Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

that crave is fully turgid :wth:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Not sure why I thought that. I somehow got the impression from the marketing that they were the same, which is probably intentional.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Stan Taylor posted:

I feel like instead of buying a hardware clone of something I’d go for a software solution first. Spending money on a knockoff feels weird to me.

isn't that what V-Collection started out as though? It's a software emulation instead of hardware one, but it's no less unlicensed and unsanctioned (not all of V-Collection's instruments--particularly a lot of the older ones--are official)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Ordered the dx prepare for extended soundscape soundcloud links

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

inferis posted:

Aren’t they the exact same circuits?

They sound close enough that in a mix you can't tell a difference. Only cork-sniffing weirdos care about that poo poo.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Oldstench posted:

They sound close enough that in a mix you can't tell a difference. Only cork-sniffing weirdos care about that poo poo.

an unfortunate pejorative choice given the history of the company being discussed

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

an unfortunate pejorative choice given the history of the company being discussed
No idea what you're talking about here.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Oldstench posted:

No idea what you're talking about here.

Google behringer anti-Semitic

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Google Butt posted:

Google behringer anti-Semitic
OK. That's not how I meant what I said.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

a microtonal clonewheel. I think that's all I really want in hardware

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

If I were to circuit bend something I'd really consider this. Sounds like rear end, but maybe in a good way. If you want "teh dirt" this thing will deliver.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Oldstench posted:

i mean for the most part i agree, bad word choice notwithstanding, but there’s stuff like the tr606 which is beloved because how it cuts through a mix and the behringer clone just doesn’t. does that mean i don’t think it’s worth the price? not at all! it’s a dirt cheap drum machine that sounds pretty drat good. their 303 clone as well is very good for the asking price. it’s not a painstakingly accurate recreation of a tb303 but like you said you can’t really tell in a mix. same goes for any subtractive vst tho once you understand how to recreate an acid sequence.

i’m not a snob in the slightest when it comes to synths, i’m just not a fan of litigious, anti semitic ceos and marketing hype. buy what you think is worth buying and make the music you wanna make! :shobon:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I couldn’t ABX their stringer over the VP, maybe that’s TOGs being TOGs and most attempts don’t bother to simulate them correctly, dunno.
Unobtanium chips made by Cool notwithstanding, I’m done giving Uli money though.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

watho posted:

i mean for the most part i agree, bad word choice notwithstanding, but there’s stuff like the tr606 which is beloved because how it cuts through a mix and the behringer clone just doesn’t. does that mean i don’t think it’s worth the price? not at all! it’s a dirt cheap drum machine that sounds pretty drat good. their 303 clone as well is very good for the asking price. it’s not a painstakingly accurate recreation of a tb303 but like you said you can’t really tell in a mix. same goes for any subtractive vst tho once you understand how to recreate an acid sequence.

i’m not a snob in the slightest when it comes to synths, i’m just not a fan of litigious, anti semitic ceos and marketing hype. buy what you think is worth buying and make the music you wanna make! :shobon:

The td-3 I'd the best sounding 303 clone I've ever heard full stop. Maybe equal to the Avalon one but then again the Avalon costs like $1000 and the Td3 is $140.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

TIL Ken Marshall (mixing/mastering/arrangements for Skinny Puppy among other things), has a ridiculously well produced but barely watched YouTube channel. His demeanor is a bit uhh hyper, but, he's definitely a wealth of knowledge on production, especially tidbits about industrial/electronic production other places might not cover

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=UUjLd6862BxCe7Dd6ukj3zEw

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

toadee posted:

TIL Ken Marshall (mixing/mastering/arrangements for Skinny Puppy among other things), has a ridiculously well produced but barely watched YouTube channel. His demeanor is a bit uhh hyper, but, he's definitely a wealth of knowledge on production, especially tidbits about industrial/electronic production other places might not cover

Cools TY, I've always loved me some skinny puppy.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

toadee posted:

WOW thanks for that.
TIL some of the vocal distortion in FLA tracks is done by using a vocoder with a noise source as the carrier. I'm stoked to learn how a lot of the signature sound of the genre is created.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Something worthwhile finally posted on Gearspace: Paul Hartnoll listing the gear used on Lush 3-1

https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.php?p=15499068&postcount=3

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Sweetwater figured the burn-in is enough of an issue along with the lack of support on other problems that they're letting me return the Oxygen Pro 49 a month late. I really appreciate that, because it was getting me down big time. Now I'm gonna get an Akai MPK249. I hadn't loved it in-person because the keybed didn't wow me, but I think the one I tried at Guitar Center was super worn out from being a scuffed-up GC demo unit for so long. I think the way I take care of things I will get a ton of use out of one and it will do what I need for years. It looks great on paper and has a reputation of years of actual performance to back up its specs.

