Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Convocation of 14 - hydaelyn - zodiark = 12

The 12 gods are actually 13 individuals (Nald + Thal), also the convocation outside of Azem was tempered and wouldn't have helped out the new races -> wouldn't have left behind any legends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

hobbesmaster posted:

Convocation of 14 - hydaelyn - zodiark = 12

Hydaelyn (or Venat) wasn't a member of the convocation, or at all related to them aside from being in opposition. Elidibus became Zodiark's heart, but he hosed off from that job to go help-and-probably-temper the Convocation, so there's no reason to lop him off for that.

Simple arithmetic says that there's something not quite right about claiming the Convocation are the Twelve, because then you have to figure out... well, why did two of them disappear? You can bring the mystery number down to one by claiming that Nald and Thal were two different members, but then you need a good explanation for that, too (personally I go with 'Loghrif and Mitron, history is notoriously bad at recognizing romantic relationships that aren't heteronormative'), and still resolve the missing one (for which I've got nothing).

I like the idea of the Twelve not being from a single source and just being a hodge-podge of various disparate figures lumped into the same group, partly because that's how real religions do and partly because it would give me more pointless background lore to nerd out about. But I also just don't expect it at this point. I bet they are somehow related to the Ancients/Convocation, and we just haven't managed to square that circle in the way they will yet.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/zucchini_loaf/status/1404282885402546180?s=19

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I don’t think the Twelve correspond to the Convocation at all personally. Some of them, yes, in the sense that Azem WAS a member of the Convocation but remember that they abandoned their post and were snubbed for that very reason!

More likely in my opinion is that the Twelve are an amalgamation of distorted memories of Azem, Venat, members of Venat’s cohort, and unrelated figures from previous calamity time periods.

Venat and her company being involved would certainly possibly help contribute to why Source society is so adamantly convinced the Twelve have a direct connection to Hydaelyn even if they have the relationship of who is who’s children reversed.

Not a subject that I have SUPER strong opinions on because it could go in a number of directions at this point but that’s how I’m leaning.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 14, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I always thought it strange that the description of Eorzea for a new player says so much stuff about the gods and being touched by the gods and being proof the gods love us or whatever, only for the gods to be rarely touched upon in-game. I remember a lot of talk about the patron god of Limsa early on, and Rhalgr in SB, and Halone in HW. But only ever as an honorific or something, and the gods I believe are notably absent in Shadowbringers.

I wonder what SE wants to do with the gods, because the only people who talk poo poo about them are Ascians/Imperials. Maybe nothing, really. Maybe just hints without definitive anything ever.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They're literally making a whole raid series about them OP

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Literally "are the twelve otherwise engaged" + "we will speak later Ascian".

Wonder if there's going to be unintended devastation.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

jokes posted:

I always thought it strange that the description of Eorzea for a new player says so much stuff about the gods and being touched by the gods and being proof the gods love us or whatever, only for the gods to be rarely touched upon in-game. I remember a lot of talk about the patron god of Limsa early on, and Rhalgr in SB, and Halone in HW. But only ever as an honorific or something, and the gods I believe are notably absent in Shadowbringers.

I wonder what SE wants to do with the gods, because the only people who talk poo poo about them are Ascians/Imperials. Maybe nothing, really. Maybe just hints without definitive anything ever.

The game has depicted though never explicitly stated the gods are essentially like gods IRL: that they're just names people give to arbitrary cosmic forces and concepts to personify them in a way identifiable to the culture, even going so far as to deconstruct Hydaelyn and Zodiark as the same thing as all the other "false" gods that the player has been killing since the start.

Whether that's going to change with the upcoming raid is an unanswered question. I'd be surprised if they suddenly wheeled around with "but these ones are special/real," but at this point if they did I'd expect there to be some satisfying and less Aldenard-centric explanation.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Regarding the "Eorzea, touched by the gods" thing that's in the original ARR intro, I have vague recollections of old lore panel transcripts/lore Q&As where it's explained that Erozea just has a shitton of aether resident in it. Lots of aether in a location means plants and animals (and people? IDK) grow bigger and better, they're richer places to settle and live, and it's otherwise what makes it such a desirable place to settle and be. So any "the gods have blessed Eorzea" strikes me as at least partially in-world religious thankfulness on the part of Eorzeans themselves.

The other part of this is that something huge and terrifying and powerful is/was under Silvertear Lake, the very center of Eorzea. And legends in general go that there's something gods-related and very important there, important enough that Midgardsormr was set to guard it, and enormous enough that the whole Agrius wreck thing popped some sort of seal and ruptured a lot of that stored aether and made summonings so much easier.

It's not literally blessed by literal gods, but it's got some poo poo happening.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

FeatherFloat posted:

Regarding the "Eorzea, touched by the gods" thing that's in the original ARR intro, I have vague recollections of old lore panel transcripts/lore Q&As where it's explained that Erozea just has a shitton of aether resident in it. Lots of aether in a location means plants and animals (and people? IDK) grow bigger and better, they're richer places to settle and live, and it's otherwise what makes it such a desirable place to settle and be. So any "the gods have blessed Eorzea" strikes me as at least partially in-world religious thankfulness on the part of Eorzeans themselves.

The other part of this is that something huge and terrifying and powerful is/was under Silvertear Lake, the very center of Eorzea. And legends in general go that there's something gods-related and very important there, important enough that Midgardsormr was set to guard it, and enormous enough that the whole Agrius wreck thing popped some sort of seal and ruptured a lot of that stored aether and made summonings so much easier.

It's not literally blessed by literal gods, but it's got some poo poo happening.

the fall of Dalamud also released a shitton of Aether around Eorzea as well. In addition to the spoilery poo poo at the end of the Coils of Bahamut.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

what if they told us to do coil before endwalker cause we're gonna dig up the ragnarok and launch it at the moon

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Vitamean posted:

what if they told us to do coil before endwalker cause we're gonna dig up the ragnarok and launch it at the moon

"People of Eorzea, my grandfather sacrificed himself to turn into an eikon and save everyone from Dalamund! And that eikon looked exactly like a spaceship!"

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I had kinda taken for granted that Ragnarok would be how we actually got to the moon lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vitamean posted:

Didn't Ragnarok show up in one of the trailers

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There was a Ragnarok class ship, or something similar, in the moon location preview.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Didn't Ragnarok show up in one of the trailers

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

There was a Ragnarok class ship, or something similar, in the moon location preview.

https://youtu.be/unu9dXOtWgQ?t=35

That sure looks like a thruster of some type

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
That's allagan sputnik.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I mean, there's a spaceship in the logo, that's almost definitely how we are getting to the moon.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

WrightOfWay posted:

I mean, there's a spaceship in the logo, that's almost definitely how we are getting to the moon.

No, we're almost definitely going to the moon on a whale, everyone else is getting to the moon on that ship.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

hobbesmaster posted:

No, we're almost definitely going to the moon on a whale, everyone else is getting to the moon on that ship.

I'm still thinking we get to the moon via Tower of Babel.
Fight through the dungeon and we either activate a giant space elevator, or there's a teleporter.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

pretty sure the logo confirms we're going to the moon on a giant dorito?

In all seriousness, when I saw the bit on the moon in the Mare preview vid I'd imagined it was one of those spears on Dalamud getting launched into the moon five years ago.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Vitamean posted:

pretty sure the logo confirms we're going to the moon on a giant dorito?

In all seriousness, when I saw the bit on the moon in the Mare preview vid I'd imagined it was one of those spears on Dalamud getting launched into the moon five years ago.

You can see those in Carteneau Flats, which is Borderland Ruins in Frontline and also a few solo duties including the big 5.55 finale take place there. They're very broad and flat, the thruster-looking thing in the Moon preview is more rounded and narrow

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The dorito on the coverart bears a passing resemblance to Lunatic Pandora...

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The only way to get to the moon will be if you bought the Lunar Whale mount from the shop

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

The only way to get to the moon will be if you bought the Lunar Whale mount from the shop

WTS moon whale ferry service 1mil, 3 seats left!

