Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

christmas boots posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqzR4YGr9RU

GO STRAIGHT

AND
TURN
RIGHT

GO GO GO

GO YOUR WAY

BELIEVE IN YOURSELF

Well this just hit Gamepass so I guess I'm gonna install it now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Grendels Dad posted:

Magneto is a radical who was fed up with the status quo. He clearly thought mutants had what it would take to fight back.
Yeah this has been a recurring thing through all the X-Men series, but I find it funny that...what has brought him there is the fact that they know with absolute certainty that in this specific case, Mutants didn't have what it would take to fight back :v: The whole time travel shenanigans start because
Mutants have lost their fight.

I guess Magneto beign a supremacist thinks that, with the Sentinels being scrapped, mutankind has the upper hand...but this is a bit myopic to say the least. Guess it's fitting with his character though.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I mean, he's a terrorist. Terrorists aren't thinking in terms of military strategy or tactics, but rather in terms of psychology, propaganda, and public relations. Might as well ask if Al Qaeda thought they were going to conquer the US by destroying a few buildings and 4 airliners. No, they'll bleed us to death by drawing us into an endless overseas quagmire just like they did the Soviet Union. Same kind of asymmetrical thinking.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Magneto should've just crunched up all the sewage pipes in every military base and Government facility up with his magnet powers causing them to flood with poop making them far too busy with vomiting to expend any energy on oppressing mutants.

John Water's X-Men

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 13:53 on Jun 15, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I really want to see the timeline where Magneto succeeded in saving JFK, the mutant President.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Charles and co. are idealists, who fully believe that humans and mutants can co-exist as soon as the latter are seen as equal. To them, the Sentinels are a horror because they destroy every hope of reaching this balance. They were the one foe that the X-Men couldn't defeat. But if you destroy the Sentinels, history can take its natural course and equality will arise someday as long as people like Charles are there to stand guard.

Magneto isn't as optimistic. He's not a supremacist -not yet- but he's definitely more realistic and paranoid. He survived the holocaust and has no illusions about the fact that the Sentinels are just a tool. It's not that the fact that they will become an undefeatable foe which scares him, but the confirmation that society has zero problems with using such a tool to erase his people when given the chance. The horror is that he saw it coming, but again nobody acted until it was too late.

So naturally, destroying the big robots isn't enough. Calming the situation down changes nothing. What he needs to do is erase the very concept of a mutant holocaust from people's mind as an option, by showing the humans that they are NOT to be hosed with. It's not pessimism or overreacting if someone from the future just confirmed all your worst fears.

Of course, later Magneto will let his paranoia drive him to become a horrible figure, but his acts in Future Past make sense.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Magneto is basically a preemptive Abba Kovner, a Jewish partisan, who after the war formed a plan to kill 6 million Germans to even things out. Accounts vary but he probably only managed to make 3000 SS POWs very sick with no conformed deaths.

Kovner's group was called Nakam (Revenge) sometimes translated as The Avengers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is a good song about him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTOhItq5Xow

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Good initiative bad judgement I say

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

What he needs to do is erase the very concept of a mutant holocaust from people's mind as an option, by showing the humans that they are NOT to be hosed with. It's not pessimism or overreacting if someone from the future just confirmed all your worst fears.

Of course, later Magneto will let his paranoia drive him to become a horrible figure, but his acts in Future Past make sense.
This is definitely true, but I don't think his actions, as grandiose as they are, would dissuade the world's powers from going after the mutants. What he would need is some kind of nuclear deterrent equivalent - something that says "if you come after us, you're going to be dead too"; what's he's done instead is to give every government in the world a very good case for a preventive strike against him/mutankind. His plan worked cause nobody was expecting him to fly a stadium over the White House - hell, almost no one even knew he existed and the federal government didn't consider mutants a risk worth keeping under tabs before this, even after Trask's warnings...but now everyone is aware that mutant powers are something they have to prepare for. For as powerful, charismatic and cunning as Magneto is, he isn't Dr. Manhattan - so he can't just keep the worlds power at bay by shock and awe.

As someone else mentioned, though, this is a very good commercial for "join my revolution" to every disgruntled mutant in the world, though.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 16:39 on Jun 15, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That probably is his nuclear option, mind. Magneto's already a WMD by any standards- and can quite specifically turn back nukes, especially given what happened in the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Also wouldn't be surprised if the end of the Cold War actually ramped up anti-mutant sentiment, since you no longer needed mutant superweapons to fight those dirty reds/capitalist pigs.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Incidentally the 'House of X' storyline from a couple of years ago where Xavier and Magneto work together again and again and again to try to prevent the annihilation of mutantkind is pretty cool, as you'd expect from anything Hickman. Worth picking up one way or another even if you've tuned out modern X-Men books.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Comic Magneto has had a lot more time to add some more depth.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Why do comic X-Men even still live on Earth?

