Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
There is a TV buying thread full of helpful nerds you should check out https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523461

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I use my Xbox one X (the most powerful console on earth) to play destiny 2 on my LG Oled TV (with infinite contrast.) It’s awful in dark places because Bungies HDR implementation completely blacks out dark areas. Most games are amazing looking though including destiny in non dark areas.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Yeah I can guarantee that everyone in this thread who has a LG CX would say that it's worth every dollar they spent. Amazing TV

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

If I want to get a 4K TV I also have to get a receiver that supports all that newfangled stuff :(

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
No you don't. I have an XSX and an LG CX and a Denon receiver from 2010. Just use ARC or optical out from your TV to the receiver, and use the other HDMI inputs on the TV for your content.

As long as you don't have like 5 HDMI sources and need to use the receiver as a switch you can just bypass it entirely.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hanyolo posted:

Yeah I can guarantee that everyone in this thread who has a LG CX would say that it's worth every dollar they spent. Amazing TV

I was going to upgrade from a B8 to a CX but everyone said the C series were a step back and had terrible banding issues so i didnt bother since it was only for VRR/HDMI 2.1.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 16, 2021

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

American McGay posted:

No you don't. I have an XSX and an LG CX and a Denon receiver from 2010. Just use ARC or optical out from your TV to the receiver, and use the other HDMI inputs on the TV for your content.

As long as you don't have like 5 HDMI sources and need to use the receiver as a switch you can just bypass it entirely.

I have a PS5, Xbox Series X, Switch, and Apple TV that I all use regularly. :v:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stick with the 8 unless you need vrr badly or something. It will be a great tv for the rest of the decade why upgrade for no reason. Theres always some new feature to get fomo for

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ZeeBoi posted:

Ditch the PS5, problem solved. ;)

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

genuine question what does an apple tv do that isnt built into all smart tvs now

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Super No Vacancy posted:

genuine question what does an apple tv do that isnt built into all smart tvs now

Exists in apples ecosystem.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Super No Vacancy posted:

Smart TVs have banner ads and spy on you. And are horribly slow.

I’m in the Apple ecosystem too.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

It’s not a smart TV which is a huge plus. Never connect your TV to the internet.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Super No Vacancy posted:

It does everything better.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

American McGay posted:

It does everything better.

Except the very bad remote. Luckily the new remote looks less bad.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

New remote owns

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Laserface posted:

I was going to upgrade from a B8 to a CX but everyone said the C series were a step back and had terrible banding issues so i didnt bother since it was only for VRR/HDMI 2.1.

The only differences between the B and C series of the same model year, beyond cosmetic stuff, is the C series have better processors which can help with motion processing. They’re the same panels and I’ve pretty much never heard of any major visual differences between the B and C of the same generation that wasn’t in favor of the C series.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

gets updates beyond 1 year after sale?

my LG is pretty good with regards to ads and updates (they even buckled to pressure to get the B series TVs to support airplay 2 which they said was only possible on the C series) but apple TV does let you eek out a longer life from the TV once the apps stop getting updates.

i dont have an apple tv anymore, since i just use youtube and plex on my tv as apps.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 16, 2021

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

ZeeBoi posted:

If I want to get a 4K TV I also have to get a receiver that supports all that newfangled stuff :(

All hdmi 2.1 receivers have borked HDMI chips anyways. Proper fix will be this years later models.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Xbox has an Apple TV app now, Sony might as well.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm a weirdo who doesn't get the appeal of "Smart TVs". Just plug your computer in your TV if you want an "all-in-one" device.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

it's not the consumers that want more ad platforms in their life. there was a period when you could buy a more expensive dumb TV equivalent of some models but that's gone now. best thing you can do is not agree to the ToS

ZeeBoi posted:

the CX has four 2.1 ports
for some reason it stops labeling the PS5 and Switch in the input list if you disconnect them after the automatic setup. the Series X is fine and so is the Apple TV app on it, Atmos+Vision passthrough works and it's the same interface. the CX remote can be setup to talk to the Xbox's IR receiver even with CEC turned off.

