Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Infinitum posted:

:hmmyes:

Isn't one of the legit reasons Kiryu won't appear in Smash is because his design documents state he can never beat up a woman?

I dunno why they’d get hung up on that, Kiryu and Ichiban both had no qualms beating up a room of babies in a nursery.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jun 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Majima and Ichiban can beat up whomsoever they wish.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

All of them from the Yakuza games. :hai:

15 of them are just Majima in different 'disguises.'

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As long as Yakuza 8 isn't switch exclusive Im fine

Orv
May 4, 2011

Barudak posted:

As long as Yakuza 8 isn't switch exclusive Im fine

Permanent Ouya exclusive.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
CHAOS has suffered a setback - they finally fixed the Stranger of Paradise demo

watching footage and the gameplay looks pretty decent and seems to deliver on Final Fantasy-themed Nioh so now i'm quite excited for this stupid game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Orv posted:

Permanent Ouya exclusive.

Gonna need that ouya gif of a person puking from their advertisement to respond appropriately to this

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Isn't one of the legit reasons Kiryu won't appear in Smash is because his design documents state he can never beat up a woman?

I thoguht it was the fact that Yakuza has (actual) ties to the Yakuza.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If they announced Waluigi for Smash they'd automatically win E3 for me.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

fennesz posted:

I just googled Rune Factory to see what you all were talking about. Jesus Christ, who looks forward to this poo poo? We already had 3 pressers with generic JRPG's already.

i hope this direct is nothing but jrpgs just as punishment for this terrible post

edit: actually i hope that anyway

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Mix. posted:

cant wait for the smtv protagonist to get put in and people get mad because joker exists despite joker and smt protagonists being two very drastically different archetypes

I'd be fine with replacing Joker

lih
May 15, 2013

a guy who reliably leaked most Smash Bros. stuff has teased the Smash character reveal and two game announcements for the Nintendo direct

Master Chief in Smash
new 2D Metroid from MercurySteam
new Donkey Kong game

only the Smash character is really a surprise out of those, the two game have been heavily heavily rumoured for a while now

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I swear anyone letting Mercury Stream still make things is a testament to god's death

lih
May 15, 2013

Samus Returns was ok

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Barudak posted:

I swear anyone letting Mercury Stream still make things is a testament to god's death

Wasn't Samus Returns generally well received? :thunk:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I thought Samus Returns looked hideous but mostly because every 3DS game looks hideous, so I'd be willing to give their attempt on Switch a shot.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SR has its issues but I'll certainly take more of that over the nothing we'd be getting otherwise, especially on the 2D front.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

lih posted:

Reimu in Smash

cool, im glad zun sign off

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Every part that was Mercury Steams doing and not just copying the original game ranged from "pointless" to "dreafully bad". They get a pass on the map, though.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Infinitum posted:

The only thing it had against it was that it ended up competing with the passionate fan project AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake), which was in the works for like a decade and had a lot of hype behind it. Most die-hard Metroid fans prefer AM2R because it's a lot closer to Super Metroid/Zero Mission then SR.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I have to drive to a birthday party during the nintendo e3 conference. It's nice to go to a birthday party after 18 months of COVID poo poo but I'm also like... man I'm missing the one e3 presentation I actually think will be ok

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Samus Returns was fun. the problems with it stem not even from mercurysteam or the remake itself but that it's based on the framework of Metroid 2, so there is pretty repetitive gameplay in fighting the metroids

there were sometimes incongruous color choices when it came to the environments but it's something that would've looked better at a higher resolution. and mercurysteam did a good job modernizing the map. especially considering they've not done an amazing job on metroidy maps in the past, MIRROR OF FATE i'm looking at you!!

the main thing is that if it's a 2D metroid there is LESS of a (but still a non-zero percent) chance that Sakamoto gets to write his preferred vision of vulnerable scared adam-praising samus. i know everyone's looking forward to metroid prime 4, but i'm telling you, sakamoto is the monkey's paw there, there's no way he doesn't retrofit Prime with his waifu version of samus

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Many of the games we have seen will never be released.

The E3 is to get hyped and celebrate videogames.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sakamoto was producer on Samus Returns and afaik hasn't touched any of the Prime games :confused:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

samus returns was a remake for the 3DS tho, i wouldn't expect it to have cinematic talking cutscenes and the original game didn't have any lore beyond... go hunt the metroids

you go back to metroid fusion on GBA with the text dumps and you see the beginnings of the change in samus there

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So has anything major been announced, or have we run out of video games?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

SirPhoebos posted:

we run out of video games

:cheers:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The last video game is in early access. The galaxy is at peace.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
All of our lives would be better if video games simply run out and we all have to go outside.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

starfield is just going to be the exact same game as the outer worlds but with even worse humor, and HATE NEWSPAPERS dialogue choices

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

The 7th Guest posted:

samus returns was a remake for the 3DS tho, i wouldn't expect it to have cinematic talking cutscenes and the original game didn't have any lore beyond... go hunt the metroids

you go back to metroid fusion on GBA with the text dumps and you see the beginnings of the change in samus there

Fusion is probably the most linear Metroid game still out there*, but it kind of had to be to nail the atmosphere and story they were going for. Whether or not it was worth it is up to you, but I gotta say after 20 some years or whatever since Fusion came out, I still remember the very first time I ran into an SA-X and nearly poo poo myself. Not to mention Nightmare.

(*I know his is actually Other M but I really don't admitting Other M exists)

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Nintendo japan published a noted to ban mirror re-streaming their direct for japanese people.

https://www.dualshockers.com/nintendo-direct-stream-ban-explained/

lih
May 15, 2013

Samus Returns was just ok. It was never bad or anything, just not a standout in the genre in the way that Super Metroid is. I'm not optimistic that the rumoured new Metroid from them will be amazing or anything in the way you'd want a Metroid game to be, but it's still certainly better than nothing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I never played Returns but I just finished Fusion and Zero Mission and liked them a lot.

Short but sweet GBA metroidvania action.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Oh yeah, I forgot about that new DK game rumor. Huh.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Infinitum posted:

I swear I remember reading that the creator of Yakuza would like Kiryu in Smash, but Nintendo just never approached them.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Kiryu is such a natural fit for Smash or Tekken idk what Harada/Sakurai are thinking

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Help Im Alive posted:

Kiryu is such a natural fit for Smash or Tekken idk what Harada/Sakurai are thinking
There's a lot of amazing natural fits for Smash that have been passed up. Really makes me hope they blow our socks off and reveal a third pass, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Gotta say though, really hate the buzzkills that try to tell people to stop hoping for big things and calling them entitled. E3 is literally there to show off big and exciting projects and generate a ton of hype.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The not wanting Kiryu to beat up women thing seems to be real:

“We get a lot of requests for that,” the Yakuza boss admitted. “Of course, there are exceptions, but fighting games usually have female characters, and I personally don’t really want to see Kiryu hit women.”

Majima would still work since he's a wife beater.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

TheLoneStar posted:

There's a lot of amazing natural fits for Smash that have been passed up. Really makes me hope they blow our socks off and reveal a third pass, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Gotta say though, really hate the buzzkills that try to tell people to stop hoping for big things and calling them entitled. E3 is literally there to show off big and exciting projects and generate a ton of hype.

Well I hate the constant lame chorus of "lol, nothing was even announced, who would even like any of this junk", so I guess we're all having a bad time.