Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

wild that you can get poop in your lungs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Did anybody else watch In the Heights yet? As someone who's never seen the live show but has enjoyed the soundtrack for a long time, I largely enjoyed it. The casting was pretty good, the staging on a lot of the big musical numbers was good to great.

My main complaint with it, and I don't know if I've seen much writing about this, is how committed the adaptation seems to shaving any rough edges off of the characters and the community:

-Usnavi can't reach his dream of buying a shop in the Dominican just because he got lucky with Abuela's winning lottery ticket, it must be established that he's already bootstrapped and saved enough money to get there on his own.

-Nina can't be shown to have failed any of her classes at Stanford, her dropping out now has to be an ethical decision about whether she belongs away from home at an institution that doesn't value her identity and her lived experiences, even though that new motivation doesn't really jive with a lot of her song lyrics.

-The threat of post-blackout looting in "Blackout" has been removed in the adaptation, which renders a really show-stopping sequence for the stage show strangely lifeless onscreen.

I don't think any of these things ruin the movie or anything like that, but I do think that a bit of relatability is lost with changes like that, when there's seemingly a fear of portraying anyone under-privileged as anything other than noble and studious and fully competent.

edit: isn't it weird there's no forum for talking about movies?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 15, 2021

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Amy Pole Her posted:

The main character is just so charismatic

I love every scene where somebody gives him poo poo and he just gets that look on his face...

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

GD_American posted:

Not entirely. Many of these smells come from chemical compounds that off-gas from fecal matter, such as skatole.

Sorry when a relationship is toxic I sever immediately. Science is dead to me and I will never learn anything again.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ehud posted:

I love every scene where somebody gives him poo poo and he just gets that look on his face...

Lmao every single time he mouths off to someone being an rear end in a top hat in public i just fall in love with the character a tiny bit more.

How funny / good he is with his daughter just sealed it for me by mid first season. Love the show.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ehud posted:

He's insinuating that he's vaguely sympathetic. I think he's sort of pulling it off too -- in a *sad has-been* kind of way. There is some charm to it.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

FizFashizzle posted:

but people are freaked out by seemingly random events like that so they prescribe agency to a process and hey if you can drag down a perceived Other in the process then, well, waste not want not.

:hai:

People really do not handle randomness very well, and the need to assign intent to everything is so loving tiring. I have no idea how much of a dead horse example it is, but Apple making their shuffle function less random because of complaints is really the perfect example.

And yeah, nothing pairs with wondering why a bad thing is happening better than finding someone to point a finger at and vilify for it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Oh my god. Nintendo just announced a new 2D Metroid game.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ehud posted:

Oh hell yes.

Metroid Dread? That's ominous.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Stealth and boss fights, two gameplay mechanics I don’t remember being in the 2D games (never played the 3D ones)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GD_American posted:

Stealth and boss fights, two gameplay mechanics I don’t remember being in the 2D games (never played the 3D ones)

2d Metroid definitely had boss fights. The game series is named after the final boss in the first game.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

GD_American posted:

One of the best boss fights of all time was in Super Metroid.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

GD_American posted:

there was stealth in metroid zero mission

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

finally had a second to work in the yard

The guy before didn't touch anything for 2 years.

Gonna take a lot of work and i already missed the prime growing seasons. hopefully i can just get some basic poo poo in over the next 2 ish months before i start thinking about winter stuff.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ehud posted:

Nintendo's E3 blew everything else out of the water.

Lol at no Switch Pro though

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My girlfriend and I are negotiating Father's Day as it's time we've decided it's time for the MEETING OF THE PARENTS.

Just figuring out where to have it is exhausting. My parents have a slightly bigger place, a nicer deck, and a lot of property. The issue? They have a cat, and my girlfriend's dad is allergic, and for whatever reason doesn't want to take medication.

We could do it at her parent's place, it's just a smaller place and not a great place to sit outside (fathers day is gonna be a nice day according to the forecast).

Then it comes to who cooks - who brings what?

Another option is a 3rd party place, like a restaurant. Everyone is vaccinated, but still... my parents watch their grandkids twice a week who obviously aren't vaccinated since it's not eligible for their age, so they've been limited how they've been going out and who they go out to see.

Man, why does this have to so drat hard :saddowns:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
If you are going to be outside, does the cat allergy matter?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

hifi posted:

there was stealth in metroid zero mission

Metroid Fusion had some stealth elements to hide from SA-X too.

swickles posted:

It shouldn't, but her mom complains if it's too hot and would want to eat inside :shrug: tough crowd, really.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

One of the best boss fights of all time was in Super Metroid.

See, one boss fight, yeah I remember it (and the great sequence with the grown-up Baby Metroid saving you), but not like sub-level boss fights.

