Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CredulousAtBest
Oct 4, 2020
My name is CredulousAtBest. Glenn Greenwald constantly owning me has resulted in my prodromal schizophrenia, so please be polite when you deal with psychotic breaks and kindly nod to my unintelligible tripe.

well thank fecking christ

also that Mica thing in the north is pretty hosed up. Peoples houses are falling apart apparently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I was googling the mica thing and apparently the 'guideline' is less than 1% mica is acceptable and some of the companies were producing blocks that were 58 loving % mica but its actually ok because there weren't regulations in place to make that absolutely illegal soo how could they have known it wasn't ok???

Shady lovely cheap lil shitbags.

I don't want to be mean about Donegal, but lads, you gotta stop being so contrary and align with the law of the rest of the country, even of it means not driving drunk all the time, or openly hating gay people
Yis aren't Roscommon, like.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

People have a pretty drat good idea exactly who it was that manufactured the high mica blocks in question especially considering the high proportion of houses in Inishowen/North Donegal affected and said company has been in the local press asking people to please stop harassing their employees on the street.

It's big news up in this neck of the woods, even more so considering holiday home/second home owners not officially resident south of the border are currently completely locked out of the redress scheme. There's an awful lot of Derry people who see owning a house in Inishowen as the middle class dream getting stung badly.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah it's just one company/quarry, right? I expect to see some of those lads getting the Quinn Group treatment - I..e. being found naked and confused a week after going missing with mica shoved up their arse

CredulousAtBest
Oct 4, 2020
My name is CredulousAtBest. Glenn Greenwald constantly owning me has resulted in my prodromal schizophrenia, so please be polite when you deal with psychotic breaks and kindly nod to my unintelligible tripe.
Yeh you'd hope everyone in management at Cassidy's would have assets seized to help pay for it but it'll be the taxpayer ofc.

Scumbags.

CredulousAtBest
Oct 4, 2020
https://www.donegaldaily.com/2021/05/10/breaking-company-at-centre-of-mica-scandal-appeal-for-end-to-harassment/

quote:

We fully recognise the genuine trauma and hardship suffered by people whose properties are affected by damage to block work. We have sincere sympathy for people facing these issues both in Donegal and in other counties such as Clare, Limerick, Sligo and Mayo.

In recent times, we have been singled out in mainstream and social media because we supplied such an overwhelming number of homes in our local area. However, it cannot be overlooked that other providers have supplied blocks that developed the same problems, both in Donegal and elsewhere in the country.

We of course recognise the right to legitimate, peaceful protest. However, in recent days a number of Cassidy Bros’ employees, sub-contractors and customers have been subjected to increasing levels of wholly unwarranted intimidation and harassment.

This campaign continues to cause severe personal distress to those delivering Cassidy Bros products and those receiving them

ohooo ye absolute wankers

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah that's gonna go down well in this climate.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Why isn't the responsible company footing the bill?

I originally heard they folded the responsible company and formed a new company with the same directors and assets.
But since I've heard they've always traded as Cassidy Bros so why aren't they held legally responsible?

Construction is a sham in this country. Where I used to live in Balbriggan the homes were all being gutted and walls replaced because they had pyrite. Had to think it was a profitable scam the builders had. Make defective homes and then a decade later get paid again to completely renovate them to replace the cheap concrete.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 16, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Wonder what it would cost the gov to do proper asbestos remediation in this country. Lol that's not happening. The asbestos tiles in my roof can stay there, like furry little creatures that don't bother you unless provoked

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

The asbestos tiles in my roof can stay there, like furry little creatures that don't bother you unless provoked
Sadly Scotland turned down my proposal of an asbestos tile with 'nemo me impune lacessit' underneath as a coat of arms.

A worse day than when the American libertarians rejected my new flag design.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Marenghi posted:

Because capitalism is filled with contradictions and overt lies. No private company has footed the bill for anything in our lifetimes. Remember 2008?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Marenghi posted:

Cassidy Brothers doesn't have the insurance to cover the claims so everyone involved in the campaign knows that they cant actually foot the bill for redress, there was some civil actions that people largely dropped when that came out and the focus shifted to putting pressure on the government because of the self-cert system

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Too Big A Fuckup To Fail

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

kustomkarkommando posted:

Cassidy Brothers doesn't have the insurance to cover the claims so everyone involved in the campaign knows that they cant actually foot the bill for redress, there was some civil actions that people largely dropped when that came out and the focus shifted to putting pressure on the government because of the self-cert system

Fair enough. If the guys can't pay they should be out of a business.

The government can pick it up as self cert was a scam that let so much dodgy stuff be built. Another gift from FF in the boom.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
https://twitter.com/CMacCaba/status/1404552802022608902

Good thread on how the rental crisis in Ireland came to be.

No real surprise to anyone who's paid attention but nice to have it laid out to confirm it.

