Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder if the vending machines are completely replacing relic spots. I actually kinda like running around getting relics in IV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Snake Maze posted:

Only humans have innate light immunity. Demifiend didn't have it and I assume the demonic fusion means SMT V protag doesn't have it either.

He did, however, have a general resistance to instant death that wasn't really shown in stats, since his base chance to get hit by them is basically halved, as I recall.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

that was added or at least increased in nocturne vs vanilla iirc

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, you really need to think of the protagonist as 'anime bishounen'.

High fantasy in asia frequently uses this sorta look, like in thunderbolt fantasy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1muOeJ4fBps

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Stux posted:

that was added or at least increased in nocturne vs vanilla iirc

Yeah, it was a Maniax change that every magatama that wasn't explicitly weak to expel/dark had a hidden resistance to them.

I'm wondering how the protagonist is going to learn skills in this game. I was never a big fan of Demon Whisper.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

Yeah, it was a Maniax change that every magatama that wasn't explicitly weak to expel/dark had a hidden resistance to them.

I'm wondering how the protagonist is going to learn skills in this game. I was never a big fan of Demon Whisper.

Gacha rolls, premium currency to reroll

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

DemoneeHo posted:

Also the website for V is up. The US site has nothing, while the JP site has a lot of text that I can't read: https://megaten5.jp/

Let me try translating, with a few liberties to avoid awkwardness in English. Important comments are in parentheses.

Shin Megami Tensei's Newest Entry

Shin Megami Tensei was introduced in 1992, with an anarchic world with a dark atmosphere, and where you battle and befriend demons. From the popularity of the highly original main series, titles like "Persona" and "Devil Summoner" were born.

This entry, "Shin Megami Tensei V," combines beautiful visuals possible through modern hardware and the series' unique charm. This is an unprecedented new demonic experience.

Story/Character:

The high school student protagonist lives a normal everyday life, when they wander to another world: "Da'at." He fuses with a mysterious man, becomes the forbidden existence "nahobino," and throws himself into fighting demons.

Da'at:

The mysterious world Da'at that is covered with desert, and is dotted with giant fiends (yes, specifically the word used for III and IV's fiends), giant monstrous birds soaring across the sky, a variety of gods, demons, and so much more!

Some demons are friendly, while others are fiendish and will turn their fangs on the protagonist. Explore Da'at while repelling demons that have unprecedented power.

Devil:

You can confront over 200 demons while searching Da'at. While of course there are still the Demons you are familiar with, there are also new demons with artwork by Masayuki Doi.

System:

Da'at is an uncivilized land where demons attack. To pursue the truth, the protagonist must cut open a path. Grow Nahobino's power, use the demon's power, and a variety of other means to advance!

(the pictures are then labeled, from left to right, top to bottom, "negotiation," "battle," "growth," "choice," and "fusion." )

There are various divergent endings. What future will you choose?

Then there is stuff about what is included in the special edition which I don't want to translate.

-----------------------------------------

So basically, the only things we get here I think are that the world is called "Da'at," that the protagonist is "Nahobino" (could be slightly different in the English version), that there are over 200 demons, and that the new designs are still by IV and IV:A's character designer. Oh, and that the fiends are probably returning as well. The rest is stuff I think we already knew.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 16, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Da'at is one of the branches of Sephirot. Combined with the tree imagery I'm guessing the earth is one branch. Da'at is another and you have to explore the different realms for some purpose.

200 demons though. Thank god

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I wonder if my boy Turdak will make a comeback. I'm doubtful since he's a pretty deep cut, the most modern game he was in was Imagine. But I like the cool dual wielding skeleton warrior.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
More than 200 demons is a reasonable number, especially compared to IV and its demon list that, at last count, came out to "way too many"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lotus Aura posted:

More than 200 demons is a reasonable number, especially compared to IV and its demon list that, at last count, came out to "way too many"

Not even close to enough. I would kill for a game with the roster in the thousands. Fusing demons is the best part, especially seeing a dude you've never seen before

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Yeah, I definitely didn't feel like IV had too many.

