Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Kitakami got HE citadeled by Midway bombs. Literally useless pile of trash.

In other news:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Russian CVs in testing, with three squadrons that each work like the Ise's.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

wdarkk posted:

the current RU CV concept is a pile of trash btw. The T10 has T6 plane hp, with120 knots top speed, 1 squad per flight so while they are marinating in AA at 120 knots you lose your actual strike right away. They will probably buff it in 7 different ways because right now literally those squads are just going to putter along at barely double the speed of a Paolo Emilio then disappear when they get to any T10 ships.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

wdarkk posted:

Wait, are you serious? I thought Russian aircraft carriers were just a nightmarish joke.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

General Battuta posted:

Wait, are you serious? I thought Russian aircraft carriers were just a nightmarish joke.

Yes, but in game they will also be a nightmarish joke.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
If they model the tugs dragging the Kuznetsoz around my respect for weegee will increase tenfold.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

toadee posted:

Kitakami got HE citadeled by Midway bombs. Literally useless pile of trash.

Oh, I didn't say last year's version attempt was good, just that it existed - and as such the idea that they'd never bring it back has been dead for a while now.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

General Battuta posted:

You mean the plans for them in real life? Of course they were. So were all of the pre-WW2 and WW2 designs for almost all of the Soviet navy; however, as a decade of experience with Wargaming has taught me, despite what they try to tell you, Wargaming pays zero attention to the historical reality that were both the actual ships, planes, and vehicles their games 'model' and the plans for the same which were never built.

This is doubly the case when you are dealing with Soviet weapons systems. Take the Leningrad for example, these destroyers were so terrible that even 10 foot seas threatened to capsize them. Their weapons were sub-standard and they used really poor propellent that significantly limited the usefulness of her main armament, yet in World of Warships it is a passible ship that you can do well in.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

ZombieLenin posted:

You mean the plans for them in real life? Of course they were. So were all of the pre-WW2 and WW2 designs for almost all of the Soviet navy; however, as a decade of experience with Wargaming has taught me, despite what they try to tell you, Wargaming pays zero attention to the historical reality that were both the actual ships, planes, and vehicles their games 'model' and the plans for the same which were never built.

This is doubly the case when you are dealing with Soviet weapons systems. Take the Leningrad for example, these destroyers were so terrible that even 10 foot seas threatened to capsize them. Their weapons were sub-standard and they used really poor propellent that significantly limited the usefulness of her main armament, yet in World of Warships it is a passible ship that you can do well in.

World of warships is a shooting game that's loosely based on ships. If it tried to simulate all of the stupid grog minutia it would be even worse than it already is.

You could substantially improve the game by taking out a lot of poo poo that was only included for "realism" (like CVs, submarines, 50 different parameters controlling shell flight times and penetration, 14.3x overmatch rule, overpens on the citadel of a ship).

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

James Garfield posted:

World of warships is a shooting game that's loosely based on ships. If it tried to simulate all of the stupid grog minutia it would be even worse than it already is.

You could substantially improve the game by taking out a lot of poo poo that was only included for "realism" (like CVs, submarines, 50 different parameters controlling shell flight times and penetration, 14.3x overmatch rule, overpens on the citadel of a ship).

No, I know. Of course it’s an arcade game. However, for a lot of things they make decisions on tiers and the like based on “historical” stats.

Of course, don’t look over here at this ship that barely floated, or more recently the Ise that had dive bombers specifically developed for use on the Ise. Instead we will literally invent torpedo bombers that never existed and slap those things on and call it a day!

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Anyone know when the research bureau 2x points thing resets? Or did it just rest?

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
It reset less than a month ago. If you scroll to the bottom of the tech tree it should say when the next one is.

I was able to get two x2 resets in one season once, and I still don't know how. I had reset the IJN gunboat line and as I started playing through them I noticed I was still offered the x2 for another line. Because it was over the holiday season (2 weeks of +200% FWB), I was able to grind to the Harugumo and reset again and get back all within one season.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
I reset my IJN gunboats three times now, so this time I used my 2x on the pan-European DDs because they're good fun, and I finally got Jerzy Swirzki so now I'll have a gunboat spec AND a torp spec captain for them.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Blindeye posted:

I reset my IJN gunboats three times now, so this time I used my 2x on the pan-European DDs because they're good fun, and I finally got Jerzy Swirzki so now I'll have a gunboat spec AND a torp spec captain for them.

