Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

None of those things will ever be the 'n-word' and even she knows it beyond a shadow of a doubt, because she was willing to type them out in full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well they're okay for poly people to say!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I’ll never be as oppressed as a literal slave class which if you don’t think about it is actually much worse than whatever you’re going through.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Well, if Comedy Bang Bang is to be believed, they'll be called "poligs".

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

let's call 'em parrots
poly => polly => polly wants a cracker => parrot

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr. Fix It posted:

let's call 'em parrots
poly => polly => polly wants a cracker => parrot

being called a parrot honestly makes becoming poly more attractive.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Slaves went mainstream? I mean, I guess. It was quite the fad for a while there. It's still pretty mainstream today, just got rebranded.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My girlfriend just found this posted on Tumblr with the caption "Found some kind of guy on Reddit."

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

quote:

Christian atheism is a form of Christianity that rejects theistic claims of Christianity, but draws its beliefs and practices from Jesus' life and/or teachings as recorded in the New Testament Gospels and other sources.

lmao

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Thomas Jefferson was one.

It's viewing Christ as a philosophic figure rather an a religious one. Basically, everything Jesus said about how we should act is correct is the correct moral view, but he wasn't the son of god and god may not exist.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yes I understand, thanks for repeating what I quoted. It's still hilarious they need to rely on it to get to the extremely simple "don't be a lovely person" concept. It's not like anything in the new testement is profound or eye opening.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

It's not like anything in the new testement is profound or eye opening.
2000 years of history in the western world would disagree with you.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Christian Atheist trad-Confucian Taoist. Is this guy like, a trader on the Silk Road trying to keep his trade options open?

Also Anarchist (right) lmao

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I don't know what confucian traditionalism is, but beyond that I don't see a single year their stated beliefs were inherently contradictory more than like 90% of people.

Charting out the list like that is weird, but it's not weird to change your beliefs about all of those issues over time as you gain more life experience, and 12-29 is when the most amount of change will happen.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Yes I understand, thanks for repeating what I quoted. It's still hilarious they need to rely on it to get to the extremely simple "don't be a lovely person" concept. It's not like anything in the new testement is profound or eye opening.

"Don't be a lovely person" means different things based on your beliefs though. Like it doesn't actually describe how you should live. If you genuinely believe in the afterlife and that eternal damnation awaits people who sin in this life, not being lovely could mean depriving people of earthly desires because you're increasing their chances of spending eternity in paradise.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Poops Mcgoots posted:

"Don't be a lovely person" means different things based on your beliefs though. Like it doesn't actually describe how you should live. If you genuinely believe in the afterlife and that eternal damnation awaits people who sin in this life, not being lovely could mean depriving people of earthly desires because you're increasing their chances of spending eternity in paradise.

IE Mother Theresa denying people under her care food, water and medicine.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Poops Mcgoots posted:

The whole point is these christian atheists don't believe in any of that and just use the bible as a source for morality, which it covers on a very basic surface level. Like, I'm really curious as to what someone that specific about their belief systems is gaining from the new testament that isn't covered by more robust and in depth ideologies.

Skwirl posted:

2000 years of history in the western world would disagree with you.

???

Bottom Liner has a new favorite as of 08:10 on Jun 15, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

The whole point is these christian atheists don't believe in any of that and just use the bible as a source for morality, which it covers on a very basic surface level.

I don't think you've actually read the bible or know anything about what Christ actually says in it, I don't blame you, most Christians also haven't. He says way more than "don't be an rear end in a top hat."

quote:

???

Much of Western history has been shaped based on how people interpreted that book or how the people in charge of various countries and militaries were told how they should interpret that book.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

learnincurve posted:

That’s because they often accidentally reflect full spectrum light. If you get a white full spectrum lightbulb then it does help with SAD but you got to stick with it till your brain adjusts.

Another thing we know from light therapy research with people with severe sensory issues is that if humans have a favourite colour then switching the bulb or lampshade to that colour is calming and can help sort out sleep patterns.

The reverse is also true, If you have a colour you hate then if anything in your room is that colour, say bright yellow on a Pokemon poster, your brain can get fixated on it even with the light off because it still knows it’s there and it can cause issues with stress and getting to sleep.

I mean, my favorite colour is red, but I don't think my mood would be improved by lighting my room like a doom level.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, my favorite colour is red, but I don't think my mood would be improved by lighting my room like a doom level.

Beatmasterj would disagree

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Nash076/status/1404679116780081157

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I don't think you've actually read the bible or know anything about what Christ actually says in it, I don't blame you, most Christians also haven't. He says way more than "don't be an rear end in a top hat."

I grew up having to go to church 3 times a week and having to take tests on the bible in a stupid program. I'm familiar with the beatitudes and parables and everything else. If you don't believe any of the deity and afterlife stuff then no, there's almost nothing of substance as far as moral teachings beyond "be a nice person". It's baffling to base your theological beliefs on Christianity if you're an Atheist.

quote:

Much of Western history has been shaped based on how people interpreted that book or how the people in charge of various countries and militaries were told how they should interpret that book.

That doesn't make anything in it profound or eye opening. That makes them all war mongering opportunists.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In rejecting the divinity of Jesus and respecting him as a great prophet, Islam was the original Christian Atheism.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

I grew up having to go to church 3 times a week and having to take tests on the bible in a stupid program. I'm familiar with the beatitudes and parables and everything else. If you don't believe any of the deity and afterlife stuff then no, there's almost nothing of substance as far as moral teachings beyond "be a nice person". It's baffling to base your theological beliefs on Christianity if you're an Atheist.

That doesn't make anything in it profound or eye opening. That makes them all war mongering opportunists.

I don't know this guys deal, it should probably be under a category other than theology if he's following the morality of Christ but doesn't believe in his divinity, or any divinity.

But stuff like turning the other cheek, the good Samaritan story and the Eye of the Needle metaphor go well the gently caress beyond "don't be an rear end in a top hat." The camel through the eye of a needle thing hosed with society's so much they invented weird rear end interpretations of it to try and get around it because it's a truly revolutionary idea that no society has ever embraced but a lot of individuals have.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

What’s weird is the lower rights point only makes sense I’m relation to a very specific relationship and person. He doesn’t have a ideology in any specific sense

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CharlestheHammer posted:

He doesn’t have a ideology in any specific sense

Yeah he does? It's "might makes right".

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tiggum posted:

Yeah he does? It's "might makes right".

Not really? It’s the ideology of his home but he’s more just blindly loyal which is kind of his character arc

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CharlestheHammer posted:

What’s weird is the lower rights point only makes sense I’m relation to a very specific relationship and person. He doesn’t have a ideology in any specific sense
So... the environment is more important than individual rights, but also people should be allowed do whatever thet want. It is our duty to intervene against oppression, but anyone weaker than you is worthless

Splicer has a new favorite as of 09:36 on Jun 15, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Splicer posted:

So... the environment is more important than individual rights, but also people should be allowed do whatever thet want. It is our duty to intervene against oppression, but anyone weaker than you is worthless

I don’t know what this has to do with anything but sure

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Splicer posted:

Maybe I was wrong about you... You're not greedy... YOU'RE BATSHIT INSANE

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

christmas boots posted:

Maybe I was wrong about you... You're not greedy... YOU'RE BATSHIT INSANE

Came up elsewhere, but one of MGR's best moments is when a villain's 'we're not so different, you and I' speech to the hero actually works, and the villain has immediate cause to regret this.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

RFC2324 posted:

dead is the ultimate form of depressed

I found a treatise by Brooks, Nielsen, De Luca, et al. that disputes this.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

posting destiny is kinda cheating, but I'mma do it anyway:
https://twitter.com/TheOmniLiberal/status/1404362094116413441

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t know what this has to do with anything but sure
I'm trying to work out how someone can consider all four of those characters to be right at the same time.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Came up elsewhere, but one of MGR's best moments is when a villain's 'we're not so different, you and I' speech to the hero actually works, and the villain has immediate cause to regret this.

Who's mgr and what Karen was he giving the speech to?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is there a YouTube video of this?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Splicer posted:

I'm trying to work out how someone can consider all four of those characters to be right at the same time.

We live in a racist society that's twice as big as it ought to be and needs to be ruled by superpowered aliens.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

biracial bear for uncut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOF-0iEgbto

It's very satisfying.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

biracial bear for uncut posted:

He's talking about the Monsoon boss fight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOF-0iEgbto
I think this is the same cutscene as "YOUR MEMES END HERE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Splicer posted:

I doubt it's deeper than "I wish everyone but me was dead"