Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

The show was very strong, I want to play like 90% of what they featured. The Forza 5 environments look incredible, they should build an RPG with that engine.

I really hope they carry The Eliminator over to FH5. It is a remarkably fun way to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I really hope they carry The Eliminator over to FH5. It is a remarkably fun way to play.
They mentioned it in the gameplay trailer.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
wtf are you freaks talking about. my tv isn't near my computer, i tap something on my phone and netflix pops up on my tv. omegaez bro.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's just one guy and he started the post with "uhh I just don't get Smart TVs" so I'm guessing he's just some weirdo stuck in 2015 or something.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

If I could have a TV without all the smart Internet of poo poo stuff I'd probably be happier, but only because it's all redundant with the Xbox apps.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Evil Badman posted:

If I could have a TV without all the smart Internet of poo poo stuff I'd probably be happier, but only because it's all redundant with the Xbox apps.

You know you don’t have to use any of it right? I have a smart tv and never see any of it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

You know you don’t have to use any of it right? I have a smart tv and never see any of it.

It seems like it depends on the TV. Panasonic TVs had ads come up when doing basic stuff like changing the volume.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
i wish there was a twitch app on my tv

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

It seems like it depends on the TV. Panasonic TVs had ads come up when doing basic stuff like changing the volume.

That no joke should be illegal. Either that or the TV should be free.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I don’t want to connect my stuff directly to a TV because I like my surround sound setup with the receiver I use.

ZeeBoi fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 16, 2021

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah. And I don't unless I accidentally tap the hardcoded button on the tv remote that tries to download/lauch Vudu. Hence "redundant" and "would be happier without."

Thank God TCL doesn't do the bullshit above though, holy poo poo.

Evil Badman fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 16, 2021

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

it does blow my mind that people somehow think casting from their phone to their TV is a simpler solution than a media player on a built in app. its janky as gently caress, seems to frustrate people when it presents said jankyness, yet 'just get an apple tv/shield/cheap poo poo android box is always met with 'oh i dont know how to use any of that techy stuff'

Coxswain Balls posted:

This is gross as gently caress. my LG webOS tv just has an ad for a single streaming service and only when you bring up the 'home' menu. its unobtrustive or distracting and rarely changes.

buying a TV with android in it - you get what you deserve.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

American McGay posted:

It's just one guy and he started the post with "uhh I just don't get Smart TVs" so I'm guessing he's just some weirdo stuck in 2015 or something.

I will join that guy because I am way overdue upgrading my TV and don't have a clue wtf because when I casually browsed a while back I was surprised how cheap huge screens were but in here people are commenting about how expensive some LG TV is so I'm guessing that there's new tech I'm not aware of which isn't present in all the cheaper models I saw.

I also have a negative opinion of Smart TVs but that's lingered from when they initially entered the market and had cameras and microphones etc. which was really off-putting, along with all the extra jank features that were pointless like 3D etc. that was frustrating when I just wanted a dumb TV for playing games and watching movies.

I'm surprised Apple hasn't made their own TV by now given how their display technology in products is so fancy and something that they like to show off. I think it would be popular and it's definitely something I'd be interested in buying, especially since I assume it would have a lot of stuff tied to their ecosystem to make it more attractive and privacy wouldn't be a concern. Come to think of it, it's really weird that they haven't made one, especially since they've been making their own car apparently? TV seems much more logical for them.

Anyways I'm still rocking an old Samsung 1080p LCD from when they were basically the go-to for TVs :corsair:

Coxswain Balls posted:

What the gently caress :barf:

Laserface posted:

buying a TV with android in it

What the gently caress :barf:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I think TVs are at a point where they are kind of racing to the bottom on thin profit margins so Apple probably aren't interested.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Laserface posted:

This is gross as gently caress. my LG webOS tv just has an ad for a single streaming service and only when you bring up the 'home' menu. its unobtrustive or distracting and rarely changes.

buying a TV with android in it - you get what you deserve.

https://mobile.twitter.com/chriswelch/status/1369733357756686349

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
An "iTV" seems like such a no-brainer for Apple as the obvious concept of what they should do is there. Just built Apple TV in it and have it Siri compatible and what not. And invest in cool features like "wireless screensharing" or something. However, the margins are just so tiny that there is no point.

