Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Morpheus posted:

Someone asked if this was going to be a slightly longer Super Metroid game. Someone also cited Hollow Knight being better because it's 30 hours (HK is excellent, but not because of the length). There are absolutely people saying that.

But nobody is saying it's better *just* because of the length. Rather that you can make a game of great quality that is also longer. And that, in a competitive free market, they see that as a better value. And, even further, they would prefer if companies that are vying for their dollars try to do the same thing or - if it's going to be shorter - maybe pricing it a little less.

There's never going to be one standard of value to rule them all. But in a world where there are great games at 10 hours that AREN'T full priced and great games at 30 hours that ARE full priced.... it's not ridiculous to hope that devs will put more into their games (of quality content... we're not talking AC poo poo) *or* price them competitively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I know it was a few days ago we were talking about it, but Mario Rabbids is on sale on the eShop (gold edition linked with all the DLC) for $14.99.

Many other things on sale too.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Foul Fowl posted:

i don't think anyone said that but someone said they weren't happy paying full price if the game was like 8 hours long and someone else said hollow knight is both cheaper and longer, and that all this thread needed to start posting about how they're going to own that guy with their credit cards and if they don't EA and Ubisoft are going to turn all video games into far cry sequels

They deserve to be owned.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Can’t wait to buy SMTV and play as the most beautiful man in the world

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Stux posted:

im going to play the game haha

I was excited for the game but this thread is starting to make me hate it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

BonoMan posted:

But nobody is saying it's better *just* because of the length. Rather that you can make a game of great quality that is also longer. And that, in a competitive free market, they see that as a better value. And, even further, they would prefer if companies that are vying for their dollars try to do the same thing or - if it's going to be shorter - maybe pricing it a little less.

There's never going to be one standard of value to rule them all. But in a world where there are great games at 10 hours that AREN'T full priced and great games at 30 hours that ARE full priced.... it's not ridiculous to hope that devs will put more into their games (of quality content... we're not talking AC poo poo) *or* price them competitively.

hahaha

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Just so we're clear, Hollow Knight can be beat in a little over half an hour

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

So it seems they are just kind of ignoring the ending of Fusions

it's understandable that they may not want to ever mention Adam again

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

MajinObama does let's plays now?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

hatty posted:

Can’t wait to buy SMTV and play as the most beautiful man in the world

'Forbidden creature' = femboy apparently?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

My local target always has a huge stack of those Mario game and watch consoles in stock. Are people actually buying those? I would pay 10 bucks for the Zelda one on clearance.

I was literally about to ask that. I hate 90% of nostalgia bait nerd crap but I’d keep one of these as a bedside table clock if it weren’t like $50

Also:

Stux posted:

im going to buy mario party 64 game, advance wars 1 and 2 remaster, warioware and metroid dread for full price

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I said come in! posted:

lol at that frame rate and graphic fidelity. Hyrule Warriors 2 is not at all playable on Switch.

I beat the game, it's playable

PneumonicBook posted:

Yea Metroid Dread doesnt look like its for me. Instant deaths from the terrifying robot constantly chasing you is not the kind of stress I want from a Metroid haha. Probably why I never played Fusion either. Much prefer something more like Super Metroid or Bloodstained/Symphony of the Night.

Note: The Evil Within showed an instant death ghost that goons slam decided followed you the entire game. It did not. Maybe wait for more than a short trailer before deciding this is a mechanic

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I guess I should have put "drooling dogmatic Nintendo fans aside" as a disclaimer.

But you also used "fail" and "[company] won e3" unironically so... I'm definitely not trying to appeal to you.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

sounds like a brain thing

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

BonoMan posted:

I guess I should have put "drooling dogmatic Nintendo fans aside" as a disclaimer.

But you also used "fail" and "[company] won e3" unironically so... I'm definitely not trying to appeal to you.

this guy is really fail. cringe too honestly

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

BonoMan posted:

but nintendo did win e3

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Stux posted:

sounds like a brain thing

Half and half

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

Len posted:

I beat the game, it's playable

Note: The Evil Within showed an instant death ghost that goons slam decided followed you the entire game. It did not. Maybe wait for more than a short trailer before deciding this is a mechanic

They said there's a robot in each area and the initial goal is getting a single shot powerup to take care of it so you can keep exploring, but also if you do the QTE right you can knock it away and keep running. Sounds like it's gonna be a big thing.

