Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Duncan, standing over the collapsed bridge: I'm gonna get you a nice fruit basket, I'm gonna MISS HIM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014
Leto II, having to make do with an Ixian No-Dick.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

kiimo posted:

Their Guild Navigators are garbage. Like flesh bats from a muppets special. Not a vagina mouth in sight

For real. It's like they watched the space-folding scene in the Lynch film and said "let's make this even stupider".

This is the coolest fan concept art of the Guild Navigators:

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

For real. It's like they watched the space-folding scene in the Lynch film and said "let's make this even stupider".

This is the coolest fan concept art of the Guild Navigators:

The first one is a bit too Predator but otherwise that is dope as hell

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The clunky late 90s cgi is definitely part of the charm, and the acting is dicey, but it really does look pretty great in high quality. The costumes and physical sets rule pretty hard

And they filmed the dinner scene

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Ingmar terdman posted:

The clunky late 90s cgi is definitely part of the charm

My brain automatically inserted the Babylon 5 background music during the scene where they go board the Heighliner.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

I wonder how the new film will handle the crossing. Do we need to see a Navigator? It really deflates the tension to have Paul wonder aloud about their appearance, get told "nobody knows," and then cut to full frontal. And for what story benefit? It makes things weird, sure, and it gives fans something new to argue about, but it probably turns off a lot of new viewers.

If Villeneuve puts one in at all I'd bet on the Navigator being almost totally shrouded in spice gas, so its form is ambiguous. Like the heptapods in Arrival. But probably they'll just be left out. Leave it as a shock if they ever adapt Messiah.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Prolonged Priapism posted:

I wonder how the new film will handle the crossing. Do we need to see a Navigator? It really deflates the tension to have Paul wonder aloud about their appearance, get told "nobody knows," and then cut to full frontal. And for what story benefit? It makes things weird, sure, and it gives fans something new to argue about, but it probably turns off a lot of new viewers.

If Villeneuve puts one in at all I'd bet on the Navigator being almost totally shrouded in spice gas, so its form is ambiguous. Like the heptapods in Arrival. But probably they'll just be left out. Leave it as a shock if they ever adapt Messiah.

I like the arrival idea. Whatever the reveal is it should look like some kind of brain vagina - they deliver you across space to new worlds

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I think I said it a year ago on my first watch, but I really like Kynes in dunc 2000, and you get his sweet-rear end book death

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Neither Lynch nor Syfy could resist the opportunity to do navigators, they’re too cool. I’ll be surprised if Villeneuve turns down the chance

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

A concept artist claimed in an interview that Villeneuve told him up front that there will be no navigators in the movie (maybe sequel too), but the guy asked to do a design either way "just in case". Villeneuve agreed and liked the design but still it will not be in the movie. Maybe if they do later books.

That's my recollection without bothering to find the link.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Makes sense, the Navigators don't show up til at least Messiah, right?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
iirc they talk about them in the first book but Edric is the first time you get to meet one.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

At the end of Dune proper there are a couple Navigators - looking maybe like minimally mutated humans with eyes of ibad covered by contacts.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Anne Frank Funk posted:

At the end of Dune proper there are a couple Navigators - looking maybe like minimally mutated humans with eyes of ibad covered by contacts.

Yeah. In Messiah the word “Steersman” is also used to describe the kind of weird mutant thing that Edric is. The idea of there being “stages” of Guild Navigator as they develop from normal human, implicit in the earlier books, is only made explicit in 1984, when Heretics and Lynch Dune both use the term.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dune Messiah pretty explicitly makes it clear that there are degrees of mutation within the Spacing Guild.
Here's a couple of paragraphs:

"Dune Messiah posted:

Scytale looked at the Guild envoy. Edric swam in a container of orange gas only a few paces away. His container sat in the center of the transparent dome which the Bene Gesserit had built for this meeting.The Guildsman was an elongated figure, vaguely humanoid with finned feet and hugely fanned membranous hands -- a fish in a strange sea. His tank's vents emitted a pale orange cloud rich with thesmell of the geriatric spice, melange.
[snip]
"There are people and things in our universe which I know only by their effects," Edric said, his fishmouth held in a thin line. "I know they have been here . . . there . . . somewhere. As water creatures stir up the currents in their passage, so the prescient stir up Time. I have seen where your husband has been; never have I seen him nor the people who truly share his aims and loyalties. This is the concealment which an adept gives to those who are his."
[snip]
Scytale shifted his gaze from Irulan to the tank, inviting the Princess to share his viewpoint. She would, Scytale knew, see Edric as a repellent figure: the bold stare, those monstrous feet and hands moving softly in the gas, the smoky swirling of orange eddies around him. She would wonder about his sex habits, thinking how odd it would be to mate with such a one. Even the field-force generator which recreated for Edric the weightlessness of space would set him apart from her now.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 15, 2021

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So do you like fishsticks?

Do you like putting fishdicks in your mouth?

Edric chuckles to himself.

fishdicks lol

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

The Shape of No Water

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"do guild navigators have dicks?" - the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
gently caress a guild navigator? Buddy,

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The mystery of the guild navigators is they create a fold in space, then gently caress it. They desperately hide this from the galaxy for obvious reasons.

Only Jodorowsky would have had the balls to explore this on screen

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
The guild fleshlight really takes you places

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

from the waffle archive

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Did they not read the later books or what that's not a tank

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Ingmar terdman posted:

from the waffle archive

tag urself

i'm "OH GAP"

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

wind pass

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm Storm Plastic

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

WarMECH posted:

tag urself

i'm "OH GAP"

Pasty Mesa, baby

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i am Tsimpo, also known as the Minor Erg.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

I'm ars*unt

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ugh.

Harg pass

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

kiimo posted:

Ugh.

Harg pass

Lol

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cielago Depression

*discovers Great Flat*
"Well it ain't getting any more of a great flat than this, good as name as any"
*writes it on map in ink*
*travels slightly south and looks around*
"uuuuuh gently caress."

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

*discovers Great Flat*
"Well it ain't getting any more of a great flat than this, good as name as any"
*writes it on map in ink*
*travels slightly east and looks around*
"uuuuuh gently caress."

it's a weird map

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah I'm not 100% sure the guy who named all the false walls was on top of that either.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

T'simpo

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
STORM!
plastic

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I'm casually watching the mini series for the first time since it aired, and it just feels so... off. The dumbed-down dialogue is killing me. Contrast Lynch's Gurney saying "ah, but look down... we'd have joined each other in death" with "do you want sing soprano?", good lord that's dire.

It's pretty to look at (except the freakishly glowing eyes, lol), but the dialogue and pacing are majorly throwing me off. So far it's like the motion picture version of a wikipedia summary. "So he sticks his hand in a box, but survives. Then..."

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Doesn’t Chani get her baps out in a scene almost as gratuitous as Sha’re (oh god I just got that) in SG-1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I can't handle the terrible desert soundstage work. At least do a location shoot and then put your CGI in around it, please, somehow!