Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Turbinosamente posted:

Ooh I forgot about that one, according to YouTube its some funky Egyptian flavored jazz. I liked it some but clearly not enough to remember to buy it. I've listened to most of the poo poo I bought and probably should have skipped The Sword but oh well. Elton John and Alestorm were nice, maybe they'll sound better when I get a new cartridge. I'm half suspecting the cartridge is inexplicably borked because I switched the left and right wires at the head shell as a test and surprise, surprise, the music switched from the left to right speakers. I don't understand why an ortofon red cart should up and die like that after only a bit over a year of semi regular use though. I've ordered another for now (which will be the true test), but if you guys have any suggestions for good all around and not overly expensive cartridges they'd be most welcome, I can slap most things on my player.

Goddamnit :negative:

I read your other post and was going to warn you but then I scrolled down and you'd already got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

I read your other post and was going to warn you but then I scrolled down and you'd already got it.

Eh easily fixable, not too worried about the loss of 10 bucks. Can always force it on to some one else as a last resort too.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

My favorite local shop opened at 10, I went at 11:30 to no line, and got the two releases I wanted: M. Ward and Rage against the machine.

They didn’t participate last time due to COVID so I think people wrote them off this time. If RSD was this nice every time I’d go more often.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

I sure could go for a copy of the soundtrack to It Follows. The Newbury version is like $99 now. Or do I just get the MOV release?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Eh easily fixable, not too worried about the loss of 10 bucks. Can always force it on to some one else as a last resort too.

Barnes and Noble does a 50% of sale on Criterion DVDs and blu-rays in July if you can hold out that long.

IG-88 posted:

I sure could go for a copy of the soundtrack to It Follows. The Newbury version is like $99 now. Or do I just get the MOV release?

I've seen that in Newbury Comics a lot and they probably still have it. I don't know if it's the exclusive version or not but if you just want the album I can check into that and I'll send it your way.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Turbinosamente posted:

ATTENTION asnorban and pwn

I got both Warren zevon and dirty three oceans in hand. Plastic wrap is ripped on dirty three but I got anyway

Edit: too much of a bitch to quote fast on mobile. Its $45 for warren and $67 for ocean before tax btw. Also also pics etc when I get back home.

Obviously we’ve been in touch via PMs since then but publicly I say thank you!

I went to my shoppe at closing an hour ago, got the Stillwater EP because it’s neat (but $25 neat? Ehhhh...) and a couple non-RSD bits. They had the Ocean thing asnorban was craving. I almost bought it before remembering that I have never heard it and have no idea what it is. I was gonna grab it for you before I thankfully saw that Turbinosamente (how is that supposed to be pronounced?) did so already.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

pwn posted:

Obviously we’ve been in touch via PMs since then but publicly I say thank you!

I went to my shoppe at closing an hour ago, got the Stillwater EP because it’s neat (but $25 neat? Ehhhh...) and a couple non-RSD bits. They had the Ocean thing asnorban was craving. I almost bought it before remembering that I have never heard it and have no idea what it is. I was gonna grab it for you before I thankfully saw that Turbinosamente (how is that supposed to be pronounced?) did so already.

You're welcome! And Turb-eeno-sam-ent-tay I guess? Any Italians in the thread who'd know how? I picked it just cause I liked the look of the word knowing full well everyone would miss the "i". I found it as the name of a song off of the OK Connery soundtrack and google translate told me it means to whirl round and round. Appropriate, as the song is 1960s spy movie frenzied fight music.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
Picked up the Zevon Preludes, unfortunately that was the only thing my local store (Academy Annex in Brooklyn) had when I went.

Though I did get a super clean copy of Chuck Berry's The Great Twenty-Eight for $5, so that did make the trip worth it.

CURIOSITY OF GEESE
Jan 29, 2009

My favorite meat is hot dog, by the way. That is my favorite meat. My second favorite meat is hamburger. And, everyone says, oh, don’t you prefer steak? It’s like, I know steaks are great, but I like hot dog best, and I like hamburger next best.
A friend of mine waited in line all morning in Denver and managed to get the one thing he wanted—that grateful dead Europe '72 show. Gotta say, I'm unbelievably jealous because I had to work today and am pretty far from a shop that participates. I'm not much for RSD partially because an exclusive like that should be more widely available instead of a one-off speculation macguffin. It's in the pantheon if great shows the dead played and I want it but there's no way I'm paying secondhand market prices for that. (If anyone bought an extra copy I will absolutely buy it from you)

In happier news I jumped on those casiopea represses because they're still cheaper than getting them from discogs lol. Can't wait to finally spin Mint Jams at my bar. Especially since some of the other recent citypop releases just showed up. Perfect summer beer jams

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

All right, I am sure most of you don't give a gently caress but since I asked a bunch of questions in this thread about buying a turntable I figured I owed you an update.

I bought the Fluance RT-82 and a Little Bear T7 Vacuum Tube Mini Phono Stage with some different tubes, and the Edifier R1280DB Powered Speakers.