I'm assuming the reason it is down to 200+ is because of 3D modeling and animation being much more expensive than IV's 2D static sprites.

Edit: For context, Nocturne had 198, and IV had like 426

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, I really liked the gigantic demon list of 4. But 200 is a good amount, especially for a 3d game on a new engine (though I imagine they used a lot of Persona 5 models where they could).

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ill take 200 demons in good 3d over 400 demons but theyre the art in smt4

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I liked the art of SMT4, battles were over very quickly since there were no animations

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

As much as I love SMT4 I do agree that some of the designs in that game aren't super great. You also really feel the absence of proper 3D models, the sprites just don't jive the same.

All that said though the new archangel designs in SMT4 are The Good poo poo.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Unpopular take: I hope, assuming Gabriel/Raphiel/Uriel/Michael return, they will be in their SMT IV form rather than the classic Kaneko art.

Edit: Wow I got beaten to the take!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

hatty posted:

I liked the art of SMT4, battles were over very quickly since there were no animations

Seeing all the fancy Animations in V has got me scared for how long battles are gonna take not gonna lie.

MegaZeroX posted:

Unpopular take: I hope, assuming Gabriel/Raphiel/Uriel/Michael return, they will be in their SMT IV form rather than the classic Kaneko art.

Edit: Wow I got beaten to the take!

I think it's fine either way. The human forms make sense when they're pretending to be human like in 2 and SJ. But the more Angelic form is okay too.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I kind of understand that they based Lucifer off his appearance in the movie Constantine, but why did they dress him like a bullfighter.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

no they need to be the good angel designs because the contrast of the angels all looking Good and Holy and law being absolutely genocidal maniacs is good and making them look evil completely undercuts it

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Stux posted:

no they need to be the good angel designs because the contrast of the angels all looking Good and Holy and law being absolutely genocidal maniacs is good and making them look evil completely undercuts it

They don't look evil in IV, just... supernatural, incomprehensible. Which very much does jive with how they want to appear in SMT. The impression they want is that they are completely beyond mortal comprehension, the only ones that can carry out the will of god.

Multicolored humans with wings just doesn't carry that.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I much prefer the cold and mechanical approach they went with in 4.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I'm not super far in, but I'm just going to say that Medusa in SMT4 doesn't look so good. Most of her design looks good, but something about the way they drew the face threw me off the entire time I was trying to beat her rear end.

Oh, and super-hyped to run around with flowing locks in SMT5.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Spermando posted:

I kind of understand that they based Lucifer off his appearance in the movie Constantine, but why did they dress him like a bullfighter.

Anybody defending LucIVfer's design is certifiably insane and needs to be locked up with the Archangels

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like the angel designs from 4 would be pretty difficult to translate to 3d in general. Plus they already have models for the old angel designs from persona 5 which could be more or less reused. I guess I feel like it would be cool to see them try, but I'm not sure it's the best use of effort if they are already struggling with the demon count

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 15, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

MegaZeroX posted:

They don't look evil in IV, just... supernatural, incomprehensible. Which very much does jive with how they want to appear in SMT. The impression they want is that they are completely beyond mortal comprehension, the only ones that can carry out the will of god.

Multicolored humans with wings just doesn't carry that.

yeah the things drawn to be weird abominations arent meant to look Twisted and Evil agreed.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Also was there an explanation for the hand baby that I missed? Was it in reference to him being an old man and a little boy at the same time in 3?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Andrigaar posted:

I'm not super far in, but I'm just going to say that Medusa in SMT4 doesn't look so good. Most of her design looks good, but something about the way they drew the face threw me off the entire time I was trying to beat her rear end.

4A updated a couple of demon designs from 4, including Medusa. Not a full redesign, but it made her face way less jarring.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Stux posted:

yeah the things drawn to be weird abominations arent meant to look Twisted and Evil agreed.

Perhaps they only look evil to you because you do not comprehend the glory of the lords servants.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

LibrarianCroaker posted:

4A updated a couple of demon designs from 4, including Medusa. Not a full redesign, but it made her face way less jarring.

Medusa, Lucifer, and a few others all had massively improved designs in IVA compared to IV. It's one of the many reasons I consider it a much better game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I sort of feel like the low level angels looking like people and them getting increasingly inhuman as you go up is part of the theme. That already happened somewhat with angels like Throne in the old designs

the real question is if poor Angel will get her pants back or not

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Andrigaar posted:

yeah medusa was one of the notoriously awful designs in SMT4, so much so that she was one of the first redrawn SMT4 demons that was shown off for 4A

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I bring a subbed trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfpqU49DtGQ

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

MegaZeroX posted:

Yeah, I definitely didn't feel like IV had too many.

I'm assuming the reason it is down to 200+ is because of 3D modeling and animation being much more expensive than IV's 2D static sprites.

Edit: For context, Nocturne had 198, and IV had like 426

I'll take "Fucktons of demons" over Nocturnes "Lol there is literally 1 demon in several races, plus huge level gaps in more common races"

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I kinda hope Chemtrail returns. The wide open sky is perfect for seeing him pass over an area in the distance and having some sort of toxic poison settle in the area below his vapor trail.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

No amount of "but in the old testament angels looked weird!!!" is ever going to make me think the SMT4 angels look anything other than incredibly stupid.

Give me weird skin tone people in pretty outfits.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Stux posted:

A lot of the actual mythological depictions of these guys were alien and aberrant, and the IV design plays that part up. There's a reason in the Bible that the Archangels used to introduce themselves with "Be not afraid".

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I want to see the SMTIV archangels with new, pretty, full 3D graphics. But it's not a dealbreaker if I don't, because I know we'll be getting so.e good poo poo anyway!

Pharohman777 posted:

Yeah, you really need to think of the protagonist as 'anime bishounen'.

High fantasy in asia frequently uses this sorta look, like in thunderbolt fantasy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1muOeJ4fBps

I think we were knocked away from thinking about that angle because the other big, AAA JRPG franchise making an appearance this E3 was Final Fantasy Origin. Which despite being set in literal Amano Art FF1 that should be filled to the brim with bishonen, has made its protagonist 'Jack, Who Looks Like He Has Opinions About The Wage Gap'.

I wasn't prepared to immediately digest Extremely Pretty Long-Haired Man!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Can't say I'm a big fan of the Nocturne puzzle dungeons - wrong side of the balance between interestingly difficult and makework

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Cleretic posted:

I want to see the SMTIV archangels with new, pretty, full 3D graphics. But it's not a dealbreaker if I don't, because I know we'll be getting so.e good poo poo anyway!

I think we were knocked away from thinking about that angle because the other big, AAA JRPG franchise making an appearance this E3 was Final Fantasy Origin. Which despite being set in literal Amano Art FF1 that should be filled to the brim with bishonen, has made its protagonist 'Jack, Who Looks Like He Has Opinions About The Wage Gap'.

I wasn't prepared to immediately digest Extremely Pretty Long-Haired Man!

Holy poo poo you need to get a loving life lol. Coom coom cooM! YOU NEED TO COOM! AAAA! You can't like a thing if it has nothing to coom tooo! ARRGH MY NAME IS CLERETIC AND I'M ABOUT TO loving COOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wh- Bwuh?! Where's the titty bimbos?! I need to coom! ENough of these males, show me the COOM WOMEN!!! You whine so much about everything and yet you're obsessed with nazi women because you think they're hot, you're literally everything you claim to hate. COOM COOM COOOOOOOM!!! AAHH !! LOOK AT SHE'S AB OUT TO COOOM!!! Somone get the plastic ponchos...Cleretic's about...too...loving...COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!