Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

tsob posted:

If he's the least trusting character then the obvious conclusion is not "this is all real, the TVA is the most powerful force in the universe", but "these stones are fake" because if it looks like a thing and yet doesn't work like you expect then you're more likely to suspect the thing is false than that the entirety of reality is being controlled. That said, I do still think it's a good choice to have him jump to that conclusion anyway since it got that character work out of the way quickly and efficiently while also setting up the possibility that Loki isn't so much (or at least, isn't solely) humbled by the power around him but scheming to find some ways into the control of that new power. It gives him a whole new avenue of power to pursue while discarding the existing power as worthless.
Isn't it just that the TVA is in another universe so the infinity stones from other universes don't work?

So it's not a trick, all those stones are from other (presumably dead) universes and thus worthless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsjP3vRj-Qg

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
If I recall, the TVA exists outside of space and time in a null dimension.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So they have a wall of expired candy somewhere?

EDIT: Nope, leaving my lovely joke here even though it was "Notch" and not "Null". All should see my shame.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 15, 2021

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

Yeah. Paul Rudd also had to get ripped (according to the interviews he hated doing workout and diets lol). Hell, by the looks of it even Hiddleston had to get some more muscle for the Loki show.

Mark Ruffalo looks adorable being the one Avenger out of shape and it's okay that way. I was gonna say David Harbour too, but he is playing as one of those people that are "chunky-muscular" and can still kick your rear end.

"Out of shape"

He looked pretty good in AoU when he did an entire scene in a towel.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Apply MST3K rules to the JJverse.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Klungar posted:

The alternative is that there was already a Mutliversal War that the Time Keepers put an end to, but that Loki’s or Wanda’s or Strage’s actions will bring it back in to being. What I’m saying is that the TVA is operating outside of time from a perspective that exists far past developments we’ve seen, and Miss Minute’s video isn’t a history lesson, but a primer of what is to come.

I think the alternative is how things actually went down. In the "past" there was a huge Multiverse war that almost destroyed existence. The Timekeepers arose and formed the TVA to prevent another multiverse war by preventing another multiverse. However Loki's eventual actions will destroy/overthrow/reform the TVA to the point that a new multiverse will arise. Like the TVA will be cool with the universe that has Steve and Peggy getting their happily-ever-after but will still prune the timeline where Hitler summons Azathoth.

Klungar posted:

What I personally can’t wait for is for Kang to serve as an in-universe reason as to why the X-Men/Fantastic Four/previous Spider-Men weren’t part of the MCU. He personally culled timelines where these groups arose, because they proved to be the biggest potential threats to his ascent to power. All those groups were *supposed* to be part of the MCU, but Kang (not Marvel’s near bankruptcy), prevented them from being so. The Avengers were C-tier enough to not prove a threat to him but still serve to clear Thanos and the Infinity Stones off the table, removing another impediment, so he let them arise and for Infinity War/Endgame to happen.

I think it's more likely that the TVA has been pruning timelines where Kang arose because they don't want competition. Once they've been destroyed/overthrown/reformed, then Kang (and X-men, etc.) will become a thing. Let's consider that one of those Avengers "C-listers" is Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch, who would at least rival the Phoenix Forve in terms of power. If they let her exist it's hard to imagine why they would care about pruning Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man (aside from the usual "doesn't fit the Sacred Timeline").

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Everyone posted:

I think the alternative is how things actually went down. In the "past" there was a huge Multiverse war that almost destroyed existence. The Timekeepers arose and formed the TVA to prevent another multiverse war by preventing another multiverse. However Loki's eventual actions will destroy/overthrow/reform the TVA to the point that a new multiverse will arise. Like the TVA will be cool with the universe that has Steve and Peggy getting their happily-ever-after but will still prune the timeline where Hitler summons Azathoth.

I think it's more likely that the TVA has been pruning timelines where Kang arose because they don't want competition. Once they've been destroyed/overthrown/reformed, then Kang (and X-men, etc.) will become a thing. Let's consider that one of those Avengers "C-listers" is Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch, who would at least rival the Phoenix Forve in terms of power. If they let her exist it's hard to imagine why they would care about pruning Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man (aside from the usual "doesn't fit the Sacred Timeline").

There's a pretty decent chance that Kang *is* one of the timekeepers.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Masonity posted:

There's a pretty decent chance that Kang *is* one of the timekeepers.

Yeah, what I said is predicated on Kang being one of the Time Keepers. My understanding is that Wanda/The Scarlet Witch is one of these Nexus events that fundamentally must exist, and exist in the same fashion, in every timeline, hence why the TVA couldn’t prune her.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I highly doubt Kang is one of the keepers, that'd be a pretty major deviation from the comics

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

live with fruit posted:

"Out of shape"

He looked pretty good in AoU when he did an entire scene in a towel.

Out of shape next to Chris Hemsworth.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Also, the big guy brings the beefcake. I imagine Professor Hulk is going to make Ruffalo's life a lot easier in that regard.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Azhais posted:

I highly doubt Kang is one of the keepers, that'd be a pretty major deviation from the comics

One thing from the comics is that there's multiple versions of Kang from various points along the timeline. The "normal" one is the Conqueror, but there's also Immortus, who's probably the best candidate for "Timekeeper Kang." I can easily see Immortus pruning timelines to avoid competition with "less evolved" versions of himself.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I know it's entirely too high-concept for an MCU thingy, but I'd love for it to turn out that there is no shared reality of any kind and every single character resides in their own timeline that happen to overlap in terms of events -- sort of a metacommentary on the nature of movies and storytelling, haha.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Azhais posted:

IDK that middle timekeeper in the video does kind of look like a cartoon blue Jonathan Majors

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Casnorf posted:

I know it's entirely too high-concept for an MCU thingy, but I'd love for it to turn out that there is no shared reality of any kind and every single character resides in their own timeline that happen to overlap in terms of events -- sort of a metacommentary on the nature of movies and storytelling, haha.

I'd hate it; not because it's a bad idea, but because it's taking a poo poo on a decade plus of what you've established just to, what...shock people? "This thing you thought was shared? Hahaha, nah; we were just loving with you." It'd be great if DC did that, both because their stand alone movie properties are way more successful than their attempts at a shared universe, because it is something different for them to explore to stand out from the MCU and other franchises and because their shared universe barely exists so changing it to not be one doesn't really affect anything. It'd basically be the management of the MCU giving it's fans and audiences a giant middle finger for no reason though. Which I can't imagine would be successful or interesting.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Azhais posted:

They turned the Mandarin into Aldrich Killian before fan outcry made them retcon it so I don't think turning Kang into a Time-Keeper is a big deal for the MCU.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

tsob posted:

I'd hate it; not because it's a bad idea, but because it's taking a poo poo on a decade plus of what you've established just to, what...shock people? "This thing you thought was shared? Hahaha, nah; we were just loving with you." It'd be great if DC did that, both because their stand alone movie properties are way more successful than their attempts at a shared universe, because it is something different for them to explore to stand out from the MCU and other franchises and because their shared universe barely exists so changing it to not be one doesn't really affect anything. It'd basically be the management of the MCU giving it's fans and audiences a giant middle finger for no reason though. Which I can't imagine would be successful or interesting.

To be fair my favorite Niven short story is "Down In Flames" so I suppose telling people it's all made up and the points don't matter is in my soul.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I’m sad we didn’t get Hamm as Gillen’s super camp Sinister. Wells’s current version is perfect for him.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Mameluke posted:

IDK that middle timekeeper in the video does kind of look like a cartoon blue Jonathan Majors

Doronin fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 15, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
They started working on the non-filming production portions of Loki in January 2020. Was Jonathan Majors cast at that point?