Be aware the xp for retraining is brutal now. I’ve taken to only resetting lines where I have captains for every boat already. Otherwise you lose more xp switching boats than you accumulate.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Velius posted:

Be aware the xp for retraining is brutal now. I’ve taken to only resetting lines where I have captains for every boat already. Otherwise you lose more xp switching boats than you accumulate.

Yep - I would like to reset alternate lines but I'm well commited to the IJN line. I have 13pt captains on the T5 & T6, a 16 pt captain on the T7 and 19 pt captains on the T8 and T9. I don't mind since its always a good line to play, and it is the least XP, but it would be nice to shake it up.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Velius posted:

I have like 5 million free xp and 1.3 million commander XP; I'm not worried about that anymore.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Blindeye posted:

I have like 5 million free xp and 1.3 million commander XP; I'm not worried about that anymore.

Its 300k commander xp to move around captains

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

toadee posted:

Its 300k commander xp to move around captains

Fair; I'm only planning to move him from 8-9-10. I have a few 10/12 pointers for grinding the lower tiers, and I can retrain him using my friesland/smaland.

Edit: Alaska remains real gud.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 21, 2021

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Just in case anyone from the EU Goon clan is still playing:

I switched to another clan today, cause I wanna do clan battles and get steel. Maybe one day in the future we get enough EU goons together again to also play those.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Hammerstein posted:

Just in case anyone from the EU Goon clan is still playing:

I switched to another clan today, cause I wanna do clan battles and get steel. Maybe one day in the future we get enough EU goons together again to also play those.

I seriously doubt that but have fun wherever you play! :)

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I've not played for long enough that I can take an invite code if anyone on EU wants to invite me. I'm unlikely to division, but if I start playing again you'll get the other rewards .

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
Just going to put this here, if there are any casual players like myself who don’t give a gently caress about doing clan poo poo, I’ve got a clan I set up eons ago just for the bonuses and to stop the spam of clan invites.

Any goon is welcome in it if they are looking for some of the clan base bonuses, but don’t want to deal with some of the poo poo that goes on in some of the clans. The clan tag is WESNK.

Just thought I’d throw that out there.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
with the new ranked system, do you still get the "lower" rewards when you start in a higher position?
i.e. if you start silver after a sprint, do you also get bronze rewards next sprint?

In the old system if you started rank 10 for example, you got all the prior rewards upon your first game, is what i mean.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Yolomon Wayne posted:

with the new ranked system, do you still get the "lower" rewards when you start in a higher position?
i.e. if you start silver after a sprint, do you also get bronze rewards next sprint?

In the old system if you started rank 10 for example, you got all the prior rewards upon your first game, is what i mean.

Oh, they revamped ranked? I will have to read about it.

I am not the best wows player on earth, but I still found the he previous version of ranked was so loving frustrating.

I went around 25 matches between rank 2, 3, and 4 never reaching rank 1 the very first time I ever participated in rank.

After that I never seriously did ranked again. I think I made it to rank 5 in a couple of ranked seasons after that, but just quit when I hit 5… because I told myself I didn’t play video games to be pissed for hours and days on end.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Don’t play ranked. Unless you’re just in it for the small match gameplay. It’s so unbelievably frustrating and attracts (or creates, in my case) the most toxic players.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

General Battuta posted:

Don’t play ranked. Unless you’re just in it for the small match gameplay. It’s so unbelievably frustrating and attracts (or creates, in my case) the most toxic players.

Yeah, I’ve played wows on and off since December of 2015 and have only participated in maybe 4 ranked seasons.

It was pretty easy not to do because the rewards weren’t that great unless you hit rank 1, and trying to achieve this was so frustrating the first time that it was pretty easy to say “gently caress it, not worth my time.”

The only thing that even tempts me now are the number of good premium ships I could own without having to pay money for them in the armory that are only available for steel; and, granted I took an almost two year break, but the amount of steel I’ve ‘earned’ doing non-ranked gameplay since they launched the ‘new’ resources is a little over 1,900.