People ended up liking SA-X though so it's not unprecedented.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

this thread makes people hate everything, themselves, and life

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

Morpheus posted:

Just so we're clear, Hollow Knight can be beat in a little over half an hour

Does this mean Hollow Knight is not of a better value than Metroid Dread anymore?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

monstie huntie stories 2 looks okay. maybe i'll play the demo at some point

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Harrow posted:

dunkey didn't like FF7R either so he's always wrong

Xenoblade 2.......... is good

Xenoblade is a fun series but also a lot of those Dunkey critiques aren't necessarily wrong. XC2 is horny.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
isn't dunkey a piece of poo poo

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
it's pretty fair to say if any company other than nintendo tried to release a 2.5D platformer for $60 in 2021 they'd be raked over the fuckin coals over it. i also think nintendo couldn't get away with it if it wasn't attached to metroid.

like, Bloodstained was $40 and that had the pedigree of the other half of the phrase "metroidvania" behind it, yknow? totally fair to look at this game and think it's kinda weird to drop $60 on a 2D metroidvania in a world full of $15-40 games in this genre

not even talking about hour count really because no one gives a poo poo about that, really just expectations of the price points of games in certain genres

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Veev posted:

They deserve to be owned.

who?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Willo567 posted:

isn't dunkey a piece of poo poo

He's a famous YouTube man so probably?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i'm not gonna pay 60$ to only get 2 of the 3 Ds i deserve

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was and is good, fukc u

You shut your whore mouth

In all seriousness, I would have liked XC2 better if it wasn't waifu-bait and removed the gacha elements completely.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Gripweed posted:

What a genuinely dumb thing to say "I want games to last for a long time but if I intentionally try to beat it as fast as possible, read walkthroughs and looks up all the tips for skipping sections of the game, I can beat it in a very short time" Then just don't do that, jesus Christ.

uh i'm not complaining. i'm just pointing out that most metroid games are designed to be beaten quickly, not extra long like the quoted poster said. i love metroid games and i'll be getting this one. eat poo poo

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I'm definitely one of the people, if not THE person that started asking about Metroid's length (ehehehe). It's insane to me that the first thing people do when I say I'm hesitant to spend $60 on an 8 hour 2D l
platformer is immediately assume I only play Assassin's Creed and I want all my games to 200+ hours.

But there's other equally good or better $60 games to buy that aren't only 8 hours. So, that's all I was saying? Like I'd be far more likely to buy Mario Golf or SMT V is all.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

The guy on the other end of my credit card.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
What other genres deserve/don't deserve to be $60? Adding this to my checklist when deciding what games deserve my money.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

abraham linksys posted:

it's pretty fair to say if any company other than nintendo tried to release a 2.5D platformer for $60 in 2021 they'd be raked over the fuckin coals over it. i also think nintendo couldn't get away with it if it wasn't attached to metroid.

like, Bloodstained was $40 and that had the pedigree of the other half of the phrase "metroidvania" behind it, yknow? totally fair to look at this game and think it's kinda weird to drop $60 on a 2D metroidvania in a world full of $15-40 games in this genre

not even talking about hour count really because no one gives a poo poo about that, really just expectations of the price points of games in certain genres

Ratchet and Clank is a platformer with guns and came out for 70 dollars USD. Why does the third dimension justify a huge price.

Edit: I can't believe Microsoft is expecting people to pay full price for a first person shooter? In a world where I can get an fps for like 20 bucks max, what's even the point.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Veev posted:

The guy on the other end of my credit card.

u mean nintendo?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

b_d posted:

uh i'm not complaining. i'm just pointing out that most metroid games are designed to be beaten quickly, not extra long like the quoted poster said. i love metroid games and i'll be getting this one. eat poo poo

They are designed to be beaten quickly on like your third playthrough. The whole point of Metroid games is that you explore around and find stuff and get lost on your first playthrough.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Long-Time Lurker posted:

What other genres deserve/don't deserve to be $60? Adding this to my checklist when deciding what games deserve my money.

Interestingly it's a discussion about people and their varying levels of what they want to spend money on. Nobody is trying to create a standard objective rule of value.

I know you're joking, but honestly that's pretty much the trajectory of this thread.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

GI_Clutch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afUI8nIrGgI

So, is this going to be like Zelda where people complain about forced stealth segments?

Listen adding horror elements to Metroid is a okay by me

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Long-Time Lurker posted:

gal gun

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

abraham linksys posted:

The genre is literally "Games that are like Metroid" so you can't complain too much about games that are Metroid being the most highly valued of the lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Morpheus posted:

Ratchet and Clank is a platformer with guns and came out for 70 dollars USD. Why does the third dimension justify a huge price.

Edit: I can't believe Microsoft is expecting people to pay full price for a first person shooter? In a world where I can get an fps for like 20 bucks max, what's even the point.

i'm gonna invent 4D games so I can charge $200 for them