Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hector Delgado posted:

Pontypool was a pretty good zombie movie with an unique way of transmission.

Oh drat, Pontypool was actually really creepy. It's also extremely funny for anybody who grew up in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

June 4 2021
Jun 4, 2021

by Pragmatica
The Empty Man was actually pretty good

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The Descent has a few jump scares but it's a brilliant horror movie regardless.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Chrs posted:

Inferno is kinda dull from what I remember. I’ve seen it twice and also couldn’t tell you what happens in it. Might as well give it another try.

Mother of Tears however is an absolute poo poo pile.

Good to know. I may give Inferno another try since I nearly finished it with eyes open, but reading the synopsis of Mother of Tears does not interest me one bit.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
The Last Exorcism was super good.

Phony Horse
Oct 22, 2020

“The Witch” (2015) and “The Lighthouse” (2019) are both directed by Robert Eggers and they’re both exceptional. The Witch has a couple jump scares, but nothing major.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If you don't mind foreign films Impetigore might meet your requirements.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdKU13L5MCI

Though it did leave me wondering about the real estate situation in Indonesia. Lady thinks she might have inherited a house she can sell for big bucks. But the house is in this shithole village. I mean, I'm missing some cultural context about Indonesia, but it seems to be their version of hillbillies. Village so small it isn't on the maps, it doesn't have a paved road, the house is the nicest house in town but it doesn't have electricity or running water. From the women's reaction it would be considered a nice house, but how valuable can it be considering the location? Who would buy it? Who would want to live in an impoverished rural village except the people who already live there?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Bone Tomahawk

I guess theres some jump scares here and there but the scary thing is the, thing.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Fallen (denzel washington) is also good without jumpy scares

Frailty, also good

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Aniara was a wonderful existential terror.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Supreme Allah posted:

Bone Tomahawk

I guess theres some jump scares here and there but the scary thing is the, thing.

Chickory is my spirit animal

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
The Changeling with George C Scott is really good

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Hector Delgado posted:

Pontypool was a pretty good zombie movie with an unique way of transmission.

Pontypool is half of a good movie. The second half of the movie just abandons the cool gimmick they're using in favor of the same old boring zombie movie cliches.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

You Are A Elf posted:

Good to know. I may give Inferno another try since I nearly finished it with eyes open, but reading the synopsis of Mother of Tears does not interest me one bit.

If you haven’t seen it try the Suspiria remake aswell. Its a loose adaption of the movie and it doesn’t try to copy the style of the first movie (to its benefit). Its a lot better than I expected it to be. I think Amazon own it so it should be available on Prime

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Pimpcasso posted:

Chickory is my spirit animal

Same

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Violation

it's not supernatural horror, but it really stuck with me. shocking and brutal with a great performance by the lead

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The Void is another good one. It's one of those good Lovecraftian movies, with good tension and pacing. Also has great creature design.

Also does Session 9 count? Or does it lean a little more towards thriller than actual horror?

Valko posted:

Another found footage fan. Savageland is excellent but I found Bad Ben to be a bit boring, I didn't finish watching it.

Understandable. Bad Ben is definitely one of those movies that either works for you or it doesn't. It's like The Room in a way. Personally I feel its a good horror comedy, especially once the guy is sleeping and then suddenly the ghost (as a bad adobe effect) just starts beating the poo poo out of him, then it just gets silly.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

a mysterious cloak posted:

Are you trolling?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Archer666 posted:

The Void is another good one. It's one of those good Lovecraftian movies, with good tension and pacing. Also has great creature design.

Also does Session 9 count? Or does it lean a little more towards thriller than actual horror?

Understandable. Bad Ben is definitely one of those movies that either works for you or it doesn't. It's like The Room in a way. Personally I feel its a good horror comedy, especially once the guy is sleeping and then suddenly the ghost (as a bad adobe effect) just starts beating the poo poo out of him, then it just gets silly.

All of the subsequent sequels were fun too. It was cool to see them have so much fun poking fun at their own movie.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Watched Carrie (the original) last week. It's actually really good. I hadn't seen it in a while. Forgot how good it is. Not reliant on jump scares.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

'Come and See' and ' Threads'.

Keep your shrink on speeddial.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Can't remember if it has any jump scares but Goodnight Mommy is pretty good. The Lodge, by the same writers/directors, is also decent.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Molentik posted:

'Come and See' and ' Threads'.

Keep your shrink on speeddial.

Come and See sure was hosed up. What's Threads?

Also Veronica is one of the few horror movies Nflx put out that i've liked.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

kntfkr posted:

Come and See sure was hosed up. What's Threads?

Also Veronica is one of the few horror movies Nflx put out that i've liked.

Threads is a BBC docu-drama from the 80s about a nuclear war that is one of the most harrowing and soul crushing things ever to be filmed. It does not pull any punches about just how hosed up the nuclear war is going to be.

https://archive.org/details/threads_201712

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Valko posted:

Are you trolling?

Seriously, that movie was way too slow.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ginette Reno posted:

Watched Carrie (the original) last week. It's actually really good. I hadn't seen it in a while. Forgot how good it is. Not reliant on jump scares.

I seem to recall one at the VERY end that got me good but then I was like 12 at a sleepover and absolutely should not have been watching it anyway

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
right right right right, i knew it sounded familiar. I heard about it years ago here on SA but never got around to watching it. sounds like a movie i have to watch alone so i don't get bugged to turn it off

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh is great and never gets talked about. It's a slow and somber exploration of grief, guilt, and family estrangement that methodically ramps up the claustrophobia and creepiness then ends- as a ghost story should- on a quietly heartbreaking note.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

a mysterious cloak posted:

Movie rules.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Threads is a BBC docu-drama from the 80s about a nuclear war that is one of the most harrowing and soul crushing things ever to be filmed. It does not pull any punches about just how hosed up the nuclear war is going to be.

And yowza, what an ending

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Valko posted:

Are you trolling?

Come to my house and see

super sweet best pal posted:

Seriously, that movie was way too slow.

It's slow, but you can't question how thick it is with creepiness.

:respek:

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I grew up where this is set so this movie was extra hosed up for me.

When I was 20 I actually lived on the next street over from where this shot was filmed lol

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Coraline is pretty good if you want horror aimed at kids.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Chrs posted:

I grew up where this is set so this movie was extra hosed up for me.

When I was 20 I actually lived on the next street over from where this shot was filmed lol

You might be interested in podcast Atomic Hobo, she’s doing an obsessive run of shows about Threads, analyzing four minutes of Threads per episode.

And if you’re into the history of nuclear terror the other episodes are cool too.

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
Jacob's ladder

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CPL593H posted:

It's not scary it's just sad and kind of gross. I can see maybe why one might call it a horror movie but it's really not.

It's more of a thriller than anything, also really loving boring.

Archer666 posted:

Savageland

This film's fantastic and the presentation is so drat unique.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I just remembered one: Possum was disquieting as gently caress.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Das Boo posted:

I just remembered one: Possum was disquieting as gently caress.

I’ve not seen it and know nothing about it however I have scrolled past that on some streaming service a few times in the past enough to recognise the title as the one where even the poster unsettles me.

Snowy posted:

You might be interested in podcast Atomic Hobo, she’s doing an obsessive run of shows about Threads, analyzing four minutes of Threads per episode.

And if you’re into the history of nuclear terror the other episodes are cool too.

I’ll check that out. Apparently it’s on Spotify

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
In the same vein as Threads there also the 1965 movie The War Game. It's not quite as horrific as Threads but the dry and detached documentary styles makes it maybe even more unsettling in some ways.

https://www.docsonline.tv/the-war-game/