Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

povetkin's retired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Povetkin was really underrated. Only lost to the best of the best of the last 20 years (Wlad, Joshua). His loss to Whyte was more of a loss to COVID, really. Too bad he was only like 6'2 220ish. If he was a few inches taller the history of the heavyweight division may have been completely different.

Anyways, now he can move on to Russian parliament like all the other retired Russian fighters.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Tommy Hearns

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jack B Nimble posted:

My journey through every fight in James Toney's career has reached a really strange tone
Are you gonna follow through with watching any of his recent interviews? His mumbling and CTE mannerisms are insanely depressing. He had a lot of fights but I'd say didn't get hit as much as some fighters do.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ugh, no, I can't say it was part of my plan. drat that sucks. You know, there's an argument made that fighting frequently isn't as big a contributor to CTE as low level concussions from lots of heavy sparring; that the sparring can give you hours' worth of slight trauma per week for decades. Not sure what Toney's career says about that, but he (so far in my watching) probably fought a lot of fights dehydrated.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

You know, there's an argument made that fighting frequently isn't as big a contributor to CTE as low level concussions from lots of heavy sparring; that the sparring can give you hours' worth of slight trauma per week for decades.

Yeah, I would agree that getting KO'ed 10 times is not likely as significant a factor as taking thousands of good shots in training, and that we just can't tell what kind of damage people are taking between their fights.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ugh, no, I can't say it was part of my plan. drat that sucks. You know, there's an argument made that fighting frequently isn't as big a contributor to CTE as low level concussions from lots of heavy sparring; that the sparring can give you hours' worth of slight trauma per week for decades. Not sure what Toney's career says about that, but he (so far in my watching) probably fought a lot of fights dehydrated.

I'm pretty sure that Toney was big on having constant, full-length sparring bouts.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Yeah Toney literally did nothing but spar. He eschewed almost all other kinds of training in favour of it.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Teofimo tested positive for COVID so the Triller card Saturday is off meaning now only ESPN, DAZN and Showtime will have boxing on Saturday night. Dark times indeed.l

Edit: Apparently symptomatic which is especially bad considering he is asthmatic.

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1404854876098662408?s=19

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 15, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

drat, US athletes should just get vaxed. Hard not to read into it.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The SituAsian posted:

Teofimo tested positive for COVID so the Triller card Saturday is off meaning now only ESPN, DAZN and Showtime will have boxing on Saturday night. Dark times indeed.l

Edit: Apparently symptomatic which is especially bad considering he is asthmatic.

Holy poo poo, how did I of all people, forget that Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. - Anderson Silva is also happening on Saturday.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Yeah Toney literally did nothing but spar. He eschewed almost all other kinds of training in favour of it.

makes sense. His timing and counters were loving ridiculous, but I remember, even in the lead up to his one UFC fight, he was talking in a way that really, really worried me for his brain health.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

The SituAsian posted:

At the moment there is not good evidence that asthma contributes to severity or morbidity of covid 19. It totally makes sense that it would but it appears that it doesn’t. Covid 19 is weird.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The SituAsian posted:

Holy poo poo, how did I of all people, forget that Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. - Anderson Silva is also happening on Saturday.

i didn't know this was happening and can't really believe it.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

The SituAsian posted:

Isn't Chavez Sr. also fighting on that card?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Mr. F! posted:

Isn't Chavez Sr. also fighting on that card?

yeah

he’s boxing camacho jr

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
USSR baby!

Also if there is any drug testing (recreational or PE) no way this happens

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1405562252904828935?s=19

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The last time I saw Del la Hoya on screen he'd put on a ton of weight, so I'd welcome this if only to see him get in better shape. Also, from what I've seen of michael Moorer when he was cornering somebody he could step right into the ring today and Kronk somebody.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

The SituAsian posted:

USSR baby!

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1405562252904828935?s=19

It being Triller and going by their last broadcast there will be no drug testing conducted. The most sober person shown on screen was probably the Biebs.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Triller is Affliction 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The SituAsian posted:

Also if there is any drug testing

ahahahaha

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

The SituAsian posted:

USSR baby!

Presumably all fighters will have to have some minimum amount of THC in their systems to compete.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
There's a also a coke sniffer vs foot sniffer joke to be made but I'm busy atm

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
gently caress yes

https://twitter.com/heyitsmarcosv/status/1405941060262522885

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What was the agreed weight, 180?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

kimbo305 posted:

What was the agreed weight, 180?

another tweet said 182

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/dannyseguratv/status/1405983077319512071?s=21
Never ever change, JCC Jr.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I was joking earlier but the more I think about it the more I like Chavez Jr. as a future Jake Paul opponent. He's a great combination of big name + actual professional boxer + easily beatable.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i can't stop thinking about jccjr looking like just absolute poo poo at all times except for a single round with sergio where he nearly legitimately beat a legitimately great boxer.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

I just wanna say one thing...God Bless America

Marching Powder posted:

i can't stop thinking about jccjr looking like just absolute poo poo at all times except for a single round with sergio where he nearly legitimately beat a legitimately great boxer.

Didn't Sergio tear his knee all to poo poo in that last round and that's why JCC Jr mounted that almost miraculous comeback?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

Triller is Affliction 2021

This is 10000000% true

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Buff Tannen posted:

Didn't Sergio tear his knee all to poo poo in that last round and that's why JCC Jr mounted that almost miraculous comeback?

I know Sergio became extremely compromised not long after that fight but iirc he legitimately nearly died to jccjr when he decided to use his one round of gas

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Boxing 2021: The UFC's new retirement plan

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/1406093156270051328?s=20

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
MMA fighters trying to prove their style is stronger than Youtubing.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

mma fighters with life changing brain damage willing to do literally anything for the type of payday they could only ever dream of even if they were literal champs of the biggest mma org on the planet

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

If you missed it, Gabe Rosado had a pretty fantastic one punch knockout on DAZN earlier:

https://twitter.com/DAZNBoxing/status/1406364451234844673

https://twitter.com/DAZNBoxing/status/1406365753431973895

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

dude said it reminded him of a pacquiao punch but my first thought was tyson. what a punch.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol this promo on ESPN for inoue is so cheesy

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Good soup! posted:

lol this promo on ESPN for inoue is so cheesy

It would be lovely if the inoue card would ever actually start

edit: ha, moments after I posted, it started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU