Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What E3 announcement are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Star Citizen suddenly released 14 6.36%
Nintendo unveils the Switch Pro, Metroid Prime 4 is exclusive 27 12.27%
Bethesda announces Fallout 5, Todd somehow entirely forgets about Elder Scrolls 6 and is surprised to be asked about it by interviewers 32 14.55%
Bowsette is real and thinks you're doing okay 121 55.00%
Square Enix retroactively cancels your least favorite Final Fantasy game 26 11.82%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

So I've been playing a lot of The Last Spell with my friends lately and the main reason I think the game's metaprogression is annoying is that it's impossible for any of us to compare how we're doing because everyone has different levels of poo poo unlocked, so someone says "wow I dont know how the gently caress you're supposed to play past day 8 with only four characters" and everyone else is like "oh eventually you'll unlock enough stuff to where you're making tons of money and can buy all six characters by day six." That's one of the things, conversely, I like about Nocturne - everyone has the exact same set of tools and it's fun to see who has trouble where.

Dark Souls is a game that, because of all its systems, just doesn't have a consistent difficulty curve between players. Player knowledge of the game's systems is going to contribute a huge amount and can significantly compensate for mechanical skill. Like, I was fighting Iron Golem on stream and I was in a million year slugfest and COULD NOT win, and then someone pops in and says "your weapon is awful you need to upgrade it a ton" and so I do that and I absolutely clown him the next attempt. Then thinking about any trouble I've had up to that point and thinking, drat, could I have just made this game a million times easier if I had done this sooner? As soon as I hit Anor Londo and got to the blacksmith I maxed out a Silver Knight Straight Sword and once I beat O/S I died like six times the rest of the game, beating a fair number of bosses like Centipede and 4kings and Nito in one try.

On the other hand, Sekiro is really consistent. Pretty much every player is going to be doing the exact same amount of damage to every boss because almost every damage/healing upgrade is given through the main game progression, and so every boss is going to be a skill check. There's no equivalent of "I was having trouble so I leveled up my weapon until I started doing 3x the damage I was doing before and now the game is easy"

Yeah this is why I love Sekiro. Get rid of levels, get rid of different weapons and magic and armor sets, just the purity of you and a katana and knowing that you need to pull this poo poo off. No doubts.

But I don't know how you do Sekiro swordfighting in co-op, design wise it just doesn't really work? So I think Elden Ring is going to be more like Dark Souls (but probably with a tweaked parry system?) but that's fine by me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
iggy's reckin balls was dope

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

more like... cont-rarity-ian...

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
it's... beautiful

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There's a web pvp version of Advance Wars!

https://awbw.amarriner.com/

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7khlGqMHLQ

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just tried this Pathway game out on Game Pass and FTL + XCOM + Indiana Jones sounds really cool but the game itself isn't, unfortunately

It reminds me of Expeditions Conquistador where it'd be a fun and cool little game if the combat didn't exist

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RBA Starblade posted:

I just tried this Pathway game out on Game Pass and FTL + XCOM + Indiana Jones sounds really cool but the game itself isn't, unfortunately

I had fun with it, but like with FTL I got my fill pretty fast.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only pathways I care about are into darkness

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

haveblue posted:

The only pathways I care about are into darkness

:hmmyes:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Khanstant posted:

There's a web pvp version of Advance Wars!

https://awbw.amarriner.com/

advance wars by web is cool and I'm glad it's still around

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Played some Okami for the first time in ages, grinded up the Devil Claws I needed to get the Water Tablet then got a few more beads then wound in a Devils Gate trial without realising how hard it would be and noped out just before the end cause I thought I had no healing items. Turned out I had tons and exiting resets your progress in the trial :negative:

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Jay Rust posted:

This convinced me

That's a good question. Where is my capitalist god, now?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ChickenMedium posted:

That's a good question. Where is my capitalist god, now?

In a bitcoin warehouse, sitting on a huge stack of almost-worn-out GPUs, making listings on ebay and laughing

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Looper posted:

im so happy

I'm right here with you :hfive:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Advanced wars looks like it's gonna ask me for my credit card when I fail a mission

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

hatty posted:

iggy's reckin balls was dope

it owned. doesn't play anything like any other game ever made so most ppl didn't give it a fair chance but it's real fun once you get the hang of it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Iggy's Reckin Balls is the worst birthday present I ever had

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i am replaying half life 2 for the first time probably since it was released, i'm having a great time, that flat-line sound when you kill a combine never gets old and its just a very direct and digestible game thats fun to experience

Don't forget to reload, Dr. Freeman

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hey. you're enjoying hl2 now...... wait until
you get to ravenholm 🤪

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

why. is it a bad level. should i skip it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stux posted:

why. is it a bad level. should i skip it

Yeah, it's really scary and there's a spooky graveyard and a skeleton in it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ravenholm is great and awful at the same time

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maybe don’t name your town after a spooky bird (the spookiest?)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
that's so raven, holmes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

Maybe don’t name your town after a spooky bird (the spookiest?)

:owned:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, it's really scary and there's a spooky graveyard and a skeleton in it

:wth:

Don't talk about it out loud that's too much

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Blue jays are one of like five good birds so idk what this post is

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Blue jays are one of like five good birds so idk what this post is

once saw a blue jay do a flying headbutt into a squirrel and knock it out of a 30 foot tree

was badass

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
last week outside my house I saw a seagull grab a pigeon right outta the sky and decapitate it in the street

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Was rules of nature playing?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A pigeon flew into my shoe midstride and broke its own neck once

I wasn't happy about it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Advanced wars looks like it's gonna ask me for my credit card when I fail a mission

turn your monitor on

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, what’s the gameplay like in the upcoming TWEWY sequel (that is. is it similar to the first one or is it more action based like Kingdom Hearts and some of the newer Final Fantasy titles) ?

The recent anime adaption of the original game kind of rekindled my interest in the series so I was thinking of possibly picking Neo up when it comes out next month (especially considering every version of the first game that isn’t the DS original either sucks or is awkward to play from what I’ve heard)

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Larryb posted:

On another note, what’s the gameplay like in the upcoming TWEWY sequel (that is. is it similar to the first one or is it more action based like Kingdom Hearts and some of the newer Final Fantasy titles) ?

The recent anime adaption of the original game kind of rekindled my interest in the series so I was thinking of possibly picking Neo up when it comes out next month (especially considering every version of the first game that isn’t the DS original either sucks or is awkward to play from what I’ve heard)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6OOVWaTMeA

Looks fun imo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hello

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Rarity posted:

That's a bad kirb

Here's a good kirb

Seriously, I would love to have an avatar of this without the white space. I just don't have the skills.

Our family is celebrating Pride all month with pins and streamers and wristbands.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Hi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Metroid Dread is looking real good, sounds like they're trying real hard to nail the movement in this real good on Mercury Stream's part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys_GegPKDvk

Also funny bit where they explain Adam, the ship AI and the guy is like "he gives you hints, he doesn't tell you where to go. You're still free to go where ever you can."