Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Am I wrong for thinking that Gugu Mbatha-Raw is amazingly hot as Judge Ravonna Renslayer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

I mean arguably the first one was even worse at this, no?

The exposition in the first ep felt a lot more natural as Loki was being introduced to the world and was heavily grounded by the emotion of him seeing his future and realising his planned fate isn't what he expected. This episode has stuff like explaining the reset bombs and Loki's powers cause they come up at the end of episode even though everyone in the scene already knows about them. At one point Loki even says 'but you all knew that already' which just made it more clunky!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I thought for sure they were gonna keep it a mystery where all the stolen charges were going and then reveal in the penultimate ep's cliffhanger that she's been planting charges at the TVA all along. Glad they went with that plan instead.

I'm guessing Gugu's character is gonna be the real bad guy.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

There's still a chance for the big bad guy to be Mephisto!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
90% sure Moebius is gonna get a jet ski by the end of the show, that was kind of a clumsy and obvious setup

Unless they know that we know it’s a clumsy setup and it’s meant to throw off people who analyze stories

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Saddest Rhino posted:

There's still a chance for the big bad guy to be Mephisto!

He's too busy being Taskmaster in Black Widow

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Loki and Mobius have a very strong "True Detective season one" vibe.

Time is a flat circle.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I appreciate the D+ shows getting to the fireworks factory so quickly, and not drawing things out.

Yes, the Time Keepers are either dead, no longer exist, or are completely different to the depiction. All the poignant shots of the statues, coupled with Renslayer’s dialogue feels like there’s very much something going on that’s being hidden. If Möbius hasn’t met/ever seen them, who has? There’s a unsettling naïveté among the TVA where they’re innocent constructs who just do their job and don’t know anything outside that (“What’s a fish?”).

Möbius appears to be breaking beyond that initial programming, showing empathy and his love for jet skis. I can see him being the vanguard of a new TVA or something when the current status quo inevitably falls apart. The 70s tech and aesthetic is meant to make you feel this is all outdated and needs upgrading.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
When asked if he's in Loki, Majors said "I have no idea what you’re talking about."

Kang confirmed.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Steve Yun posted:

90% sure Moebius is gonna get a jet ski by the end of the show, that was kind of a clumsy and obvious setup

Unless they know that we know it’s a clumsy setup and it’s meant to throw off people who analyze stories

Clearly the prime opportunity for him to say Wow

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The_Doctor posted:

I appreciate the D+ shows getting to the fireworks factory so quickly, and not drawing things out.

Took me a moment to realise you meant Disney+ and weren't giving it a letter rating.

"D+, are you mad? What, this show is at least an A-"

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Everyone posted:

Am I wrong for thinking that Gugu Mbatha-Raw is amazingly hot as Judge Ravonna Renslayer?

Everyone in this show is incredibly attractive

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So Mobius and Loki's discussions really gave me a Tales of the Abyss vibe and now I want Lady Loki to scream VARIAAAAANT at Loki.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Is the TVA going to have to deal with the variant Gamora at some point?

Edit: Oops. I typed that question, then realized it had probably already come up, looked back and saw that it definitely had... then forgot to delete the question anyway. Sorry.

Steve Yun posted:

90% sure Moebius is gonna get a jet ski by the end of the show, that was kind of a clumsy and obvious setup.
The final scene of the season will be Moebius and Loki standing by a lake, talking.
Then Loki wades into the lake, says "hop on," and shapeshifts himself into a jet-ski.
Moebius stares in awe, and we see him start to say "Wo-"
Smash cut to credits.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 16, 2021

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Robot Hobo posted:

Is the TVA going to have to deal with the variant Gamora at some point?

Probably not, just like how they explained away The Avengers traveling through time in Endgame. It was supposed to happen. Variants aren't just people who skip around the timeline, they're people who skip around the timeline when they weren't supposed to.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

My fan theory seems to be half true! :kingsley: Lady Loki didnt bomb the TVA but several places in the time lune. That's clever. I am now considering that this is a diversion to sneak in and find the space lizards. And yeah, I don't think they are alive anymore. Probably died and Renslayer has been pulling a wizard of oz on the whole TVA.

