Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Encyclopedia is a Teen Detective on the Edge. Just about to go absolutely apeshit because of this kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Just want to acknowledge the pretty solid gag on this first one!

As for the second one...oof. I haven’t thought about it in like 15 years, but the way they were treated in the media was truly gross. Even I, a staunch feminist for as long as I can remember, made more than a few misogynist jokes at their expense and thought jokes like this were funny. The way we as a culture treated young women (see: Britney et al) in the aughts was so so cruel and disgusting.

I mean, it still is, but more so then. Like someone else mentioned when going back to the archives, all the casual slurs, rape jokes, and slut-shaming from that era is jarring to see through 2021 eyes.

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Wallace: wonderful as always.
Curtis: eating Mary Worth’s beige lumps.

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 14, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

I wonder if Jules is a Rip Haywire fan.

Mary Worth

Here's hoping we're in for a series of Drew's exes showing up and then mysteriously being murdered.

The Phantom

That's a pretty nice first panel.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (December 11, 1993)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin Winter

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
good thing we have whimsical finland to offset bleak finland

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

LazyQ posted:

Oof.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Old Man Mozz, still high as a kite.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Here's hoping we're in for a series of Drew's exes showing up and then mysteriously being murdered.

Wowwww, that chipped plaster outside and No Smoking sign inside sure are some classist signaling. I honestly kinda think that Shauna showed up so she could have her sexually-transmitted virus diagnosed and Jeff learns he has it too because contact with Bad Women will ruin your life.

quote:

The Phantom

drat, that’s a fine ascetic wise man.

LazyQ posted:

Oh this poor kid, feeling the weight of the world on his little shoulders :( When I was in elementary school I remember that we only learned about climate change (then referred to as global warming) from a bummer of an article about polar bears in NatGeo Kids. In recent years, several of my parent friends have confided in me that their children have come home from school crying because they love animals and their teachers (rightly!) have educated them about the upcoming human-made mass extinction.

Classic Zits

Ah, the late ‘90s. Specifically when parental fears transitioned from Satanists to “superpredators.”

Still working on editing my Sylvia scans, so for now, have Barbara Ehrenreich’s extremely satirical foreword:

Barbara Ehrenreich posted:

First of all, it is not true that I am jealous of Sylvia. There’s room for all kinds in the social commentary business — my aunt in Iowa, for example, who covered the entire S&L crisis from her ironing board and still managed to get a high-fiber meal on the table every evening before “Jeopardy” (ed note: this collection was published in 1990). I am sure Sylvia could cook if she wanted to, and I never once suggested that there was something untoward about her rapid rise to fame — her spot in forty-five newspapers (very few of which are mimeographed)(ed: yep, sure is 1990), her cult following of millions (many of whom are able to follow complex ideas even without visual aids). It certainly wasn’t me who hinted darkly that no one could be so phenomenally successful if they didn’t have friends in very, very, high places.

No, it must have been George Will who said those things. And what working commentator can confront Sylvia’s range of subject matter — from macroeconomics to stretch marks, from foreign policy to kitty litter — without gnawing anxiously on his or her writing instrument — pencil or personal computer, as the case may be? We leave aside the startling range of media — taped phone messages (ed: lol), letters of advice, bathtub monologues, science fiction — that Sylvia deploys with such ease and versatility. I could write on my refrigerator too. I just don’t choose to.

Nor does it bother me that America’s top-flight intellectuals will one day hold entire conferences and seminars devoted to Sylviology. That they will deconstruct her frame by frame with straight edge and compass, attempting to identify each tiny object as an Artifact of Our Time (ed: that’s us!) and a clue to our condition. That they will bring in leading neurologists, phrenologists, and psychoanalysts to study the blabbermouth pets, the thimble-sized martinis, the neurotic superheroes, to answer the inescapable question: What kind of a mind...?

But with that out of the way, let me make it clear that I have not gone to the other extreme and accepted Sylvia as my personal guru and mentor. Many, many women have (ed: especially my mom). That’s their choice. I will admit, though, that like Sylvia, I have a problem with food stains (which is why I never buy a shirt that isn’t the color of marinara sauce). And, yes, I too am standing by encouragingly, waiting for some household pet, some goldfish, perhaps, or gerbil, to vacuum the floors. But these are superficial similarities, widespread across the population, and hardly the result of conscious imitation.

The fact is that I have criticisms. I maintain a boundary. I say, How is it possible to totally admire and worship someone who is afraid of food and a fool for cats (ed: see most of the internet)?The reason cats are so smug is that they have a plan for world domination — a plan which, as the pages ahead suggest, may already be in effect.

Now, of course there are commentators — very famous and important ones whose names I could drop if I wanted to — who are jealous of Sylvia. I have witnessed the great weeping and grinding of teeth that occurs in the National Press Club and the Corridors of Power whenever a new “Sylvia” hits the news stands. These famous and important commentators complain that she has sources that are inaccessible to the average working journalist. They point to her obvious familiarity with the heavenly host, the Evil One, with winged superheroes and extra planetary deadbeats. They mention her supernatural insight into matters of public policy, her ability to see, as with X-ray vision, through the stupefying drone of media rhetoric.