I figured this was a decent bang for the buck and would get me a setup to start with. I also went to RSD in Minneapolis not knowing it was RSD. I bought a Modest Mouse album since I didn't see anything I wanted from whatever got released today.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 13, 2021

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I didn’t go out today but I did get my Oh Inverted World 20th anniversary in the mail today, the Fall of Troy doppelgänger repress yesterday, and Mdou Moctar from one of the bandcamp fridays a week ago. That puts me down to… seven preorders I’m waiting on?

Might go out on Monday to see what’s left, but this year was kind of underwhelming for me. Mostly “well if I can find this whenever” types instead of “welp time to get in line at 6 am”.

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
Ive been looking at the fluance RT82 and the AT 120. I think I'm going to the RT82, I've seen many people talking about the build quality but honestly anything will be an upgrade over the All in one victrola i have.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

HORROR OF GEESE posted:

A friend of mine waited in line all morning in Denver and managed to get the one thing he wanted—that grateful dead Europe '72 show. Gotta say, I'm unbelievably jealous because I had to work today and am pretty far from a shop that participates. I'm not much for RSD partially because an exclusive like that should be more widely available instead of a one-off speculation macguffin. It's in the pantheon if great shows the dead played and I want it but there's no way I'm paying secondhand market prices for that. (If anyone bought an extra copy I will absolutely buy it from you)

I think I saw that tonight, I’ll stop by Sunday if I can somehow drag myself out of the house before 4.

SUNDAY EDIT: it gone now, sorry :saddowns:

pwn fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 13, 2021

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

CPL593H posted:

Barnes and Noble does a 50% of sale on Criterion DVDs and blu-rays in July if you can hold out that long.

I've seen that in Newbury Comics a lot and they probably still have it. I don't know if it's the exclusive version or not but if you just want the album I can check into that and I'll send it your way.

It should be either purple or the rainbow splatter. I don’t think there’s a pure black release. Let me know though because I will def pick that up off of you and throw you an extra $10 for the work if that’s cool? DM me.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Looks like Rubellan Remasters is remastering the first three Oingo Boingo records! Only a Lad this month, Nothing to Fear and Good for Your Soul in September.

https://twitter.com/rubellan/status/1395567943740796934

CURIOSITY OF GEESE
Jan 29, 2009

My favorite meat is hot dog, by the way. That is my favorite meat. My second favorite meat is hamburger. And, everyone says, oh, don’t you prefer steak? It’s like, I know steaks are great, but I like hot dog best, and I like hamburger next best.
Found some Bush Tetras, Shellac, and Guided By Voices on my last trip to the record store! Also found that godawful Neil young rockabilly album lol. Almost bought it for a friend as a joke, but an $8 joke was a little much right then. It'll probably still be there next week

pwn posted:

I think I saw that tonight, I’ll stop by Sunday if I can somehow drag myself out of the house before 4.

SUNDAY EDIT: it gone now, sorry :saddowns:

No worries, pwn. My roommates are better off this way. Thanks for checking!

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

caligulamprey posted:

Looks like Rubellan Remasters is remastering the first three Oingo Boingo records! Only a Lad this month, Nothing to Fear and Good for Your Soul in September.

https://twitter.com/rubellan/status/1395567943740796934

Hell yeah, I've been looking for Good For Your Soul in any format. Looking forward to it.

RSD stuff...I got the Residents record. I've never heard anything by them, but with the extent to which they've been talked up in this forum, I'm sure it's going to be something special. Local stores didn't have any of the Warren Zevon or Grateful Dead records left, which were the only other ones I was really keeping an eye out for.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CaptainBeefart posted:

That's the great thing about the more obscure stuff, 90% of people flip right past it. I almost bought that Mulatu Astatke record, if it's still in a shop next week I'll probably grab it.

I went to one shop around 2pm to see what was left. Didn't find a copy of the William Tyler release but I'm assuming it'll get rereleased at some point.

Only RSD release I grabbed is the Salah Ragab - Egypt Strut; no idea what it sounds like but I'm sure I'll dig it.

Chic: We refuse to sit on couches like normal people, what are you gonna do about it?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

IG-88 posted:

It should be either purple or the rainbow splatter. I don’t think there’s a pure black release. Let me know though because I will def pick that up off of you and throw you an extra $10 for the work if that’s cool? DM me.

I wasn't able to go there today but I called and they have one that's blue with rainbow splatter. It's 35 bucks though. I'm probably going there tomorrow just for something to do and I'll pick that up if you still want it.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

HORROR OF GEESE posted:

godawful Neil young rockabilly album

Are you talking about the doo-wop album with him and the pink spiders? I like that one. Lol

Edit: tbf I picked that one up when I was on a blues and Jimmy Reed kick.

I received a call at 8 am from Omega Music that they reserved a copy of the William Tyler release for me. Woo!

