Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

armor looks... not bad! imo at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know I made the joke that Halo 4 and 5's armor looks like it came out of Mass Effect a couple weeks ago, but that one front and center is just straight up N7 colors.

I'm happy they're going back to actual visors again rather than whatever the hell was going on with 4 and 5 helmets trying to crush their user's heads.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I wanna know the tragic backstory behind the spaceman's one red arm

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Abroham Lincoln posted:

He stole it from some rear end in a top hat in Afghanistan

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Abroham Lincoln posted:

It’s fake Bungie took the real one with them when they left

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Arcsquad12 posted:

So it looks like team colors might be removed from Halo Infinite team multi.

That's how Destiny does it, although I personally find myself missing the red vs blue.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Space truck'n

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
iirc I was dumb enough to think halo 4's multi looked alright in initial vids so I dunno what to make about being sort of into this? I like the armours this time around at least. Was that the OG halo presenter guy they had? He works for 343 now I guess?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

For all the vehicle focus the ad has you know none of the competitive maps will have them because it makes battle rifles less optimal.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tighclops posted:

iirc I was dumb enough to think halo 4's multi looked alright in initial vids so I dunno what to make about being sort of into this? I like the armours this time around at least. Was that the OG halo presenter guy they had? He works for 343 now I guess?
Joe Staten, yeah. For the past while he's been a Senior Creative Director for Xbox's publishing efforts in general, which basically seems to mean he goes from game to game helping shepherd them out the door. And if ever a series needs help getting games out the door, it's this one. Seriously, has there ever been a Halo game which didn't have a nightmarish dev cycle?

He's now specifically Head of Creative on Infinite, and apparently in charge of getting the Campaign out into the world. I suspect he'll go back to roaming from studio to studio shortly after it's released.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
My opinion on Halo 5 has done a 120 since I moved up to Legendary.

It's not quite a full 180 because the game still has a few problems but the core gameplay loop is, actually, really good. The features ported over from Republic Commando add a lot to the experience when you're forced to engage with them instead of playing BR Simulator 2015 on Heroic. The game is strikingly better when you have to actually focus on enemy weakpoints and use terrain instead of just br br br headshot repeat.

One of the big Fun Breakthroughs was realizing you can order your squadmates to pick up weapons lying around. I had assumed you had to give them guns the way you could in previous Halos, which doesn't work; but instead you just look at guns and hit up on the d-pad. The feature's a little half-assed but it still makes a huge difference. Upgrading your semi-useful squadmates to a battery of binary rifles or incineration cannons really helps. They're not quite up to the standards of Halo 3 Fuel Rod Party Hog but they're working on it.

I'm also guardedly impressed by their AI. They don't...really do very well on the attack, but they get kills now and then and draw fire. More importantly, they're quite good at pathing to you when you're downed so they can clutch revive you! Making your squadmates into one-ups to keep you alive during very hard fights gives the player a ludic reason to care about them, which is nice.

The weapon balance is also very good...maybe too good. Everything's been accurized to deal with the longer engagement ranges and wider battlefields. The Promethean weapons all got reworked and now only the scattershot is garbage. The suppressor, AR, and storm rifle moved up from trash to solid. The plasma pistol is almost as good as it was in Halo CE, except that it sounds like poo poo. I kind of get the vibe everything is too accurate and powerful: there's very little melee play because you're almost always better off gunning stuff down at long range. I don't know why Halo devs constantly forget that one of the best parts of Halo CE was playing footsie with AI who had strongly telegraphed melee attacks. (And what happened to grenade chains, anyway???)

Is clambering still in Infinite? I can do without the thruster stuff but man I would be sad to lose clambering/mantling/whatever they call it.

As for the story...I'm torn on it. I think that if Infinite does something interesting with what H5 set up then H5 will eventually be rehabilitated and remembered as a decent game. If Infinite tries to bury H5 under the kitty litter then it'll just be a huge waste of a lot of peoples' effort. Which is a shame, because the game just sweats effort. The presentation is slick, there's a ton of mood and ambience, there's some decent dialogue as long as you're away from the Osiris cops, there's a real commitment to putting the lore and characters of the Halo universe onscreen in a way I doubt we'll ever see again. Do I think Infinite is going to talk about Blue Team, or the Arbiter, or the Domain, or the Mantle of Responsibility? gently caress no. All that nerd poo poo is going back to the books.

