Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t know why basketball fans over the last 10 years or so have completely forgotten that defense exists and is important . I have two theories. Well three
1. People play fantasy and only care about that. Fantasy basketball doesn’t follow defense really
2. People like "advanced stats " which are usually nothing more than repackaged box scores and eschew any defensive metrics
3. Social media packages highlights in such a way as to only show you step back threes and hero ball devoid of context and with the false narrative that the savior nikola(or whomever) single handedly wins games with long contested threes or globetrotter passes

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

great points which podcast did they come
from

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1404531586771689479?s=21

This will probably happen

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Space Camp fuckup posted:

great points which podcast did they come
from

my insights aren’t coming from espn podcasts sponsored by betting sites

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

euphronius posted:

my insights aren’t coming from espn podcasts sponsored by betting sites

oh so some different podcasts? which ones?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Space Camp fuckup posted:

oh so some different podcasts? which ones?

the podcast in my head, ami

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

euphronius posted:

I don’t know why basketball fans over the last 10 years or so have completely forgotten that defense exists and is important . I have two theories. Well three
1. People play fantasy and only care about that. Fantasy basketball doesn’t follow defense really
2. People like "advanced stats " which are usually nothing more than repackaged box scores and eschew any defensive metrics
3. Social media packages highlights in such a way as to only show you step back threes and hero ball devoid of context and with the false narrative that the savior nikola(or whomever) single handedly wins games with long contested threes or globetrotter passes

how many points do they give you for defense? zero? sounds like a bad deal.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

They already have an award for defense it's called DPOY

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

They already have an award for defense it's called DPOY

they haven’t hosed that one up yet

tho it’s hard for me to square giving mvp to a no defense center and dpoy to another center

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

if DPOY is the defense award then it only makes sense that MVP is the offense award

e: the warriors aren't winning anymore which means that the game has evolved from small ball and now centers deserve all the awards like in the 90s

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

Advanced stats can show individual impact on the defensive end a lot better than traditional box scores.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

1. blocks and steals
2. defensive plus-minus
3. many such cases

you rant and rave about imaginary people playing fantasy basketball even though it's like the least popular fantasy sport. also nba.com lists the top players in terms of fantasy points and nikola vucevic is #5 and domantas sabonis is #9 in 2021 but i don't hear anyone sing their praises

also if jokic was so bad on d then ayton should have done a lot more than he did. he was way more effective against the lakers. as it stands i think jokic is maybe average on d

Yossarian-22 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 14, 2021

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
mvp most valuable puncher

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Advanced stats can show individual impact on the defensive end a lot better than traditional box scores.

you say that and then the first thing the next guy mentions is blocks and steals

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yossarian-22 posted:

1. blocks and steals
2. defensive plus-minus
3. many such cases

you rant and rave about imaginary people playing fantasy basketball even though it's like the least popular fantasy sport. also nba.com lists the top players in terms of fantasy points and nikola vucevic is #5 and domantas sabonis is #9 in 2021 but i don't hear anyone sing their praises

also if jokic was so bad on d then ayton should have done a lot more than he did. he was way more effective against the lakers. as it stands i think jokic is maybe average on d

lmao did you see Chris Paul’s numbers ? that was all jokic being horrible

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

oh well I think the sixers are winning tonight

the hawks don’t have enough horses

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Vox Nihili posted:

any serious analyst will tell you advanced stats are maybe 30% adequate at actually capturing defensive impact in basketball. they can’t even reliably do it in baseball yet and that’s way easier to analyze both in terms of sample size and individual contribution to any given play

e: like look at Gobert, there are dozens if not hundreds of highlights showing a guard driving then straight up making GBS threads his pants and passing in fear, how do you quantify that

indigi fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 15, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

and yet a guy just won an mvp based on stats which cover at best 30% of the game

it’s maddening. I want to take back the sport from stat !! stat men bad

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

If the league gave the MVP award to Jokic when he doesn't deserve it, there's only one real explanation: racism

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

euphronius posted:

and yet a guy just won an mvp based on stats which cover at best 30% of the game

it’s maddening. I want to take back the sport from stat !! stat men bad

please break down for me in percentages what you think composes the game of nba hoops

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Aye Doc posted:

please break down for me in percentages what you think composes the game of nba hoops

100% scoring more than the other team in regulation time or overtime

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the only statistics that matter are The Look Having Percentage and Times They Told Their Body "Not Today"

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

trae young hurt his shoulder baiting Embiid into one of these

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Stevie Lee posted:

trae young hurt his shoulder baiting Embiid into one of these

it seems like he did lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Embiid playing out of his mind

He’s going to die soon :(

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

euphronius posted:

Embiid playing out of his mind

He’s going to die soon :(

yeah, he's definitely not right. I'm hoping Milwaukee-Brooklyn goes 7 games and he can get a few more days of rest

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

indigi posted:

any serious analyst will tell you advanced stats are maybe 30% adequate at actually capturing defensive impact in basketball. they can’t even reliably do it in baseball yet and that’s way easier to analyze both in terms of sample size and individual contribution to any given play

e: like look at Gobert, there are dozens if not hundreds of highlights showing a guard driving then straight up making GBS threads his pants and passing in fear, how do you quantify that

Well the advanced stats showed that he was the best defender in the league this year so they seemingly handled it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

korkmaz getting roasted

maybe have to replace him

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
lol @ the ref wearing a mask for the dumb rule explanation segment

it's good, nobody needs to hear what a fuckin ref thinks

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
korkmaz is good for one hot stretch per game

euphronius