Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Holy poo poo, why is he in New Richmond of all places? That's my hometown. It's just a small town about an hour east of the Twin Cities. It's not exactly a bustling hub of conservative thought, either - you gotta drive for another hour before you hit Wisconsin's true redneck territory.

I guess asking why Mike Lindell is doing anything in particular is a futile effort, but goddamn, it's weird to see the place I grew up host the saddest rally of all time.

Lindell wants to make a run for the Governor's Mansion in MN and wanted to be close enough for suburban fash to make it to his rally. Looks like it flopped.

Hope he lost his shirt on the expenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Magic Underwear posted:

For a group that calls themselves academics I was really surprised to see that there isn't actually any real argument being made here. It's basically the same fox news rhetoric as always, but much more verbose. We are the real americans, cancel culture is slavery (?), we need to go back to an unspecified old way of living, jabs at Trump's intelligence (they are academics, you see) but ultimately supporting him 100%. And man, they really have an idealized version of the founding of america. Lots of sweeping mentions of "the rights of all people" but not a word about slavery or suffrage being limited to white male property owners. Not at all convincing or even illuminating. Just a lot of generalities resulting in MAGA good, libs bad.

The quiet part is that they would really, really, really like to pull the franchise from anyone who isn't white, male, and owns less than $500k worth of property.

Which is why his argument is ultimately correct. I can't and won't accept that and anyone who does is living in a world that's ultimately incompatible with mine. Have a shithead uncle who fantasized about big buses driving into every city after Trump's election and just bussing all of the "illegals" out. I asked him if he thought that the city's residents would sit still for that and he said that he hoped they wouldn't so they could be arrested.

How do you live with that? Where is the common ground between his vision for the country and mine? There isn't one, and we should recognize that and prepare accordingly because even though they're not a majority there are still enough to cause a great deal of harm.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Yeah but there's flags on the screens so we can rest assured that it's really American and good. I bet they open with the pledge and close with the national anthem like normal, well adjusted, comfortable feeling people who can think for themselves.

Seriously this U.S. flag ubiquity is beginning to grate on me. I don't know whether to think of it as virtue signaling or what I should call it but it's hosed up because I've reached a point where I feel safe assuming with 95% certainty that whoever is flying them is probably an rear end in a top hat and that the bigger the flag most likely the bigger the rear end in a top hat. Which is kind of a shame. I've heard this is really rare in other countries (flying the nation's flag everywhere) and USA is unique in this regard.

It's "Amercia, gently caress YEAH!" writ large, and this doesn't even count all the customized ones they keep trotting out with the skulls and the blue lines and the red lines and the camo and the crosses and rifles, etc. Seems like they're trying to convince themselves more than anything.

In the development where my son lives, his house is maybe a 1/4 mile from the entrance (20 houses tops I'd say) and I count 13 flags when I drop him off. I mean, there's nothing ostensibly wrong with that but it's loving weird and feels...aggressive and showy somehow. I saw ONE pride flag the other day on that street and wondered a little about the people living there and if they catch any shade.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah but there's flags on the screens so we can rest assured that it's really American and good. I bet they open with the pledge and close with the national anthem like normal, well adjusted, comfortable feeling people who can think for themselves.

Seriously this U.S. flag ubiquity is beginning to grate on me. I don't know whether to think of it as virtue signaling or what I should call it but it's hosed up because I've reached a point where I feel safe assuming with 95% certainty that whoever is flying them is probably an rear end in a top hat and that the bigger the flag most likely the bigger the rear end in a top hat. Which is kind of a shame. I've heard this is really rare in other countries (flying the nation's flag everywhere) and USA is unique in this regard.

It's "Amercia, gently caress YEAH!" writ large, and this doesn't even count all the customized ones they keep trotting out with the skulls and the blue lines and the red lines and the camo and the crosses and rifles, etc. Seems like they're trying to convince themselves more than anything.

In the development where my son lives, his house is maybe a 1/4 mile from the entrance (20 houses tops I'd say) and I count 13 flags when I drop him off. I mean, there's nothing ostensibly wrong with that but it's loving weird and feels...aggressive and showy somehow. I saw ONE pride flag the other day on that street and wondered a little about the people living there and if they catch any shade.
It's turned from generic patriotism into becoming very fashy in the last decade or so

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's turned from generic patriotism into becoming very fashy in the last decade or so
It's been pretty fashy since 9/11, but it's been ramping up lately as part of the idea that anybody that doesn't like what America does isn't a Real American, especially in opposition to the growing domestic skepticism of the idea that America is a good country that works well and does good things.