Xavier's (occasionally) married to an alien birdwoman who literally rules an entire galaxy. There's a region on the moon with air and full gravity. The moon Titan is full of semi-humans with powers, just like them.

They constantly go on space adventures using their own equipment, with no help from anyone else.

So why not move offworld? Maintain an Earth embassy to find and help mutants who want to leave, or mutant kids as they come into their powers.

But avoid 99.999999999% of your troubles by moving where the bigots can't reach you and won't care about you.

Yeah, I know - comics are the living embodiment of status quo and nothing changes forever and, if you think it will, someone will still go and sell their marriage to the devil anyway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The current storyline is probably in fact leading to them leaving.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Because, in the Marvel universe, there's even bigger assholes in space than on Earth.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There's a line in the pilot movie of the original A-Team series where Amy asks Hannibal why they don't go and live somewhere like Switzerland rather than constantly being on the run in the United States. Hannibal replies "Because we're not Swiss. We're Americans. We got a little problem right now, but we'll work our way out of it somehow. In the mean time, we stick together and do what we do best." I can see mutants feeling the same way. Your home may hate you, but it's still your home and you want to make it better.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Also in the current comics (at least, as of the mid-2020 range last time I was caught up) they have their own magical sentient mutant island paradise with cylon-style resurrection factories, but we get a glimpse of possible far futures where the last living mutants are absorbed by an alien collective intelligence, or wiped out by augmented humanity, or, or, or. It's a fun read.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
You also gotta figure not every plain-jane mutant would have the means or ability to get off-planet.

If an alien race came to Earth and offered mutants asylum, I think there would be a couple that want to stay in light of the mass exodus.

IIMM: I'm watching Captain Marvel right now & somehow the nostalgia angle they're shooting for (set in the 90's) doesn't seem to fit as well as other MCU films have done. I also don't care for Carol's personality, which I guess makes me a misogynist. :ohdear:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I liked Captain Marvel but she doesn't really struggle with anything.
It's cool to have a female character that out of the gate says, "gently caress you, I'm doing this on my terms, eat poo poo" but when your superpower is "god" there needs to be an additional element to make it compelling.

Yeah she's got memory loss and was essentially kidnapped but that doesn't hinder her in any meaningful way.

It's why I don't care for many versions of Superman because they just make the story "Supes has to punch harder than he's ever punched before!!!"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

I liked Captain Marvel but she doesn't really struggle with anything.
It's cool to have a female character that out of the gate says, "gently caress you, I'm doing this on my terms, eat poo poo" but when your superpower is "god" there needs to be an additional element to make it compelling.

Yeah she's got memory loss and was essentially kidnapped but that doesn't hinder her in any meaningful way.

It's why I don't care for many versions of Superman because they just make the story "Supes has to punch harder than he's ever punched before!!!"

I liked it, her main struggles in the film are dealing with shapeshifters and finding out who she actually is and working through her past. When she does get to go ham on people with her superpowers it’s more catharsis at the end of her arc of being hosed with than something that challenges her. The tension at the end comes from the supporting characters who have to deal with the villains and don’t have godlike powers.

Imagined posted:

I find it irrationally irritating that Yakuza even gives people the option of playing with an English dub. :colbert:

Yakuza 7’s English dub is really, really good though. Will Yun Lee kills it as the villain and I don’t think the emotional payoff of the ending would have worked half as well if I was reading subtitles.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Look, I'm just saying "why do the oppressed people not simply leave?" isn't really a good road to go down.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yakuza 7’s English dub is really, really good though. Will Yun Lee kills it as the villain and I don’t think the emotional payoff of the ending would have worked half as well if I was reading subtitles.

Yeah whoever was doing Ichi's voice really threw a lot of pain into his lines at the end it ruled.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'm glad it's not my job to come up with new interesting stories for Superman, because the best stories about him are either about different aspects of BEING Superman (e.g. 'Red Son', 'Secret Identity', 'Superman for All Seasons'), what it's like to be a normal person in a world where someone like Superman exists, or how someone like him could solve problems that can't be solved by being invincible and punching things. Also the evergreen "what if Superman, but" e.g. 'Invincible / Irredeemable / Injustice'.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Megillah Gorilla posted:

People are expecting the big reveal for tomorrow’s Planet Size X-Men, is going to be that mutants have terraformed Mars.