Ruffian Price fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 16, 2021

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm a weirdo who doesn't get the appeal of "Smart TVs". Just plug your computer in your TV if you want an "all-in-one" device.
The appeal is that the TV companies can skim all your personal data and use it to sell ad space to third parties which helps subsidize the cost of the TV. They were a novelty like 15 years ago but nowadays the people excited about Smart TVs are the manufacturers, not the consumers.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

My local GameStop is going to have 4 Xs and 2 Ss, but I'm preparing myself for disappointment. I swung by around 9PM and no one was waiting, so I'm not sure how eager people are. I plan on getting there around 9AM (open at 11) and seeing what the scene is.

I got a One X for pennies a few years ago, I'll probably trade that in for the quick $250, no hassle. A Series X at $250 sounds way more attractive.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I sold my One X for like 160* so yeah thats a good deal.

*In Japan

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Most people just want to watch Netflix or whatever instead of pirated Anime.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

LODGE NORTH posted:

My local GameStop is going to have 4 Xs and 2 Ss, but I'm preparing myself for disappointment. I swung by around 9PM and no one was waiting, so I'm not sure how eager people are. I plan on getting there around 9AM (open at 11) and seeing what the scene is.

I got a One X for pennies a few years ago, I'll probably trade that in for the quick $250, no hassle. A Series X at $250 sounds way more attractive.

Didn’t realize the One X was getting almost what I paid for it in trade in value. I’d be inclined to an early morning sidewalk nap if that was close by.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Most people just want to watch Netflix or whatever instead of pirated Anime.

I have a couple of cheap TCL TVs with Roku embedded. The last one we bought for a 42” bedroom TV is absolutely dogshit as a streaming platform, Netflix especially. The other one is great and works way better than my other options (Xfintity thing and Chromecast) on that TV.

highme fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 16, 2021

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Somehow I scored a Series S on a whim from Target at like 3PM on a Tuesday.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

I’m doing the same thing. I’ll head over around 9am with a One X to trade in, but I’m not getting up earlier or anything. Every re-stock Twitter account has been sending alerts all day, so it might be a poo poo show.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

The show was very strong, I want to play like 90% of what they featured. The Forza 5 environments look incredible, they should build an RPG with that engine.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

The show was very strong, I want to play like 90% of what they featured. The Forza 5 environments look incredible, they should build an RPG with that engine.

idk if :thejoke: or not, but they are! Fable is running on (some custom version I’m sure of) ForzaTech.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I watched both trailers like 4 times each. I still can't get over how good it looks.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

punk rebel ecks posted:

Lol this is a total goon solution. Most people don't want to do that and it's just a clunky ugly solution that involves too many hoops to get this working properly.

With a smart.tv the experience is streamlined and easy (at least with Roku TVs) and most smart tv apps are optimized to work best on that tv so you'll get the best experience using it

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Soooo where do I download these demos? I'm on the Xbone and they're just not there. They highlight the Sexbox but they should still be available on the Xbone, right?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

BonoMan posted:

Lol this is a total goon solution. Most people don't want to do that and it's just a clunky ugly solution that involves too many hoops to get this working properly.

With a smart.tv the experience is streamlined and easy (at least with Roku TVs) and most smart tv apps are optimized to work best on that tv so you'll get the best experience using it

You can't play Final Fantasy XIV or Phantasy Star 2: New Genesis on a smart TV. Is that a "total goon solution" too? :smuggo:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

have had my roku tv for like 3 years now and not really sure what i need the netflix and tubi apps to do better when they already play the content i tell them to. granted the hbo max app sucks but i have it on good authority that it sucks on every platform

Barudak
May 7, 2007

al-azad posted:

Soooo where do I download these demos? I'm on the Xbone and they're just not there. They highlight the Sexbox but they should still be available on the Xbone, right?

They were just in the demos section of the store page for me on Sexbox

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I bought a Chromecast with Google TV when hbo max came out and it wasn't on lg's webOS...and that device is great. Aggregates content and googles voice recognition is top notch.

I thought everyone in here would be talking about the Elex 2 announcement.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Anno posted:

idk if :thejoke: or not, but they are! Fable is running on (some custom version I’m sure of) ForzaTech.
Oh nice! I really had no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Okay the smallest icon just appeared in the games shop in the smallest box :D