Avoid Oxygen Pro boards (and also maybe just M-Audio in general until/unless they get their poo poo together) IMO, this was a terrible experience. Don't avoid Sweetwater though.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 15, 2021

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Imaginando just released a visual synth VST that is quite a bit of fun. Routing all of your poo poo to it can be a bit challenging (at least in Bitwig), but it's fun as hell to mess with and the visualizations are just :goatdrugs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6d3ywuRSY

Currently on sale for half price.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

that looks incredibly sick

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Introducing Behringer PLAITS BRAINS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U59OzyB6lBM

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

watho posted:

Way too many things for me to throw money at .. kudos for using bitwig, haven't heard that word for a while.

I was casually thinking about getting an Electrosonix Mono Synth, fired up the old ebay and put in "guitar synth" and now I'm seeing so many bright, shiny, candy-like buttons to press oh god ... Boss has a guitar synth in their new line of pedals, I wonder how that is going.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

watho posted:

Jeez it does, probably going to get it now you little shits

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

hey it's that thing everyone saw coming when they jumped in the space :rip:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At least mutable instruments intentionally open sourced their stuff so things like this could happen.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I won't lie I wish my plaits had a proper supersaw mode

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

At least my uGrids has smaller HP and non-poo poo knobs.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Behringer must have bought up all the old manufacturing plants for printers since they seem to be stuck with all the USB-B connectors

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

usb-b is good though

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I like usb-b also!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

C > B > Micro

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I literally don't understand why anyone likes C at all

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Everything should be USB-C, from phones to synths to printers to lamps to electric vehicles to nuclear power plants

USB-C, all of it.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

toadee posted:

I literally don't understand why anyone likes C at all

Reversible. Ubiquitous.

Mini USB and especially micro USB are garbage.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

USB-B feels strong and powerful, like an old hard drive or a mighty printer as mentioned above.

If we are conceding to bullshit like 'it must be small' then ok I will take Mini USB, as it is a lot sturdier and not as much of a clear total piece of poo poo as Micro USB.

I mean don't get me wrong I also like USB-C ok, but nowhere near as much as I love USB-B. What a strong USB. USB-C is small though, that's good sometimes. Micro USB just seems designed to be poo poo, and fail quickly, choking more octopuses or dolphins with useless hosed up ocean-cables

Agreed fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 15, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Agreed posted:

USB-B feels strong and powerful, like an old hard drive or a mighty printer as mentioned above.

If we are conceding to bullshit like 'it must be small' then ok I will take Mini USB, as it is a lot sturdier and not as much of a clear total piece of poo poo as Micro USB.

I mean don't get me wrong I also like USB-C ok, but nowhere near as much as I love USB-B. What a strong USB. USB-C is small though, that's good sometimes. Micro USB just seems designed to be poo poo, and fail quickly, choking more octopuses or dolphins with useless hosed up ocean-cables

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Agreed posted:

My only thing with USB-B is that all of my Arturia gear feels like the port is only half depth and it never feels quite fully plugged in and "safe."

Is that just Arturia?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I’ve never had a problem with any usb connector breaking, and rarely do I have any problems with figuring out what way to plug something in. USB C mainly feels like another set of loving cables I have to buy for another set of poo poo that has different loving cables from all my older poo poo. Just irritating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

BonoMan posted:

My only thing with USB-B is that all of my Arturia gear feels like the port is only half depth and it never feels quite fully plugged in and "safe."

Is that just Arturia?

I mean the Oxygen Pro 49 from M-Audio that I just unplugged to ship it back had among it's pros a very sturdy feeling USB-B plug. May disappoint elsewhere.