Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What E3 announcement are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Star Citizen suddenly released 14 6.36%
Nintendo unveils the Switch Pro, Metroid Prime 4 is exclusive 27 12.27%
Bethesda announces Fallout 5, Todd somehow entirely forgets about Elder Scrolls 6 and is surprised to be asked about it by interviewers 32 14.55%
Bowsette is real and thinks you're doing okay 121 55.00%
Square Enix retroactively cancels your least favorite Final Fantasy game 26 11.82%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

VideoGames posted:

Heck join in! Give us some of your recommendations :)

All Time God Tier:

FFVI
FFVII
Chrono Trigger
Secret Of Mana
Secret Of Evermore
Persona 4
Majora's Mask
Shadow of the Colossus
Hotline Miami
Earthbound
Link's Awakening GB
Resident Evil 4

Close seconds:

Silent Hill
Mega Man 2
Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
Dragon Quest VIII
Streets Of Rage 2
Nier
DuckTales
Battletoads
Doom Eternal
Parasite Eve
MGS 3
Fallout 1, 2 and 3
Chrono Cross
Castlevania: SotN
Ocarina of Time
Portal
The Last Of Us
Ico
Persona 5
Hotline Miami 2

I probably have more but have been binging movie OSTs over the last 6 months so can't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

VideoGames posted:

Heck join in! Give us some of your recommendations :)

VA-11 Hall-A has my all time favourite soundtrack so I will always recommend it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Good loving lord I cannot wait to see the full lengths Palworld is willing to go to. :getin:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

oddium posted:

yeah it's "newgrounds" alright

neat
engaging
wow !!
great
o skip
u skip
neat
d skip
silksong

some suggestions to help you along:

outstanding
unbelievable
delicious

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

Rez and Jet Set Radio are the best video game soundtracks of all time imo. Both permanently shaped my taste in music going forward when I played them as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utVuQpNFV5Q&t=187s

Honestly, when the Marlena Shaw sample kicks in 20 seconds in from this timestamp, might be one of my favourite moments in any video game ever

And on the Jet Set Radio front, I mean, there's so much to choose from. But like, this is the freaking menu music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mizSUxxuCiY

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I also can't really link to anything because it's all so reactive to the gameplay, but I think Red Dead Redemption 2's soundtrack is far and away the coolest thing about that game, and I wouldn't have persevered through if not for it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Salt and Sanctuary is the true "newgrounds art" metroidvaniasouls

still gonna buy the gently caress out of the sequel though

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Mother 3 has a top tier OST, especially since there’s like thirty battle themes because it’s combat is a rhythm game and sometimes there are even variations of the same battle theme just to gently caress with the timing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Umineko no naku Koro ni had the best soundtrack. It's not even a contest

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
In Chicory: A colorful Tale all the "dungeon" music is dynamic so it slowly builds as you solve more and more puzzles and builds to the climaxes before the big moments it's so good.

Also all the sounds your brush makes as you paint play along with the music :3

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Any song Crush 40 did for a Sonic Adventure.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Street Fighter 3 Third Strike doesn't have the depth as a lot of other soundtracks, but every single song on that OST is an absolute banger. My favorites are Jazzy NYC, Beats in My Head, and The Longshoreman. The latter specifically for it's groovy but simplistic bassline.

That being said, every song is quality, and almost every song has some sort of 90s electric influence, whether it be house or breakbeat or something else, and I greatly appreciate that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZwOXG-oWHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0voJE5bpow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1jrhPw6be0

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I've always been partial to the seldom mentioned Saga Frontier 2 soundtrack

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

homeless snail posted:

I've been vandalizing the same wikipedia page for 15 years. thats simply something I'm not capable of

and no I will NOT post what the wikipedia page is. I'm about to break my high score for how long the edit has stayed up for and will not give power to my wikipedia rivals

i believe in you

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Etrian Oddysey got music by Yuzo Koshiro of Streets of Rage fame, and they are good. The first few sound like 16bit games but they get more modern as the series progressess.
Here's the battle theme from 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCZjnuS6ESc

They Bravely Default music is pretty good too, lots of traditional JRPG music but with lots of great flourishes and weird prog rock.

Oh, and have you heard of FFXIV? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u20Py_d2aI8

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oddium posted:

yeah it's "newgrounds" alright

neat
engaging
wow !!
great
o skip
u skip
neat
d skip
silksong

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Blue Labrador posted:

I think Hollow Knight is phenomenal, but I will agree that the Dark Souls-ish death system seems a little superfluous. I never felt like it added extra stress to the platforming/combat or had a lot of thematic weight.

Do people disagree? I understand the lore implications behind it, but maybe there's a way to look at it that makes it invaluable to the experience or something.

heres the thing. the dark souls death system is just metroidvania save points with some extra persistence an d hollow knight is a metroidvania.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Stux posted:

heres the thing. the dark souls death system is just metroidvania save points with some extra persistence an d hollow knight is a metroidvania.

