Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

This game looks cool imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I would very much like to play this video game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

lih posted:

yeah it sounds like The Lands Between is the whole game world, and it has six regions, each with a major dungeon with one of the demigods in it, and these major dungeons are still part of the open world. each of the regions will have smaller dungeons/castles/etc. to explore as well and there will also be a hub area that connects the regions

Going heavy on the souls 1 style non-linearity and interconnectedness is what I want from future FROM titles, so I'm pretty happy.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I hope there is nothing that cock blocks me like the last fight in sekiro. I never beat it and it pisses me off every time I tried. Welp.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Oh look, it’s a new dark souls game. Cool.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

vandalism posted:

I hope there is nothing that cock blocks me like the last fight in sekiro. I never beat it and it pisses me off every time I tried. Welp.
Did you try not hesitating

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

vandalism posted:

The trick is to let your eyes unfocus from the screen and let instinct take over.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
There was no more gud to be... gitted? Err... gotten.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

vandalism posted:

Miyazaki said in one of those interviews he didn't want players to get stuck on a boss. Heck you don't even need to beat all the bosses to beat the game. Just like a handful. But then you prob get the normal crappy ending instead of the cool one that doesnt make any sense. im a squid now yeahhh

Also there's gonna be cool spirit buddies you can summon. On top of proper co-op. So this wont be like sekiro. I wouldn't worry about getting stuck :)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if I get stuck somewhere i'm going to level up and gain lots of power and health. I'll work hard

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

stev posted:

The trick is to let your eyes unfocus from the screen and let instinct take over.

Too hard. I just wear a blindfold and listen intensely.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

JBP posted:

I'm kind of hoping the central tree thing and the world itself is designed in such a way that you can navigate by landmarks without needing anything else. I'm not sure how, but Miyazaki said they're going to guide you along the mainline path. I'd like to see them do it in an unobtrusive and interesting way if possible.

I really enjoyed playing tsushima with the map and stuff all switched off just using the wind to guide me for example.

While Dark Souls 1 stands out for its cool interconnected world, it's not actually great for putting down landmarks for you to navigate by. Like it's not immediately obvious that the first Bell is right above Firelink Shrine, or that the Wyvern Bridge is above the Undead Burg bonfire. Sure you realize it eventually, but it takes a while. The lighting engine just doesn't sell it. And when you start heading down, to Blight Town, or New Londo, or Valley of the Drakes, you very quickly lose any sense of the landmarks. You know intellectually where things are, but there's no gut intuition.

Bloodborne is much better at it, most of the city areas take place around the Great Bridge, and you almost always have the Grand Cathedral to navigate around.

Hopefully Elden Ring shows how much better they are at getting a sense of place. And with BotW as an inspiration, and much better tech and draw distances, they could pull it off.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Phobophilia posted:

While Dark Souls 1 stands out for its cool interconnected world, it's not actually great for putting down landmarks for you to navigate by. Like it's not immediately obvious that the first Bell is right above Firelink Shrine, or that the Wyvern Bridge is above the Undead Burg bonfire. Sure you realize it eventually, but it takes a while. The lighting engine just doesn't sell it. And when you start heading down, to Blight Town, or New Londo, or Valley of the Drakes, you very quickly lose any sense of the landmarks. You know intellectually where things are, but there's no gut intuition.

Bloodborne is much better at it, most of the city areas take place around the Great Bridge, and you almost always have the Grand Cathedral to navigate around.

Hopefully Elden Ring shows how much better they are at getting a sense of place. And with BotW as an inspiration, and much better tech and draw distances, they could pull it off.

Another game that did this super well was Fallout New Vegas, you can see the strip from almost anywhere and there were plenty of landmarks all over the place.

I still never know where I am in relation to another place when I play DS1 haha

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

vandalism posted:

I got super bored of Sekiro's repetitive combat towards the end and just turned on a cheat engine thing. Mr. Sword Saint had no answer for attacks that did 999 damage or whatever.

