Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
Mordin - Mesa Undercaverns, Cogworld

"I am Mordin, a traveller. Laura has been helping me since her transition." Mordin gave a slight head bob in acknowledgement. "It seems those above are quite hostile. I don't believe we were followed but could we go somewhere safe to talk more?" Mordin was curious about the story of just what was occurring here. "I am not from around here, quite far away in fact. So I curious how this all came to be...Mister..?"

Conversating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Kyleth, the Beguiling - Florith Pendent Quarter

A moment to refocus on that brand.

Oh good, you are listening. Yes, you heard correctly. Are you willing to enter a conversation of peers to discuss matters further and more plainly, or need I work my way through the entire pantheon here first?

Addressing the thing that dared brand me, Imbue Trinket [+2] from his earlier work in the tower, Sorcery [+2] and Incarnate [+2] to open hailing frequencies and just talk now that they are listening and willing to listen.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The Drosai - The Butterfly Door

The Drosai stands alert at the sound of voices, and after attempting to haul off one of the jars of acid, would scurry to make itself scarce.

-----

Attempting to steal one of the glass jars of liquid, and whether or not I can, using Supernatural Stonecunning +2 to flee or hide with my possible prize.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Rade - Flower Door, Namin Caves, Ganmorrin's cave

"Uggh. The overdweller priests. All they care about is buttering up the gods for their own personal gain. None of them care about anything beyond their own petty politics." Ganmorrin began to grumble as you moved in, and his complaints gave you a small insight into some aspects of the two sides of the world. The aquatic peoples still worshipped the gods, although some of them in different forms and with different priorities (a god of wind and rain was less relevant to underwater communities) but their plight with the Deep Monarchs had not been aided greatly by the gods. This had shaken their faith and many people who might have once contributed to the wealth and influence of those organisations now had to focus on their own survival. Also it seemed like there were some priests who were uniquely blessed by their gods and could use some sort of divine granted magic, while most were just people who followed and extolled the teachings of their chosen patron.

When you arrived at Ganmorrin's home there was a bit of a scene and confrontation between his wife and his new form, but they spent a while discussing it privately and in their native tongue so Rade was not privy to the details. Eventually it seemed like Ganmorrin and his wife had discussed the situation and what Rade was offering, as Ganmorrin returned and spoke.

"Okay so my young are very young...close to hatching young. Will this affect your magic?"

Mordin - Cog Door, Mesa Undercaverns

"Mordin eh. Well yer found us so I may as well go 'n let ye in but be warned. You might be beyon' death an' all but yer ain't beyond pain an' suffering. So dun go making no trouble or ye'll find out wot I'm talkin' bout." The man went to slide open the door on his end, which seemed to be a combination of physical strength and also a mechanism. It didn't take as long to open as if he was sliding a slab of stone all on his own but it did not just swing open like some kind of trap door. "Go on in then." He said gesturing to you once the door was open. "Ye'll both want to go an' introduce yerselves to our leader like. Bet it'll be a grand ol' family reunion. Beth will really love this." He said with a chuckle, to which Laura responded with a curse and a dark look.

Inside was a passage, from the far end around a few obscuring twists and turns you could make out a light. An interior cavern perhaps?

Kyleth, the Beguiling - Flower Door, Florith Pendent Quarter

The presence sharpened its focus, then it swelled as it turned its gaze upon Kyleth more fully. The pressure of its awareness was like thousands upon thousands of feet of water all bearing down on Kyleth and ready to crush him under its inky weight.

"Foolish Godling you know even less of the way of things than your parents. We are not peers. You are alive at my indulgence and suffering. You are weak and stupid. The more tedious allowing you to remain alive becomes the more likely it is I shall kill you."

Kylth knew then that the being was not lying. It truly could simply kill him if it wanted to. Of course you would wake up back in the tower, or so the Creator had said, but then what? Would the bond persist through death? If so would you be at risk of being crushed again when you re-entered this realm?

"Say your words and I will decide if they are worth responding to."

The Drosai - The Butterfly Door, Ducal Geos Mines

Result: 6 + 2 Success

The Drosai nimbly grabbed one of the containers and quickly used its digging claws to dig slightly into the walls. Clambering swiftly up it and onto the roof it hid in a corner and waited for whoever was coming to pass so it was safe to move again. Two male humans came into the room mid conversation, which the Drosai could follow at this proximity. They were both very dirty and wore only light clothing that gave the minimal protection while mining, the tools on their belts betraying their profession. They seemed to be wiry and sweaty due to the heat, fed sufficiently to work but no more to gain any kind of benefit from the hard labour they were forced to undertake.

"It seems that the Howlers struck again the other week." The blonde human spoke, his muddy brown haired companion grunting in response. "Heard it from the guards."

"They actually spoke to you. Miracles do happen."

"I get why they would throw their lot in with the Hunter...but to become a beast like that."

"The world is shite. But I'd rather work an honest living than become like that." The taciturn companion muttered darkly.

"Sure we might be slaves to the Duchess but we got some honour at least."

They had grabbed one of the jars and moved out of the room, returning down the tunnel they had come from. Neither had apparently noticed the Drosai, or if they did, they avoided looking at it or mentioning it.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Kyleth scowled. Being connected to such an entity with such views was indeed tiresome, but perhaps it could be taught.

On the condition that afterwards you treat me with respect, answer my inquiries fully and avoid this sort of power play and posturing in future, go ahead and kill me. Your threat has no teeth.

Calling its bluff, conditionally.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Rade - Flower Door, Namin Caves, Ganmorrin's Cave

Rade chuckles, "So long as they're flesh and blood it'll be fine."

When introduced to the children, Rade goes out of his way to smile and be friendly. Then for each in turn he reaches out a hand and exercises his power. Just as he had for Ganmorrin before them, he worked to improve their digestive systems, make them hyper-efficient able to extract the maximum amount of sustenance from every morsel of food with the absolute minimum of energy expended. He tried to also make sure that the children would find the sensation of his magic to be a pleasant one, a vaguely warm comforting feeling.

As promised, trying to make the kids digestive tracts hyper-efficient like I did for Ganmorrin. Fleshshaper[+2].

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

"Thank you." Mordin said with a grin. When they were away. Mordin asked "Now Laura you should tell me about Beth and your history. It would 'Prevent Harm' to me knowing the lay of the land ahead. Wouldn't it?"

Lets meet them!

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Kyleth, the Beguiling - Flower Door, Florith Pendent Quarter

"You are not in a position to negotiate." The mental voice was dismissive and unconcerned, containing no personal malice towards Kyleth. Just general malice to the entire world.

Your death was relatively quick but far from painless. Even though you floated in the air, invisible and warded behind your spells it was suddenly as though you were being crushed at the center of a planet's worth of water. Shreds of your outfit fall from the sky and after a minute or two onto the head of a walker of no particular note. They shrug it off, confused by the scraps of fabric.

Death was perhaps a new and novel, if unwelcome, experience to Kyleth. Moments before your essence, what would be your soul if you were a mortal, would be whisked away to whatever lay next or beyond you were suddenly dragged back by an irresistible grip. As You were placed back into a new vessel, a perfect replica of your body and belongings the moment before you were killed, Kyleth noticed something. Perhaps something only a being like him could notice.

A single...no, one large, but a multitude behind it, eye, that watched you with interest. Then as you noticed it, and it seemed to notice you back, it blinked.

Suddenly reality restored itself and Kyleth stood in his room in the Tower again. The brand and the bond it represented persisted. For now in this place you were free, the Deep Monarch could not reach you unless you were inside its realm.

Currently you have no means to compel the Monarch to parley with you and you currently have nothing that it wants. Change this if you want to bargain with it, or indulge its whims. Otherwise it will kill you whenever you taunt or provoke it again. You can respawn but there will be some kind of mental or emotional consequence if you were to simply walk in, taunt it, respawn and repeat multiple times.

There is no inherent difficulty or obstruction to contacting the gods but hijacking a prayer to do so will make the challenge on the social check much more difficult. Using your own powers will likely alert the Monarch, but there are likely many objects, places or people who could help you do this in the world.

I mention this so that you do not think I am trying to railroad or am being deliberately harsh on your actions. The Deep Monarchs are meant to be a later game challenge and thus have DCs appropriate for a later game boss.

Result: 8 + 2 - Success
I did not make it clear that his young were still eggs, although this will not complicate things much.

Rade used his power and could feel its success. Despite no obvious change in the eggs or the shadows moving inside of them you knew that you had fulfilled your promise to Ganmorrin. Once you had finished placing your hands gently on each egg and shaping the developing child inside Ganmorrin looked seriously at you. "So. Is it done?" He asked with some anxiety. While the proof would be when the children hatched within the next 7-10 days, he was obviously looking for reassurance to your success.

