armour and weapon drops are still mostly unique and bespoke and not semi-random and procedural like in BotW.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

i think enjoyment of BotW is directly proportional to how much imagination and sense of wonder you still have (I have very little)

the "open" parts of dark souls (various swamps and forests. oh and a snowfield.) are always the worst. but I have faith they'll make it cool somehow.

perc2
May 16, 2020

cool av posted:

i think enjoyment of BotW is directly proportional to how much imagination and sense of wonder you still have (I have very little)

Ironically my first play of Dark Souls, not knowing anything about the game, restored a sense of wonder that I hadn't felt since playing games a kid. That mix of not knowing what the gently caress is going on, wondering what's that thing in the distance, playing the same part repeatedly, excited for what's next... now like 5 FROM titles later I am so utterly burnt out on the Souls formula I'm considering giving it an extra year after release before I play, hopefully by which point I won't remember any of the spoilers I picked up along the way

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

World War Mammories posted:

okay look we all have fun telling joke's around here but some things are just beyond the pale
I point down at Sekiro, I point down at you, and I point down at your dog!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BotW was very mediocre outside of Hyrule Castle, where it became insanely good

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
BotW was fun the first time, but it's a game that entirely hinges on exploration, so after you've explored everything, replay has nothing really to offer you that you haven't already seen.
IE: Seeing Farosh for the first time - "hey what the gently caress big dragon??? big dragon bossfight??? hello???"
Seeing Farosh for the tenth time: "what's good my man. gimme another one of those scales, i need to make some juice."

RBA Starblade posted:

BotW was very mediocre outside of Hyrule Castle, where it became insanely good
Hyrule castle owned and the fact you could do a stealth run early on to steal some good gear (like the essentially unbreakable hyrule shield) is definitely the best part.

Considering that Elden Ring supposedly has a bunch of random cool poo poo scattered around the world, I'm hoping that it'll be similar to that, ie: once you know where the Berserk Sword of gently caress You is, you can mad dash to it early on in later runs, even when the enemies near it are strong enough to one-shot you

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yo, any folks on Playstation, join the Playstation discord. We've got a fromsoft channel and I'm sure it'll be super active with Elden Ring release.

Links here:

https://discord.gg/GyGTTTXCBG

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

cool av posted:

the "open" parts of dark souls (various swamps and forests. oh and a snowfield.) are always the worst. but I have faith they'll make it cool somehow.

The giant crabs that have an entire group dedicated to keeping them alive own and so does that whole biome imo.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

cool av posted:

Agreed. I wish I could have played BotW in 2006 instead of Oblivion, when wide open vistas were novel. But these days "holy poo poo, you can see over in the distance and also walk over there??" is a distant memory and has been replaced with "ugh, I have to walk all the way over there??" That said, if anyone can pull it off in a way that still makes me feel something, I think it's Miyazaki.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
excited for elden ring to join the extremely small roster of “great open world games. i think that list is basically just botw and death stranding right now

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

punished milkman posted:

excited for elden ring to join the extremely small roster of “great open world games. i think that list is basically just botw and death stranding right now

Also Morrowind

This'll be Dark Souls 4 and Good Open World Game 4

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

punished milkman posted:

new vegas.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

um forgetting no more heroes much?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya imo even more than Bethesda, I am hyped for Obsidian getting the Microsoft triple a budget they still have potential meanwhile Bethesda's rpg's have been getting worse and worse. Ya the gunplay has improved from F3 to F4 but all the rpg elements have suffered. I have the Outer Worlds in my backlog, I wonder how that is.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ulio posted:

Ya imo even more than Bethesda, I am hyped for Obsidian getting the Microsoft triple a budget they still have potential meanwhile Bethesda's rpg's have been getting worse and worse. Ya the gunplay has improved from F3 to F4 but all the rpg elements have suffered. I have the Outer Worlds in my backlog, I wonder how that is.

lol

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ulio posted:

Ive heard it sucks big time. Ill probably never see for myself.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the outer worlds is kind of like homeopathic new vegas

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Real talk though, this does seem like it will probably not be the kind of open world many people are expecting. This talk of six areas and a hub area makes me think this isn't just one big seamless map, but several distinct "open fields" that may only be loosely connected with one another.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

Considering that Elden Ring supposedly has a bunch of random cool poo poo scattered around the world, I'm hoping that it'll be similar to that, ie: once you know where the Berserk Sword of gently caress You is, you can mad dash to it early on in later runs, even when the enemies near it are strong enough to one-shot you

Thanks for reminding me of my cheesy DS1 run where I killed the capra demon as the first boss by throwing poop at it and got crystal soul spear before fighting the taurus demon

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Real talk though, this does seem like it will probably not be the kind of open world many people are expecting. This talk of six areas and a hub area makes me think this isn't just one big seamless map, but several distinct "open fields" that may only be loosely connected with one another.

