Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
god I had to see if the D&D china thread even bothered to acknowledge the census numbers and it was literally just a wall of 'why are you even sharing these numbers, also the numbers are fake, also the Han are actually growing more but they're hiding it'. These people want a war to 'protect' Xinjiang so bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

that Jane Austin story is absolutely stdh.txt

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

she is very funny.

read the article she sounds like korean trumpu

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

that Jane Austin story is absolutely stdh.txt

are you accusing this brave woman of lying? Of making up insane, obviously fake, things that rely on the reader to be so loving stupid and desperate for an enemy they'll believe anything? How loving dare you, this woman survived so much.

quote:

"’American Bastard' was one word for North Koreans" Park was taught growing up.

"The math problems would say 'there are four American bastards, you kill two of them, how many American bastards are left to kill?'"

quote:

"English is my third language. I learned it as an adult. I sometimes still say 'he' or 'she' by mistake and now they are going to ask me to call them 'they'? How the heck do I incorporate that into my sentences?"

"It was chaos," said Yeonmi. "It felt like the regression in civilization."

"Even North Korea is not this nuts," she admitted. "North Korea was pretty crazy, but not this crazy."

After getting into a number of arguments with professors and students, eventually Yeonmi "learned how to just shut up" in order to maintain a good GPA and graduate.

quote:

"In North Korea I literally believed that my Dear Leader [Kim Jong-un] was starving," she recalled. "He's the fattest guy - how can anyone believe that? And then somebody showed me a photo and said 'Look at him, he's the fattest guy. Other people are all thin.' And I was like, 'Oh my God, why did I not notice that he was fat?' Because I never learned how to think critically."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
for reference Korean is a gender neutral language so it's not like 'the table is mrs table' things she's claiming to have trouble breaking, she's literally saying she, despite Korean having a neutral pronoun, literally doesn't understand that 'they' is a pronoun like he/she

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

gradenko_2000 posted:

check out what Hollywood thought the largest city in China looked like in 1999:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HycMC9RfkYc

lol

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

sexpig by night posted:

god I had to see if the D&D china thread even bothered to acknowledge the census numbers and it was literally just a wall of 'why are you even sharing these numbers, also the numbers are fake, also the Han are actually growing more but they're hiding it'. These people want a war to 'protect' Xinjiang so bad!

absolute ghouls

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Agrajag posted:

absolute ghouls

To be a bit more direct: Tianshannet is run by the Xinjiang regional government. The government in charge where the genocide is taking place, and (at least part of) the same one that denies the Uyghur genocide is happening in the first place.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
they genuinely think there are just holocaust level mass graves being hidden in a region ANYONE CAN ENTER, and the government is just inventing human beings and nobody is going 'wait no that's fake'

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

In the early 1950s the Chinese Communist party (CCP) was holding on to revolutionary victory by its fingernails. The postwar economy was in shambles, and the outbreak of the Korean war brought a nuclear hegemon to its doorstep, in the form of the United States. Not the moment most regimes would choose to enlarge their to-do lists. The CCP did, however, committing to officially recognising more minority peoples than any other Chinese regime in history. While Chiang Kai-shek’s nationalists had begrudgingly accepted the official existence of five groups in the 1930s and 40s, the Communists recognised 55 in all (plus the Han majority), many with populations under 10,000.

A remarkable amount of time and capital was dedicated to the celebration and bolstering of these groups. Perhaps the largest social survey in human history sent thousands of researchers into minority communities, filling libraries with their reports. Linguists created writing systems for minorities who did not already have them. The scale of the People’s Republic of China’s investment in groups it designated as “minorities” has been staggering.

Here’s the irony: the Chinese communists don’t believe that “ethnic identity” truly exists – not in the long run. Rooted in Marxism-Leninism, the party maintains (at least, it did) that class is the only fundamental dimension of human identity. Other collective identities, such as nationality, religion and ethnicity are long-lasting but ultimately ephemeral fictions, constructed by those at the top of the economic pyramid to distract the poor from seeking comradeship with fellow proletarians.