Now im wondering if the TVA will show up in the movies. Im starting to think they are behind Dr.Strange getting his time stone back.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Desperado Bones posted:

Now im wondering if the TVA will show up in the movies. Im starting to think they are behind Dr.Strange getting his time stone back.

The TVA are clearly going by the end of the show. I agree with everything The_Doctor wrote above. 'Glorious Purpose' is a recurring motif that is the arc the show is about - Mobius is starting down the road of questioning his purpose, Loki has just lost his purpose and searching for a new one, the TVA declares it knows everyone's purpose and Lady Loki is on some kind of mission to bring free will back to the multiverse.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Senerio posted:

So Mobius and Loki's discussions really gave me a Tales of the Abyss vibe and now I want Lady Loki to scream VARIAAAAANT at Loki.

foolish variant loki

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Just recreate that one skit of Lady Loki screaming VARIANTVARIANTVARIANT at a crying Loki

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Senerio posted:

Just recreate that one skit of Lady Loki screaming VARIANTVARIANTVARIANT at a crying Loki

God I need to replay Abyss, it's so good

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Something from the foreign language credits, which I can't check at the moment, but I'm seeing screenshots of Lady Loki being identified as "Sylvie" for one of the foreign dubs, which was is probably an allusion to Sylvie Lushton, one of the incarnations of the Enchantress in the comics. Certainly seems like it could be some amalgamation of some of the ideas from the comics.

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/loki-enchantress-sylvie-episode-2-credits

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I like this episode a lot better, although it felt talky at the beginning. And it’s a shame Kate Berlant is in the universe for so little time. She should have her own house, that she bought from the creator of Howard The Duck.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
One thing I liked was getting an explanation for what the "red line" meant because it goes a long way toward explaining the headspace of the TVA (or at least its active Minutemen/Agents.

So, "time travel/alternate timeline" thought experiment: It's September 11, 2001. The military/intelligence folks were a bit quicker in their responses and scrambled jet fighters to intercept the hijacked planes. You're flying one of them and have a missile lock on one of the hijacked planes. Do you fire? Bear in mind that there is no "third way" here. You either fire and murder every innocent man, woman and child on that plane or you let it continue to its target where every man woman and child on that plane will still die, but they'll take a whole lot of other people with them when they do.

That's the headspace for the TVA folks every time they locate a variant and a "rogue" timeline. Because if I understood it correctly, if that timeline isn't "reset/destroyed" when it hits the red line it will reset/destroy/replace the Sacred Timeline. And given how often the variant has been a Loki, you understand why most of the TVA folks kind of hate. Plenty of Minutemen have likely come through a Time Door, found Loki and probably said something like "Oh, Jesus gently caress, not this rear end in a top hat again!"

I don't think Lady Loki wants to destroy or overthrow the TVA, exactly. Instead I think she wants to reveal a terrible truth to them - that they've been the victims of a lie. Specifically the lie that the Sacred Timeline will be destroyed if another timeline hits the red line. So, she stole all those reset bombs (and murdered the Minutemen who had them) and detonated them to create a huge number of variant timelines, likely too many for the (somewhat depopulated) Minutemen to stop/reset. One or more of those timelines will cross the red line and... just continue with no effects on the Sacred Timeline.

Circling back to the 9/11 thought experiment, what happens when you learn that the plane you destroyed hadn't been hijacked? It was destroyed because... your commanding officer's "bitch of an ex" was on that plane and he used you to kill them. So, you killed all those innocent people for that guy's petty revenge. How many dozens, hundreds, thousands of time lines has the TVA destroyed thinking it was either that or the end of the Sacred Timeline? And they learn it was all bullshit. That the Sacred Timeline was safe all along. That all those universes were destroyed for nothing. All those people in those universes murdered for nothing. I'd imagine it would result in some agents wanting to have some meaningful, difficult conversations with the Timekeepers.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I'll be honest, I've been laughing my rear end at the variant Loki that decided his glorious purpose was to play fútbol for Brazil and win the World Cup. lmao

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Desperado Bones posted:

I'll be honest, I've been laughing my rear end at the variant Loki that decided his glorious purpose was to play fútbol for Brazil and win the World Cup. lmao

As glorious purposes go you have to admit that it beats "Sell my soul to Thanos in exchange for an rear end-ugly alien motorcycle gang that will attack New York City and make me ruler of Earth... somehow."

