Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Has someone made metroid prime 4 in gaming garage yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
LMAO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24oXOpNaGcA

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

pixaal posted:

I haven't even heard of Yokai Watch before, how did this become so hated?
it's a bit of a long story

so... Level 5's CEO really, really wanted Yokai Watch to be the new Pokemon. he wanted it to surpass Pokemon and be an international phenomenon

the first game initially sold modestly in Japan until the Yokai Watch anime premiered, and then it took off. but, and i have to make this clear, NOT at phenomenon levels, just at "well selling video game" levels. but that was enough for Level 5, who decided that this was the time to go crazy with merchandise and new games and anime films and yokai watch yokai watch yokai watch. Who knows how many L5 internal projects ended up getting shelved or cancelled so that teams could be put on Yokai Watch development?

but there were two major problems. the first was that yokai watch did NOT fare the same internationally, selling a modest 400k units in America, which is, again, alright for a 3DS game, but not "we've conquered the world" sales. and when Yokai Watch 2 was released, it sold half the units of the first game (i'm pulling this data from wiki)... and then Yokai Watch 3 sold half the units of the previous two games. Do you see where this is going? It's basically Diminishing Returns: the Franchise. (apparently the worldwide units all put together kept the series in the 1M selling range, but certainly not a Pokemon killer)

but Level 5 was convinced that Yokai Watch would turn things around, so they just kept making games, and kept making merch. merch that become overstocked, games that continued to sell tepidly. between 2013 and 2020, L5 had produced 18 Yokai Watch games, spinoff games and mobile apps. 9 of the 18 games are on consoles. so yeah. they went wayyyy overboard.

meanwhile in america, the Yokai Watch toyline was discontinued in 2017, and it would be discontinued in 2018 in Europe and Latin America. the anime, which was and still is popular in Japan, would be discontinued after its third season ended at the end of 2018 (partnering with Disney XD was probably a poor choice compared to Disney proper, or Cartoon Network). the second yokai watch game, much like in japan, sold only half the units of the first game. I don't know what the data is on the third game in america, but it probably follows a similar progression. the 4th mainline game still has no release window in America. most of the spinoff games are Japan-only.

there were also other reasons for Yokai Watch's declining success in Japan. apparently L5 would put out a new merch line that was incompatible with the previous merch line, requiring kids to go and replace all their existing toys with brand new ones, which is a good way to kill kids' interest in your series. it also needs to be said that Yokai Watch was designed as a toyetic property, while Pokemon started as a card game before the rest of the merch came rolling in, and just by that very nature it's a lot easier for a kid to get into Pokemon, and hold onto cards that maintain their value over many years, than a flimsy wristwatch that has to be re-bought to fit the new medals that L5 was making.

i think the main thing is that pokemon became an international phenomenon from the anime, and THEN they started milking it. but L5 wanted to manufacture a phenomenon, and tried to get out in front of it, and it just didn't work

this is all sourced from wiki btw i'm not some video essay person. though i did watch a Level 5 E3 show once that was so stuffed up the rear end with Yokai Watch games and merch that it was embarassing. also multiple dance performances to Yokai Watch music

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 14, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:getin:

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1404483997170864135?s=21

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

The part where he complains then buys the thing anyway is extremely on brand for nintendo fans gamers

Edit: I'm intrigued by the new stuff in DDLC but am worries that it'll just be VN stuff played straight, which is not the reason is want to check it out

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 14, 2021

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

15 bux is a little more than I expected but heck, since the original PC release was free I'm more than happy to give the devs that much to replay it on the go.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man nurse posted:

It’s gonna be one or two new Zelda ports, stuff on games we already know about, and a complete no show from botw 2, Metroid, and the annual Earthbound rumors.

This will still be better than anything that’s been shown this E3 so far.

very accurate, nintendo fans would look at a really badly emulated Twilight Princess port for $60 and def think it's better than the other stuff shown the last few days

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That stuff about Yokai Watch is all basically accurate, and I'll add that for a short period it did seem like it was going to be a huge, long-lasting thing, to the part where you can notice even Gamefreak try to take some cues from it with Sun and Moon. But unfortunately Level 5 fumbled hard, which is a shame as at least the first two were well put together games, just managed by people who couldn't plan that well.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Lodin posted:

What is a thing is this LEGO puzzler. Ever since the first Star Wars one from TT came out I've had a similar idea for a game banging about in my head and now someone's gone and made it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K1m8WfPeck

this game is good but $20 is way overpriced. it's a mobile game

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DLC Inc posted:

very accurate, nintendo fans would look at a really badly emulated Twilight Princess port for $60 and def think it's better than the other stuff shown the last few days

It literally would be

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Haha this made me laugh

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It literally would be

Beats the hell out of Skyward Sword

Weedle
May 31, 2006

just release dusk. i don't care about anything else

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

The 7th Guest posted:

it's a bit of a long story

so... Level 5's CEO really, really wanted Yokai Watch to be the new Pokemon. he wanted it to surpass Pokemon and be an international phenomenon

the first game initially sold modestly in Japan until the Yokai Watch anime premiered, and then it took off. but, and i have to make this clear, NOT at phenomenon levels, just at "well selling video game" levels. but that was enough for Level 5, who decided that this was the time to go crazy with merchandise and new games and anime films and yokai watch yokai watch yokai watch. Who knows how many L5 internal projects ended up getting shelved or cancelled so that teams could be put on Yokai Watch development?

but there were two major problems. the first was that yokai watch did NOT fare the same internationally, selling a modest 400k units in America, which is, again, alright for a 3DS game, but not "we've conquered the world" sales. and when Yokai Watch 2 was released, it sold half the units of the first game (i'm pulling this data from wiki)... and then Yokai Watch 3 sold half the units of the previous two games. Do you see where this is going? It's basically Diminishing Returns: the Franchise. (apparently the worldwide units all put together kept the series in the 1M selling range, but certainly not a Pokemon killer)

but Level 5 was convinced that Yokai Watch would turn things around, so they just kept making games, and kept making merch. merch that become overstocked, games that continued to sell tepidly. between 2013 and 2020, L5 had produced 18 Yokai Watch games, spinoff games and mobile apps. 9 of the 18 games are on consoles. so yeah. they went wayyyy overboard.

meanwhile in america, the Yokai Watch toyline was discontinued in 2017, and it would be discontinued in 2018 in Europe and Latin America. the anime, which was and still is popular in Japan, would be discontinued after its third season ended at the end of 2018 (partnering with Disney XD was probably a poor choice compared to Disney proper, or Cartoon Network). the second yokai watch game, much like in japan, sold only half the units of the first game. I don't know what the data is on the third game in america, but it probably follows a similar progression. the 4th mainline game still has no release window in America. most of the spinoff games are Japan-only.

there were also other reasons for Yokai Watch's declining success in Japan. apparently L5 would put out a new merch line that was incompatible with the previous merch line, requiring kids to go and replace all their existing toys with brand new ones, which is a good way to kill kids' interest in your series. it also needs to be said that Yokai Watch was designed as a toyetic property, while Pokemon started as a card game before the rest of the merch came rolling in, and just by that very nature it's a lot easier for a kid to get into Pokemon, and hold onto cards that maintain their value over many years, than a flimsy wristwatch that has to be re-bought to fit the new medals that L5 was making.

i think the main thing is that pokemon became an international phenomenon from the anime, and THEN they started milking it. but L5 wanted to manufacture a phenomenon, and tried to get out in front of it, and it just didn't work

this is all sourced from wiki btw i'm not some video essay person. though i did watch a Level 5 E3 show once that was so stuffed up the rear end with Yokai Watch games and merch that it was embarassing. also multiple dance performances to Yokai Watch music

In my opinion, I think another factor is that Pokemon as a brand is appealing to a wide range of all ages, whereas Yokai Watch is mostly limited to appealing to elementary school kids

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The 7th Guest posted:

it's a bit of a long story...

I used to like Level 5's PS2 games like Dark Cloud had wondered what they had been up to. I mostly avoid monster catching games because I don't really have the time and most are pretty bad (even the newest pokemon felt unfinished but I did enjoy it). If goons bring them up they are usually worth a shot though. They need to give it time between releases. This sounds like a complete mess with no chance of recovery and doesn't sound like it has anything unique and worth exploring.

Thanks for the write up was a good read and told me what was needed (now for someone to come in and defend it and derail the thread)

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Augus posted:

iirc kraden (the main character of the series) is involved in a bunch of pervy old man jokes, sorry to be the one to break this to you
Wait is Golden Sun an anime too??? I've made a huge mistake.

It wouldn't suprise me tbh but I'm not sure how far to take your word on it as calling Kraden the main character indicates you probably don't know anything about the games at all lol.

