Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
One of the best burgers I ever had used a huge mushroom cap instead of meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The big problem with mushrooms as a meat substitute is that they lack substance. Meat is filling. You can eat a burger and be satisfied. Replace the meat with mushroom and you'll be looking for something else. You won't feel like you've had a full meal.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

FFT posted:

Tiggum

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dip Viscous posted:

One of the best burgers I ever had used a huge mushroom cap instead of meat.

Portabellas rule for that with some balsamic vinaigrette.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I do not like mushrooms, I would be angry if someone slipped me one instead of a proper burger

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Mushrooms are how the earth turns death back into life.

They are not for eating.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mushrooms are delicious but they are not burgers.

That being said, everyone should be free to eat whatever I like.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

Why do people keep trying to defend fake meats by saying they taste exactly the same as lovely fast food? That is not making the point you think it is.

We're not "defending" it, we're attempting to explain the appeal and incredibly annoyed at hearing carnivores go off about how lovely it is. "We should just own it and get some good vegetarian food." It's not a new or insightful opinion, it's as played out as raving about bacon. Sometimes I want a piece of poo poo drowned in ketchup and mustard because I grew up poor in the United States of McDonald's and Prison Food In School, and I don't hate my childhood enough to never be nostalgic. Or maybe I'm just an idiot with bad taste. Either way, I work out, watch my diet, and I can eat what the gently caress I want. And if I was fat, you still don't get to dictate to me what food I should eat if you ain't my doctor. General you here, not specifically directed at you Tiggum.

I don't mean to get overly into angry preachy vegetarian but like... people have to understand that simply revealing you don't eat meat almost always brings one of like three comments from people that have no business commenting. In real life. Every loving day. And "I would simply get a nice vegetarian curry" is one of them.

Particularly given that eating out is a social experience and very often, you go out to a place with few options. I don't dictate what patties Chili's uses and sometimes at a lovely chain joint I want a goddam burger and not an iceberg salad and tortilla chips.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 14:12 on Jun 15, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Killingyouguy! posted:

Mushrooms are how the earth turns death back into life.

They are not for eating.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Pet Peeves Thread: Defend Your Food Purchase

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Tiggum posted:

Why do people keep trying to defend fake meats by saying they taste exactly the same as lovely fast food? That is not making the point you think it is.

"lovely" fast food is tasty and convenient.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

We're not "defending" it, we're attempting to explain the appeal and incredibly annoyed at hearing carnivores go off about how lovely it is. "We should just own it and get some good vegetarian food." It's not a new or insightful opinion, it's as played out as raving about bacon.

The fake meats are also good for appealing to us non-vegetarians to just reduce our meat intake which is good. I recognize and respect the environmental and ethical concerns of the meat industry but have not given up on meat because it tastes good, it's convenient, I know how to cook it, it's what I'm used to. But if I can get an impossible whopper or whatever for close to the same price as a beef one, and it tastes as good, then I will and that's just a bit less meat that needs to be grown and killed. If imitation meats continue to get better and more affordable I could easily see myself reducing my meat intake to almost zero. Or to none at all if they actually get cheaper than real meat eventually.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Nobody actually cares about people's opinions on fake meat but everyone has to post a loving novel about it and that's why I hope the factories that make them burn to the loving ground.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I do in fact care because this poo poo isn't just posting it's a thing that happens every goddam day of my life and has for like ten years. Thank you, rando coworker, for giving your opinions about vegetarian options, this is definitely not a pet peeve, in fact I love it, how do you feel about my choice of breakfast cereal

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My only real question about the various substitute meats is whether they have any actual nutritional value beyond "not meat". Like I'd assume a black bean burger would be pretty good but I have no idea what goes into the others.

I had one of the Impossible Whoppers once. I found the texture a bit odd, but not objectionable. It tasted fine.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

docbeard posted:

My only real question about the various substitute meats is whether they have any actual nutritional value beyond "not meat". Like I'd assume a black bean burger would be pretty good but I have no idea what goes into the others.

Black bean burgers in fact own

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Now I’m hungry, goddamn you all :mad:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
i was told we'd cruise the seas for American gold

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

docbeard posted:

I had one of the Impossible Whoppers once. I found the texture a bit odd, but not objectionable. It tasted fine.