But I mean if you want fashy symbolism...

... yeesh.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 13, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Why does their version of the flag only have eleven states?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The Lone Badger posted:

The set looks like a crackhead designed it

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Ahahaha they keep falling for it! :allears:
https://twitter.com/ZTPetrizzo/status/1403859637397565446?s=19

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The liberals in question registered under names like "Hillary Clinton" 590 times and cracklin lindel didn't have the cash to hire a screener.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They all wrote ‘Donald Trump’ on the tickets and he was very sad when it wasn’t him

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The liberals in question registered under names like "Hillary Clinton" 590 times and cracklin lindel didn't have the cash to hire a screener.

https://twitter.com/joetosha54/status/1403861905249165319

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

ANTIFA and the New black Panthers stopped people from coming to the fee speech rally.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Lone Badger posted:

The CSA flag has thirteen stars but Missouri and Kentucky never properly seceded soooo

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Georgia lost their star when they voted Biden. Now Cracker Barrel is the 11th state.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The CSA flag has thirteen stars but Missouri and Kentucky never properly seceded soooo

There are eleven states in the SEC though!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Magic Underwear posted:

For a group that calls themselves academics I was really surprised to see that there isn't actually any real argument being made here. It's basically the same fox news rhetoric as always, but much more verbose. We are the real americans, cancel culture is slavery (?), we need to go back to an unspecified old way of living, jabs at Trump's intelligence (they are academics, you see) but ultimately supporting him 100%. And man, they really have an idealized version of the founding of america. Lots of sweeping mentions of "the rights of all people" but not a word about slavery or suffrage being limited to white male property owners. Not at all convincing or even illuminating. Just a lot of generalities resulting in MAGA good, libs bad.
There was a good "know your enemy" podcast about the West Coast Straussians, though the role of conservative "intellectuals" in the power ecosystem has started to approach zero and billionaires and ideologues seem more interested in just poisoning the intellectual well at the source these days. Anyway, it's "academic" in the good and bad sense; two minutes worth of the most fear-mongering Tucker Carlson clips will tell you a million times more about actual political dynamics these days.
https://know-your-enemy-1682b684.simplecast.com/episodes/unlocked-midnight-in-the-garden-of-american-heroes

You're right that there is no real argument there, of course. I think the reason Claremont were the first to go pro-Trump was an animating force of theirs is rejecting a "false conservatism"--like Jaffa though "originalists" were wrong because the REAL founding document goes back further, to the Declaration, which helps them in that idealized stuff and they push it to the point that they dump slavery etc. on fake conservatives and progressives. So Trump turning the republicans to ash in the primary fit in spiritually even if the arguments about natural rights etc. are all incoherent.

edit: Oh also the "people need to be lied to" part fits pretty well for Trumpism, though I think that's Straussian in general / not west coast

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 13, 2021

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

You need to be much more specific.

Tyrus. gently caress that guy.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't think all right wingers want me and my loved ones dead.

I have a brother who says liberalism is a mental disorder. There's only one way this ends up.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Doctor Butts posted:

I have a brother who says liberalism is a mental disorder. There's only one way this ends up.

That one always gets me. Like, not wanting entire sections of the population to be disenfranchised is a sign of mental illness?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
"I just think everyone deserves a well-paying job and health care/education"

'Lol look at the brain worms on this one!'

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
A bunch of kids on tumblr got a little silly about using therapy language, and now I’m okay with letting Nazis killing people.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

FilthyImp posted:

"I just think everyone deserves a well-paying job and health care/education"

'Lol look at the brain worms on this one!'

Literally reality.

https://twitter.com/RMTiede/status/1403436865517232132?s=19

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
On a similar note, I’m just waiting for the right wing narrative to adopt the stance of “if someone was laid off during Covid, were they really that hard of a worker?”. Seems like another good way of gating off decent jobs from more of the population.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

HD DAD posted:

On a similar note, I’m just waiting for the right wing narrative to adopt the stance of “if someone was laid off during Covid, were they really that hard of a worker?”. Seems like another good way of gating off decent jobs from more of the population.