"Oh no. Th'bitch will love ye." Laura spat, palpable emotion in her voice. "She be th' one who set up this bloody little uprisin' 'ere. Twenty an' three more years ago she died an' didn' have t'grace to stay dead. An' they say big sisters are sposed ta look after yer." Your acerbic companion did not feel or believe your claim that ignorance of her sister would lead to danger to Mordin. She just wanted to vent.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Mordin re-cast Mage-shield on himself but dropped the glamour.

Everyone was dead here and probably could sense that he was in fact, dead. "How would she feel about how you died then?" Mordin asked Laura. "Would she just be glad to have you I wonder?"

well if harm does befell, going against that compulsion will be dire. action or inaction essentially. Though I guess if Mordin ends up pissing this lady off, its totally on him. Good thing Laura is there to help if she can :)

Basically lets meet Beth, I think we have enough questions answered then for backstory between the sisters.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Right then. Time to remove the arm on which the brand was situated and replace it with something untainted and just as capable.

Magical surgery! Imbue Trinket [+2], Incarnate [+2] and Sorcery [+2] to remove the branded limb physically and metaphysically, and to craft an advanced prosthetic magically just as capable with a few intricate surprises.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Rade smiles triumphantly. "It is. Your children will be able to thrive on a fraction of the food other might need."

"Now, we need to consider next steps. I take it the offer I make might be a tempting one to others in this community? Also, if there are any other boons you might wish for your children that my power can grant, feel free to request them."

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The Drosai waits until the voices leave, tucking the jar under its arm. Eventually, once the coast is clear, it scurries back the way it came, through the tunnels and up the ventilation shaft to the surface. Once there, it takes stock of the situation, secluded as it is, before peeling off the cover, focusing on the body of itself, and chugging the entire contents of the jar. Gross.

-----

Scurrying back to the surface, and doing something DANGEROUS. Gonna drink the Forbidden Juice. Using The Colony +2 to incorporate the Forbidden Juice into this body and develop glands to produce it so I can spit it onto rocks as I dig. Blegh! Or at people's faces, I dunno.

What doesn't kill us will make us stronger.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Your true lich form drew some looks as you walked into the settlement, but not as many as you might have expected. If anything it was more the obviously magical paraphernalia on you that seemed to be catching people's eyes.

As for the settlement itself it was a combination of buildings and caves. There was a large central cavern which you were walking into, that had a couple of buildings in it that were two floors tall and reached to the ceiling. Then beyond this there were caves and passages that presumably led to caves on the edges of the cavern. The fact that there were buildings down here and doors and walls to the caves to give privacy indicated that this was more than just a temporary settlement. People were very wary and most had expressions that showed strain and anxiety carved into them, which was starkest in the few children you saw around.

In the center just to the side of the passage you exited was an obvious command center, with a woman with an obvious resemblance to Laura looking up at you. Beth was seated with her arms crossed and a challenging expression on her faced that moved to confusion and then a mean joy when she saw her sister.

"Ah, Laura, nice o' you to grace us with your presence at last. Bold t'think you'd be welcome down here...but I wonder if your new friend might have summin to do with that?" She said looking at Mordin. "You look right like one o' them holy word an' book botherin' types. Was it you me and some others felt earlier? Trying to poke in our 'eads. Never felt th'likes of that before."

Laura looked daggers at her sister, while Beth was obviously enjoying the experience. No love was lost between these two.

Kyleth, the Beguiling - The Tower, 2nd Floor, Kyleth's Room

Result: 8 + 6 - Success with consequence, elevated severity due to action!

Kyleth prepared the prosthetic first, an arm made of alabaster but reinforced with his own power. An arm of form and function worthy of Kyleth's being. Then when it was time, Kyleth steeled himself and used his power to draw a blade of his essence. The magic wouldn't work on another being, but for Kyleth it would carve away the flesh and bone and excise it from Kyleth's essence. A metaphysical surgery to remove a cancerous tether on his being.

But the efficacy of Kyleth's scalpel was beyond compare.

When it came time for Kyleth to attach the prosthetic and test it, the arm would not move. It took a minute for him to comprehend what had happened. His magic adhered the arm and there were no missing binding to his essence. Yet try as he might, Kyleth could not will it to work. It was as though he had glued an arm on the side of his chest where one had never been. His blade had been too subtle and it had cut true, separating the essence of his arm perfectly. For his being now the arm had been removed so completely that it was as though he had never had an arm. Kyleth could use his power to will the arm to move, the hand to clench, the fingers to curl...but it was a conscious effort that felt unnatural and required focus. The pain and frustration seemed to radiate off of you like heat distorting the air around you.

There was a cough from behind you, and Kyleth turned to see the Creator looking gravely at you.

"I do not make it a habit to spy on my guests, but I sensed something amiss in this room. Now I see what you have done. A...drastic way to remove the binding. For one such as you, this can only be restored by one of equal or greater power. None of the beings through the doors will grant this boon lightly.

You also knew that you could learn to use the arm, with time and great effort. You had sculpted it so perfectly that you knew it would function flawlessly. Kyleth just needed to relearn the motions and through time, hard work and adversity your essence would come to accept the prosthetic as a part of itself.

Kyleth has gained the Extreme Consequence Truly One Armed [-2]. This penalty will apply any time you do something that would normally use or require both hands. I will consider magic to normally be impacted as well. While there are potentially a lot of paths to remove this consequence all will require time, or the intervention of a deity or something equivalent. Some examples of moving forward on this are:
- Slowly becoming used to the prosthetic and working it into your being until it becomes a new part of you
- Gaining the favour of a deity or equally powerful being to repair your essence
- Gaining a Divine Trait that changes your body's form drastically will reforge your body
- Slowly becoming used to only having one arm and learning new movements and behaviours to adjust for this
As I said these are only examples I thought of, but it will take a lot of time and effort to remove this penalty

You have successfully removed the trait Abyssal Brand [+0/-2].

Ganmorrin seemed a little lost for words. "What more to ask for? I couldn't begin to think of anything. But you should let me gather some folks that aren't likely to try and sell you out, and can hold themselves in a hunt at least if not a fight. You seem to have some kind of a plan in mind, so maybe you can sort out some of the details by the time I return. My mate should be able to able to answer questions for you, and my work takes me away from the town so she knows the others who live here better than I do." He paused and thought about he said. "Not that I'm a stranger I assure you! She just will know how people will react better than me."

You've done some buffing actions now and you've got a good sales pitch, so go figure out where you're going to begin to wage a war on god killing abyssal beings.

The Drosai - The Butterfly Door, Mountainside

Result:6 + 2 - Success

The Drosai digested the fluid and began the work of changing themselves. It was not the first time it had dealt with something like acidic substance but the experience was not pleasant. This fluid wasn't an acid but it would generate a reaction with the mountain's material causing it to become hard and stone-like, losing its pliability. Despite being outside of the Drosai's experience it was not a change that would be difficult to spread with the colony, once the colony was more than its sole self.

Dangerous maybe, but many insects already have caustic substances they can secrete and you are using your Divine Trait on this.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Kyleth accepted the outcome with equanimity: Dealing with beings that considered themselves utterly superior required a steady eye and an utterly ruthless streak. Patience borne of eons helped, but for now there was one matter that needed immediate action. Enshrouding the severed, branded arm in the same spells of intangibility and invisibility that had served previously, however long that took, Kyleth proceeded to the flower door with the severed arm tucked beneath the replacement, Kyleth opened the door, threw the branded, invisible and intangible limb through, and shut the door behind it. Message delivered, he returned to his quarters and saw about integrating the new limb.

"I claim equal power. Be it now or eventually, it is an inevitability. Time to put the work in."

I'll take option one, getting used to it and working it into Kyleth's being, devoting all his time, energy and effort to that end. Imbue Trinket [+2], Incarnate [+2] and Sorcery [+2], constrained by Truly One Armed [-2] to integrate the new limb physically and metaphysically, with dedication, patience and an absolutely driven will.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

His out of place garb and the fact that she thought him a priest amused Mordin internally a bit. The necromantic tome of darkness might indeed look like a holy book to the uninitiated. This world indeed seemed to lack...magic. Of a sort. Though animation of the dead here might come from some other kind of mechanism? The hall of leadership and its activity was a curiosity.

The dead acting like the living was slightly troubling. Where he was from unless you made certain...sacrifices being a zombie or skeleton did not convey much intelligence. Unless it was a curse?

"Greetings. I am Mordin. I come from far away, perhaps...long ago as well." It could very well be he was thinking. How long did he fly through the blind eternities before being plucked by this reality's overlord?

"It is hard to tell time when time no longer is a concern for one's self. I was trying to find others like me. I do apologize for the mental intrusion. I was unaware that you all were thinking, feeling, sentient folk. Finding Laura, she was in the process of eliminating your people."
He paused but politely left out her murder. "But now that she is one of you, perhaps you two can reunite and get re-acquainted."

"Be that as it may, she has been gracious in helping me as I am a stranger to this place. How did all of this come to pass? Also, that 'clock tower(?)' seems to halt my movements not matter what I may do. Is it this entire country that's affected or the world itself? It is confusing to me."

That all of these dead had wills that could and would resist his spells was troubling. If he could break whatever force allowed them their minds, and stop the clock tower mechanism that stopped himself, Mordin could begin raising an army and conquer this place. For now though, he had to figure this all out.

Deception [+2] for this as somethings are not the truth, some are half-truth, and others might be wrong mixed in with truth. Nothing yet to figure out with savant or any lich spells so seeing how this convo will go. If you have time or willingness to do a Discord chat to speed this along I'm down @Hikaizer

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

"Very well." Rade nods along at Ganmorrin's proposal. While his lieutenant was away gathering a group for him to speak to, Rade spoke with the shark-man's mate, trying to learn more about the local political situation. In his time as a mercenary he had seen lands in famine before, so he had a general idea what was likely going on, old political structures and entities would weaken and collapse as people gradually lost the resources to sustain them or to even look beyond their own farm or village. It was in some ways the perfect environment for him to carry out his ambitions. It was an opportunity that he wouldn't let go to waste, not that he would say as much.

However, his knowledge of the likely general state of affairs, didn't tell him much about the local lay of the land. What resources they had, what they needed, who the local powers were. All information that would be crucial for his plans. Also, he wanted to know about the deep kings, specifically any information she had on when if ever they had intervened in mortal affairs. Perhaps Ganmorrin's mate could fill in some of those blanks for him while he waited.

Seeing if I can get some info on the local political/resource situation from Ganmorrin's wife while I wait for him to gather a crowd for me to speak to. Specifically looking for info on: who the current powers are (presumably far diminished from their prime do the deep king resource squeeze), what resources and available or needed, and info on what (other than hunger) might cause the Deep Kings to intervene. Experienced Mercenary[+2] to try and use his experience with other lands in famine to know what to ask and how to analyze the answers, Intuitive Leadership[+2] to get her to go along with all this.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The Drosai shivers as it incorporates the caustic compound into its biological body, taking a moment to bask in the revere as that feeling the Colony overtook it, solitary though it may currently be. After some time, the Drosai discarded the container, returning via the mountain paths to its small hide-away, intent on expanding it into a proper mine and living space. The first steps toward a proper fortress.

-----

Returning to my simple hide-away and beginning the work on expanding it into a proper mine and living space. Seeking nutritious metals and natural caverns. Avoiding the enemy mine if I can. Using Frightening Strength +2 and Supernatural Stonecunning +2.

:barf:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Mick Gunn - Cogworld

I stood there for some time, enjoying the smoke I couldn't really taste. But the act made me feel like maybe I was actually alive, not just going through the motions. When I was sure that Mordin and the stiff had been gone long enough, I pulled the brim of my hat down low, stuck my hands in the pockets of my jacket, and checked my piece before stepping out the the shadows and heading for the gate of the human settlement.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Kyleth, the Beguiling - The Tower, 2nd Floor, Kyleth's Room

Luck Roll: 10 - Outcome: Lucky

The disconnected arm flew through the air and rolled slowly to the edge, then after a moment into the water below. An immense presence considered it, then discarded it. In time the flesh would be eaten by scavengers.

Back in his room Kyleth made a few changes to the magic binding the prosthetic to his body to make it permanent. However the task of becoming used to it, and his essence coming to consider it part of itself would take much longer than a single spell or day. The soul was a tricky thing, something that even the most determined mind could rarely alter.

Your arm was basically considered attached from your last action so you don't need to roll for that. However the drawback you gained cannot be removed by an action or power that is currently within Kyleth's means. I will alert you when opportunities to shortcut the process arise, or when I deem that narratively he has become accustomed to the arm at both a conscious, physical and metaphysical level.

Roll: 8 + 4 - Success

Mordin went over to where Clarence was supposed to be, and after asking a clarifying question was shown to the right door. Clarence had more pronounced signs of stress on his body but otherwise did not have complications relating to common zombification. From what Mordin could deduce from his condition compared to Laura, Beth and others he had seen now it seemed that this wasn't a simple case of keeping dead flesh alive with necromantic magic. In fact Mordin was beginning to wonder if necromancy was actually involved, or at least so much as any form of it that he would recognise. The mystery deepened when he had a chance to cast a spell to examine the state of souls around him. Physically Clarence looked like a man in his 50s who had dry skin and tearing issues. As far as Mordin could see there appeared to be some form of metabolism occurring and the body was regrowing, although at a slower rate. The man had lost most of his teeth by now and his eyes showed signs of vision loss but physically despite weird health complications he did not match the age his soul indicated which was something around 130-140 years old. At a guess you would say he had been a zombie for around 80-85 years. His soul also showed signs of fraying at the edges, but in ragged patterns that made Mordin think of something trying to grab at it and pull it away. Most of the issues with Clarence that Mordin could see were probably caused by the disjunction between the age of his body and his soul, as well as just mentally being over a century old. Humans were not raised to handle living in that timescale and Mordin had seen previously what madness could afflict someone who had not been culturally and mentally prepared to live far beyond their natural lifespan.

Other souls showed the same symptoms of something trying to grab at it and pull away. Mordin's soul was different due to the nature of his lichdom and his connection to his vessel, and Laura was freshly raised so the marks on her soul were not visible yet. But thinking back to the Cursed Hour and the sensation that Mordin had felt, it was easy to get an idea of what might be the immediate cause of the tearing. But how and what was that sensation caused by?

Ganmorrin's wife, Ahgna, explained answers to Rade's questions patiently. Although he could tell that she was relieved that he was at least quick on the uptake and was good at piecing things together. A less astute person would have taken much more time to get to his level of understanding. The key points were:

1. Traditionally there had been 3 kingdoms in the region, at different depths of the water where different people of the Underdwellers were comfortable. Rade took this to mean that people that were adapted to low light levels had kept the kingdom down below, while those with the best ability to move smoothly between water and land had remained near the surface. The remainder had stayed between them. While there had been shifting borders as there always were with nation states, the three dimensional nature of underwater territory had made borders less important than control of assets. Before the war that had woken up the Abbysal Monarchs, the Neardwellers had been in ascendancy due to trade and support from the overdwellers.
2. There had been a great war between the overdwellers that lived in the city above that Rade learned was called Florith by those that lived there. This war had been sparked by a difference in religious doctrine and the fate of an overdweller who had committed what was supposedly a great act of heresy and disrespect to the gods of the Neardwellers and the people that followed them. Martial and magical powers had largely been used to skirmish until the height of the war when the churches of both sides leveraged gifted divine power to challenge one another to see which pantheon would reign supreme.
3. The clash of this divine power caused the Abyssal Monarchs to waken. They were long mythical demons or evil gods in the scriptures of the Neardweller religion, although those same teachings had lied and said that the Abyssal Monarchs had been chained and not merely sleeping. The Abyssal Monarchs had then systematically laid waste to the kingdom of the Deepdwellers, and then the Middwellers. Any form of defence proved to be seemingly useless, the Monarchs could be hurt by magical or martial means but their immense forms meant that any intended injury had been little more than a scratch. The Monarchs powers were primarily focused around controlling the movement of water, influencing the minds of others and their raw physical strength and forms. Each Monarch had employed additional powers, but it was hard to say for sure exactly what they were. The servants of the gods had been unable to do anything to the Monarchs though, even the greatest blades of power or the mightiest spears of light conjured by the servants of the god of war had been nothing more than fancy lightshows. This had made the claims of the Monarchs of besting the gods farm more believable.
4. Refugees had flowed upward, straining the Neardweller kingdom which had found itself fighting a war on two fronts now. Florith had noticed the forces of the Neardwellers starting to fall back and made progress. In a desperate gamble, the old king had made the wisest and most terrible decision he could. He lured the overdweller forces into a battle with his own, in a place that was in the path of one of the Monarchs. Both armies had been almost completely wiped out, and in that place sensing that any opposition for miles around had been crushed the Abyssal Monarch had made its demands for itself and the other Monarchs. They would be fed, or they would feed. It was at their suffering that the world continued to exist and if it stopped interesting or satisfying them then they would return it to the chaotic abyss that the gods had molded it from. It did not care about any attempts to parley or negotiate, and ate one overdweller that tried to demonstrate this.
5. After this the Neardweller kingdom had mostly begun to fall apart. The old king was seen as responsible by the people and so was made to be the one to offer the tithe to the Monarchs. Food stores began to be run down over the seasons as the harvests were not enough to make up for what was lost. The kingdom frayed. One season the offering was insufficient and the king was eaten, with his daughter now forced to shoulder the responsibility and when she eventually failed not only she but those that had gone with her to deliver the food as well had been consumed. No one wanted to be associated with the crown for fear of being the one to displease the Monarchs. No one wanted to be a king or a queen and so the last kingdom eventually collapsed. The war had happened around 200 years ago.