I think you might be right though, I would probably be better off just pretending the steel poo poo in the armory doesn’t exist and move on with my life.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Ranked now has a reward for hitting rank 1, but otherwise it’s just getting X wins per season, with silver and gold having more potential rewards but requiring more wins.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I guess I like ranked silver; I can grind tier 8-9 ships in tighter matchmaking and get steel. Is it toxic? No more than randoms, to be honest.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Just treat ranked as randoms with more rewards. There is no reason to tilt, you get rewars for X number of wins not X rank, nobody knows or cares about it as a status symbol anymore at all. It used to be that people would compete to rank out in the fewest games. Now people just piddle around in Silver as much as possible and play random junk because ranked has lost all meaning.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Ranked is literally random battles except you get a few hundred steel a week if you play enough. Stars are mostly irrelevant because the rewards are based on number of wins. I think you actually get better rewards staying in bronze or silver league the whole time than if you tried to hit rank 1 in the top league.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The most stupid thing is, that you cant play ranked anymore after you ranked 1 and got your qualification for next league done.
You can-not, the game doesnt let you.

So what that means is, people will throw their games as to not complete qualification.
Amazing design.

Also you get rewards for wins AS WELL as ranks, including qualification.
I dont know what you get out of staying in a league after you got all rewards though.
You get rewards for each 3 wins up to a maximum - then its rank rewards up to rank 1 + qualification.
Then i dont see how you could get anything more, besides 7v7 battles with +1 MM instead of 12v12 +2MM.... hmmmm... actually....

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Darkrenown posted:

I've not played for long enough that I can take an invite code if anyone on EU wants to invite me. I'm unlikely to division, but if I start playing again you'll get the other rewards .

Does no one on EU want to invite-code me for free stuff?

VVV: Cool, thanks!

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 12, 2021

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Oh, I will when I get home if you can wait a couple of hours

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

The most stupid thing is, that you cant play ranked anymore after you ranked 1 and got your qualification for next league done.
You can-not, the game doesnt let you.

So what that means is, people will throw their games as to not complete qualification.
Amazing design.

Don't play qualification, if you hit qualification you should stop and wait for the weekly reset. There's no benefit to going to a higher league. The only exception is if the lower league is at a bad tier, like this season where promoting to silver lets you play fun tier 8-9 instead of lovely tier 6-7.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Also you get rewards for wins AS WELL as ranks, including qualification.
I dont know what you get out of staying in a league after you got all rewards though.
You get rewards for each 3 wins up to a maximum - then its rank rewards up to rank 1 + qualification.
Then i dont see how you could get anything more, besides 7v7 battles with +1 MM instead of 12v12 +2MM.... hmmmm... actually....

You can repeat the rewards for wins after the weekly reset. It also takes a lot fewer games to get the rewards in lower leagues. The rank rewards aren't very exciting anyway, it's like 10 flags and some camos.

Also in the tier 8-9 league you get to play fun games where all the idiots are running into the middle in secondary battleships, instead of tier 10 ranked where they're sitting 28 km apart in thunderers firing HE.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

James Garfield posted:

The only exception is if the lower league is at a bad tier, like this season where promoting to silver lets you play fun tier 8-9 instead of lovely tier 6-7.

This is where you are wrong, because the very definition of fun in this game is guaranteed top-tier in a Scharnhorst.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Good i went to silver then, lower tier was beginning to chip away at me.
As im currently in my cruiser-phase, since theyre horrendously underrepresented as far as i saw, not having a heal was a major drawback (which led me to the fiji, which in turn led me to rank 1).
Not having heals in cruisers up to T9 is something i completely forgot, and while it might teach you more conservative play it also absolutely punishes a lucky citadel or two.
Also the number of upgrade slots heavily point you towards T9+
Still think T8 is the hell-level for cruisers though, since you get the worst of both worlds (no 6th slot and no heal on top).

Think i will then not try to get Gold next sprint, but stay in silver like everyone else and have fun.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I don't mind playing T6 or T8 in ranked since you are guaranteed to pull the same for your enemy. And if you queue with something like a Massachussets you have a chance the enemy shows up in a Monarch.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Yeah ranked is fine for grinding tier 8 ships, you don't fight range mod thunderers and ability to carry doesn't matter because stars don't matter. There are a few ships that are only fun on large teams but that's the only problem.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Came back to game after years never got higher than rank 8 and I'm liking 6/7 and small teams a lot.

Had my best Japanese DD game ever 88k damage 5 killing blows in an atazuki.

Cruisers are tough in smaller games though especially when it's like 1 DD per side so you can't hide behind islands and shoot scouted targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
Did Wargaming increase the amount of XP you need to grind out if Tier VII? Since the last time I played they have added a bunch of ships that branch off from Tier 7…

I am looking at these XP requirements on these tier viii ships and it seems like I am going to have to spend twice the time in these ships—some like the Colorado, which I loving hated—as I did the first time I ground through them.