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
I gotta say, I was not prepared for Loki: Mindhunter

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
He already had Edmund Kemper stamp his forms!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Watched again.

Love the random Bonnie Tyler. Did they set it in 1985 just so that song could be played diegetically?

All the Loki/Möbius conversations are absolute gold. Both Wilson and Hiddleston are bringing it, and their chemistry is amazing. Mobius genuinely likes Loki, and there’s some begrudging admiration in the other direction too.

Why is the destruction of Asgard a lower level apocalypse event than a hurricane in Alabama?

Interesting that Mobius doesn’t actually answer where/when the TVA exists and how to access the timekeepers, and apparently it’s a secret that they hold onto because the hostage Minuteman had it forced out of her.

I’m imagining the 10th Doctor and Donna are running around somewhere in the background of Pompeii’s destruction. It’s all so Doctor Who it even has a robot dog!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

The_Doctor posted:

Why is the destruction of Asgard a lower level apocalypse event than a hurricane in Alabama?

They say that the "level" is determined by who survives.

Some people survived Asgard, but nobody survived in Alabama.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Everyone posted:

As glorious purposes go you have to admit that it beats "Sell my soul to Thanos in exchange for an rear end-ugly alien motorcycle gang that will attack New York City and make me ruler of Earth... somehow."

Oh, I know! He looked so happy in that hologram thing! Now I wanna see a What If of that Loki.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wasn't it winning the Tour de France, not the World Cup? Which makes more sense, as it's a solo sport, no-one to share the victory with.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

The_Doctor posted:

Watched again.

Love the random Bonnie Tyler. Did they set it in 1985 just so that song could be played diegetically?

It's not the same without the "hit it!" :colbert:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Wasn't it winning the Tour de France, not the World Cup? Which makes more sense, as it's a solo sport, no-one to share the victory with.

I really dunno, the uniform had Brazil's colors and looked like a soccer uniform from around 2000, for me.

Edit: also remember that fútbol players cheat and pretend to be injured a lot. That's totally Loki's jam.

Anyways, the guy looked so proud and happy of winning something lol

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Steve Yun posted:

Bet the "do it for ski" photoshop hits by the end of the week though.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
also for the record that RenFest is not in Oshkosh it's in BRISTOL Wisconsin. :colbert:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Phuzzy posted:

also for the record that RenFest is not in Oshkosh it's in BRISTOL Wisconsin. :colbert:

Sorry you don't live in the Sacred Timeline. Enjoy your pruning.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The file id'ed that as a Category Eight hurricane

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Teek posted:

Something from the foreign language credits, which I can't check at the moment, but I'm seeing screenshots of Lady Loki being identified as "Sylvie" for one of the foreign dubs, which was is probably an allusion to Sylvie Lushton, one of the incarnations of the Enchantress in the comics. Certainly seems like it could be some amalgamation of some of the ideas from the comics.

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/loki-enchantress-sylvie-episode-2-credits

Yeah, I'm inclined to guess that since it would be clunky to undercut the twist and go "whoops, turns out this person's not you at all", Sylvie is just the name she's going by (as a nod to that character), but she's still 100% a Loki variant. In retrospect, her not wanting to be called Loki seemed sincere and had "don't deadname me" vibes, even if she played it off with the Randy joke a moment later.

I feel 100% certain the next episode opens with a flashback sequence of Sylvie/Lady-Loki/Whoever's whole deal, because that was definitely the modus operandi for the last couple shows.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 16, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol, Loki is murdering it on streaming so much that D+ is moving all new releases to Wednesdays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Gaz-L posted:

That was my impression as well.