The kingdom still existed in technicality but only as a means to determine how much each community needed to provide. There was still old laws and contracts that could be called upon or enforced, but no one did so for fear of the duty of feeding the Monarchs. The churches had long since collapsed and although many people still gave some minor homage to the gods there were no religious institutions of any real power or influence beneath the surface of the waters. People made individual shrines or effigies as was needed. The mages college still existed, although it was now an incredibly insular and small institution that could only afford to admit the most gifted or the wealthiest to its number. There was no standing army of any kind left, with each community being forced to fend for itself.

As for above, the overdwellers largely considered the war to be the Neardwellers' fault and felt that their fate was well deserved. They also did not seriously believe in the threat of the Monarch especially after several generations of all but the most long lived races. This had been why Ganmorrin had clashed with the priest so harshly. As for who was responsible, well it was impossible for most people to know by this point but Ahgna believed that it had probably been a war long in the making and that one incident had simply been the pebble that shifted slightly to cause a great subsidence.

Later Ganmorrin returned and informed you that he had found seven others that would swear loyalty to Rade's cause. He just needed to let them know where and when. Also people had already noticed his changes and there were beginning to be whispers around time. Although it was unlikely to spread from the community for now, Rade wouldn't be able to rely on hiding that something was up from the general people. He also asked you how your discussions with his wife had gone, and what plans you were starting to make to deal with your first Monarch.

The Drosai - The Butterfly Door, Mountainside

Roll: 5 + 4 - Success
Luck Roll: 11 - Very Lucky

With the new solution, the Drosai was able to properly work on digging out the rock. With a day of hard work the Drosai was able to properly carve out the living space for a small group of up to 12. When it started working on the mine it ran into a curious discovery down one possible passage. From the rock came a strange visuous fluid that was warm and felt alive somehow. It was glowing orange like a flame, yet it was not hot enough to truly burn. The scent of it was familiar, there was a background trace of it all around but it had been most noticeable from the armour of the guard at the mine. The one that had the dark red glow from inside the armour and had a hot breath like steam. Had the guard been consuming this substance? Or was it infused into the guard somehow?

You got lucky and discovered Geos, this substance will have profound effects on those exposed to it depending on what is done with it. However it will also likely bring you into conflict with the Duchess once they know, and the effects will be difficult to hide once you get far enough with experimenting with it. (Pronounced Gi-oss)

Mick Gunn - The Cog Door, City of Clocks

You had parted ways from Mordin and walked across the plains. The afternoon heat was unpleasant but as an automaton, Mick didn't have to worry about the same concerns as a human would in terms of heat and thirst. It was still not an experience he was eager to repeat though and it made his black clothes very hot. By the time you came up to the cliff below the city you were relieved for the shade to cool you down. There was a simple and obvious to follow path that led up stairs, as well as an elevator that had been carved into the side of the hill. From a guardhouse built into the side of the cliff a voice came from a horn that opened from the structure, protecting its occupants from anyone outside even if they had a rifle or musket.

"Stranger, who are you? We have seen you cross the flat during the Cursed Hour so we know you are not one of the cursed walking dead, but you look like no man we have seen. If you are a leper or have some other sickness we cannot let you pass into the city."

Without a better look at Mick close up they have mistaken his artificial form to be some kind of sickness or skin condition.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Mick Gunn - Cogworld

"The name's Mick," I told the guard through the device. "And I've never been sick a day in life. Not even a sniffle. I could cough a few times if you really want me to but it's not really going to change much. I'm a traveler of course, and I'd like to come on in and polke around if you dont mind. Looking for a place to set up shop. Settle down, so to speak."

Persuading the dingus to let me in.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Kyleth, the Beguiling - The Tower

Form was mutable, especially for one gifted in the art, and mastery at arms required focus and practice, over the course of an extended period of time. It would require the prolonged casting of potent magics. So, it was time to set aside an extended period of time to put in the work of acclimation, and to prevent that expenditure of time from spilling over into the greater task for which they had been called. Calling upon his sorcery and exploiting his incarnate nature, within the confines of his quarters, Kyleth worked on his perception of time and its passing, looking to massively speed himself up in relation to the universes outside, to encapsulate weeks, months or perhaps even years of acclimation within a temporal bubble, with moments, minutes or hours passing by externally in relation.

Kyleth is looking to magically conjure a temporal bubble in his room, allowing for him to experience weeks of subjective time in objective hours within the limits of the room apportioned to him, in order to spend the time, put in the effort, and work towards expanding his means until such time as he can develop an action or ability suitably narratively satisfying. He will put the work in. He will put the effort in. He will put the time in. He will learn. He will train. He is determined to better himself, to nullify, erase and supersede the impact of that disrespectful divine annoyance, and to do so through whatever means are available to him, without losing sight of the bigger picture, but maintaining focus on this one task all the way through to completion even if it takes years subjectively. Imbue Trinket [+2], Incarnate [+2] and Sorcery [+2], constrained by Truly One Armed [-2] to form the time bubble and work diligently, tirelessly and endlessly within it. Much longer than a single spell or day, fine, we'll go much longer than a single spell or day. Not currently within his means, fine, we'll work on his means. No shortcuts, fine, Kyleth will take the long road. Time to get accustomed on a conscious, physical and metaphysical level, fine, let's provide the time. This determined mind intends to do something rare.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Mordin - Cog Door, Mesa Under-caverns

Music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I17HHgxy8pA

This was...interesting the academic in him was thinking. No necromancy? No degeneration. Could this be a common disease or malady? Or something to do with the odd artifice and clockwork which was extremely uncommon outside of gnomish or dwarvish work?

If this wasn't magic, and distance was a factor when the bell tolls...

They shouldn't be able to hide from him then and he wouldn't get paralyzed as he wouldn't be there he surmised. Thanking the old zombie, Mordin was going to do a few things in regards to this mystery. But first, he would look into these towers. Yes...

The spell wasn't divination as that was not his forte. However he could and would scry and observe during as many cycles as he could the ins and outs of the clock tower structures.

If the energy of the universe was being manipulated it could be done with other means. Psionics, Divine or magical, and natural. The rules and way of doing it might be different. But reasoning and research had often served him when alive, now he would see what he could see.

Savant [+4] to test a theory. Lich [+2] for the wizarding work. Going to scry this non-magical issue. The idea is to be able to look at and reason our way through it through observation.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 16, 2021

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Rade listened closely, noting down the important details for later. When Ganmorrin returned, he greeted the man with a jovial smile. "Before I can deal with an angry god, I'll need to to secure the loyalty and obedience of the merely mortal powers. You don't go up against an enemy like that without ensuring you need not fear a knife in the back." He tactfully neglected to mention that the crisis caused by the Monarch's provided him the perfect avenue to conquer this area, with the famine leading to weak states and providing a problem (hunger and starvation) his abilities could mitigate.

Next he was introduced to each of Ganmorrin's candidates. To each he offered the same deal he had for Ganmorrin, in return for their fealty he would ensure that their families could survive on a fraction of the food most others required. For those that agreed, he first transformed them in a manner similar to Ganmorrin, making them the most they could be and enhancing the efficiency of their digestive tract to ensure that they would be able to sustain all that extra performance on no more food than they currently consumed. The only difference was rather than just pleasant numbness to mask the pain of the transformation, he tried to gently stimulate certain regions of their brains in order to help them experience the change as something akin to a religious experience. If he was to contend with gods and monsters, it wouldn't hurt to have a devout following of his own. He had been on the opposite end of zealots and true believers before, seen the fervor that drove them to feats otherwise impossible for a normal person. He wanted some of that for his own.

Offering the same deal to each of the seven as Ganmorrin. Fealty and obedience in exchange for making it so your family can survive on a tiny fraction of food. For those who accept, Fleshshaper[+2] to give them a similar package of upgrades as Ganmorrin (improved musculature, looks, reflexes, etc. and improved digestive efficiency to keep them functioning on their current amount of food. The only twist is that Rade's trying to gently stimulate part of their brain during the change so they experience it as something akin to a religious experience.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The Drosai, satisifed with its progress on this temporary camp/housing, decides it is time to fill those beds, so to speak. It needs an extra set of hands, or six.

-----

Scouting the area, looking for evidence of a population center not currently locked up in a castle or mansion.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Mick Gunn - The Cog Door, City of Clocks

The guard had a quick hushed chat with his companion, the speaker conveyed the sounds but Mick couldn't make out the words.

"Alright stranger, walk up to the gate and we'll have a look at you there. If you are sick or unfit to enter the city and try to force your way in we will shoot you. Understand?"

Kyleth, the Beguiling

I've tried to be clear about this and do not know how much more I can say. You cannot just use actions to fix your arm. The point of the game is to go and interact with stuff and tell stories, and dealing with consequences of your actions and overcoming them is a part of this.

I can come up with a bunch of reasons why your action won't work, like messing with time in someone else's Domain is something they will just shut downn, but that's not the point here. If your character had the ability to fix your arm like this I would have allowed you to do it within the last few actions. If you want the game to be about you trying actions to fix it and me coming up with justifications for why it won't work I can do that, but do understand that you will not succeed continuing down this path.

If you have more questions about this please discuss this with me.

Result: 7 + 6 - Success

It took Mordin a couple of days to really confirm the details of his observations, however what he saw was confusing and concerning.

There was a presence outside of the world watching in, with metaphysical fingers that were trying to pierce through the fabric of reality. During the so called cursed hours, its 'fingers' broke through and tried to snatch at the souls of the dead. The tearing was the effect on the souls of the walking dead, as the cursed hour produced some kind of localised barrier that protected your souls. What was causing your paralysis was really a vice like grip tying your souls to your bodies to stop them from being taken.

This process raised a lot of questions. What was powering and producing the field from the city? It was like magic although not a form you had encountered before. Why did the fingers pierce through in such a consistent and scheduled manner? It was possible the mind behind the fingers was machine or clockwork like, but if it wasn't then the schedule was very strange. Was this entity part of the Creator's world or something from beyond the tower? It was hard to say where the Creator's power began and ended, and what he intended, but there was something about the presence that just didn't seem to fit.

As for things it did explain, the reason why living creatures weren't so affected by the cursed hour was because the connection between their soul and body was stronger. The reason there was no walking dead far beyond the reach of the cursed hour was because their souls got taken. The caverns were close enough to have some protection from the barrier, but not enough that it wouldn't damage people slowly over time like Clarence.

Mordin was not sure that many people in the world around him would truly understand if he tried to explain any of this to them though.

Result: 4 + 2 - Partial Success (Upshfit to Successful body modification due to repeating a previously successful action, failure for religious indoctrination)

The changes were definitely life changing for the Neardwellers that agreed to follow him, but Rade was disappointed when he noticed that they did not have the rapturous experience that he had wished. Your abilities made Rade a regular sort of visionary leader and general, not the messianic deliverer that could command irrational and complete obedience. Ganmorrin nodded with satisfaction at the changes and turned to Rade, waiting for some kind of speech or address to the group.

The Drosai's explorations led it to find a couple of small villages and homesteads with farms. All of them filled with humans, which increasingly suggested a social hierarchy where the invertebrates in this world held dominance over the vertebrates. Exploring further found a large town near where the doorway through which the Drosai had entered this world. Looking at the town, the Drosai could see some invertebrates with signs of wealth and influence. This confirmed some suspicions about the social order of this world.

The easiest way to recruit bodies into the hive would be from the outlying villages and farms, away from the area near to the manor house. There were less signs of people travelling between communities there.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

That was as good as it was going to get for now. He headed back towards the flower door, opened it, cast a spell to shapeshift into a bird, and flew through.

Back to work.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Rade silently cursed as the part of his plan that would've given him a firmer basis of control over his burgeoning kingdom fails to take hold. Still, the physical changes had worked and there would be time enough in the future to look for alternative routes to fully secure the hearts and minds of his followers. For the moment, he would work the harder and slower road until a better alternative presented itself.

"So, you've seen first hand just what I can do." He lets the words flow naturally, relying on instinct to know what to say and how to say it to try and grip the hearts of his assembled followers. "I'm sure Ganmorrin has spoken to you, but you should hear it from me personally. What I aim to do is overturn the entire order of the world. I plan to starting with this village unite the whole of the sea under my rule, and then when the time is right, dethrone the Deep Monarchs." He gives a toothy smiles, a slightly intimidating gesture for someone with a mouth full of razor sharp fangs like Rade, "Now some may think me mad for having such a grand ambition, but as far as I'm concerned if you don't aim to overthrow the current system then you're just slowly sliding towards death and dissolution. I've seen the village, heard of the state of the entire sea. The Deep Monarchs are parasites bleeding you dry, sucking away your strength and your future. Your children are starving, how many will survive into adulthood? How many of them will have be able to have children of their own? With each passing day you're getting weaker and weaker and weaker. If nothing changes, the day is coming soon when you won't have the strength to hunt, the strength to survive."

He pauses for a moment, letting his prophecy of certain doom sink in, its logic starkly demonstrated by their own rumbling stomachs and memories of more lean days than good days.

"I am the change that will be the salvation of this place. You have felt my power first hand, I have not merely restored your lost strength but brought you to new peaks of physical prowess. Moreover, I've changed your bodies to be able to more with less food."

Rade's smile becomes close-lipped once more, more more convivial, less predatory. His tone changes adopting a mock conspiratorial tone, like he's letting them in on something of a secret. "I'm not doing this out of charity or any other laudable motive. I want power, I want to rule, I want the good life, and I want it so that when I give a command it'll be obeyed no questions asked. You may not be in love with that, but it means you don't need to trust my good intentions." He chuckles, "No, those who follow me will prosper because why rule over the poor and starving when you can rule the strong and powerful? Not to mention, the more my followers prosper the more they'll be useful to me and the more they'll be willing to play along with my desires and eccentricities. My greed and ambition are much more reliable a motive than noble intents. After all, considering the alternative is your current slow slide into doom and dissolution, my price is a downright bargain for you. You get salvation and prosperity, I get to rule and people willing to devote their lives to me. Something of a win-win, agreed?"

"As to how I'm going to bring this about, for the moment what you need to know is that you're going to be my vanguard. Living proof of the undeniable life changing benefits of taking me up on my little bargain. Every day the rest of the village will see that you're stronger, better, that you bring back more food, that your children and loved ones thrive. Every day they starve and you prosper is one more reason to follow me. By the same turn, you're not going to sugar-coat the cost of my beneficence. If asked you can be perfectly clear what I want in return for their salvation and prosperity, and whether in public or in private you're going to be extremely deferential and obedient towards me."

"If this doesn't sound like what you signed up for, if you don't trust me to deliver, you can back out. I'll be taking back my gifts, of course, but I won't hold it against you. I want people who want to follow me, and I'm confident that even if anyone backs out now, they'll be back soon enough tails between their legs hoping to get back in my good graces. What I'm offering is just too good to pass up. So, you ready to go out and make me the true king of this place?"

Giving a speech to get them jazzed up to serve me, and laying out part 1 of my plan. The transformed are gonna serve as living exemplars of the bargain Rade is offering. They'll prosper thanks to Rade's boons, and they'll be very publicly thankful/deferential/obedient so people will know what the price is. The idea being that eventually their obvious prosperity will eventually overcome whatever issue people might have with Rade's expectations and when they come to sign up, it'll be with open eyes knowing clearly what they're getting and what they'll be giving up in return.

Experienced Mercenary[+2] for the knowledge of how you secure the loyalty of desperate villages like this and Intuitive Leadership[+2] for him to understand by feel just the right way to give the speech to really get them completely on-side.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The Drosai gathers a few golden ration slips and heads off in the direction of a likely human settlement. Something not too close, but with a healthy population. Assuming nothing strange, and no other bugs were there to observe, it would begin to spread rumors of its need for able bodies; workers willing to help dig in the mountain in exchange for food, shelter, and payment. The gold offered as proof of its claims.

-----

Heading into a populated but not-too-close settlement of humans. I'll steal a dirty blanket off a clothesline to use as a cloak/shawl/satchel if I can. It has to be crummy, though. Gonna try to recruit some workers.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Kyleth, the Beguiling - The Flower Door, Fein's Pavilion

You return to the door and you see the familiar pair of the creature and the elven lady again. Kyleth thinks for a moment, did he remember the names of these insignificant beings? The pair seemed to be discussing something, the woman's instrument placed by her side. It wasn't an argument but it wasn't an idle conversation either.

It's not a challenge to remember them, but I thought that it might be up Kyleth's alley to not find the pair worthy of his memory.

Result: 4 + 4 - Success with a Complication

The hunters Ganmorrin had brought before you were bought in. They might not believe the full scope of your vision and promises, but it was clear that you could make a meaningful and material in their immediate lives and the near future. For a people that hadn't had the luxury to consider the far away possibilities to be able to live until next week was enough for now.

But a rift quickly formed in Namin. People who were clearly going to accept your terms but hadn't yet realised it began to align themselves with you and your hunter lieutenants. However there was a smaller but not-insignificant group that saw a threat. Older people or those who had listened to the authority and warnings of elders past who had taught them about the fall of the Neardwellers and the cost of their hubris. You became the new prophet of the apocalypse they had already experienced.

Whispers reached your lieutenants of someone stealing to the capital in the still darkness of the night, to warn someone there. Alka, Ganmorrin's wife had explained that the capital held little power over the lands where the Neardweller kingdom had once been but they did have arcanists and soldiers.

Luck Roll: 8 - Moderate Luck

The humans were not stupid, and quickly figured out that the Drosai wasn't one of them. But despite this there was something that caused them to pick up on the promises you were offering. All you had to do was to make a place and a time and you would have a small number of intrigued or desperate humans investigating.

But you also find out another thing. A rumour of a meeting, humans only, deep within the woods a few nights away. Promises of the strength and freedom to cast of the shackles that the duchess and her cohorts placed upon the people.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Merina and Ghornik conversing still. He didn't intend to shed this avian form just yet, but he could certainly pause a moment and listen, if a suitably unobtrusive perch could be found.