To get things back on topic, I do wonder as Gamepass expands and as the systems become cheaper to produce, if Microsoft will eventually partner with TV manufacturers to build an Xbox Series S inside TVs and bundle TVs with a Gamepass subscription.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

The Kins posted:

Xbox has historically done incredibly poorly in Japan, no matter how much money Microsoft throws at indie developers to make increasingly esoteric arcade shmups for it.

I will never understand how it happened that Bayonetta was developed for the 360.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Evil Badman posted:

The apps native on the tv (netflix, disney+, youtube, whatever else) will not only work better from the tv but will also have a better picture compared to running those from the xbox.
I heard it has something to do because the console will be in gamemode, thus certain settings won't be optimal for watching.

Also as a new LG CX owner since last month, it's very cool. Especially watching dark scenes in a darkened room, HDR gaming is amazing. Dolby Vision Netflix is wonderful, I even upgraded my netflix plan for it because I'm a sucker for visuals.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I do wonder as Gamepass expands and as the systems become cheaper to produce, if Microsoft will eventually partner with TV manufacturers to build an Xbox Series S inside TVs and bundle TVs with a Gamepass subscription.

Nah, they’ll bundle Xcloud into TVs

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I was so happy when the broken television I found in my apartment lobby wasn't a smart TV, just a bigger display than my current set with a whole bunch of HDMI inputs, just the way I like it. Opened it up and after fixing the backlight it was better than new. The interface is so much faster compared to the smart TVs I've used, although those are mainly the ones my family has which aren't exactly high-end.

My PC is hooked up with a long HDMI cable from my study to the living room and it works better than any built-in smart TV solution I've used, but console apps have been just as responsive for stuff like YouTube in my experience.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Evil Badman posted:

Thank God TCL doesn't do the bullshit above though, holy poo poo.

Never realized buying the cheapest panels at Target would actually be beneficial, but here we are.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Nah, they’ll bundle Xcloud into TVs

this sound amazing

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

punk rebel ecks posted:

An "iTV" seems like such a no-brainer for Apple as the obvious concept of what they should do is there. Just built Apple TV in it and have it Siri compatible and what not. And invest in cool features like "wireless screensharing" or something. However, the margins are just so tiny that there is no point.

I think people would absolutely pay the premium because they do with every other Apple product.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SUNKOS posted:

I think people would absolutely pay the premium because they do with every other Apple product.

LG is the only company in the world that makes TV sized OLED panels for consumer grade electronics and I don’t think Apple would use a non OLED panel nor do they seem likely to put themselves at the mercy of a direct competitor as their sole supplier of critical parts.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

So you're getting the same screen and picture quality regardless of brand? Be it Samsung/Panasonic/Sony etc. they all have LG OLED panels inside? Is there any actual difference in image quality then or are you just paying for the logo on the TV and whatever weird OS they've cobbled together as the only differentiator?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

SUNKOS posted:

are you just paying for the logo on the TV and whatever weird OS they've cobbled together as the only differentiator?

Pretty much yeah. There’s a massive difference in the usability of lovely smart TV OSs as well so stuff like input lag is obviously a massive factor between brands.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

highme posted:

Never realized buying the cheapest panels at Target would actually be beneficial, but here we are.

Hah, you got that fucker good.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

So you're getting the same screen and picture quality regardless of brand? Be it Samsung/Panasonic/Sony etc. they all have LG OLED panels inside? Is there any actual difference in image quality then or are you just paying for the logo on the TV and whatever weird OS they've cobbled together as the only differentiator?

There’s other stuff beyond just the panel itself like motion handling, color accuracy, and upscaling that differ from one manufacturer to another, so the image quality isn’t identical. The differences aren’t going to be huge though because the panel tech is such a large part of what makes OLEDs special.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
LG supplies the panels but better brands like Sony probably source better quality panels. Also LG has terrible terrible motion interpolation (the artifacting is ridiculous), so if you hate judder you might shop around.

OLEDs are nice and all but completely overblown. They look great in a showroom next to other tvs, and I have one in my living room, but my Samsung in the bedroom is LCD and I'm always surprised by how good it looks the rare time I watch something in there.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

You should probably always turn off any kind of interpolation, whatever they call it, Trumotion, Realmotion, Motionflow etc..