I'm playing on Xbox Series S (good luck finding an xbox sex for less than a grand) and the game sometimes looks fantastic and sometimes looks awful. NPC animations often drop to 30 fps, which looks jank as hell and reminds me of the lovely 2D impostering that Reach would use for stuff really far away. A few of the skyboxes are also embarrassingly low-res.

The Warden Eternal sucks but I see what they were going for. He has a lot of combat dialogue and a bunch of different attacks. They should've dropped his health and lethality and just used him as an elite mob, like Harbinger in ME2. Which, again is what they were going for, but he's got too many bullshit one-hits and he's far too hard to kill.

I'd like to play this game coop sometime.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 14, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The few times I did play Halo 5 on a friend's Xbone I felt like the effort they put in was more excess than anything else. I didn't mind the Blue Team stuff but Osiris and the Elites battling the Covenant felt really unfocused and a bit too wrapped up in worldbuilding to properly tell a story.

Also the music was really grating unless you enjoy every track having string instruments playing at 120bpm. It's weird too because Kazuma Jinnouchi's work as the secondary composer on Halo 4 is fantastic and his version of Unforgotten / Never Forget is probably the best version of the tune in the entire franchise. His Halo 5 work reminds me of Hiroyuki Sawano who has a similar problem of burying incredibly strong melodies under a mountain of layers that don't allow the main themes to express themselves.

I do hope that Infinite doesn't get bogged down trying to resolve multiple story threads. The throughline for the new games should be on Cortana and Chief's relationship and the new trailer gives me hope that Chief and the new AI's efforts to stop/save Cortana are going to be front and center. I'm happy to see the Banished because they're fun enemies in Halo Wars 2 but I'm worried that they'll get too caught up in trying to resolve Halo Wars plotlines since it's unlikely we're getting a Halo Wars 3.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 14, 2021

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
More Halo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7dRXjG_Yw0

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This all looks…. Really loving good?

Like holy poo poo that day 1 customization seems…. Unheard of this day and age.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"Battle pass"

gently caress you

Rest is fine though

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Seems they were pretty forward saying battlepass is solely customization so okay.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Thom12255 posted:

Seems they were pretty forward saying battlepass is solely customization so okay.

They also not expire and you can buy old ones. It’s about as good a battle pass can be in addition to the in-game challenges and unblockables.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Yay Halo bots.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They also not expire and you can buy old ones. It’s about as good a battle pass can be in addition to the in-game challenges and unblockables.

Sounds like what they've been doing with the MCC then. I assume it'll have some paid part though, since MP is free to play.

Should say that I'm not watching this stream, I'm working right now so I can't. Sorry if they covered that stuff.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It looks .. good? fine?

When I was younger I always hoped to play Halo multiplayer with allied NPC marines and enemy NPC elites or whatever running around, like in Titanfall.

One day....

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Basically, it looks like the Halo Infinite which was meant to come out in 2018/9.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

jokes posted:

It looks .. good? fine?

When I was younger I always hoped to play Halo multiplayer with allied NPC marines and enemy NPC elites or whatever running around, like in Titanfall.

One day....

That was Halo 5 Warzone. Kinda sad that's not coming back.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Any word on firefight returning?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

God I hope so. I love reach firefight.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm torn if I like ODST or Reach Firefight better. I like Halo 3 gameplay more than Reach gameplay but the Black Eye Skull is an absolute bastard in ODST firefight because it always comes during the third round where you get blitzed by dozens of drones who are all hard as poo poo to hit with melee.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Arcsquad12 posted:

So it looks like team colors might be removed from Halo Infinite team multi.

That's lame, I really prefer the classic red and blue. Makes sense though, most games are team based and there's no reason to buy the armour colour cosmetics if they get overridden in every match.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
disappoint that theres nothing shown about arena mode

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Arcsquad12 posted:

it's unlikely we're getting a Halo Wars 3.