It's been by design, Fine Gael wanted people to profit off NAMA properties and encouraged REITs to buy them for renting while designed policies that kept the rent prices climbing ever upward.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
https://www.thejournal.ie/vaccine-30s-ireland-5469404-Jun2021/

Covid vaccine portal to open for people aged 35-39 from this Sunday

Will have to wait a little longer sadly.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Importantly, only 39 on Sunday, 38 on Monday etc. At least in theory, but I'm 36 and I'll be hammering the portal from Sunday AM onwards

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

:same:

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
I thought the next group was supposed to be 30-39. Why did they cut out half the age group?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Failed Imagineer posted:

Importantly, only 39 on Sunday, 38 on Monday etc. At least in theory, but I'm 36 and I'll be hammering the portal from Sunday AM onwards

This suuuuckkks

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Marenghi posted:

I thought the next group was supposed to be 30-39. Why did they cut out half the age group?

Cause those people can go gently caress themselves I guess

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Marenghi posted:

They've done this will all the cohorts.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Marenghi posted:

https://twitter.com/CMacCaba/status/1404552802022608902

Good thread on how the rental crisis in Ireland came to be.

No real surprise to anyone who's paid attention but nice to have it laid out to confirm it.

It's been by design, Fine Gael wanted people to profit off NAMA properties and encouraged REITs to buy them for renting while designed policies that kept the rent prices climbing ever upward.

Home ownership rates are still 65%+ in Ireland despite the ongoing worsening housing crisis. Most of the ~60% of the population that still votes for FF&FG&LAB & right wing INDs are home owners. People seem to forget that - the majority of the people in Ireland still do own their own home, and FF & FG keeping house prices high and rising is a key goal for these people.

FG&FF'll pay lip service in the media to the sufferings of young people in the rental market, but at the end of the day this isn't an important voting demographic for them so they'll never really care that much, or do much policy-wise to actually help.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Meanwhile up north

https://twitter.com/BBCJayneMcC/status/1405482598600691715?s=19

https://twitter.com/BBCGarethG/status/1405486070444212225?s=19

https://twitter.com/StephenNolan/status/1405498615716585477?s=19

Poots already looking like he's on thin ice

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
what's he doing? lol

I thought the whole point of the pootsch (:smug:) was to have a hardline DUP seen to be standing up to... well, everyone, now, but especially the shinners :confused:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Well now we know what Arlene was smug about I guess.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The impression I got was Poots nominates his man but only with the agreement by SF. The price of which is that the Irish Language and Ulster Scots Act has to be brought in, and if it's not brought in then Westminster will do so.
So it ends up like with Abortion where the DUP will stall it out, the Tories will force it to be brought in and the DUP can say "we never voted in this thing."

Or are the DUP voters getting smart and realizing that waiting so someone else brings in things by default is basically the same as voting for the thing in the first place.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

The impression I got was Poots nominates his man but only with the agreement by SF. The price of which is that the Irish Language and Ulster Scots Act has to be brought in, and if it's not brought in then Westminster will do so.
So it ends up like with Abortion where the DUP will stall it out, the Tories will force it to be brought in and the DUP can say "we never voted in this thing."

Or are the DUP voters getting smart and realizing that waiting so someone else brings in things by default is basically the same as voting for the thing in the first place.

That's pretty much what the secretary of state negotiated, supposedly along with a parallel Westminster path for the Armed Force Covenant as a token for the DUP.

Its still a deal the majority of the DUP reps are not happy with and the issue is Poots going against a vote of his own party reps to proceed with nomination when the rest of his party wanted to go back to continue negotiating (the deadline isn't technically until Monday so they may have wanted to get even more sweeteners). He's whole act to get elected was to re-democratise the party and move decisions back to members and reps and away from the rule by special advisor that had become the norm under Robinson/Foster so run rough shod over an absolute majority of his own MLAs is not going down well.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

crispix posted:

what's he doing? lol

I thought the whole point of the pootsch (:smug:) was to have a hardline DUP seen to be standing up to... well, everyone, now, but especially the shinners :confused:

They want a hardliner, but each of the hardliners wants themselves to be the one in charge.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

lol sounds like poots is facing a vote of no confidence tonight

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If they're stuck I heard Netanyahu is looking for a new leadership role

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That would risk the most cursed object in existence touching Irish soil.

https://twitter.com/allforthanookie/status/1402891349830033409

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I love that RTE had a TUV lad on to explain the problem :allears:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Guavanaut posted:

Christ my eyes

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I feel like it is probably easier to write a list of people that wouldn't recoil from that like a vampire from a crucifix.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/BBCJayneMcC/status/1405616685072097281?s=19

Lmao

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Is less than a month a record in NI politics? UK politics?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jvOBbP6u2o&t=19s

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Is less than a month a record in NI politics? UK politics?

100% a record for NI as far as I know. UK wide there might be one or two acting leaders who where party leader's following the top spot becoming empty, but a couple of those lasted longer than Poots even in that temporary capacity.

I'm struggling to think of someone so badly owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Be fair, he lasted over 126,000 years in Young Earther months.