Also, it took about an hour to setup my lg cx. To get all the settings correctly depending on what I'm watching/using (HDR vs SDR, xbox, ...). It's worth it and it does make a huge difference, you can find manuals online. And don't forget to update the settings inside the xbox as well after you hook up your new tv.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jun 16, 2021

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I think Samsung TVs are notorious for intrusive ads as well, while their website boasts about collecting viewer data and selling it on to advertisers

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Microsoft have said they're going to start bringing their Series X|S exclusives to One via cloud streaming, starting with Flight Sim. It's what everybody assumed would happen but will be fairly cool to have Series games on Xcloud. Hardware shortages aren't a problem if you don't care enough about latency etc.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I doubt it will be enough latency to matter, Microsoft's servers are excellent and since you can play timing-focused games like Bloodborne on PC without issue and nail parries then I expect great things from the Azure servers, they perform brilliantly in Xbox multiplayer games as well with the dedicated servers providing insanely low pings. Also extremely cool and awesome of them to even do this, they really have been going out of their way to tie the whole gaming ecosystem together and it's awesome.

Then you have the Windows team and I don't know if anyone's seen the Windows 11 leaks but drat just transition to a dock already you cowards.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

You should probably always turn off any kind of interpolation, whatever they call it, Trumotion, Realmotion, Motionflow etc..

Also, it took about an hour to setup my lg cx. To get all the settings correctly depending on what I'm watching/using (HDR vs SDR, xbox, ...). It's worth it and it does make a huge difference, you can find manuals online. And don't forget to update the settings inside the xbox as well after you hook up your new tv.

you need some level of interpolation on OLEDs because the response time is close to zero. it looks like a real player video from 1995 otherwise. even adding BFI, the only way my OLED is passable with no interpolation is when dispalying 60fps content.

LCDs response time being in the 5ms region inherently adds some smoothing.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Still having a ton of fun with Chivalry 2. Here's an incredibly good/lucky start. Keep in mind this game has friendly fire and somehow I didn't hit any teammates

https://twitter.com/chris_johann/status/1405132059660611584?s=19

Basically everything I wanted For Honor/Valhalla combat to be.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Still having a ton of fun with Chivalry 2. Here's an incredibly good/lucky start. Keep in mind this game has friendly fire and somehow I didn't hit any teammates

https://twitter.com/chris_johann/status/1405132059660611584?s=19

Basically everything I wanted For Honor/Valhalla combat to be.

I know that 3rd person in that game offers a ton of benefits but I just can't bring myself to do it.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I am literally number 4 in line.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

I am literally number 4 in line.

Time to see if your Intel was correct.

Preemptive welcome to gamepass please enjoy flight sim and a complimentary whatever the gently caress a Cris Tales is

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

boz posted:

I know that 3rd person in that game offers a ton of benefits but I just can't bring myself to do it.

About 75% of my kills are from flanking first person players probably

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Gonna hit a local GameStop today, when I went in yesterday the lady said they'd have a limited number of consoles and to try to get there before it opened.

She also said her phones have been down so who knows who's been trying to call but not a ton of folks have come in in person to ask, so we shall see!

E: Gonna try for half an hour before open, maybe dumb but whatever, I'm a gambling man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I wish Far Cry 5 had dynamic res for its 'one X' mode since it plays so drat nice with FPS boost on series X. I last played it on a 1080p panel but it looks a bit fuzzy at 4K on the series X, mostly its the foliage.

theres an interesting bug where the map menu starts out at 60fps with FPS enabled and eventually slows to sub 20fps in a few minutes. I wonder how this kind of thing will be handled, if at all?

I know Ubisoft/Far Cry 5 isnt the pinnacle of gaming (and 5 isnt really well received for some reason?) but the aesthetic and music in 5 is such a complete vibe. its really fantastic. I started New Dawn but the mad max vibe of it isnt really doing it for me, although the colours are nice and poppy. I never liked 3/4 but something about 5 really grabbed me. Maybe because the cult angle is so foreign to us in Australia whereas in the USA its just another thing you see/hear about? idk.

e: in FC5, after you complete the game, can you still complete story missions? I got the required animal skins for the doctor to make something in the prison, but when I return to the prison and approach him the waypoint moves to the centre of the room and theres no way to progress. seems like its a bug.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 16, 2021