I love Metroidvanias, but the only Souls-like game I've actually beat is Bloodborne, so maybe that's why I'm having trouble parsing what you mean. Would you mind elaborating to help me understand your point?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hollow knight is a hell of a lot harder than most metroidvanias

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Blue Labrador posted:

I love Metroidvanias, but the only Souls-like game I've actually beat is Bloodborne, so maybe that's why I'm having trouble parsing what you mean. Would you mind elaborating to help me understand your point?

in a metroidvania when you die you go back to a save point. in a souls game or hollow knight when you die you go back to a save point, but also you have a chance to get all the currency/souls you had just collected before you died back and if u made any lasting progression that affects the game world it stays rather than also getting reset

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

No one has ever died to a Metroid boss tho

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I feel like Catlateral Damage needs to drop the energy system and just replace it with a timer and make your cat able to swipe its paws unnaturally fast. That said its a very rough single level demo so who knows???

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Jay Rust posted:

No one has ever died to a Metroid boss tho

Someone never played prime 2 and dealt with the spiderball boss I see

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I finished Prey 2017

serious spoilers below

the whole thing being a simulation was pretty lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Someone never played prime 2 and dealt with the spiderball boss I see

Spider Ball, Boost Guardian, Nightmare, and that absolutely wretched garbage boss Mercury Stream invented for Samus Returns have claimed many an Aran

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Stux posted:

in a metroidvania when you die you go back to a save point. in a souls game or hollow knight when you die you go back to a save point, but also you have a chance to get all the currency/souls you had just collected before you died back and if u made any lasting progression that affects the game world it stays rather than also getting reset

Oh, so like, despite the illusion of difficulty, it's actually a feature that's there to alleviate the sense of loss a traditional failure gives. That's a cool observation. Thanks for elaborating.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I didn’t watch the whole video but Dread is primarily a 2D game with 3D visuals correct?

Also have they said anything as to if the game will be as handholdy as Fusion was or if it’s more like a traditional game where you’re basically on your own in terms of figuring out how to progress?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I will play Metroid Dread. :hai:

I enjoyed metroid zero mission on my WiiU. Also I have realised I can probably play Super Metroid on my Switch. I would like to play fusion and zero mission again. I wonder if they are on Switch.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Larryb posted:

I didn’t watch the whole video but Dread is primarily a 2D game with 3D visuals correct?

Also have they said anything as to if the game will be as handholdy as Fusion was or if it’s more like a traditional game where you’re basically on your own in terms of figuring out how to progress?

Yeah it's 2d gameplay with 3d graphics and they stressed a few times during the Treehouse segment that Adam is a character but doesn't direct you were to go, he just offers tips.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

VideoGames posted:

I will play Metroid Dread. :hai:

I enjoyed metroid zero mission on my WiiU. Also I have realised I can probably play Super Metroid on my Switch. I would like to play fusion and zero mission again. I wonder if they are on Switch.

Nope just the NES & SNES games

Have to bust out the WiiU for anything else

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
they call it metroid dread because when you see it you dread playing it and walk away.

I'm still going to buy it.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I'm just really confused where so many people I saw talking about it got "a real horror aspect instead of just the scripted scenes in fusion" out of "you only have to worry about the boston dynamics robots when you go through these specific kinds of doors"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Stux posted:

Yeah, this is an interesting perspective on Souls-like death systems. Those often get framed as something really harsh/punishing (you have to go get back your lost souls before they're gone forever!!!) when in actuality it's nicer than a traditional save point system. The alternative is that all of your progress gets reset to the last time you saved--not just EXP, but the items you got, too, and doors you opened, and things like that. Souls-like games maintain all of that progress and also give you the chance to get back your EXP/currency, too.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
If Mario had a system where wherever you died, an angry Wario appeared and you could defeat him to get back your last powerup, it would be incredible.

Edit: I want a game where Wario fakes a psychology license and helps people with depression by playing pranks on them.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah the harshness is just in that its a reversion to static save points when modern games use automatic checkpoints and/or let you manual save arbitrarily

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I swear if I have to save those space-animals from captivity again I'm gonna hurl this spaceship straight into the Sun

Also we're gonna be dealing with more Adam, aren't we?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Harrow posted:

Yeah, this is an interesting perspective on Souls-like death systems. Those often get framed as something really harsh/punishing (you have to go get back your lost souls before they're gone forever!!!) when in actuality it's nicer than a traditional save point system. The alternative is that all of your progress gets reset to the last time you saved--not just EXP, but the items you got, too, and doors you opened, and things like that. Souls-like games maintain all of that progress and also give you the chance to get back your EXP/currency, too.

Most modern games have no 'save points' and just constantly auto save or let you retry fights, it's compared to those that Souls games are punishing not old games with fixed saves.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There are a not insignificant number of games (final fantasy 6 is the first I can think of) that just let you keep progress rewards like currency or xp when sending you back to a checkpoint. Roguelite is a genre founded on the principle, even.

That said the way Hollow Knight uses it feels lacking, theres a busy work fight to get back your stuff and losing your stuff permanently doesn't remove said battle. The only thing your ghost guards is currency, but you don't really need currency from between buying the lantern and the DLC, so its not super useful but if you are pre-lantern its super super tedious to re-grind out given the drop rate at that point in the game so the punishment is way out of line with a new run skill and knowledge. Although, its not that it matters too too much since your ghost is an absolute joke to deal with if you can get back, so, really why does that mechanic exist at all?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Just thinking about how great souls games are all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

a large part of the Souls game design philosophy revolves around reexploring and familiarizing yourself with an area several times as you die to new surprising and entertaining encounters, building your knowledge base and level of preparedness for not just that level but in later ones, or as we've found out, later games