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

hobbesmaster posted:

WTS moon whale ferry service 1mil, 3 seats left!

WTS moon whale ferry service, 999,999 Gil, 7 seats left!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
gently caress all your mounts, I'm walking to the moon. The zone transition has to be around somewhere.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DrakePegasus posted:

:mad:

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Cleretic posted:

gently caress all your mounts, I'm walking to the moon. The zone transition has to be around somewhere.

Ironworks Employee: Headed to the moon?
>[Yes]<
[No]

Ironworks Employee: Ok, have a nice trip!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DrakePegasus posted:

I laughed

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Man, last time I went to the moon everybody else AFK'd below decks and left me to fight the monsters.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

The giant dorito could just be a giant USB from a weird angle. There's a bunch of Ragnarok class internment hulk lying around, though the fact that they are called hulks doesn't really suggest they're all that great at moving around anymore.

I can see it being something new as well though being a coil reference makes a lot of sense.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
We're obviously going to the moon on our good buddy Bismark, duh.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

We’re going to the moon on the back of a new Bismarck. This time it’s Bismarck from space. And it will help us fight Lunar Bismarck, with a special cameo appearance by Eorzea’s Bismarck and a flashback to The First’s Bismarck.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yo what the gently caress why does everyone suddenly care about North Dakota?

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

jokes posted:

We’re going to the moon on the back of a new Bismarck. This time it’s Bismarck from space. And it will help us fight Lunar Bismarck, with a special cameo appearance by Eorzea’s Bismarck and a flashback to The First’s Bismarck.

The quest to do this begins in Limsa's Bismarck.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
if we get a b-/a-/s-rank hunt that uses the primal model but smaller and altered slightly we can call it a bismarck-y mark

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Ok so i avoided spoilers for ages as it took me forever to get to rank 25 in Zadnor and finish the Dalriada, but what a wild ride that was, especially reading the field notes you get for the quest completion *PHEW*

Was there any obvious change with the decisions you made I know there was supposed to be something.

Also I noticed, we got a fancy Chapter Title Card but not an end card. And none of this stuff is in NG+ yet. Is there still yet more Bozja we haven't gotten yet?

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Pyronic posted:

Was there any obvious change with the decisions you made I know there was supposed to be something.

The whole "your choices matter" warning was a lot of hullabaloo over nothing. Either 1. (asked Bajsaljen earlier to spare Misija, tried to kill Misija yourself) Bajsaljen takes the knife out of your hand and kills her, 2. you give the knife to Bajsaljen and he kills her, or 3. you lean down to kill her but Bajsaljen tells you to stop because she is already dead (retroactive continuity because in the other instances she apparently lived long enough for Bajsaljen to kill her, whereas here she either inexplicably dies sooner or Bajsaljien is lying). In all three cases you're never allowed to kill her yourself and Bajsaljen always steals the moment from you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Moofia Boss Val posted:

The whole "your choices matter" warning was a lot of hullabaloo over nothing. Either 1. (asked Bajsaljen earlier to spare Misija, tried to kill Misija yourself) Bajsaljen takes the knife out of your hand and kills her, 2. you give the knife to Bajsaljen and he kills her, or 3. you lean down to kill her but Bajsaljen tells you to stop because she is already dead (retroactive continuity because in the other instances she apparently lived long enough for Bajsaljen to kill her, whereas here she either inexplicably dies sooner or Bajsaljien is lying). In all three cases you're never allowed to kill her yourself and Bajsaljen always steals the moment from you.

I would actually say it's fairly plausible that the divide happens how it does, in a few possible ways:
-Bajsaljen might've just made her die like, two seconds earlier.
-Since she dies herself after you say she should be put to death, it's possible they were taking worse care of her, and so she passes slightly earlier.
-I haven't seen that iteration of the scene, do we know if Bajsaljen stabs her while she's definitely alive? He might've just decided to stab a dead body, probably for catharsis.

Even with that, though, it's possible these choices are actually going to come back even later. The end of Bozja's full of little sequel hooks, so it's entirely possible they're planning further ahead than just this patch.