Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah this was just the team buffing up and eating their super foods before going into the boss room, they even say "ready for the raid?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
chapter 53

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Seire is the kind of fantasy fan that hates urban fantasy

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Dang, that’s a pretty good callback to Frieren making the flowers at that statue of Himmel.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Let's see if parse this correctly...

After causing the clone to lose track of Fern, Frieren purposefully put herself in a position where the clone saw an opening, which then rushed in with spell charging, and was then destroyed by Fern, but if Fern had messed up, then the clone would have fired a point-blank spell at "vulnerable" Frieren?

That displays a lot of trust and very good teamwork. No wonder though, seeing how long they've been together.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Warden posted:

Let's see if parse this correctly...

After causing the clone to lose track of Fern, Frieren purposefully put herself in a position where the clone saw an opening, which then rushed in with spell charging, and was then destroyed by Fern, but if Fern had messed up, then the clone would have fired a point-blank spell at "vulnerable" Frieren?

That displays a lot of trust and very good teamwork. No wonder though, seeing how long they've been together.

Well, very long for Fern.

For Frieren, it's barely a weekend.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

This is very good, I'm glad I caught the thread by accident.

Now to forget about it so I can binge all the updates next year.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Just started this series and read the the 5th chapter where they encounter Qual and really love buildup and world building in this chapter. You spend the whole chapter kind of worried Frieren is taking the danger of this Lt. of the demon king lightly with how little prep is being done. Then when the confrontation comes you find out that his insanely powerful magic from decades ago is literally what is considered bog standard offensive combat magic today. And not only that but they have developed defenses to it that make it, if not trivial, completely manageable.

I just love this whole scene. It's amazing at showing how the world has moved on and time keeps ticking.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Good that they finally made it clear that yes, we're dealing with Tolkienic elves with indefinite lifespans.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
It's odd that if Flamme's wish was to make magic more widespread among humans, which Frieren seemed to be in favor of, the hero's party finds her still living as a hermit puttering around with rare magics. Something happened in the interim (or maybe very little). Maybe Serie's response just put her in a funk for a few decades(?).

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

It's odd that if Flamme's wish was to make magic more widespread among humans, which Frieren seemed to be in favor of, the hero's party finds her still living as a hermit puttering around with rare magics. Something happened in the interim (or maybe very little). Maybe Serie's response just put her in a funk for a few decades(?).
IIRC nine hundred years pass between Flamme's death and the heroes finding Frieren - so I really wonder what she was doing all that time.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
Serie and Frieran both seem to understand Flamme's wish as being completed or mostly completed, since humans no longer treat magic as witchcraft and there are public mages, and that was still the case centuries later when Frieran joined the party. Also, Frieran acted like she was in favor of it but in a vague way rather than a gung ho let's do it way.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I'd forgotten it was that long for some reason. Yeah, I guess even for an elf 900 years is enough time to get tired/cynical about Johnny Appleseed-ing magic around, if that even is what she was doing in the first place. Still plenty we don't know about the interim. She did genuinely seem interested in being able to "encounter tons of mages from now on".

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 10, 2021

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
At the beginning of the tournament ark, Frieren spent a lot of time complaining about how nobody respects her membership in the old mages organisation. That one is probably the one founded by Flamme, which explains why she is so annoyed that nobody recognizes her badge.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Grouchio posted:

IIRC nine hundred years pass between Flamme's death and the heroes finding Frieren - so I really wonder what she was doing all that time.

Nothing, probably. It's only 900 years.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Wasn't it also the plan for Frieren to slowly accumulate mana to basically assassinate the demon king? Better to live a quiet life so to not draw unwanted attention before she was ready.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

chapter 54

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The magic theory stuff in this manga is really interesting. I like silly stuff like that.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Well that girl continues to be frightening.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Makes sense to me!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

Makes sense to me!

I mean, who hasn't had a haircut?

...Not so much recently, maybe, but the principle is sound.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
"What are you going to do? Cut me?" said first-class Mage Burg before he was cut.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

Well that girl continues to be frightening.

Confidence and delusion are merely two sides of the same coin. She just opts to spin hers on the table instead of flipping it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Motherfuckers keep telling me what I can't cut and I'm like "Bitch, it's just cloth and hair"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The girl is Royalty and everyone there is right to be afraid of her.

Now no one tell her bolt cutters exist

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I like the implication that if these dummies had enchanted a little chainmail or something this country girl wouldn't have been able to crack it. But they had to go for light and impressive things like enchanting robes and hair.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

I Am Fowl posted:

I like the implication that if these dummies had enchanted a little chainmail or something this country girl wouldn't have been able to crack it. But they had to go for light and impressive things like enchanting robes and hair.

I mean, who wants to lug chainmail around, no matter how light? Clearly she's the crazy one

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she's scissors in a world almost exclusively composed of rock and paper.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
And a new chapter is live.

chapter 55

That ending had me in stiches.

Edit. Link fixed.

Warden fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 23, 2021

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Warden posted:

And a new chapter is live.

chapter 55

That ending had me in stiches.

Lmaoooooooooooo

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The link takes me to 54 and (bizarrely, since it's exactly the same site) I can't see 55 from there. This one works: https://reader.kireicake.com/read/frieren_at_the_funeral/en/0/55/page/1

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Never change Frieren.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I feel like at this point they are just incredibly friendly and mostly just hold people in their mouth for comfort.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Mulva posted:

I feel like at this point they are just incredibly friendly and mostly just hold people in their mouth for comfort.

Like large, grotesque golden retrievers

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Sindai posted:

The link takes me to 54 and (bizarrely, since it's exactly the same site) I can't see 55 from there. This one works: https://reader.kireicake.com/read/frieren_at_the_funeral/en/0/55/page/1

Thanks for the heads up, I fixed the link.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kibibit posted:

Like large, grotesque golden retrievers

It could also be that Fieran is just so used to being eaten that it doesn't do real damage any more.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

chapter 56

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

hes back...

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Frieren is starting to understand :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Did Denken adopt that one chick or what?