Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It's just a modest proposal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kavak posted:

We can make this work for us November after next: Bring proof you voted Democratic, you get The Pass until the next congressional term.

Joe Biden please stop posting

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

sexpig by night posted:

Joe Biden please stop posting
I mean he's clearly Bill Maher

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Interesting, everyone seems to agree Eminem just ate up his market share. This is from a Mad Magazine from around the same time.

Inaccurate. Manson only strangles women.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh, wow, I'm way too high to get into everything wrong with that.

i'm sure giving people the right to fling slurs at people with zero consequences for voting for a slightly nicer flavor of imperialist machine monster-men is fine

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Froghammer posted:

I mean he's clearly Bill Maher

https://twitter.com/AdamFriedland/status/871050675383410688?s=20

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Oh my god I never realized that Paul Rust's New No-Nos were based on an actual thing.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I support the right of creators to sell off their IPs but Jesus loving christ S John Ross, venger?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

He sold his stuff to a company that refurbishes grocery stores?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
He sold Encounter Critical to the transphobic piece of poo poo who casts spells on his posting enemies.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
lol Ross' Twitter has a rainbow av for pride

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

God drat, really? That sucks real hard.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Also venger was very recently posting his little heart out with white nationalist talking points over Ken st andre.

Maybe a bad time to make a deal??

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Clearly Venger must have threatened to cast a spell to make his dick fall off if he didn't sell him the company, so we have no right to call him a hypocritical prick.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Can't wait for the promised kickstarter.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
At first I thought you must have been mistaken, because he just sold his Risus properties to someone I didn't think was a chud, and overall he seemed a reasonable guy. But nope, not only did he do this, he tweeted this out the most obnoxious way possible.

https://twitter.com/SJohnRoss/status/1404770841628381185

Venger's gloating, of course.

Don't trust anyone in the industry over 30, I guess. :smith:

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Who are Hank and Jim?

Also, what's to sell with Risus? It's a 6-page microgame with a 64-page supplement.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Zurui posted:

Who are Hank and Jim?

Also, what's to sell with Risus? It's a 6-page microgame with a 64-page supplement.

Apparently there's some IP tied up with it. He posted about it on his blog.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Welp guess I'm screwed. Pack it up boys, kickstarter's cancelled.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Oh, no, goons and goon projects are inherently trustworthy. You're fine!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Frozen Peach posted:

Welp guess I'm screwed. Pack it up boys, kickstarter's cancelled.

I'm almost 40 myself. :smithicide:

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm almost 40 myself. :smithicide:

Same. It's devastating.

Meanwhile I'm 7 days out from officially "being in the industry" and it's freaking me out.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Venger's gloating, of course.

"I make people's skin crawl" is a weird flex.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Darren trying to corner the market on "old fashioned curiosities which are not particularly good," I see.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Can someone explain that stained glass poo poo?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Venger is the walking "You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same" t-shirt of the gaming industry.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Zurui posted:

Who are Hank and Jim?

At first I thought he meant Hank Hill, and I doubt it but now I'm distracted thinking about Hank at the game store :allears:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ettin posted:

At first I thought he meant Hank Hill, and I doubt it but now I'm distracted thinking about Hank at the game store :allears:

"Do I look like the kind of guy who knows what an Eldar is?"

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

"Do you have these miniatures in inches instead of millimeters?"

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Now I wish there was an ep where Peggy got really into 40K.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Ettin posted:

we already did king of the hill gaming and it resulted in this which is all we need

Haystack posted:

Cotton as a historical wargamer who hates RPGs with a passion. Ostensibly it's because it corrupted a real man's hobby with all this froofy elf horseshit, but the episode reveals that it's actually due to a petty personal fight with Greg Stafford at Gencon '79.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Spring loaded talking points are a difficult phenomenon to react to. You just aren't ever ready to properly react to the four or five things person x is really mad about and seethes about evrry day.
If I manage to see where they're going early enough and it's something I'm familiar with it's fun to go "Oh wait I've heard about this! A bunch of crazy people on the internet-" and then make all their arguments while rolling your eyes and making exaggerated "Can you believe it???" facial expressions, like they were also making fun of them and we're having a good time laughing about those crazy internet people.

