Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

lead poisoning is poisonous permanent and proven to increase criminality in a dose dependent rate but exogenous

not to mention delicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Marx Headroom posted:

someday we're gonna be talking about tails and elf ears the way old people talk about piercings and tattoos

you can already get surgery to have elf ears, they look like poo poo, as to be expected

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

lead poisoning is poisonous permanent and proven to increase criminality in a dose dependent rate but exogenous

I don't know, man. I once swallowed a whole package of lead fishing weights and I haven't committed crimes since then.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Facebook Aunt posted:

I don't know, man. I once swallowed a whole package of lead fishing weights and I haven't committed crimes since then.

Disappointing, low energy csapm posting SAD

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

duz posted:

you can already get surgery to have elf ears, they look like poo poo, as to be expected

never be the early adopter with first gen tech, you gotta wait a bit for the problems to be ironed out

sup duz

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Facebook Aunt posted:

Those probably mostly passed right through you. For the good stuff you have to find paint chips

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’d crisper my child to have a huge dong

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

indigi posted:

I’d crisper my child to have a huge dong
that's not a nice thing to do to your child for the sake of your own hog

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I tried to cripser my kid to be even gayer than I am but it turns out any more literally makes you too gay to exist in this cursed world with high background heterosexuality

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
oh no…. my own petard..

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

i don't like to dismiss poo poo out of hand, but how is it proved? if it's some statistical study that doesn't normalize for poverty or geography ima call bullshit

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

crepeface posted:

i don't like to dismiss poo poo out of hand, but how is it proved? if it's some statistical study that doesn't normalize for poverty or geography ima call bullshit

the link is through impulsivity. the brain damage from lead can impact your self-control and therefore your tendency to do stupid poo poo without thinking. this is not :biotruths: it's just a sadly common result of frontal lobe damage

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Jazerus posted:

the link is through impulsivity. the brain damage from lead can impact your self-control and therefore your tendency to do stupid poo poo without thinking. this is not :biotruths: it's just a sadly common result of frontal lobe damage

Much like your posting

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

Much like your posting

look i can't change the fact that brainmeats are physical objects with physical properties. sometimes people in cspam post as though everybody is a disembodied ghost

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Jazerus posted:

look i can't change the fact that brainmeats are physical objects with physical properties. sometimes people in cspam post as though everybody is a disembodied ghost

If we aren't ghosts then what's haunting Europe?

Owned lib

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Jazerus posted:

fair enough.

'increase criminality' is a weird way to put it tho, like it's an stat in shadow of mordor

[lead petrol]
+5 criminality
+5 chav
-5 brain juice

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

There is a criminality gene and it makes you see a blue star next to your name

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

Salean posted:

extremely good take

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Salean posted:

Reported to the anti-defamation league.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

crepeface posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of it absolutely did normalize for a whole bunch of poo poo including wealth, location, age, etc.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...cietal_violence

There's another one I can't find right now that applied this kinda modeling to other countries, entire regions, poo poo like that, and found very similar signals tied to lead emissions. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say it's "proved" since behavioral science is very sticky like that, but if it's not lead then there sure as hell is some other confounding variable tightly coupled to the date of countries banning or reducing lead in gasoline and paint that magically causes violent crime to decrease at a predictable time in the future that just happens to correspond closely to the amount of time it takes for a generation to be born and grow into young adulthood without the lead in the air.

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 03:18 on Jun 16, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yah we have natural experiments w jurisdiction differentials with similar demographics

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

3D Megadoodoo posted:

So it just keeps getting sold and bought for more and more money until... ???

Yes

https://twitter.com/HousingOpen/status/1404898997324578819?s=19

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

crepeface posted:

https://twitter.com/M_asinMerry/status/1404517922396160007?s=19

can't wait for the invisible hand of the free market to solve this power generation problem

It was very profitable for the people who matter so there is no problem here to solve.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Even the loving dolphins are capitalist scum now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stackable water storage containers seem like a good idea, but you’re paying a huge premium for it.

Build a frame out of dimensional lumber (yes, yes, very expensive right now, too) if you need a second level.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I'm just loving things when the usual solutions of just building something out of wood are too expensive. This is awesome. Number!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It was really funny seeing the John Wayne “I own 25 AR15’s, 10 years of dehydrated beans, and a water filtration system and don’t need “Society”” Preppers lasting three weeks before they were marching and saying masks were Communism and closing Denny’s was the first step towards Nazi Germany or something lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ScottColesby/status/1405149120088653828

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
King Kong ain't got poo poo on me! *slips into diabetic coma*

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

King Kong ain't got poo poo on me! *slips into diabetic coma*

while on the toilet

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
An incredibly depressing but also very funny article about influencer culture: https://harpers.org/archive/2021/06/tiktok-house-collab-house-the-anxiety-of-influencers/

quote:

It is raining ash while we play basketball. On the far side of the house, the boys have a half-court hemmed in by pine trees (plus an adjacent putt-putt course), and while some unseen speaker plays J. Cole and Lil Baby, the boys are trying unsuccessfully to arrange some three-on-three. As we shoot around and warm up, the boys finally summon the courage to ask about my age, and the resulting investigation goes something like this:

baron: How old are you?
me: Guess.
baron: What! Come on, Beanie Barrett. We told you everything about us! What is up, bro?
gio: Twenty-four? Twenty-five? [Gio is a prince.]
baron [Rubbing his chin appraisingly while looking me up and down]: Okay, I see you look younger because of your sense of style—like the glasses and the beanie. I see that. So I’m gonna picture you in like a tux or something. Like a worker’s outfit.

At first, I assume that by “worker’s outfit,” he means the raiment of the proletariat, some sort of rumpled denim jumpsuit in the style of, say, a custodian or a mechanic. But then I realize that his own source of income is so wildly far from your standard nine-to-five that by “worker’s outfit” he simply means a businessman’s suit and tie.

“You’re probably like thirty-six,” he says, the little bastard.

Even though we haven’t started playing yet, all the boys talk prodigious levels of poo poo. “Bud—who’s trying to get dunked on?” (DaeDae). “I’m a daddy on the court. Y’all know what the gently caress is going on with me!” (Baron). “Yo, gently caress that clip. Look how much height I have on you, fam.” (Christopher). I suppose I find it interesting that their Barnumesque hype-manning continues even when there are no cameras rolling. But a few minutes later, after we pick teams, something strange happens. For reasons I cannot identify, most of the boys scatter and disperse, wandering in the direction of the jacuzzi and pool, looking like left fielders distracted by butterflies. Only Baron and I remain on the court. “What happened?” I ask. Shirtless, dribbling at the top of the key, Baron sighs and says, “Honestly, man, this happens all the time. They all have ADHD. They haven’t been in school in like four years, and they haven’t had responsibilities, so their brains are loving mush, bro. . . . It’s just like we pick teams for fun all the time.”

However true that is, and whatever else you might say about the education these kids are receiving, it’s clear that their hedonistic coursework—yacht content, poolside content, White Claw content—doesn’t include the rudiments of critical thinking. Take for just one example the moment during dinner when, as one boy is telling me about his ambitions to become a rock star, Baron looks up from his smartphone and says, apropos of nothing, “Yo, Hitler invented sex dolls.”

The room is overtaken by a gust of silence, while all the boys nod and chew stoically, a mute encouragement to go on. “That’s why they all have blond hair and blue eyes,” he says.

“Wait,” I say. “That can’t be right. Who says?”

“TikTok, man.”

Some frantic googling later that day will reveal that this supposed Nazi initiative—apparently called the Borghild Project, whereby German troops were given collapsible plastic dolls in their infantry backpacks that could be inflated and used (so to speak) in lieu of visiting prostitutes—is a hoax, one that was summarily debunked back in the early 2000s. Obviously, this has regained traction, though, in the unregulated wilderness of TikTok.

Beyond using TikTok as a moneymaking platform, all the guys seemed to regard the app as a social and political godsend. Again and again throughout the weekend, they rhapsodize about TikTok as though it were a conduit for sustained grassroots movements. “When I was younger,” Brandon, who is nineteen, says, “I didn’t have this much perspective on the world. I didn’t get to see everyone’s opinions on things. What was it? Just the news? Facebook? As a kid, I didn’t have a TikTok. I wasn’t an eight-year-old kid with a TikTok seeing what everyone else is seeing. Now everyone feels like they have a voice, and I think that’s what people are afraid of.”

“Wait,” I say. “Who do you think is afraid?”

“The government,” Brandon says.

“You think the government is scared?” I ask.

“Yeah, because on TikTok we have voices,” Brandon says. “We’re a whole nation of voices. That poo poo’s scary.”

Chase, the media liaison and self-described “influencing professor,” agrees. Later that day, he will tell me that “we’ve been kind of lucky to have these outlets across the last few months because we’ve been more exposed to what’s really going on.” For instance, just a few weeks ago, he was at home scrolling through his phone as a ritual of pre-sleep entertainment, at which point he stumbled upon “some kind of documentary” about the apparently rampant levels of Satanism in the U.S. entertainment industry. The documentary offered a detailed exegesis of demonic iconography, which supposedly many directors embed in their TV shows and movies. “It freaked me out, one hundred percent,” Chase says, “because I’ve seen those types of things—those signs and symbols—in these entertainment people’s offices, and so then to see this documentary and to start putting the pieces together, I mean, it’s nuts, man.”

At this point, I nonchalantly inquire as to whether Chase could maybe brandish his smartphone and pull up the video in question, and I’m soon made to view something called “Out of Shadows,” which has been posted on YouTube by an account called—I poo poo you not—Thinqing QAnon. Later, when I ask Chase whether he’s ever heard about the QAnon conspiracy, he says no, but explains that the video must be legit because “it’s gotten deleted multiple times off the internet, which is insane.” Epistemologically, this is where we are as a country: when content gets expurgated because of blatant misinformation, it is taken as a sure sign of that source’s truthfulness.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
That last paragraph is pretty lol also though.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
If only there was a name for this brand new phenomenon! Barbra Streisand, help me!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Not to sound like an English professor or anything, but as a professor of English, I can’t help thinking of Walter Benjamin’s “The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction.” Benjamin suggests that fascistic governments aim to maintain the status quo by providing citizens with the means to express themselves aesthetically without reforming their lives materially. Thus the aforementioned government that Brandon thinks TikTokers have scared shitless actually, as Benjamin writes, “sees its salvation in granting expression to the masses—but on no account granting them rights.”

More to the point, any countercultural voltage these influencers purport to possess gets nullified by the fact that they have clear incentives not to talk about controversial matters, lest they get dropped by their brands.

“I don’t talk about politics at all,” Brandon says. “It’s like there’s always another opinion. It’s always better to be neutral. I feel like everybody avoids politics on social media. Besides that, though, everyone feels like they have a voice.”

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

This is art.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
tiktok-gulag

gulag-house

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

quote:

(Six weeks from now, Chris and Amir will decide that the FTB venture is no longer financially viable, and they will kick the boys out of the house. The boys will scatter across Los Angeles—some will head back home—and Baron will post a TikTok in which he enjoins his followers to “engage” with his posts because he’s trying to afford his own apartment.)

hellworld

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

there's been a turn in the past several years towards there being a big emphasis on people "feeling" heard, seen, empowered etc., seemingly as opposed to being those things. it's one of those postmodern foibles that keeps weirding me out whenever i notice it

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Professor Shark posted:

It was really funny seeing the John Wayne “I own 25 AR15’s, 10 years of dehydrated beans, and a water filtration system and don’t need “Society”” Preppers lasting three weeks before they were marching and saying masks were Communism and closing Denny’s was the first step towards Nazi Germany or something lol

I remember Pratchett's quote about people who don't need other people needing people around to not need other people in front of.

ekuNNN posted:

quote:

“I don’t talk about politics at all,” Brandon says. “It’s like there’s always another opinion. It’s always better to be neutral. I feel like everybody avoids politics on social media. Besides that, though, everyone feels like they have a voice.”

I saw someone talking about Gamers (capital 'G') the other day where they mention characters could be male or political. White or political. Straight or political. Etc.

Megillah Gorilla has issued a correction as of 13:14 on Jun 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/hoofnagle/status/1404950938033410050