CaptainBeefart fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 14, 2021

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Got around to listening to the Residents record, definitely quite a treat. What exactly the treat consists of I'm not entirely sure, but hopefully any side effects will be minimal and/or can be remedied by appropriate medication.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Preorders are showing up for a repress of LCD Soundsystem - The Long Goodbye so if you're like me and regret not buying it years ago when it was like $120 instead of $400, your patience has been rewarded

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Meaty Ore posted:

Got around to listening to the Residents record, definitely quite a treat. What exactly the treat consists of I'm not entirely sure, but hopefully any side effects will be minimal and/or can be remedied by appropriate medication.
Ahahah, I was wondering how this was gonna play out considering it's a collection of studio fuckery and very publicly disowned demos - this is the first time anything from Rusty Coathangers for the Doctor has been officially released since it was recorded in 1970, actually.

There's about a minute and a half from that concentrate that somehow sounds exactly like Neutral Milk Hotel and I'm completely baffled how a bunch of stoned maniacs who literally didn't know how to play any instruments stumbled on that sound.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
idk there are certain moments with them where I swear they knew a lot more than they let on

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

caligulamprey posted:

Ahahah, I was wondering how this was gonna play out considering it's a collection of studio fuckery and very publicly disowned demos - this is the first time anything from Rusty Coathangers for the Doctor has been officially released since it was recorded in 1970, actually.

There's about a minute and a half from that concentrate that somehow sounds exactly like Neutral Milk Hotel and I'm completely baffled how a bunch of stoned maniacs who literally didn't know how to play any instruments stumbled on that sound.

I was kidding to an extent; I actually enjoyed it and found most of the stuff to be fairly accessible. My favorite bits were probably the Satisfaction variants, Crumbling Mountain Sketch, We're a Happy Family (which it turns out I had already heard--someone linked Morgan Fisher's Miniatures project album upthread), and Shut Up.

And yeah, that's...definitely a :catstare: way to open a record.

All in all, I think it was probably not the worst introduction to their sound, and I'm glad I picked it up.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Just stopped by Red Zeppelin outside of Dallas and picked up a copy of that Age of Winters that was exclusive for RSD. It looks beautiful.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Holy poo poo, you absolute angels! Thank you for bringing this to my attention. :D

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Barry posted:

Preorders are showing up for a repress of LCD Soundsystem - The Long Goodbye so if you're like me and regret not buying it years ago when it was like $120 instead of $400, your patience has been rewarded

a) link please
b) is it still pressed in a completely batshit order where you need two turntables and an inability to count to six to play it in order?

in other news, my mono masters came in and it's great

in other other news, one of the wires in my table's headshell came loose and I didn't notice and spent an age and a half checking every other connection in my setup

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Barry posted:

hexwren posted:

a) link please

Looks like it'll be priced around $130 and released in late July:

https://recordstoreday.com/UPC/829732000016

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.reddit.com/r/VinylReleases/comments/nz1ggk/lcd_soundsystem_the_long_goodbye_popmarket_w_free/

I saw it here and there's a little bit of discuss about retailers and coupon codes. Ordered one from Popmarket, we'll see how that goes.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

hexwren posted:

in other other news, one of the wires in my table's headshell came loose and I didn't notice and spent an age and a half checking every other connection in my setup

At least you were able to fix it. I just spent three hours going through my set up to try and figure out what's wrong with the left channel and have come to the conclusion that there's a busted connection in the tone arm or in the internals someplace between the headshell and the output jacks. I am a sad panda who's going to have to call the repair shop tomorrow. I hope it can be fixed, I don't wanna replace this table it has a great feature set!

edit: But on the upside my quest to buy every Sparks album in the city before the documentary is going well, I picked up a copy of Propaganda today.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 15, 2021

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

CPL593H posted:

I wasn't able to go there today but I called and they have one that's blue with rainbow splatter. It's 35 bucks though. I'm probably going there tomorrow just for something to do and I'll pick that up if you still want it.

Yes, definitely. Let me know how much I owe you!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Gradually tooling myself up to start washing and ripping all these weird old records. Got a vinyl vac, a spin clean, a small wet-dry vac, and just dashed this together to last me until something more permanent shows up. I'll probably just make something like this out of plywood or something.

Not by my special request, I'll tell you that.

I was just trying to come up with a good use for old record jackets. Plain cardboard would be a lot easier to cut.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Take that, The Brothers Four

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Take that, The Brothers Four

Frogg. :frogout:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I'd rather be in Bowling Green

Clearly predates the Bowling Green Massacre

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Mannnnn, Royal Trux not putting Sweet Sixteen on vinyl is some bullshit.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

caligulamprey posted:

Mannnnn, Royal Trux not putting Sweet Sixteen on vinyl is some bullshit.

Ahhh what a mess of a band. I bought tickets for their show here in Portland knowing full well that it had a 90% chance of being canceled. (it was)

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

sporklift posted:

Ahhh what a mess of a band. I bought tickets for their show here in Portland knowing full well that it had a 90% chance of being canceled. (it was)
I had tickets to Portland and Seattle. :unsmigghh:

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I got paid today so I just ordered the repress of Mint Jams; I'm buzzing with happiness. :)

I was JUST talking about wanting a repress/affordable original the other day, and here it is! Is this what white girls on social media mean when they say they're "manifesting" something?

Also, these were out of stock, but it looks like they put up a few more copies. If y'all like synthwave, check it out.
https://twitter.com/TimeSlaveRec/status/1398312879749799937

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 15, 2021