What's helpful is that I also do this a lot by accident.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Haystack posted:

Cotton as a historical wargamer who hates RPGs with a passion. Ostensibly it's because it corrupted a real man's hobby with all this froofy elf horseshit, but the episode reveals that it's actually due to a petty personal fight with Greg Stafford at Gencon '79.
Venger Satanis has purchased the rights to Blackmoor. Cotton will now be known as the Eg'g of Co'ot.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I support the right of creators to sell off their IPs but Jesus loving christ S John Ross, venger?

About 5-6 years ago, Paul Czege (creator of My Life With Master, other games, general Forge darling) ran the Threeforged Design Challenge on G+. The idea was that you had a week (I think? Maybe a month?) to write 'some of an RPG' -- a setting, a mechanic, a bunch of disconnected parts, whatever -- and then these were anonymised and randomised and handed out to other people who had a week to build on whatever they got, and then those were randomised and handed out to third people who had to finish things off as best they could. It was a great idea, good fun to participate in, and attracted about 60-odd designers including Vincent Baker, Mina McJanda (before she got big), me, assorted other folk -- and S John Ross.

Anyway, come the second round S John gets his thing. He posts that it sucks, that he's going to have to do a huge amount of work to redeem it, and that it's "not a roleplaying game". Somebody asks him in the comments what he means by that, how he defines an RPG, and his response was (direct quote):

"Duh. Have someone smarter than you read my FAQ to you."

And I thought 'well, he's a jackass' and kind of wrote him off in my head.

Anyway, fast forward to the end of the thing. Turns out S John had bailed on both his second and third round contributions, torpedoing the work of the three other people involved, and then proceeded to write a blog post about how doing this was Good, Actually. (I didn't read it so I have no idea what his justification was.)

Oh, and then when people were reading and judging/talking about the final games he got lovely about 'none of these are real RPGs' again.

Anyway, that's my S John Ross story. Man's a self-absorbed tool and has been for a long time.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Thank you for posting your lovely John Ross story. Kind of a dick!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

potatocubed posted:

About 5-6 years ago, Paul Czege (creator of My Life With Master, other games, general Forge darling) ran the Threeforged Design Challenge on G+. The idea was that you had a week (I think? Maybe a month?) to write 'some of an RPG' -- a setting, a mechanic, a bunch of disconnected parts, whatever -- and then these were anonymised and randomised and handed out to other people who had a week to build on whatever they got, and then those were randomised and handed out to third people who had to finish things off as best they could.

Somewhat off-topic for S. John Ross chat (although, hoo boy, dude sounds like a dick), but this contest sounds really fun, and I'm tempted to try and run it here (or get someone else to so I can participate).

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

hell yeah dude

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Splicer posted:

If I manage to see where they're going early enough and it's something I'm familiar with it's fun to go "Oh wait I've heard about this! A bunch of crazy people on the internet-" and then make all their arguments while rolling your eyes and making exaggerated "Can you believe it???" facial expressions, like they were also making fun of them and we're having a good time laughing about those crazy internet people.

What's helpful is that I also do this a lot by accident.

the last time someone started whining at me about the last jedi I interrupted him with "I don't watch children's movies" and started talking louder than him to ask the cashier about ordering some paint

completely deflated. nerds have no spine

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Antivehicular posted:

Somewhat off-topic for S. John Ross chat (although, hoo boy, dude sounds like a dick), but this contest sounds really fun, and I'm tempted to try and run it here (or get someone else to so I can participate).
I dunno if it'll help, but there were a few similar game jams over the past couple years you could check over for parts:
  • Three Forged Jam 2019, basically a re-run of the original by a different person.
  • Refraction Jam (2020-2021), a 2-step version where people could choose which game to build on in step 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Nearly a week old but didn't see it posted. Daniel Fox of the Zweihander RPG bragging about taking down a notable tabletop piracy site and talking about informed consumer purchases:

https://twitter.com/ZweihanderRPG/status/1405899337255821316

Daniel Fox posted:

Most publishers offer free PDF previews on DriveThruRPG, typically the first 25-50 pages of the book.

Maybe it's the PDF previews I check out, but you're lucky to get more than a dozen pages in most sourcebooks.