For all we know — let us be honest — that there is a Planet Sylvia. We know that it is a place where cats can write passable fiction (ed: suck it, Snoopy!), where women are free to go out of doors without eyeliner and eat large portions of fries in public. We know that this distant world is the true source of Sylvia’s insights, and that it is a place where one’s wildest dreams — as for a tasty diet beverage or a race of humble, kindly public officials — are readily realized. We know that it is terribly far away, but not so far that every detail on earth cannot be seen from it, with stunning clarity and perspective. And we know that its atmosphere is not only breathable, but induces a delirious sense of lucidity, unknown on our own dank orb (ed: dank orbs, nice), except to the mystically enlightened and abusers of nitrous oxide (ed: :wom:).

So go there if you want. I don’t care. Just one warning (and if Sylvia had the least sense of social responsibility she would have told you this herself): Once you’ve been there, it’s not that easy to get back to this wretched place, or to ever fit in again with the yuppies (ed: 1990), the health snobs, the couch potatoes, the two-faced insurance executives and purveyors of military hardware. Unless you take the cats’ advice, as they prepare to send the little lost girl back to the world of humans, and — pointing to a UFO in the sky — tell her, “Pretend you didn’t see it.”

So here you have it. This foreword is a fitting introduction to Sylvia: a bit much, definitely a product of its time, and monkeycheese to a certain extent; but also honest, delightfully strange, and an excellent expression of the best parts of what was then “new wave feminism.” I’m really excited to share this with you all, and I hope you enjoy it!

I leave you with this:

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 14, 2021

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

SubNat posted:

Moomin Winter

I see Gyro Gearloose stole Kertalaaki™ formula from Moomins.

[...]
[...]
[...]

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Wine Club For Men

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Donald Duck is going to create the mother of all volcano eruptions

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EBB posted:

Wine Club For Men

It is one of my absolute favorite things in the entire strip. I once asked Allison to make Tackleford Wine Club for Men shirts on social media and he let me know that, sadly, the days of webcomic artists supporting themselves with T-shirts was over.

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Also this rings so true to my upbringing. And in MY day, we didn't have cellular telephones!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (November 3, 1933)

Peanuts (June 17, 1974)

COVID Winkerplague

Crankshaft

If you haven't picked up a dead-tree paper in awhile, they're getting a little more ruthless than cutting home delivery. My hometown rag dropped its Monday edition entirely, because that was the biggest money loser. Do what you can to stay alive, I guess.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (January 13, 1938)

Out Our Way (October 22-24, 1936; spoilers for the usual reason)

Toonerville Folks (September 27-29, 1917)

Dok's "Overland Route" Duck (August 24, 1913; campesino stereotype spoilered out of an abundance of caution)

Little Lefty (December 3-5, 1934)

If your memories of the USSR (assuming you have any) threw up an alert when you saw "Pioneer gals", you should know that the CUSA actually had a Young Pioneers of America from 1922-1934. They sponsored 30 summer camps at their peak, five in New York alone.

Blondie From Zero (September 22-24, 1930)

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Johnny Walker posted:

The Phantom

There's something about that look in his eyes...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EasyEW posted:

Comic Strips 2021: You talk like a piece of cheese

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pancho Jueves posted:

:fireman:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

EasyEW posted:

COVID Winkerplague

The other AA members look so loving done with Funky making these meetings all about himself.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Pancho Jueves posted:

Mike Pipper sure didn't age well...

EasyEW posted:

I'm digging vintage Blondie taking the piss out of Dagwood's insanely rich parents.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Kennel posted:

I see Gyro Gearloose stole Kertalaaki™ formula from Moomins.

[...]
[...]
[...]

God, those stories were great. It was always a treat when some Don Rosa story popped up in the weekly Donald Duck comic.
I really need to get around to getting some of the Don Rosa collections.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Vintage Blondie rules.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Pancho Jueves posted:

I spent way too long watching this to see if it blinked before checking the extension :sigh:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

SubNat posted:

God, those stories were great. It was always a treat when some Don Rosa story popped up in the weekly Donald Duck comic.
I really need to get around to getting some of the Don Rosa collections.

I liked the OSO Safe

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (June 26, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (August 9, 1918)

Banana Oil! (April 26, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (July 31, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (January 1, 1936)

Mopsy (March 2, 1937)

Dark Laughter (April 20, 1946)

Those Were the Days (October 22, 1953)

Wee Pals (September 21, 1965)

Dogbert December 29, 1965

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (October 22, 1953)

Zagreb ebnom zlotdik diev!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (August 9, 1918)

True has some impressive dedication to road rage.

quote:

It's weirdly comforting knowing this genre of used car salesman was a cliche even back in 1953.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Dad is right because the tines are what you put in your mouth, and not having them against the plastic grating means that there’s more surface area exposed to the hot water and soap and rinsing agent :colbert:
I would agree with this but ...

howe_sam posted:

My parents have a dishwasher which neatly sidesteps this conundrum by having a third rack where you lay the silverware down on its side.
:same:

B Kliban

Ever watch the sunset ... stoned?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set makes a good first impression.

Working Daze gets political.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix knows that old trick.

Cul De Sac should have planned ahead.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EasyEW posted:

COVID Winkerplague

Stephen Bochco didn't write this much about alcoholism

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

For God's sake, Lynn, she is a baby.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

I think what gets me about Foob for strips like this is that if you changed her expression in the last two panels it's be a good strip. Less glare and more just fatigue, a bit of a smile in the last panel, and it'd be charming.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Julet Esqu posted:

For God's sake, Lynn, she is a baby.

:lol: that's all I got, Luann made me laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons