Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm scheduled to get Pfizer shot #1 in two weeks, assuming that they don't gently caress up and use up all the doses before then. Here in Melbourne they've got enough doses to fulfill the current batch of appointments but that's all so they've had to stop making more bookings for Pfizer shots, which means no one under 50 can make a new booking for the foreseeable future.

The good news is that there were no new reported cases of local spread yesterday and the day before that there were only 2 local cases, and both of them were close contacts of an earlier case so they were already in quarantine.
https://twitter.com/VicGovDH/status/1404568113270689795

The bad news is that the vaccine rollout has nosedived and last week's numbers were way down on the previous week. That'll partly be due to the federal government loving up the supply but I'm guessing the initial panic over the outbreak has subsided now that it's looking like we've got it under control so people are getting complacent again.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-02/charting-australias-covid-vaccine-rollout/13197518?nw=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

China should have to pay an indemnity to all the countries it hosed up with COVID imo.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I was meant to fly up to the Kimberley in remote Western Australia this week because I have some family from Perth going up there for a trip doing camping and four-wheel driving etc, which I've been really looking forward to after a heavy six months of work and my last semester of uni, and also because when else am I ever going to go there plus I haven't seen most of my family since 2019... but of course we had a small outbreak in Melbourne recently and WA's border remains closed (unless you want to quarantine for two weeks) to any state that's had any community transmission in the previous 14 days. So that's scratched.

And I know millions of people all over the world have died, and tens or hundreds of millions have had restrictions on their freedoms even more so than anyone in Melbourne, and this is 100% first world problems, but the timing of it just really loving sucked. If the outbreak had occurred even a few weeks in either direction, I would have either already been over there, or we would've got back to 14 days of no transmission. That's my vent, cheers.

(Also I can understand and in fact still even support WA's harsh border policies - my personal travel and seeing my family is not as important as 2.5 million people living like it's 2019 for the past 18 months, and continuing to do so - but gently caress me dead, do the polite thing and turn off the targeted Tourism WA ads for browsers with IP addresses in Victoria.)

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My company just announced that masks are now optional in the office for all vaccinated employees, and it's a code of conduct warning if you're caught without a mask and unvaccinated.

This is all on the honor system lol. You can report someone you think is unvaccinated and not wearing a mask, but good luck with that actually doing anything.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

A Fancy Hat posted:

This is all on the honor system lol.

I feel that if they're going to base the PPE system on Bushido you should at least get to challenge the liars to a duel and stab them with your hanzo steel

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I feel that if they're going to base the PPE system on Bushido you should at least get to challenge the liars to a duel and stab them with your hanzo steel

There's a small group of anti-vaxxers in my office. They're vocal, management absolutely knows that they will not be getting the vaccine. This will be an interesting week for sure.

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

A Fancy Hat posted:

There's a small group of anti-vaxxers in my office. They're vocal, management absolutely knows that they will not be getting the vaccine. This will be an interesting week for sure.

AFH sighed as he drew his katana

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
ITT: ancient arguments for PPE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m-c4GixUpg

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
In a shocking new development it turns out that having to wear a facemask is actually NOT as bad as being put in a Nazi concentration camp, which was big news for certain people who apparently weren't aware that The Holocaust was actually very very bad.

https://twitter.com/AndrewSolender/status/1404561740365537283

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

freebooter posted:

(Also I can understand and in fact still even support WA's harsh border policies - my personal travel and seeing my family is not as important as 2.5 million people living like it's 2019 for the past 18 months, and continuing to do so - but gently caress me dead, do the polite thing and turn off the targeted Tourism WA ads for browsers with IP addresses in Victoria.)

State of Victoria, but she’s under the Kensington System.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1404744679028051968

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t1IK_9apWs

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

A Fancy Hat posted:

My company just announced that masks are now optional in the office for all vaccinated employees, and it's a code of conduct warning if you're caught without a mask and unvaccinated.

This is all on the honor system lol. You can report someone you think is unvaccinated and not wearing a mask, but good luck with that actually doing anything.

A Fancy Hat posted:

Heeey, I see you and I work at the same office. We dropped our mask mandate July 1st, so anyone fully vaccinated no longer needs to wear one, while the first shotters and unvaccinated still need to wear masks at all times.

I work with two dopes who aren’t anti-vaxxers, but one is hesitant to get the shot because “vaccinations and/or the flu shot always gently caress me up something terrible!” and the other is a chud who will only get the shot if it becomes mandatory for everyone at work to get one. It’s a matter of “my body, my choice” with him lol.

You can take a guess as to who they both voted for this past election :lmao:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

We're rolling out our COVID Certificate app now in Switzerland, it should be compatible with the European Digital COVID Certificate system that will start being used July 1st. My vaxx status is already loaded into my phone and I'm looking forward to flashing it at any events that will keep the unvaxxed out! Who am I kidding though, the Swiss are loving nuts about their freedums and I really doubt anyone wants to deal with the same people who have been protesting lockdowns on streets that are full of open shops and shoppers. There's a really unhinged segment of the population here going off about government control and freedom and the constitution and nobody wants to do anything about it at all.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

greazeball posted:

We're rolling out our COVID Certificate app now in Switzerland, it should be compatible with the European Digital COVID Certificate system that will start being used July 1st. My vaxx status is already loaded into my phone and I'm looking forward to flashing it at any events that will keep the unvaxxed out! Who am I kidding though, the Swiss are loving nuts about their freedums and I really doubt anyone wants to deal with the same people who have been protesting lockdowns on streets that are full of open shops and shoppers. There's a really unhinged segment of the population here going off about government control and freedom and the constitution and nobody wants to do anything about it at all.

I was unaware we imported "democracy" into Switzerland but hey at least we didn't bomb you guys to do it, I guess. Sorry about the chuds.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The time I hit 106 I felt surprisingly okay - I mean, I knew I had a fever, but I have felt way worse with lower temperatures. I went to the emergency room for that one, and they put me on a saline drip and covered me in damp towels and pointed fans at me to bring my body temperature down. It sucked. After a few hours my temperature came down and the ER doc said that he'd usually admit me for observation for a fever that high but I seemed pretty okay so he discharged me - for whatever reason I tolerated a dangerously high fever well, which has made me pay more attention and break out the thermometer more readily since then. I don't like the idea I could just feel a bit crappy while my brain cooks itself.

We brought our daugther to the ER the other day since she was showing over 104 temp and had trouble breathing. But the doc said fever is not dangerous until 108 and that's super rare.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

We brought our daugther to the ER the other day since she was showing over 104 temp and had trouble breathing. But the doc said fever is not dangerous until 108 and that's super rare.

My understanding is that at 108 the fever itself may cause brain damage. It is still generally recommended that you contact a doctor if your fever goes over 103; the heat of the fever at that level isn't dangerous, but whatever is causing the fever may be.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

that's some impressively lovely advice from a doctor. I'm sorry. Is kiddo feelin' better?

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

that's some impressively lovely advice from a doctor.

New thread title imo

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

In a shocking new development it turns out that having to wear a facemask is actually NOT as bad as being put in a Nazi concentration camp, which was big news for certain people who apparently weren't aware that The Holocaust was actually very very bad.

https://twitter.com/AndrewSolender/status/1404561740365537283

I bet she thought the museum was where the Holocaust took place.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Today is 14 days after my second vaccine. Yesterday my office made me sign a thing legally stating that I have been fully vaccinated for 2 weeks. But they didn't ask for any proof. Just me agreeing that it happened.

They still aren't asking anyone to show up in the offices, at least. At most, some of the upper people are volunteering to go a few times a week, and telling others we can if we want. And also that they will pay for half the cost of pizza for anyone that does show up :downs:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

gohuskies posted:

Do you believe that I am safer or less safe than I was 6 months ago? I think I am safer but perhaps some people might think that my risk is still super high despite my own and my community's vaccination.

*society that's driving its car into a concrete pylon* "Do you believe my seat belt makes me safer or not?"

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Execs at my job are pushing to get everybody back full time by the end of June, the type of people who don't by any means have to be held to those same rules and are almost never actually in the office. The development branch of my company is really the only one still working from home, partially because they can, but also because they pretty much do what they want lol. I do QA and have a whole lab set up at my home so I'm good here too but they are trying so hard to bring people back.

When I was there last week first thing my boss said was "we're all vaccinated here you don't need to wear that mask in here". I obliged because literally nobody else was wearing a mask and I'm still new to the dept so I didn't want to be weird about it. I'm not particularly concerned about myself but there was another dept in the building who would walk through our area masked every time and it made me feel like such an rear end in a top hat.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Hello from Florida, where mask discipline is best observed by children. .I wish I was joking.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sjs00 posted:

Hello from Florida, where mask discipline is best observed by children. .I wish I was joking.

At the stores I go to in Fort Lauderdale, masks still massively outnumber unmasked. It’s a genuine surprise.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Oh brother

Who loving knows how it happened. It absolutely could have leaked WE DONT KNOW

He could be right, lol that you patronize him.

He's been right about a lot of poo poo

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Spinz posted:

Oh brother

Who loving knows how it happened. It absolutely could have leaked WE DONT KNOW

It also really doesn’t matter.

It seems like people are looking for a villain and someone to pin all the blame on. Even if we had definitive proof that it was a leak what would that change? Not a drat thing.

I

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

MarcusSA posted:

It seems like people are looking for a villain and someone to pin all the blame on. Even if we had definitive proof that it was a leak what would that change? Not a drat thing.

I
You are absolutely right.

I don't intend to start a derail. I think we may never know for sure. Certainly we don't know now

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

The only interesting thing about the lab leak theory imo is how it went from a dangerous racist conspiracy theory that would get you banned from social media to An Open Question That Merits Further Investigation sometime in early January.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

MarcusSA posted:

I

What would it change? Well maybe people will get vaccinated to own the Chinese, optimistically
my thoughts; if it were a bioweapon its targeting our Healthcare system and doing good work. RNs are paid less than McDonald's workers so go figure.
The true origin of this thing is mildly important in getting people informed enough to consider taking the vaccine. Wanting to know the true origin of this pandemic is not a ridiculous request, its just not a priority for most but the most skeptical.
Its also hilarious if the narrative becomes 'China did it!' because they have now admitted COVID is real ill drink to that baby

Sjs00 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 15, 2021

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

it's loving stupid and gaining traction because of their usual method of getting these bullshit stories off the ground. repeating it over and over and over again despite being shown to have been making garbage up wholesale the entire time

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

drat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANRs4DojOek

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Are you telling me that a research center for studying viruses that originate in bats, had bats inside??

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

PIZZA.BAT posted:

it's loving stupid and gaining traction because of their usual method of getting these bullshit stories off the ground. repeating it over and over and over again despite being shown to have been making garbage up wholesale the entire time

And lab leak or no, the bigger implication (that this was an engineered virus/some kind of bioweapon) is demonstrably false because if it were actually engineered then we wouldn't be seeing the more effective variants coming out.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

It's terrifying to think that a random set of circumstances could create a similar pandemic, I think that's why so many people want the lab leak to be true. Then you can say "Ohhh it's China's fault, that won't happen again, let's hold them accountable for it!"

Same reason you get so many conspiracies around JFK's assassination and whatnot. One random guy with a gun can kill the President. That's terrifying. But if it's a huge interconnected conspiracy theory involving the mob and the Vice President and stuff? Well, that's so complex, there's a reason behind it!

Plus it absolves leader's of their piss-poor leadership during the pandemic. 600,000 Americans are dead and I think you could conservatively say at least half of them are dead directly from Trump's press conferences and politicizing of masks, plus how many more from decisions made at state and local levels? But you suddenly turn this into a bio-weapon? Well, you're not the bad guy any more. China is!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sjs00 posted:

my thoughts; if it were a bioweapon its targeting our Healthcare system and doing good work. RNs are paid less than McDonald's workers so go figure.

You either know some impressively poorly paid RNs or impressively well paid McDonald’s workers.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

For me it's a simple issue of geography, it's not about laying blame less blame anything like that. Our scientists and labs could also have an accident whatever.
I understand Qrazies have been saying it amongst their tsunami of bullshit which is unfortunate. Lab leak doesn't mean bio weapon to depopulate the Earth blah blah blah

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You either know some impressively poorly paid RNs or impressively well paid McDonald’s workers.

My state is nothing if not impressive

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

LanceHunter posted:

And lab leak or no, the bigger implication (that this was an engineered virus/some kind of bioweapon) is demonstrably false because if it were actually engineered then we wouldn't be seeing the more effective variants coming out.

This doesn't follow at all.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Spinz posted:

For me it's a simple issue of geography, it's not about laying blame less blame anything like that. Our scientists and labs could also have an accident whatever.
I understand Qrazies have been saying it amongst their tsunami of bullshit which is unfortunate. Lab leak doesn't mean bio weapon to depopulate the Earth blah blah blah

of course not. they just have to, 'just ask questions' about it over and over while not really saying anything at all and letting their audience run away to their own conclusions. they have no reason to be 'just asking' these questions- because everything we see if well explained by, you know, every other pandemic that's ever happened. this one is just so suspicious though they just can't put their finger on it. don't pay attention to your own leadership politicizing and completely loving up the response to this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
So weird how the thing epidemiologists have been specifically warning us about for decades happened despite us doing nothing to prevent it, it must be a conspiracy.