Sure, let's eavesdrop.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The Drosai makes sure to spread the information about both place and time; not too far, and very soon. Just before dark.

It’s there waiting for those who show up, and assuming it isn’t a dastardly ambush, The Drosai pulls aside its crummy shawl to brandish strips of pure gold, letting them glint in the waning sunlight. Six in all.

“I am in need of workers. You are in need of work. I offer all this and more; gold, copper, iron. Whatever the mountain can provide,” it pauses, “even Geos.”

It lets that sink in for whatever that was worth. Truthfully, the Drosai had no idea.

“You will receive an equal share of everything we mine, so long as you are Willing to work,” it emphasized.

It held up the six strips of gold. “The first six to agree to join us will receive one strip of gold to do with what you will. Consider it a... sign on bonus. We leave the morning after tomorrow, from this place.”

-----

Setting a Place and Tine not far from the village, in the woods towards the mountain somewhereabouts. Making my pitch to whoever shows up.

Using The Colony +2; anyone who accepts the gold strip from the Drosai is agreeing to join with the Colony. This is mostly just so the Drosai knows where they are, but it carries the full weight of that decision. Part of the crew, part of the ship.

Doing this the day BEFORE the other rumored club meeting.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Things were preceding about as Rade had expected. He had doubted that he would be able to get everyone onboard, everywhere he'd gone as a mercenary there were conservative factions resistant to change. Hell he'd even worked for them sometimes, their gold was as good as anyone else's. So when word reached him about a someone going to report to the capital, to try and summon the army or whatever else remained in the decrepit ruin of a kingdom, Rade was ready. The individual planned to sneak away alone in the dead of night. Clearly it was to Rade's advantage that they had no clue about the Leonin, his race descended from apex predators after all. Stealthily stalking prey and leaping for the kill was in his blood. Not to mention that this wasn't the first time he'd been called upon to curtail this sort of attempt. Pretty much anytime he was paid as part of a force occupying a village, you had to deal with little incidences like this. So, the lone messenger had no idea just what he was walking into to.

Rade would wait until the appointed hour, relying on his sharper Leonin senses to quickly track and capture the messenger away from the town, where none would be the wiser that the man had fallen into his possession.

Going to stalk and then intercept the person heading to the capital once they get out of town. Aiming to capture them without alerting the rest of the town.
Experienced Mercenary[+2] - This isn't the first time Rade's had to intercept someone sneaking out of town in the dead of night.
Leonin[+2] - Stalking a messenger, stalking a prey animal, not so different, and evolution has equipped Rade well for this task.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Merina was gently reassuring her companion. "Ghornik it is my duty to be wed to this man, it will help bring peace and honour to our families and the land."

Ghornik on the other hand was not quieted by her words, and shifted his head causing his ears to flop. "Merina your happiness is important! You are more than just a commodity to be traded by other people. If they really cared about peace and honour then they would sort of those grievances themselves instead of placing the burden all on you."

The words clearly struck true, but the elven lady tried to hide it. "Even if they are being selfish, that doesn't mean I need to be selfish as well. We have to change our world at some point and it isn't any fair to our unborn children if I push that on to them."

"I fear things are happening, Merina. You heard what happened with Lem. There was another strange outlander and he asked strange questions about things that everyone knows. Children ask strange questions that challenge the authority and views of adults, but they learn to conform as they grow up. These strangers do not, and if they have power enough their challenge might be enough to-" Ghornik said but cut off by Merina.

"No, Ghornik. I cannot rely on others to solve my own problems. And even if they were inclined to help, it would cause too many problems and suffering."

The little creature huffed in frustration. "Listen to yourself! You just make yourself into a helpless victim who can't do anything because it's easier to accept than to stand up for yourself and create a confrontation."

Result: 5 + 4 - Success

The messenger thought they were going to be followed, so they looked around, but they were not able to spot Rade until it was too late. They were young, probably some sort of equivalent of a 19-20 year old, and they were thin from not eating properly for a while.

You get the drop, what does Rade do to the messenger?

The Drosai - The Butterfly Door, Woodland Clearing

Result: 8 + 2 - Success

When the Drosai mentioned Geos, there was instantly a ripple through the small group there. It seemed that this was a big deal, and the Drosai immediately got the impression that Geos was controlled by the invertebrates that ruled these lands. A weary looking labourer piped up. "Geos? Truly? Then...you're not with the Duchess?"

"Can I still see my family?"

"Do we get meals as well?"

"Do we live there or do need to come back home to rest?"

There were further questions but the Drosai could already tell that they had their starting workers.

Also are there any physical or mental affects for these humans joining the hive? If so, what are they?

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Rade - Flower Door, Namin Caves, Away from Town

quote:

Rade reveals himself from the shadows, "Did you really think I wouldn't see something like this coming?"

The teen starts and yelps out "the d-demon!!!"

Rade just lets out a chuckle. "Is that what they called me?"

"You warped their bodies and m-minds!" The teen retorts

"I made them strong and I promised prosperity, in return I ask for loyalty and obedience. Hardly a bad deal compared to slowly starving to death?" He gestures at the messenger's emaciated condition.

The teen looked at you and for the first time said his own words. "Okay, you have to know that sounds like a devil's bargain right?"

"So?" Rade shrugs, "I never said I was a good guy. I mean lets be frank, it's not like your people have anything to offer but their submission."

"Hey gently caress you man." The teen replied indignantly. "It's people like you who got us into this whole awful situation!"

"Maybe. Doesn't change the fact that at the moment you'll all be dead from lack of food within a decade if not sooner."

"I don't have to listen to this. You suck!" The teen said and started to swim away.

Rade, being stronger and faster before even taking into account that he was not half starved, cut the teen off. "For someone with such guts, you're about to do something incredibly foolish. Or perhaps you don't understand just what you're going to be bringing down on your village."

The teen obviously doesn't really get the danger he's in and pushes Rade backwards. "What would you even know about what it's like living down here?"

Rade looks down at him. "I admire your bravery, boy, but its the bravery of someone who doesn't know what you're dealing with." He injects just a hint of menace, "I could kill you in an instant, so you better be careful with those hands." Once he's sure his point's made, he fishes out some of rations he had packed back in the tower from his pack, at least those that could survive being underwater. "Now, you can tempt fate again, or you can fill that belly of yours. Which'll it be?"

The teen looked at Rade and you could tell there was a calculation going on in his head. He was underfed and the food was tempting. But Rade was also a danger to him and his community.
Then he seemed to remember or think of something, and looked at Rade warily. "And where did you get that food from? We don't have enough to spare."

Rade looks at him appraisingly, "I brought it with me when I came here. Though I'll admit it's interesting that you're wondering where I got this food from, and not where the army you're looking to invite to your village will get its food from."

The teen looked at Rade pointedly and said "At least that army would be planning on leaving unlike the one you're making."

Rade lets out a deep laugh. "Tell me, does your village pay taxes to the king?"

"gently caress me I don't know if we even still have a king. Yes we pay taxes, so that the horrible monsters won't eat us. I know that and I know by now you know that as well. Which is why we have to stop you before you get everyone killed and not just our village!"

"Let me tell you this, boy. I've been a mercenary for many years, and I've seen kingdoms like this one, and a kingdom as fallen as this one doesn't have the money to pay soldiers. The entire kingdom is falling apart, and when kings can't pay armies find ways to pay themselves, even if it means villages like yours dissapear."

The teenager still looks frustrated. "Okay that sounds like a threat, like you're going to kill us all. That's not really as convincing as you might think it is."

"No, I'm saying that the army your inviting to your village is gonna pillage it, because thats how they work in lands like this one. The king can't pay them, so they'll take anything of value you have left."

"The only things maybe of value are us because we can help gather for the tithe. Maybe some adults have some trinkets or whatever but they must have already thought about it when they sent me to get help, and I don't care if some special shell or stone they have gets taken."

"The only thing you have of value is food. Which the soldiers will take, and they'd kill anyone who tried to stop them from taking it. Well assuming I hadn't killed them all first, of course."

"If you're so confident you can stop them why are you worried about me going to tell them then?"

"Because killing them all would be a waste." Rade says flatly. "I've made my goals here pretty clear. I want to rule, and while killing them would probably be trivial, an army of corpses are useless to me in the long term. I would like to avoid it, if possible."

"Sounds like a problem, because we don't want you to rule. Go elsewhere and be someone else's problem, we have enough of our own." The teen says flatly, crossing his arms.

"You actually seem to be in the minority on that point. Most people in the village seem perfectly content to take me up on my offer."

"SOME people, because you warped their minds!" The teen says with pretty clear conviction.

"So how do you explain why I'm bothering to talk to you then?"

"Look man you're crazy, I don't know what you're trying to do but it won't work on me!" The teen says pretty confidently.

Rade looks unimpressed. "And why do you think that?"

"It's not working so far."

"I haven't done anything so far, but try and talk to you. Kid, you're in way over your depth."

You get a resolute stare in response.