I got laid off for contracting covid while working a second part-time job cooking in a hospital during the height of the april crisis. Great times.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

FlamingLiberal posted:

To non-Americans it has always been kind of creepy and offputting how much Americans (generic 'Americans', I'm not calling you out) love their flag and their sense of national superiority.

The words 'American exceptionalism' have been a joke up here for as long as I have been old and knowledgeable enough to get it - not because we think America is obviously worse at everything than Canada (it isn't) but just because of how much the American media and politicians like to advertise that they are better.

Prism fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 15, 2021

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Prism posted:

To non-Americans it has always been kind of creepy and offputting how much Americans (generic 'Americans', I'm not calling you out) love their flag and their sense of national superiority.

The words 'American exceptionalism' have been a joke up here for as long as I have been old and knowledgeable enough to get it - not because we think America is obviously worse at everything than Canada (it isn't) but just because of how much the American media and politicians like to advertise that they are better.

Growing up with it it was less of a sense of American Exceptionalism and more of a broader civic religion. The ideals of "freedom" and "democracy" were embodied in symbols of which the flag was the most prominent. That wore off for me in the 90s when I was in my teens and Newt Gingrich and his crew came to power and I've felt that the flag became more of a right-wing thing since. Didn't help that 9/11 really started some extremely bad and stupid poo poo.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The flag lapel pins were a definite warning sign.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Prism posted:

Canada is the only country I've seen with as many flags as the US

Also as many "support the troops/appuyez nos troupes" bumper stickers.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 15, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Canada is the only country I've seen with as many flags as the US

We fly our flag a lot in Denmark, basically any excuse or occasion will do. We put it on cakes and hats, wave it at festive events, you cannot go anywhere in Denmark without seeing a Danish flag.

It doesn't have the same nationalistic implications as hardcore flag-waving Americans*, for a long time our flag has been just as much a flag of the people as it has been the national flag. We use use it mostly to express joy and celebration, it is a standard part of any birthday celebration. Tegrettably a certain segment of the population want to turn it into an explicitly nationalist symbol, but they are facing resistance from ordinary people, who refuse to let our symbol of joyous celebration be tainted by nationalism.

Which leads to situations like nationalist protests full of people waving Danish flags, being counter-protested by people who are also waving the Danish flag.

* Or Germans, for that matter. My girlfriend was shocked at how much the flag is used here. In Germany that would be a huge no-no, unless you're a die-hard nationalist you just don't fly the flag like that.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 15, 2021

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

I'm not sure if there's any other country with the equivalent of what's happening in the U.S. but things have been getting even creepier with regard to flag waving. I know it's been mentioned here before but a lot of right-wingers aren't even flying the actual American flag anymore. It's some variant of "TRUMP" and blue lives matter, in that order and the in-your-face fascists (usually the younger chuds) are putting up American flag Punisher skulls. My wife and I took our son to the local lake on Memorial Day to splash around for a bit. We go to an area that's popular with weekend campers. After we were there a while another family pulled in beside us and set up camp. When they were done, the guy proudly raised a Trump flag onto his trailer camper that features an idealized/muscular Trump holding a machine gun equipped with an RPG. No actual American flag anywhere. The notion that he was flying the flag of a guy who notoriously dodged the Vietnam draft was being flown in lieu of an American flag on the very day we honor our dead soldiers didn't ever occur to this guy. And this isn't any isolated incident. Deep in chudville here it's becoming the norm. The guy up the street from us flies an upside-down flag because he thinks Biden is an illegitimate usurper.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

tek79 posted:

Trump flag onto his trailer camper that features an idealized/muscular Trump holding a machine gun equipped with an RPG.

What an iconographic clusterfuck

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

KozmoNaut posted:

We fly our flag a lot in Denmark, basically any excuse or occasion will do. We put it on cakes and hats, wave it at festive events, you cannot go anywhere in Denmark without seeing a Danish flag.

It doesn't have the same nationalistic implications as hardcore flag-waving Americans*, for a long time our flag has been just as much a flag of the people as it has been the national flag. We use use it mostly to express joy and celebration, it is a standard part of any birthday celebration. Tegrettably a certain segment of the population want to turn it into an explicitly nationalist symbol, but they are facing resistance from ordinary people, who refuse to let our symbol of joyous celebration be tainted by nationalism.

Which leads to situations like nationalist protests full of people waving Danish flags, being counter-protested by people who are also waving the Danish flag.