In Elden Ring news, I'm feeling extreeeemely hyped about this. Even just knowing Miyazaki is taking some notes from Ueda/SotC is very exciting. I'm sure this will feel like "just more Dark Souls" to a lot of people, but for me personally, all I want is a fresh set of mechanics on More Dark Souls, and it sounds like that's what we're getting!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

mary had a little clam posted:

I got super bored of Sekiro's repetitive combat towards the end and just turned on a cheat engine thing.

:prepop:

I wish I knew what to say to this. I guess we see the game completely differently in every way.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

It's interesting because both my friends who are super into soulsborne games made the same complaint about Sekiro - think their issue was that the way posture worked made boss fights feel like a slog rather than an epic duel.

I haven't got around to Sekiro yet so I don't have an opinion on if that's a hot take or not.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It is a hot take. If you're good at your deflections/parries most of the fights go pretty fast. Though when I first started fighting say Genichiro it seemed like the fight was gonna take awhile because I was trying to whittle away his health bar but once I got down the timing of parries it went so much quicker.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I just hope it has mikiri counters.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

In every from game spears guys, dogs and arrow guys gave me trouble. Sekiro gave me shurikens to defeat dogs and Mikiri to defeat spear guys.

I laughed my way through. They would never hurt me again.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Parrying dogs is the best, the deathbed comes out immediately and the whole interaction finishes in about .25 seconds, looks sick

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Also my first attempt at Geni phase three I was able to win on a mikiri counter and it made me feel like a true shinobi.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

VideoGames posted:

made me feel like a true shinobi.

Joe Musashi?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Sekiro has the somewhat unfortunate quality that fights take longer the worse and the more scared you are, to the point where not being aggressive enough can basically condemn you fight some enemies forever (or until you figure out what the game wants)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

skasion posted:

Sekiro has the somewhat unfortunate quality that fights take longer the worse and the more scared you are, to the point where not being aggressive enough can basically condemn you fight some enemies forever (or until you figure out what the game wants)

It's not like Isshin isn't telling you the entire tine

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm going to play this game and maybe even be good at it

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I'm going to be bad at the game

Then good

Then bad again

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

VideoGames posted:

:prepop:

I wish I knew what to say to this. I guess we see the game completely differently in every way.

I was in the same boat as mary when I played tbh. First I thought I didn't like Sekiro because I was really bad at it, then I got the trick to combat and kept not liking it. I think I might be down to enjoying gothic horror and Bezerk style dark fantasy more than high fantasy Japan, because it's not like other Soulsborne games are somehow more complex, but they felt much more satisfying to play.

Basically Elden Ring looks like it could become my new gaming everything.

EDIT: Besides aesthetic preference, loving Sekiro hinges on really liking that katana, because they definitely went for depth over breadth that time out. All of the stances, moves and tools work to put you in a position to use the katana in a manner appropriate for the situation. If mastering that specific weapon doesn't fill you with joy, the best you can do is admire their design prowess, which I don't necessarily consider fun or satisfying. Bury me in weapons, Miyazaki.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 16, 2021

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!

skasion posted:

It took about 3 hours of attempts at Genichiro for me to figure this out, and after that every subsequent fight became a lot more fun. As a result, Sekiro ended up being the only From Software game where I felt that by the end I had mastered the mechanics, rather than just fumbling or leveling my way through.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I'm going to be incredibly bad at this game and still beat it maybe with the power of friendship

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I beat genichiro on my 2nd attempt. Prob my finest gaming moment. My cousin was stuck on him for 3 days. Everything just instantly clicked for me right at that fight. This was after struggling with madame butterfly for hours on end.

The last few bosses def did not go as smoothly for me though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VideoGames posted:

In every from game spears guys, dogs and arrow guys gave me trouble. Sekiro gave me shurikens to defeat dogs and Mikiri to defeat spear guys.

I laughed my way through. They would never hurt me again.