Rade chuckles, "I'm a demon who warps minds and bodies and you're putting on the brave hero act so you can go and get the army of a crumbling kingdom to come rape and pillage your home. If it wasn't a pain in my rear end, it would be funny." He looks over the teen coldly, "I suppose the easiest way to resolve this would simply kill you. Though maybe I should take you up on your suggestion and see just how easy it is to warp your mind and body to better suit my ends."

The teen backed up a little and said "C-come on then, I d-dare you." In a voice that really said 'no I don't dare you please leave'.

Rade smiles slightly menacingly, "If you insist."

Rade stalks forward, grabbing the messengers head and reaching out with his power. Just as he had changed Ganmorrin and the others, he now attempted to change the messenger. Rather than making him stronger or fitter, Rade instead attempted to alter his brain. He knew that many types of animals imprinted on their parents, and now he was attempting to cause something similar in the young man. Cause his very brain to betray him, leaving him putty in Rade's hand, eager to be shaped however the mercenary wanted.

Rade's gonna attempt to use Fleshshaper[+2] to alter the messenger to cause him to imprint on Rade, aiming to make him extremely susceptible to Rade's influence.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

"I am not with the Duchess."

"You can see your family. You may even bring them, if you wish. At present there is room for one dozen people in the barracks but that will be expanded."

"Food will be procured or provided, though current stocks are limited until after work begins."

"A barracks for resting has already been constructed, and will be expanded into a proper living quarters. You may come and go at need."

The Drosai passes out those six gold strips to the first lucky souls, "Please gather supplies and personal items you wish to bring, and be ready to leave the morning after tomorrow."

It looks to each a moment. "Before that, however, I would like one or more of you to attend this... secret meeting of humans I have heard of. You need only observe and listen."

-----

No physical changes yet. The only mental change so far is a vague awareness or idea of the will of the Drosai, which is currently 'go get ready to leave'.

Sending one or two dudes to go to the Secret Human Meeting. Using The Colony +2 to remotely observe the Secret Resistance Meeting through the senses of the volunteer or volunteers.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Context was needed here, and merely blundering in with a suggestion one way or the other wasn't worth shedding this form for. So, let's magically gather some information by following the contextual links, travelling along the ties of attachment to determine what was linked to where, and what would happen if she did or did not proceed.

Using Sorcery [+2] to get the full story, subtext and context here, the other dramatis personae, and the potential outcomes, whilst remaining aloof in avian form.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Roll: 3 + 2 - Failure

Rade found that his power ran away from him, that the youth was resisting and this caused some sort of backlash. Concern of what this could mean ran through Rade's mind, scenarios calculating and playing out for a split second until he realised something. He had drawn attention, there was something that had noticed the flow of power and looked.

Luck Roll: Misfortune

Suddenly Rade was in a moment of paused time. He was sitting at one side of a chessboard, or an analogous board game, playing against himself on the other side. Your double or yourself, as Rade realised in this weird vision he wasn't acting out the role of himself but of something else, placed moved a piece forward. You could see it was a move that put an important piece at risk. Then the entity that Rade was acting out considered two pieces. They were pawns, both ready to be promoted. The other would be sacrificed, while the other would become a powerful piece. Then the choice was made. One last impression remained with Rade. Rade's position on the board was weak, although far from defeated.

Luck Roll: Misfortune

Time flowed again and Rade was in his own body. The teenager's expression and eyes went blank for a few moments, before he blinked and his mind seemed to restart.

"Uh...everything okay, dad? Where are we? Why are you holding me?"

Rade knew that his magic or power had gone awry. If he had achieved what he had intended with this youth, then what had happened to it the backlash and surge?

The Drosai - The Butterfly Door, Woodland Clearing

Roll: 7 + 2 - Success

The meeting was held under the light of a full moon, and the crisp night air caught the breath from the humans present turning it to mist. Snow lay on the ground as the figure of the black haired and golden eyed man you had met when the Drosai had come through the door was flanked by two wolves. There was some uncertainty among the humans present, but this was apparently something expected around Hunter as the humans were not surprised even though they were nervous.

Then one of the wolves shifted and morphed into the shape of a lean and muscled man in a fur tunic. He also had the same golden eyes as Hunter, but then one of the group of humans called out a name as they recognised the now-human wolf. The man nodded and smiled, showing prominent canine teeth compared to the human physiology the Drosai was used to. The Drosai was also not used to humans being able to transform into wolves either.

Hunter began to give a speech about the role of humans in the world, and how the insects had stolen something that was not theirs and broken the balance of the world. But the Drosai became distracted as a large silver furred wolf with black streaks in its coat stalked in to the place it was watching from a distance and sat down looking at it.

"So, we meet again Lonely One. Although not quite so lonely now perhaps?"

The wolf spoke with Hunter's voice.

"I will make those people an offer, to take of my power and to follow me. In doing so they will have to forsake their old community, but they will gain the power to oppose the Duchess and her servants. To you I can make a similar offer, to gain the power of an aspect I embody. But doing so will irrevocably set you against the Duchess. There will be no more path for co-operation with her from there on. It is a quick path to greater power, but not an easy one."

There was a small pause and the wolf spoke one more time before it awaited your answer.

"Will you allow those you sent to freely chose as well?"

As said, you have an opportunity to take one of Hunter's aspect, which the three primary ones being Wolf, Predator or Moon. Although making diplomacy with the Duchess and her servants will be difficult, especially with you mining Geos which the Drosai has already begun to suspect she feels is exclusively hers, accepting power from Hunter will permanently mark you as an enemy to her and her servants.

If you allow the humans you sent to spy to choose freely, there will be a luck roll with a bonus to see if they follow you or chose to follow Hunter. If you force them to reject, Hunter will be disappointed.

Roll: 11 + 2 - Great Success

There were two key threads in the issue that intersected here. The first one was the matter of the person mentioned, Lem. Your magic brought forth a scene of the lion-man, Rade, speaking with him and a shark-man from below the water. Although Kyleth hadn't really needed the magic to make a guess about that. There was a danger to the status quo of society that was presented by Kyleth, Rade and the other guests of the tower. You were not indoctrinated into this society, so you would be able to eloquently argue against the controlling mechanisms of the status quo and convince people to shake them off if you wished. Or you could potentially usurp the status quo with an even greater understanding of how to manipulate the people here. You were powerful and capable without the baggage of growing up in this place. To those in power this makes you incredibly dangerous.

The other matter discussed was much more mundane. Your magic showed a petty disagreement that had begun several generations ago (which given they were elves meant this had gone on for several hundred years) and blown up into a full feud. Now the two families were trying to make peace by having an arranged marriage between them, the logic being that it would be harder to continue the feud with children that belonged to both families bloodlines. Merina understood that but didn't want to be a part of the marriage, as she had no love for her arranged fiance. Ghornik understood the logic but was ruled by his emotions and his support in this matter, but he was not mistaken either. If the two families had really been invested in resolving the feud and putting the grudge aside they could have done that already. So it was just a way for the parents to keep their grudge going but look respectable, and maybe their children would end it. Or maybe they wouldn't.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

quote:

Rade reacted with a start. This was not what he was expecting. Still, he had to keep his wits about him. He let's go of the teen and trying as much as possible to adopt a normal tone. "What do you remember?"

"Umm..." The teen said with some confusion. "I'm not sure. Should I be remembering something?"

"Why dont you start by tell me what has happened so far today?"

The teen proceeds to give you an obviously false set of events as if you had been living in the caves with him, but says it with an utter conviction as though it were all true.

This was... unexpected. Rade also new it to unsustainable as well. There was just too much contradicting evidence, not least of which was their physical difference. "It seems that the magic has affected your memory, son." That last word felt strange in his mouth, but not unpleasant.

"Whose magic? Yours, the mages from the capital?"

"The Deep Monarch."

The teen blanches

Rade gestures to a stone to have the teen sit down, and then hands him some food from his pack, the same he had offered before and been rejected.

The teen sits down anxiously.

"So tell me what you remember happening in town recently. Especially about any divisions where I'm concerned?"

"Yeah, there were a bunch of people, mostly old-timers, who thought things were better the way they are instead of trying to change them for the better. So they wanted to rat you out to the capital as though that would help."

"Right, and you remember when I first came to the village?"

His face darkened. "Yeah, the man who sired me had decided he couldn't feed me and kicked me out, left me to starve."

Rade smiled reassuringly and moved to sit next to the boy, "Do you remember about how he tried to manipulate you to carry his message to the capital? How he sent you out without supplies or protection to be prey to bandits or the very army you were tasked with summoning?" Rade prompted, seeing how the boy would respond.

The teen looked confused. "No? Is...that what I'm doing out here?"

"Yes. It seems you were under some sort of compulsion from your father or one of his allies. Still, being a talented son, you managed to tip me off that something was wrong. So I came to stop you. It appears that the magic messed with your memory as well. When I attempted to undo it I realized it was Deep Monarch magic."