Why would the party invest in something it doesn’t think exists? To neutralise it.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
wish someone would neutralize me with lots of support and investment??

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

sexpig by night posted:

I saw a similar graph to this (link)

But it includes the 2021 number and the number is lowered after Biden.

It's interesting how much American public was "threatened" by China in 90s, when China basically had no navy and was busy making tee shirts and toys for the US/world. China wasn't loving competing with the US in any high tech area or foreign influence in the 90s.

All I can is say thank you comrade Bin Laden took the crosshair off 90s' China.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 18:56 on Jun 15, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mila kunis posted:

wish someone would neutralize me with lots of support and investment??

it's so loving funny to hear someone genuinely present 'actually the ideal cosmopolitan societies are just a mashed collection of ethnic and cultural enclaves with no solidarity and unity' as the anti-racist stance

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

It's better for everyone to be segregated into ethnic cantons than to risk slipping down the slope to cultural genocide.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/1JZGTE2000/status/1404838622424035334

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

trump supporters do act like a bunch of crackheads, especially mike lindell

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

they genuinely think there are just holocaust level mass graves being hidden in a region ANYONE CAN ENTER, and the government is just inventing human beings and nobody is going 'wait no that's fake'

i was bored af workin yesterday so i looked at the gbs thread and scrolled like 20 pages back and it was all about death camps and cspam lmfao. i love the forums. tri-china thread triangle 4ever

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

mila kunis posted:

In the early 1950s the Chinese Communist party (CCP) was holding on to revolutionary victory by its fingernails. The postwar economy was in shambles, and the outbreak of the Korean war brought a nuclear hegemon to its doorstep, in the form of the United States. Not the moment most regimes would choose to enlarge their to-do lists. The CCP did, however, committing to officially recognising more minority peoples than any other Chinese regime in history. While Chiang Kai-shek’s nationalists had begrudgingly accepted the official existence of five groups in the 1930s and 40s, the Communists recognised 55 in all (plus the Han majority), many with populations under 10,000.

A remarkable amount of time and capital was dedicated to the celebration and bolstering of these groups. Perhaps the largest social survey in human history sent thousands of researchers into minority communities, filling libraries with their reports. Linguists created writing systems for minorities who did not already have them. The scale of the People’s Republic of China’s investment in groups it designated as “minorities” has been staggering.

Here’s the irony: the Chinese communists don’t believe that “ethnic identity” truly exists – not in the long run. Rooted in Marxism-Leninism, the party maintains (at least, it did) that class is the only fundamental dimension of human identity. Other collective identities, such as nationality, religion and ethnicity are long-lasting but ultimately ephemeral fictions, constructed by those at the top of the economic pyramid to distract the poor from seeking comradeship with fellow proletarians.

Why would the party invest in something it doesn’t think exists? To neutralise it.

in the early hours of this day i pissed my pants
here's the irony: i also shitted them
why would i poo poo the pants i already pissed in? to neutralize it

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

i was bored af workin yesterday so i looked at the gbs thread and scrolled like 20 pages back and it was all about death camps and cspam lmfao. i love the forums. tri-china thread triangle 4ever

Here's a silly question that I have been idly wondering regarding the CCP's repressive takes on media.

Which would the CCP tantrum harder over? 1)A film where the main character literally has a direct to camera monologue in Mandarin saying "There is genocide happening in Xinjiang, and Xi Jinping, who looks like Winnie the Pooh, is behind it all!", or 2) a film where a minor character is shown in the background of an otherwise unimportant scene in an office which has a small Taiwanese flag on the desk.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

Here's a silly question that I have been idly wondering regarding the CCP's repressive takes on media.

Which would the CCP tantrum harder over? 1)A film where the main character literally has a direct to camera monologue in Mandarin saying "There is genocide happening in Xinjiang, and Xi Jinping, who looks like Winnie the Pooh, is behind it all!", or 2) a film where a minor character is shown in the background of an otherwise unimportant scene in an office which has a small Taiwanese flag on the desk.

they forgot about hong kong mei

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
All patriotic American should become unapologetic Pipehitters, Linesnorters, Pillpoppers and Dragonchasers.