This just in, Elden Ring will allow you to catch and return arrows

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

UrbicaMortis posted:

It's interesting because both my friends who are super into soulsborne games made the same complaint about Sekiro - think their issue was that the way posture worked made boss fights feel like a slog rather than an epic duel.

I haven't got around to Sekiro yet so I don't have an opinion on if that's a hot take or not.

That's a hot take, because Sekiro has the closest thing any video game has ever come to making you feel like you're part of an "epic duel". That's literally how I describe the game.

Also, as mentioned earlier, if you're good the fights go REALLY fast, they're only a slog if you're not actually learning the boss yet.

But that's the problem with Sekiro, the same problem Dark Souls 1 originally had. People go in with expectations and die and then get frustrated and give up, rather than learning they need to approach the game different.

With Souls 1 it was approaching the game like other videogames (Running into the Catacombs, getting killed, and trying over and over assuming that must be the only direction you can go, etc.) and with Sekiro it was approaching the game like Dark Souls.

The sad shame is too many people just weren't willing to engage with the new mechanics, so they hit a wall and gave up :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

I was in the same boat as mary when I played tbh. First I thought I didn't like Sekiro because I was really bad at it, then I got the trick to combat and kept not liking it. I think I might be down to enjoying gothic horror and Bezerk style dark fantasy more than high fantasy Japan, because it's not like other Soulsborne games are somehow more complex, but they felt much more satisfying to play.

Basically Elden Ring looks like it could become my new gaming everything.

EDIT: Besides aesthetic preference, loving Sekiro hinges on really liking that katana, because they definitely went for depth over breadth that time out. All of the stances, moves and tools work to put you in a position to use the katana in a manner appropriate for the situation. If mastering that specific weapon doesn't fill you with joy, the best you can do is admire their design prowess, which I don't necessarily consider fun or satisfying. Bury me in weapons, Miyazaki.

I could see finding Sekiro lacking if you really like the whole RPG builds aspect of Dark Souls, that's something I find lacking myself.

My first thing with any Souls game after I beat it is to create a new character and play again with totally different stats. Used dex weapons last time? Go all Faith on this build, baby!

But with Sekiro the thing to do isn't make a different build, its just to do NG+ (or if you're cool, charmless) which I found incredibly satisfying too, but its a very different thing.

That combined with no co-op means that Sekiro can be more monotonous. If you're stuck on a boss, all you can do is git gud. There's no going back and leveling up and getting a new weapon.

Personally though I loved that, since it freed me from doubt. If you have different weapon builds, its possible to build wrong. Dying on a boss? Maybe your sword could use a +2 upgrade. Maybe you need 5 more vitality. Maybe your armor has the wrong resistance. But in Sekiro, these doubts do not exist. Dying on a boss? You haven't learned the boss yet. Period. End of discussion.

That purity creates an elegance to the game, everybody who beats it does it roughly the same, using the same katana on the same bosses at the same health points that FROM intended.

Someone was saying before that in Souls, which bosses are hard and which are easy vary wildly from player to player. A boss I got stuck on for 10 tries you may have beat the first try. But Sekiro brings that closer together, everybody has something closer to the intended FROM experience. (Although there's still variability possible in Sekiro with noticing little tricks, using tools or not, etc.)

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I want a giant who throws lances at you during the day but then at night comes down to retrieve all the lances they've thrown at you so you can fight them face to shin.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I love the idea of wandering enemies in a FROM game, so you can engage them where you want, and some boss arenas would have more advantage.

Its like the idea of the Pursuer from DS2 but way better.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

mary had a little clam posted:

I got super bored of Sekiro's repetitive combat towards the end and just turned on a cheat engine thing. Mr. Sword Saint had no answer for attacks that did 999 damage or whatever.

i never knew u was a games journalist

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
If you want some fromsoft game hot takes I got a good one for ya

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

If you want some fromsoft game hot takes I got a good one for ya

How do I tea bag in Dark Souls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

skasion posted:

How do I tea bag in Dark Souls

That's what I want to know!!