The kid was a mixture of proud in response to your praise, and upset and shocked at what he believed had happened to him.

"I have no idea if anyone else's memory has been affected. So I'm not sure what anyone else will think, or if they'll even remember I took you as my own son after your father abandoned you."

"And they think that just obeying those monsters is the best we can do..." The teen muttered resentfully.

"Most of them are just fools, but it seems at least one of them has been actively conspiring with the Monarchs to help keep the village in chains."

The teen nodded and said "I wish you'd let me fight like you and Ganmorrin, I hate feeling like I'm just weak and useless."

"Well," Rade smiles and wraps an arm around the boy in an imitation of what he'd seen other father's do, though it's a bit awkward from his own lack of family experience. "Once we've dealt with the traitors in the village, I had an idea. You know my power, I can shape and remake flesh. I could use that power to fully change you and make you my own. You'd be just as of you were my own blood. If you want that. And, it wouldn't be unusual at all for a young Leonin around your age to start to learn the ways of battle. I mean I was even younger when I first started."

The teen looked excited and nervous. "Will it hurt? Ganmorrin said it didn't hurt but he's very..." The teen didn't have a good understanding of stoicism it semed.

Rade smiled, "You're right that Ganmorrin is tough, it's part of what drew me to him, and thus to this village. Still, it shouldn't hurt. However, even if it does it's still be something you'd want, right?"

The teen seemed unsure, as though part of his original personality still lingered. "Maybe. Should it hurt?"

"Bones and organs and muscles and skin shifting and changing and being made better. If done by a lesser man it would probably hurt more than anything. However, my power is strong, neither Gannorrin nor any of the other's I changed mentioned it hurting. This is the same power that'll lead the village to prosperity and freedom from the Deep Monarchs, the power that'll make me king of all the ocean one day." He paused and then added, "And it'd mean you'd be my son in a way no one could ever challenge or question, down even to the blood."

The teen seemed reassured and smiled, unaware of the true nature of the transgression promised by Rade's words.

Rade smiled back. He didn't care what the boy's biological father thought, that man was after all his enemy, and the intervention of the Deep Monarch meant he no longer had the luxury of taking things slow and peaceful. "Now, eat your food. We need to get you back from the brink of starvation and that cant happen if you dont eat." He gestures again at the offered food from his pack.

The teen took the food and ate ravenously, although seemed a little defiant when he responded. "I'm not starving, I just forgot to eat. I've been busy."

Rade chuckled, "No need to be ashamed, the whole village is starving. It's why the majority agreed to serve me, because I can offer them the real prospect of a better life. Not to mention I doubt the man who sired you was particularly generous with rations. " He pulls out some additional rations, "I've got more if you're still hungry."

"You never mentioned where you got them from. They seem like something from the surface?" The teen said, continuing to eat and looking at a piece of the rations while he was chewing on another.

"I brought them with me when I came to this place." He had to stop himself from mentioning the Tower, it was surprisingly easy for him to let his guard down around his new son. It would seem that without realizing it he had been longing for family. "I can get more of I need to, but I want to make sure that with my boons the villagers will be able to feed themselves."

"Where did you come from? I haven't heard of anyone like you above the surface, and no-one knew about the Leonin either."

"That's a long story, and one I need to be careful about sharing. There are people here who hate me and what I represent, and even today one of the agents of the Monarch's clouded your mind to try and make you to as a weapon against me." He pauses briefly, trying to get a read on his son's reaction to the concept of Rade's enemies.

The teen nodded glumly and continued eating for a little while in silence. One thing that Rade could see, is that there was a dramatic difference between how he acted now and how he had acted before. Rade just could not tell if it was a complication of his power, or if it was because the kid's sense of invulnerability had been shattered painfully.

"What do you think I should do with them?" Rade inquired, continuing to fish for a reaction.

"Umm..." The teen said, thinking. "Many of them are older, so they can't hurt you. But they have words, and some of them have been important in the community. If people think they only care about themselves, or have gone mad, then people won't care about what they say. But some of them are just scared of everything changing quickly, but want things to be better. Some some of the younger people just might need some time to come around. More food will help, and beating back the Monarchs would do a lot as well." Some of the teens words were a little naive, but he was straddling the age where he was growing from a child to an adult, so there was some good insight once you put aside things blinded by youthful naivete.

"We also need to take into account that some of their opposition might be due to the influence of the Deep Monarchs." Rade was already starting to develop and test the tale he would tell to convince the people to allow him to take measures to 'free' the dissenters from this malign influence and just to happen to reveal that their 'true' desires were to follow him.

"I haven't heard of them doing something like this before. Unless you've got some good proof, people might not believe you." The teen says worriedly.

"What proof would convince people, do you think?"

"I don't know. Something they couldn't argue with. Something big and undeniable." The teen clearly didn't have a real idea, it was a bit beyond his world view yet.

"What about you? Do you think I should be king?"

The teen perked up. "If you beat the Monarchs then no one could argue with that!"

"And do you think I can do it?" His tone makes clear he believes he can.

"Of course!" The teen with no understanding of what war really entailed replied.

"It's gonna be a hard fight, and it wont come without pain and sacrifice. Can I count on you to stay by my side no matter what happens, even if the villagers turn against me?"

"Um...I mean yeah, of course..." The teen says suddenly confused and subdued by your pressing questions.

Rade smiles, "I just wanted to make sure. You only asked me to be your dad a few days ago after all. It means a lot that you're ready to stand by that no matter what comes. The man who sired you was a fool to turn you out, I think you'll be the best son a man like me could hope to have."

"Thanks." He says confusedly but reassured.

"When you become a Leonin," Rade's tone makes it sound like this is a new subject, even if it also has roots in assessing the boy's responses, "would you want to pick a Leonin name, or would you want to keep your current one?"

The teen pauses for a moment, excitement written all over his face. "Well...if I'm a new person, a new name makes sense right? Torran isn't a great name anyway."

"If you like, I can come up with a good one for you."

"Yeah!" Torran says excitedly.

Rade smiles back, "I'll have it ready by the time of your change. First though we need to go back to the village and deal with those who oppose me. The Deep Monarchs have taken notice after all, with their agents acting on you. It want to be sure everything is safe and secure so I can focus on your change without fear of interruption. Dont forget, nobody knows I've adopted you yet. You wanted to keep it a secret and I have. I think the time may be right to tell the others, dont you think?"

"Once things have settled down a little bit from finding their agents then yes, of course!"

"Some of their agents might not realize that you're no longer under their compulsion. Especially if we dont tell anyone that I'm now your father. You know what to do if they approach you right?"

It was clear that Torran had not considered this.

Rade doesn't leave him hanging, "Play along, don't let them know your true loyalties. Then report to me on anything they say or do. It'll be your first real mission for me, playing the part of my agent. Think you can handle it?"

"Of course, I'll prove I'm worthy of being your son!" He replies.

"I'm sure you will. Now, let's head back towards the village. We can walk together till we get close. Then we'll return separately to avoid raising suspicion. If any of the opposition asks why you're back so soon, you can say I caught you and you ran back."

Torran nods.

"While we walk you can tell me everything you know about the opposition, especially any weaknesses I can exploit. I know you'll be a big help to me, son."

Rade's gonna try and get what info he can from Torran about the anti-Rade faction, especially anything that'll help divide them up or break their will to oppose him. Experienced Mercenary[+2] & Intuitive Leadership[+2]

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The Drosai is hanging around outside the village, some distance from the meeting place, having no need for physical proximity in order to observe through the eyes of its subordinates. It turns to face the wolf, eyes glowing.

"This once, they may choose. One or two fewer workers will not be a significant setback. But we will not follow the path of the Hunter. That is not our way."

The following morning, as scheduled, the Drosai gathers up all those who have chosen to follow it, and begins the trek back to the Barracks in order to put them to work.

-----

The Drosai refuses the offer. It is not a hunter.

Allowing the spies to choose, but I'm taking back my gold strips if you choose the Wolf, you fuckers.

Using The Colony +2 to gather up all those who have joined, and those who wish to follow, and heading back to the Barracks in order to get to work. There is much to do and not enough time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Fascinating, in its own way. A choice to consider, in terms of usurping or opposing the status quo. Or both, hedging bets. Rade's influence, Rade's presence were irksome complications, he had no desire to butt heads whilst going about his machinations.

For now, though, an ancient feud, a grudge no-one wanted to drop, nor openly admit to. Perhaps there lay a solution: What if instead of merely marrying the opposite counterpart, Merina cut to the chase and negotiated its end with him, presented as a fait accompli to both sides from the both of them, leaving them free? It might not work at all, but it would send some interesting, useful ripples across this pond. But it had to come from within her, there was no point in revealing himself and making outside suggestions. So, an inception.

Using Sorcery [+2] and Charismatic [+2] to incept the idea of formally ending the grudge in negotiations with her would-be spouse in lieu of marriage into Merina's mind, so that she thinks it's her idea, whilst Kyleth remains aloof and undetected in avian form, mindful of any defences.