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Mameluke posted:

Except for the curvy figure and the boobs?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Sir Nose posted:

Also lipstick

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

A person can travel through time but changing their gender? That's crazy talk, man!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

XboxPants posted:

Sir Nose posted:

Also lipstick

Like Kang the Conqueror can't be gender-fluid...

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I know you folks think you're being progressive

But you are the ones bringing gender into it and saying that certain body shapes or styles would define your gender.

The original argument was that this drawing PHYSICALLY LOOKED LIKE this one particular human. It doesn't except for like, the nose.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I'm just joshing. I actually agree there is no way Kang could be a Timekeeper because that's not his style. Immortus OTOH... is a possibility. But then who would the others be? Immortus wouldn't exactly share, except maybe with himself

But in a show about space wizards... who knows.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Moreau posted:

I'm just joshing. I actually agree there is no way Kang could be a Timekeeper because that's not his style. Immortus OTOH... is a possibility. But then who would the others be? Immortus wouldn't exactly share, except maybe with himself

But in a show about space wizards... who knows.

We really don't know the style of Kang or Immortus because it's the MCU. I mean, I initially thought pairing Peter Parker and Tony Stark was kind of nuts because Peter is supposed to be poor all the time, but drat if it didn't work out pretty well.

So far I've seen every MCU movie at least once. Even the ones that were "among the worst" Hulk, Thor 2 were still pretty enjoyable. WandaVision/The Falcon and the Winter Soldier were both better (in TfatWS's case a lot better) than I expected them to be. I'm pretty much willing to trust that Feige and co. have their poo poo together. So, if Kang turns out to be female or trans or a full-on fully functional (capable of self-impregnation) hermaphrodite, gently caress it, I'll at least give it a shot.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
After the Mephisto incident, I think that the first fan theory for each show that the internet is convinced will happen should be eliminated as a possibility for guessing.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Sir Nose posted:

Don't shame somebody's covid bod

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The three timelords behind the TVA are clearly......Deadpool from yesterday, Deadpool from today, and Deadpool from tomorrow

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Did anyone watch the last F4 movie with the tween goober playing Reed?

Lol, nope.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What is this, the Guardians of the Galaxy game?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This show is very good

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The first episode of Loki was brilliant. The second episode? Also brilliant.

And there is a salad metaphor!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Thought this ep was a bit of a dip from the first one (too much clunky exposition) but still good

I'm picking up some strong Wizard of Oz vibes from the Timekeepers. I heavily doubt they exist in the same sense and purpose the TVA believes they do

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Definitely a solid episode. I also like that Lady Loki was doing arguably a better form of mind control (direct possession) with no Mind Stone assistance, right after our Loki got beaten after doing that with the Mind Stone in Avengers. Kind of a nice way to get across that she's better than he is.

They can go lots of fun directions from here, and things are definitely escalating faster than I thought they would. The two major things that happen at the end are the sort of things you'd expect to happen as start of the big third act of the overall show, so I'm very intrigued by what the actual big third act escalation/fight scene will be.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Thought this ep was a bit of a dip from the first one (too much clunky exposition)

I mean arguably the first one was even worse at this, no?

And re your spoiler my prediction is the Time Keepers are either dead/incapacitated or never existed at all, and the Judge is gonna end up being a villain in some capacity.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

The other favorite agent Moebius brings up to Ravonna definitely sounds like it could be a proto-Kang or Immortus, given their connection

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Cubicle Bureaucrat Loki!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
There's definitely room for characters like Kang to show up earlier on their timeline than we see them in later MCU stuff. I was kind of expecting the captured agent to turn out to be Ravonna at another point in their timeline, since time works differently at the TVA. There's kind of enough "duplicate of a character because they're at another point in time/from a different timeline" stuff going on already, but I feel like the show won't be able to resist doing that a bit more.

Like most time-travel stuff I'm expecting there to be lots of time-hopping into the earlier events of the show to fix things, maybe made possible by the timeline being on the verge of totally screwed but not quite there yet, so you can get away with doing the sorts of things that the TVA normally can't.