Mutants already have their own sovereign nation.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Android Apocalypse posted:

You also gotta figure not every plain-jane mutant would have the means or ability to get off-planet.

If an alien race came to Earth and offered mutants asylum, I think there would be a couple that want to stay in light of the mass exodus.

X-men have mutants that could blink you across the cosmos,it would be so easy.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
They also have access to friends with large spacehips who could fly around the world picking people up. And mutants who can read the minds of everyone on Earth to see who wants to be picked up to make things even easier.

Open Marriage Night posted:

People are expecting the big reveal for tomorrow’s Planet Size X-Men, is going to be that mutants have terraformed Mars.

Mutants already have their own sovereign nation.

Now that's sensible.

Both Mars terraforming and the whole freedom by finance and influence.

Push El Burrito posted:

Look, I'm just saying "why do the oppressed people not simply leave?" isn't really a good road to go down.

It seemed to work okay for Israel.

Not so much for the Palestinians, but that's a problem wholly avoided by moving to Mars or the Blue Area of the moon.

EDIT: Or think of it as less of an Israel and more along the lines of a women's shelter from abusive partners. No one should have to flee their home, but "should doesn't mean poo poo" when the alternative is being abused or murdered.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 05:33 on Jun 16, 2021

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Megillah Gorilla posted:

They also have access to friends with large spacehips who could fly around the world picking people up. And mutants who can read the minds of everyone on Earth to see who wants to be picked up to make things even easier.

Now that's sensible.

Both Mars terraforming and the whole freedom by finance and influence.

It seemed to work okay for Israel.

Not so much for the Palestinians, but that's a problem wholly avoided by moving to Mars or the Blue Area of the moon.

EDIT: Or think of it as less of an Israel and more along the lines of a women's shelter from abusive partners. No one should have to flee their home, but "should doesn't mean poo poo" when the alternative is being abused or murdered.

Bruh.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I like how media has taught at least one person that sending Palestinians away into space is a valid solution.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

MariusLecter posted:

I like how media has taught at least one person that sending Palestinians away into space is a valid solution.

No, no. We aren't sending them away. They are going voluntarily. To escape our persecution.

But we aren't sending them away, no not at all. Anyway, the important part is that they will be far far away from 'normal' people and thus can better live with 'their own kind', and not with any of us.

This is a good, progressive thing.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Also there is no way "oppressed people should leave" ever leads to "oppress people in order to make them leave".

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
In a horrible situation, where people are being abused and killed, moving to protect the innocent from being abused now is not the insane stance you think it is.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Megillah Gorilla posted:

In a horrible situation, where people are being abused and killed, moving to protect the innocent from being abused now is not the insane stance you think it is.

Dig up.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The fact that mutants in the X Men often have insanely dangerous powers absolutely fucks up trying to use them as a metaphor for anything and makes trying to paint parallels a super touchy subject.

Like, they’re stories with an oppressed minority where that minority can also shoot lasers from their face or kill everything in a three mile radius completely by accident. Trying to map it to a real life situation is… difficult.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Attack on Titan had some similar plot ideas, an oppressed people with super powers, etc.

The ride was pretty good but the ending was absolutely terrible. Maybe even very creative humans can’t come up with a good answer to the mutant trolley problem. :amen:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Tenkaris posted:

The ride was pretty good but the ending was absolutely terrible. Maybe even very creative humans can’t come up with a good answer to the mutant trolley problem. :amen:

The mutant trolley problem,you could move the trolley onto the tracks and - oh one mutant broke free of their restraints by blinking….aaaand now they’ve blinked the train out of existence aaaand then they blinked wrong and now everyone *insert something unbelievable and freakish happening to earth*

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
If I was a Marvel mutant, I would just tell everyone that I got my powers from a science experiment or something, and they would accept me as a cool superhero.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

SimonChris posted:

If I was a Marvel mutant, I would just tell everyone that I got my powers from a science experiment or something, and they would accept me as a cool superhero.
It would be fun to see what they do with Mutants if they ever have the X-Men converge into the main MCU, cause most of the existing characters have already been put under similar optics as the X-Men (unaccounted, superpowered individual), including "non super" people like Iron Man; the difference ofc being that almost everyone (aside from Wanda and Vision) were not born that way, although some of them became what they are without a choice. Spiderman Far from Home - even Spiderman has JJJ show up at the end of that movie to paint him as a villain due to Mysterio's actions.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SimonChris posted:

This is literally Ultimate Wasp.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Jedit posted:

This is literally Ultimate Wasp.

Phew, lucky nothing bad will ever happen toher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Also the story of every member of the Fantastic Four.