* Or Germans, for that matter. My girlfriend was shocked at how much the flag is used here. In Germany that would be a huge no-no, unless you're a die-hard nationalist you just don't fly the flag like that.

Do you think american or canadian flags aren't used to express joy and celebration as well as by the fash?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Nonsense posted:

Tyrus. gently caress that guy.

He's still on Fox? I guess nothing came of the harassment complaint from Britt McHenry a few years ago. She said he sent her really lewd text messages.

quote:

“Just pull your boobs out now why don’t you. Just grin and bare it”
“keep being negative and I’ll send you another dick pic.”
“I love the fact your always working if we ever had sex I feel like after an orgazzum you say speaking of feeling good did see the story on the puppy rescue we should do a segment on it hand me my phone.”
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fox-news-tyrus-britt-mchenry-text_n_5d277b6ce4b02a5a5d57cd13

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

tek79 posted:

I'm not sure if there's any other country with the equivalent of what's happening in the U.S. but things have been getting even creepier with regard to flag waving. I know it's been mentioned here before but a lot of right-wingers aren't even flying the actual American flag anymore. It's some variant of "TRUMP" and blue lives matter, in that order and the in-your-face fascists (usually the younger chuds) are putting up American flag Punisher skulls. My wife and I took our son to the local lake on Memorial Day to splash around for a bit. We go to an area that's popular with weekend campers. After we were there a while another family pulled in beside us and set up camp. When they were done, the guy proudly raised a Trump flag onto his trailer camper that features an idealized/muscular Trump holding a machine gun equipped with an RPG. No actual American flag anywhere. The notion that he was flying the flag of a guy who notoriously dodged the Vietnam draft was being flown in lieu of an American flag on the very day we honor our dead soldiers didn't ever occur to this guy. And this isn't any isolated incident. Deep in chudville here it's becoming the norm. The guy up the street from us flies an upside-down flag because he thinks Biden is an illegitimate usurper.

Fash got a head start on waking up and organizing because they had Fox and right-wing radio and the racism-normalizing of the Obama years to gel them together. Add to the fact that no one expected Trump and his victory gave them a big boost.

Our media is weak and feckless and the Trump crowd has more or less moved completely outside the realm of reality anyway so there's no real way to reach them. Only advantages we have are that they're incredibly stupid people who constantly overestimate themselves, police murders have been getting a lot of attention which is radicalizing libs, and Trump himself is old and ruthlessly self-centered.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Do you think american or canadian flags aren't used to express joy and celebration as well as by the fash?

Of course they are, but in my experience something like a completely flag-filled birthday party is something people in the US do as a theme, but not the default. In Danmark, a birthday party with no flags would feel weird and out of place. We put little paper flag picks in everything, all the drat time, line the hedges with flags, hang them from any place a line can be strung. That part is similar to the US, at least.

But it doesn't have quite the same nationalistic undertone that American flag-waving has. Not yet, at least. That's the difference I want to get at, we wave the flag all the time, but not as a "Denmark #1!" or something we pledge allegiance to, most people don't even think consciously about it being the symbol of a nation state, so we don't wave it around as a symbol of our country, it's just something we wave around when we're happy.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 15, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Today Dennis Prager says it was hypocritical to name a school Columbia if Columbus is banned.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Today Dennis Prager says it was hypocritical to name a school Columbia if Columbus is banned.
Yes there is definitely no other historical use of Columbia in the US at all, thanks Dennis.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

It's all so exhausting dealing with these idiotic binary slippery slope arguments. "We should teach the reality of Columbus's behavior? Well then I guess we have to toss 300+ years of the Spirit of Columbia/Personification of America motifs and white wash everything."

Eh? No, no one is saying that. Teaching that Columbus was who he was is not banning Columbus and also not implying anything else about anything else.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

HootTheOwl posted:

K.

Here in MN they're going to pay to have the one that was torn down last year repaired and put back. Reading the political tea leaves it seems that State GOP leaders want to do something to show the rubes back home that they're spitting in the face of BLM and they're willing to trade horses to do it.

Leftists here don't really mind. They can put a statue back up but unless it's got a 24/7 guard we're just going to tear it down again.

There was some idea of replacing the Columbus statue with a statue of Prince which would've been a good idea because Prince loved the Twin Cities and we loved him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Have Columbus's balls getting crushed underfoot by Prince and his extremely phallic guitar