Also, I only ever played the original and Super Metroid. I didn't know there was another 2D one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

seiferguy posted:

My girlfriend and I are negotiating Father's Day as it's time we've decided it's time for the MEETING OF THE PARENTS.

Just figuring out where to have it is exhausting. My parents have a slightly bigger place, a nicer deck, and a lot of property. The issue? They have a cat, and my girlfriend's dad is allergic, and for whatever reason doesn't want to take medication.

We could do it at her parent's place, it's just a smaller place and not a great place to sit outside (fathers day is gonna be a nice day according to the forecast).

Another option is a 3rd party place, like a restaurant. Everyone is vaccinated, but still... my parents watch their grandkids twice a week who obviously aren't vaccinated since it's not eligible for their age, so they've been limited how they've been going out and who they go out to see.

Could you do a park? it's supposed to be 78 degrees in Seattle on Sunday. Make sandwiches for everyone yourself and ask the folks to bring sides or desert.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

Going to the bathroom I guess?

Yeah outside at Seifer's folks place if the weather is nice seems the easiest from what I can tell here and people are just being dumb and territorial. I guess you could just suggest a public park with a grill/bring your own?

seiferguy posted:

but her mom complains if it's too hot and would want to eat inside

To be fair this is me, screw sweating if I'm not actually working.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 15, 2021

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

seiferguy posted:

Out of all those the restaurant sounds like the best option if you can accept the grandkid risk.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

GD_American posted:

See, one boss fight, yeah I remember it (and the great sequence with the grown-up Baby Metroid saving you), but not like sub-level boss fights.

Also, I only ever played the original and Super Metroid. I didn't know there was another 2D one.

Metroid 2 was on Game Boy, and had a major boss fight at the end.

But yeah, Kraid, Ridley and Mother Brain were all on NES Metroid too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

GD_American posted:

Super Metroid has 11 boss fights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKxZYPpvKHg

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The boss fights are like…maybe the most memorable part of the Metroid series for me.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ehud posted:

The boss fights are like…maybe the most memorable part of the Metroid series for me.

The boss fights or the music for me

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

metroid hasn't been good since samus stopped having green hair

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ehud posted:

I always loved finding the stuff that finally allowed me to go back and reach those unsolved levels. Metroidvanias are my favorite genre easily.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Honestly I think one of the best mods I've ever played is the Super Metroid / LttP randomizers because when you've played both games so much that you know where every item is, it just makes it all the more fun to plan where you can go based on the items you have.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Jesus my memory. Yeah I haven't played it in 25 years, but still

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Watched that entire Direct despite not owning a Switch, and I'm a little sad at no Switch 2 announcement.

Alaois posted:

metroid hasn't been good since samus stopped having green hair

But she has blonde hair at the end of Prime??????

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

GD_American posted:

Jesus my memory. Yeah I haven't played it in 25 years, but still

If you still enjoy platformers I'd recommend a replay, it holds up as well as any of the other classics from the snes.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

seiferguy posted:

Because people are dumb, fickle and territorial.

I don’t miss that nonsense.

Before we had a kid there were constant holiday negotiations, hurt feelings, and flared tempers about every single loving outing. Everyone feels slighted if they have to accommodate anyone else in any way. So frustrating.

Now we just sort of do what we want and invite people. If they can’t do it, we aren’t modifying plans 100 times to suit every whim. Come or don’t.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
For Nintendo's conference I got excited because SMT V finally got a release date.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I do blame the metroid games for giving me unrealistic expectations about lava. In the metroid world lava is just hot melty stuff with the density of water.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

This is why it's great that we have no family for 800 miles for either of us!

(it also kinda sucks sometimes)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I'll probably earn a few years in Purgatory for saying this, but it's worth it: the death of all my in-laws has tremendously simplified and brightened my holidays.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Don't get me wrong: I like my girlfriend's parents, and we someone lucked into the fact that our parents live 10 minutes away from each other. It's just they have certain feelings about things that makes poo poo like this difficult.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

How come when you get engaged you're expected to have all the answers for everybody. I got engaged three weeks ago and people are asking where the wedding is. I don't loving know, it took all of the pandemic to get the first part accomplished. We aren't getting married for a year and a half so currently have it narrowed down to west of the Mississippi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Don't get me wrong: I like my girlfriend's parents, and we someone lucked into the fact that our parents live 10 minutes away from each other. It's just they have certain feelings about things that makes poo poo like this difficult.

It's always funny dealing with stuff like that, because our own parents will usually have that same poo poo, but we grew up with it, so it just seems like normal stuff, but then you have to deal with someone else's parents as a full grown adult and it's like "how the gently caress do you think that's normal?"