Which is good because "true" open worlds suck rear end.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

From a interview with a Russian site, Poison swamp confirmed.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Cowcaster posted:

nah it's not even so much that, just that there's all these things you can explore and do, but why would you want to

Sometimes video games are fun to play

the answer to "why" is fun

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

You all were posting Sekiro gifs earlier but there is a specific gif passed around that seems like its from DS3 of some (humanoid) boss jumping forward with a sword on fire, just blasting swinging sword fire everywhere in slowmo. Thats the best I can do describing it. I haven't ever been able to figure out which game/boss its from but its absolutely beautiful stuff. Post it if you have it!

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

acksplode posted:

BotW style free self-directed exploration with more meaningful stuff to find and greater emphasis on character development. :yeshaha:

Heh, reading that interview earlier I thought to myself, 'Acksplode is gonna love it'

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I don't know how to make it slow motion but if the combat in ER is even half as fluid as in Sekiro its going to be my game of the century.

https://i.imgur.com/yYGbmpT.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/IN45Wpj.mp4

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 15, 2021

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Blighttown in the front, Gutter in the back

Airflamer
Jan 21, 2012

wow that story was super amazingly awesome, im not even joking right now

Grimey Drawer
I'd be super pumped if they brought back the dual wield / power stance

perc2
May 16, 2020

If they nail the "hmm i wonder what that shadowy mist tower is in the distance" that you can see from the starting area and you get there and there's like a huge bison gate guardian thing blocking the entrance and you have to run away and explore a different area then they've already won

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Imhotep posted:

Heh, reading that interview earlier I thought to myself, 'Acksplode is gonna love it'

I am going to live inside this video game for a hundred hours

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Airflamer posted:

I'd be super pumped if they brought back the dual wield / power stance
Powerstance was cool and I liked how it incentivized not using shields

I dislike how doing it required a ridiculous number of stats (as an example - you needed 37/37 str/dex on top of the 20/20 int/faith to make the majestic greatsword have the moveset that made it special)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
dark souls 3 wasn't fast ENOUGH and invuln windows from rolling, etc. were much too big

sekiro is a good start as far as speed / mobility go but being entirely parry-centric was a step backwards. it looks cool but it downplays positioning in favor of timing and is extremely binary. fighting mooks in Sekiro is just a matter of figuring out how to overwhelm them quickly enough that you can get into an invulnerable kill animation before killing the next one and too many of the bossfights are just glorified QTEs. it works okay for a game that really wants to push you to be stealthy and ambush your opponents to minimize how much actual work you have to do / your exposure to damage, but i wouldn't want it in a more traditional Souls game

my wish list would basically be a Souls game with Sekiro's mobility but even more freedom, let me do crazy aerial poo poo without relying so hard on pre-defined grapple points, lots of weapons to choose from but no RPG stats, and parrying either rolled back to having extremely tight timing or just removed entirely (if they can come up with something else to fill the niche)

e: and bring back invasions again, obviously, preferably with fewer restrictions so it's easier to find a host and the game's MP lifespan is extended

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 15, 2021

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
from what they've said so far it sounds like Dark Souls combat + jumping & stealth options from Sekiro at the very least, and invasions & PVP are confirmed

here's another Miyazaki interview, this one in German: https://www.4players.de/4players.php/dispbericht/Allgemein/Vorschau/40800/84122/0/Elden_Ring.html

details:
-played a lot of open world games as research for how to make an open world game, including Elder Scrolls & GTA games, his favourite open world game was Breath of the Wild and he was also inspired by Shadow of the Colossus
-increased story compared to previous games, world will be denser with environmental storytelling than before as well as more NPCs & decisions to make when interacting with them
-"puzzles that can affect parts of the world"
-no difficulty options, but they hope the game will be more accessible than previous games due to the increased playstyle options & player freedom than before

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

lih posted:

from what they've said so far it sounds like Dark Souls combat + jumping & stealth options from Sekiro at the very least, and invasions & PVP are confirmed

Not really on the sekiro stuff. Miyazaki keeps emphasizing the simplicity of the stealth system for a reason. It's probably going to be even more basic than Elder Scrolls stealth.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i mean Sekiro stealth is fairly simple as a system too & not as complex as a dedicated stealth game

what we've seen/has been confirmed is you can crouch like in Sekiro & that can be used to sneak around, hide in grass etc. to get the jump on enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

lih posted:

i mean Sekiro stealth is fairly simple as a system too & not as complex as a dedicated stealth game

what we've seen/has been confirmed is you can crouch like in Sekiro & that can be used to sneak around, hide in grass etc. to get the jump on enemies.

Sure, but I'm expecting any sort of sekrio-like stealth takedown system though.