Soy is one of the extremely few plant proteins on earth that has all fourteen essential amino acids/a complete protein- the ones human bodies can't produce innately. Also it turns you into a cucked lib if you are Ben Shapiro.

Other than that, what do you mean by nutritional value? They have the values and ingredients listed on the label. They tend to be lower calorie, more fibre, and mostly protein. What nutrients do you think you are getting from a beef burger than a morning star burger can't?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

We're not "defending" it, we're attempting to explain the appeal and incredibly annoyed at hearing carnivores go off about how lovely it is.
That is exactly what I mean by "defending it" though. "Explaining the appeal" is defending it. It goes:

:mad: Fake meat is bad.
:v: No, it's just as good as fast food!
:mad: So, bad?

You're not going to convince anyone that something is good actually by saying it's just as good as a thing that is universally acknowledged to be garbage. Saying it's just as good as a meat whopper is just acknowledging that it's not good and you know it.

docbeard posted:

My only real question about the various substitute meats is whether they have any actual nutritional value beyond "not meat".
Based on looking up some nutrition info just now, they seem to be roughly the same as meat.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

That is exactly what I mean by "defending it" though. "Explaining the appeal" is defending it. It goes:

:mad: Fake meat is bad.
:v: No, it's just as good as fast food!
:mad: So, bad?

You're not going to convince anyone that something is good actually by saying it's just as good as a thing that is universally acknowledged to be garbage. Saying it's just as good as a meat whopper is just acknowledging that it's not good and you know it.

Based on looking up some nutrition info just now, they seem to be roughly the same as meat.

I'm not telling you it's good I'm telling you shut the gently caress up I already know I've heard your extremely original opinion before

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I do in fact care because this poo poo isn't just posting it's a thing that happens every goddam day of my life and has for like ten years. Thank you, rando coworker, for giving your opinions about vegetarian options, this is definitely not a pet peeve, in fact I love it, how do you feel about my choice of breakfast cereal

I actually meant meat eaters talking about fake meat. I'm a vegetarian currently and for the foreseeable future.

Also I do want to know about your choice of breakfast cereal because in my opinion the only good cereal is Golden Grahams mixed with Uncle Sam and no one agrees with me about it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

fizzymercury posted:

Also I do want to know about your choice of breakfast cereal because in my opinion the only good cereal is Golden Grahams mixed with Uncle Sam and no one agrees with me about it.

That sounds really good, actually. I haven't eaten cereal in years, but I was watching a food history documentary the other night and was reminded that there was a time that I could and would just kill an entire box of Special K.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Iron Crowned posted:

Black bean burgers in fact own

Yes they do. So do regular burgers.

If you want to eat fake meat, do it. If you want to eat well-done steak covered in ketchup, do it. If you want to eat chocolate covered cicadas, do it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Black beans are far far far superior to soy as a beef replacement despite not tasting anything close to beef but they gel better with the same things as beef than soy does.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

fizzymercury posted:

All Bran + All Bran Wheat Flakes + your choice of dried fruit and nuts mix (this one's pretty good) is the best cereal. All-Bran Wheat Flakes are the only brand I know of that aren't disgustingly sweet.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Tiggum posted:

All Bran + All Bran Wheat Flakes + your choice of dried fruit and nuts mix (this one's pretty good) is the best cereal. All-Bran Wheat Flakes are the only brand I know of that aren't disgustingly sweet.

Oh I love all of those things but haven't combined them yet...getting good ideas in the peeves thread from tiggum.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Pet peeve: every thread on this forum seems to devolve into Americans arguing about which place they prefer to eat pulped offal at. It's fast food, it doesn't loving matter.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Other than that, what do you mean by nutritional value? They have the values and ingredients listed on the label. They tend to be lower calorie, more fibre, and mostly protein. What nutrients do you think you are getting from a beef burger than a morning star burger can't?

I just meant at more of a high level (and I wasn't necessarily expecting you in particular to produce an answer, so thank you) since I haven't researched the things at all and had no idea what they were made of other than "plants". Makes sense that they're soy based since you can make soy taste like drat near anything.

As for the latter question, I just assume that any nutritional value in fast food of any kind is entirely coincidental.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

When the chain on the flapper in the toilet tank kinks and you have to go back into the bathroom and take the back off the tank and yank it loose so it'll stop running

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

People keep showing me rats and expecting me to think they're cute. Rats aren't cute

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Brawnfire posted:

When the chain on the flapper in the toilet tank kinks and you have to go back into the bathroom and take the back off the tank and yank it loose so it'll stop running

This happens all the time to me, the chain sometimes catches on the lever arm thing and does this. Thankfully angrily jiggling the handle usually fixes it so I don’t have to go I side the tank but ugh.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
My toilet uses Mansfield parts, which contains this ridiculous poo poo instead of a normal flapper.

It's like they were trying to make it use as many moving parts as they possibly could. Even after a fresh rebuild, it fucks up constantly. If it's not getting stuck open, it's slamming itself shut 1/4 of the way through a flush instead.

No chain, though!

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

HOLY gently caress posted:

I hate it when sites make you contact customer service to change the email address for your accounts instead of letting you do it in your account settings. Like I’d get it for financial accounts or something but not for minor things like a site where I get household goods from or a clothing site.

Christ alive, this just happened to me again. This is like the third site, too. It was easier to change the email associated with my bank accounts but the site I buy underwear from makes me go through this :negative:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
just once i would loving love to leave the house without seeing or being dragged into some kind of altercation. at the supermarket earlier, a guy was pretty nice to me on line, until he got this huge chip knocked off his shoulder about the self checkout attendant "having an attitude" at him. he started loving screaming and threatening her, security had to order him to leave

christ, what is with people? it's so much worse now

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

nishi koichi posted:

just once i would loving love to leave the house without seeing or being dragged into some kind of altercation. at the supermarket earlier, a guy was pretty nice to me on line, until he got this huge chip knocked off his shoulder about the self checkout attendant "having an attitude" at him. he started loving screaming and threatening her, security had to order him to leave

christ, what is with people? it's so much worse now

People basically went feral during covid, I think we're trying to figure out how to function in public again.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

To-Door deliveries. (By companies with poor tracking systems.)
Most companies here nowadays have systems where the tracking shows where you are in the queue, estimated delivery window, a notification when you're the next one in line for a delivery etc.

But not Postnord, they're still doing the 'we have a package for you and we'll probably call you while we're outside your house, sometime today. We can't be assed to be more specific than that.'
I really hate feeling like I can't start doing something / do groceries / washing etc because I'll just randomly get a call and have to drop everything to meet them at the door.
The other delivery companies avoid that when I can just go 'oh, there's 10 people ahead of me in the queue, alright, I can pop out and get my groceries with no issue then.' (And on top of that already have like 2-3 hour windows they're targeting.)

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Yeah, having to wait all day for something like that is the worst because you know they're going to call the minute you step away from your phone or go somewhere. At least they do call you though, sometimes they don't here despite delivery instructions and I get a 'whoops sorry, can't deliver it :(' if it comes on a weekend. I have absolutely no problem going to meet them for the package but I can't do that if I don't know that they're there

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah exactly, I just hate the feeling and it leads me to mostly faff around and procrastinate on the pc or whatever instead of doing anything useful.

Aside from that, more peeves and frustration, since I'm moving to the other side of the country:
I check an AirBnB listing. I make an account, I check the listing again, and suddenly it's 10% more per night with the exact same search terms / duration / etc.
Gee I sure love utterly opaque bullshit algorithm sites that probably just increase the price because I'm showing interest in a listing, and they're trying to pressure me into getting it.

Ugh, I have to move to a different city, which means getting a short term place to stay at so I can check out the long-term places, because landlords refuse to rent things out unless you've poked your head in and had a chat nowadays here.
Also a couple hotels offer long-term (up to 1 month etc) stays for reasonable prices, then the second you actually look at those they just pull the rug out from under you and go 'no, we don't have those, but we have the exact same rooms at 2x the price compared to what we just promised on the previous page though.'

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
LOL at not having a FedEx driver that just hides poo poo in bushes for you to find literal weeks after ordering a replacement.

Edit: the morning guy hides my poo poo, the evening guy tosses my poo poo onto the lawn even if it's something that super needs to be signed for like a box that is covered on all sides with labels that say EXPLOSIVE.

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 14:06 on Jun 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Stores with ambiguous as poo poo or just fake opening/closing hours.

The sign says you open at 5 AM. An understandably pissed cashier as been made to stand there since like 3:30 AM. The door unlocks for customers at 7 AM and somehow I'm the rear end in a top hat for wanting to buy sunflower seeds before 10 AM.