I just wanted to make fun of Dragon Quest for having wierd japanese boob jokes. I hate that poo poo in Dragonball too but I still watch it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Golden Sun is 100% anime.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Mr Phillby posted:

Wait is Golden Sun an anime too??? I've made a huge mistake.

It wouldn't suprise me tbh but I'm not sure how far to take your word on it as calling Kraden the main character indicates you probably don't know anything about the games at all lol.

I just wanted to make fun of Dragon Quest for having wierd japanese boob jokes. I hate that poo poo in Dragonball too but I still watch it.

drat. Interesting.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Weedle posted:

this game is good but $20 is way overpriced. it's a mobile game

It's also really short.

It's a cute little game, but there's a reason it was announced as just a small part of the Apple Arcade subscription that includes a bunch of other much more in-depth games even in the same puzzler category (What the Golf, for example).

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Srice posted:

15 bux is a little more than I expected but heck, since the original PC release was free I'm more than happy to give the devs that much to replay it on the go.

sitting on the bus watching anime character stab herself to death. "im nornmal" i think to myself

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
In a better world Yokai Watch would have died so that Professor Layton could live, instead of the inverse.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Stux posted:

sitting on the bus watching anime character stab herself to death. "im nornmal" i think to myself

:hai:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Stux posted:

Hard agree, Srice should be playing it in his car like a responsible citizen

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It is but I have trouble enjoying Aliens because it's so different from Alien, which is one of my favorite movies. I also prefer horror to action I guess, though there are some great great action movies out there.

Do movies still get game adaptations, come to think of it? I remember how much of a thing that was back in the day. With blockbusters being superhero fare these days what's adapted isn't so much a movie as a franchise I find.

The big problem with alien is that while there have been many sequels to the original, there has never been a sequel that has captured the same vibe as the original. Isolation is about as close as you get but that's also a game, not a movie.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The Nintendo Switch is a full on pervert simulator device now

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Geo Fixer posted:

The big problem with alien is that while there have been many sequels to the original, there has never been a sequel that has captured the same vibe as the original. Isolation is about as close as you get but that's also a game, not a movie.

try avp

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Roadie posted:

It's also really short.

It's a cute little game, but there's a reason it was announced as just a small part of the Apple Arcade subscription that includes a bunch of other much more in-depth games even in the same puzzler category (What the Golf, for example).
Yeah I'm curious how extensive the additional content will be. I thought the game was decent enough for Actually Free but I feel it'd need to be at least twice as long to justify $20.

e: I played it for under 4 hours and that was with a joint playthrough where I was discussing it with someone else, pretty sure it would be faster on my own

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 14, 2021

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oh man the Tennis RPG I've been craving for ages, plus other sports!

Lodin posted:

They will never show Detective Pikachu! It's probably the easiest game on earth to make with a competent team so I have no idea why it's still not a thing.

What is a thing is this LEGO puzzler. Ever since the first Star Wars one from TT came out I've had a similar idea for a game banging about in my head and now someone's gone and made it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K1m8WfPeck

That's really soothing. What's the Star Wars one you're talking about?

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Stux posted:

try avp

Maybe when hell freezes over

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Shammypants posted:

“Now”?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

*sees a drawing of a stick figure* what is this pevrerted filth. probably some real Freaks get off on this. bring back the nintendo seal of approval

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Shammypants posted:

I literally just probated someone for a week for repeatedly posting like this over DDLC but I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and just leave this picture from the rules thread as a warning

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The hollering of these hit dogs, it's deafening

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
As far as real predictions go, I'm thinking we'll see a shadow-drop or near-term release of Genshin Impact. That has the very specific combination of "big enough for a direct, but underwhelming enough for reality" that I've come to expect lately.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

The hollering of these hit dogs, it's deafening

What's that now?

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Justin_Brett posted:

I know opinions on anime get weird here but I can't imagine watching Big O and G Gundam and thinking 'ah yes, these are identical'.

And Big O is quite literally in the same style that I always saw when i watched Batman Beyond as a kid. I think the same studio animated both or something.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Harrow posted:

What's that now?

Text not coming through?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

Text not coming through?

Well I just want to make sure you mean what I think you mean before I hit the probate button, is all.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Harrow posted:

Well I just want to make sure you mean what I think you mean before I hit the probate button, is all.

Really proving everyone wrong here. Both about mods and anime.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Weedle posted:

just release dusk. i don't care about anything else

loving hell, this. My god, it's been teased enough. And it was supposed to come out last halloween?! What the hell is the hold-up?