Edit: A better joke is that it sounds dangerous to have a bunch of these unapologetic americans trying to compete with China. Hitting the pipe while you're chasing the dragon can be fatal.

Hedenius has issued a correction as of 22:44 on Jun 15, 2021

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

check out what Hollywood thought the largest city in China looked like in 1999:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HycMC9RfkYc

it looks kitschy and the skyline looks like the backdrop to a '90s talk show or the Make it Mac Tonight commercials but it could be worse

It does look like a heartless depiction of a bunch of doomed innocent people though

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

so we're at a point where we can all admit the only reason anyone's still clinging to the Pooh thing even with actual Chinese folks showing how common Pooh is in the country is they just want to draw a Chinese guy they hate as a yellow cartoon, right?

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

so we're at a point where we can all admit the only reason anyone's still clinging to the Pooh thing even with actual Chinese folks showing how common Pooh is in the country is they just want to draw a Chinese guy they hate as a yellow cartoon, right?

i always assumed it was that

and jesus christ lmao this thread is just wonderful. just saw a post talking about how ghosts are banned in chinese media and all the examples of ghosts in chinese media is just a result of selective enforcement, probably racially motivated...

parenti stays correct but couldnt have predicted how stupid the arguments would get

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

This is the ultimate form of a defectors grift. Having exhausted all that they could from stories of how insane their native country was, they instead coax the internal political divisions of a completely unrelated country to gain notoriety and then money. Its like Diamond and Silk on steroids.

Cao Ni Ma has issued a correction as of 23:39 on Jun 15, 2021

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hunter Biden's PAC is doing well looks like

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Cao Ni Ma posted:

This is the ultimate form of a defectors grift. Having exhausted all that they could from stories of how insane their native country was, they instead coax the internal political divisions of a completely unrelated country to gain notoriety and then money. Its like Diamond and Silk on steroids.

don’t miss out on the strategically placed YouTube award and book with her face on the cover

Popy
Feb 19, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 minutes!
i kinda respect the grift tbh

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/observingjapan/status/1404653750170624005

ive mentioned it elsewhere but it always bears repeating that the notion of the japanese as being an irrepressible warrior race is complete horseshit world war two turned them hard antiwar and its absolutely criminal how people think the whole no real army thing is something america forced on them and not something they had to fight for because we really wanted them to rearm and be a team player against the ruskies

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/hyunsuinseoul/status/1404910485674205185

on one end this woman is obviously a crank simply telling people what they want to hear

on the other end its very racist to doubt her just because shes telling a preposterous story designed to sell her book

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/BarbaraDemick/status/1404615647011745797

maybe im just infected by tankieism but it seems to me that if our main source of information that the holocaust happened at all was eyewitness testimony from people like marjorie taylor green at some point it might seem prudent to question whether there really was a holocaust or if theyre just making it up for political reasons

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the american right is down with the culture war sickness and nothing can tear them away from it. they gazed too deep into it and became possessed and forgot somewhere along the way that the anti-communist exiles are supposed to present a nice, friendly face but now liberals who'd otherwise be receptive get confused when they start spitting about the marxist takeover of the universities to turn the frogs gay.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i actually completely believe her when she says these things are comparable because yeonmi park was an idiot teenager the last time she was in north korea and probably considered literally any form of authority at all to be fascism

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

anyway big lols at d&d collectively going "doesn't look like anything to me" when presented with the raw data zenz uses that disproves zenz

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Raskolnikov38 posted:

anyway big lols at d&d collectively going "doesn't look like anything to me" when presented with the raw data zenz uses that disproves zenz

Lmao I was wondering what those types thought of the data. Can't trust the dastardly CPC I suppose.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lmao I was wondering what those types thought of the data. Can't trust the dastardly CPC I suppose.

it can only be trusted when properly analyzed by man that thinks he's heaven sent to destroy the PRC and doesn't know math

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Someone in yospos unironically said that they were murdered 20% of their population which is like 2 million people.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1404904028937539591?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

.... is japan not hosting this year?