One time I I had an opportunity to talk to Bonnie Ross around when Halo Wars 1 came out and utterly flopped, though I really liked it. She told me that they would absolutely never do another one. I had a good laugh when Halo Wars 2 was announced.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is what sold me on the game

I hate FOMO bullshit

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also if someone wants to make a new halo thread thats cool

when I made this thread things got absolutely insane at work

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

"Battle pass"

gently caress you

Rest is fine though

battle pass means i get new maps for free and armor shader fomo freakazoids foot the bill. what's not to love?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

eonwe posted:

also if someone wants to make a new halo thread thats cool

when I made this thread things got absolutely insane at work

We still don't have a hard release date for Infinite so no rush

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

The game...

looks good

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Which halo would yall recommend in multiplayer for the most fun currently? Preferably one of the more recent ones

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Halo 3 is probably the most populated although personally I find Reach more fun. Sticking people and armor locking in their face never gets old.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Shiroc posted:

One time I I had an opportunity to talk to Bonnie Ross around when Halo Wars 1 came out and utterly flopped, though I really liked it. She told me that they would absolutely never do another one. I had a good laugh when Halo Wars 2 was announced.

The head of Xbox really likes RTS games so I think that was one of those "I don't care if it flops" type of things. I wouldn't rule out a Halo Wars 3 sometime or another type of spin-off such as a Halo game that plays like XCOM. They already did that successfully with Gears Tactics and over recent years Microsoft has been buying RTS/RPG developers to pad out their studios. Given Halo Infinite multiplayer seems like the foundation of something built to last and I can't see 343 rushing into another Halo singleplayer title any time soon, I imagine Microsoft will probably experiment with more Halo spin-offs in the future. A Halo Wars or Halo Tactics game doesn't seem too far fetched.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm guessing it's not going to be there at launch because if it was they would have shown it for all the extra hype it would cause.

It was missing from Halo 4 but they did add firefight to Halo 5 in a big update and boosted it up to 8 player co-op and used the warzone maps so things got really chaotic. I imagine it's a mode that's on their post-launch support roadmap? They probably want to get more maps out for the first year or so and then we might see it after the map list has been fleshed out? The community will keep asking until it's implemented so I think it will be coming one way or another.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

SUNKOS posted:

The head of Xbox really likes RTS games so I think that was one of those "I don't care if it flops" type of things. I wouldn't rule out a Halo Wars 3 sometime or another type of spin-off such as a Halo game that plays like XCOM. They already did that successfully with Gears Tactics and over recent years Microsoft has been buying RTS/RPG developers to pad out their studios. Given Halo Infinite multiplayer seems like the foundation of something built to last and I can't see 343 rushing into another Halo singleplayer title any time soon, I imagine Microsoft will probably experiment with more Halo spin-offs in the future. A Halo Wars or Halo Tactics game doesn't seem too far fetched.

When I talked to her would have been when Mattrick was still in charge. It makes sense that if Spencer likes RTS games and the amount of time that they might have had another go at it. I really liked Halo Wars and was bummed that the online population for it died so quickly. I just remember the conversation because she was so direct on that it did bad and they had no intention to revisit the idea.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

eonwe posted:

Which halo would yall recommend in multiplayer for the most fun currently? Preferably one of the more recent ones

Halo 3 is the most popular one on the MCC collection right now. It's not perfect but the hit detection and latency issues are far less broken nowadays than they were last year. It's the mode that has received the most updates on MCC especially with regards to cosmetics. The Asian market Halo Online (which used 3 as a base) had the armor pieces from Halo 4 backported to Halo 3 and 343 added them into MCC along with the ODST armors from the Fireteam Raven arcade game.

No sprint, no ordnance or loadout nonsense less less punishing than Halo 2 and mostly good MP maps. It's fun.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
comparison between shots from last year and this year

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/nzpc6z/halo_infinite_assault_rifle_2020_vs_2021/

delay was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
How smooth are the Brutes?