Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The point is that yea the film is going to be taken out of the salt mine and duplicated using a digital process and then sold to people on a blu ray or whatever, but you still need to have the movie in the salt mine to make sure that's available to you in the first place or else there's nothing to make the blu ray from. Or whatever new format may come along in the future. You have the original source so you can duplicate it any time you want, forever, because film stock doesn't degrade if it's stored properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Who’s going to re-archive the entirety of media every 5-10 years into infinity as storage technology evolves? Accelerate that exponentially as well.

It’s not even theoretical, it has literally already happened and with the rate we are producing new digital-only content it’s only going to get worse.

edit: I will say I believe at some point we’re going to start storing stuff on “diamond holograms” or some awesome technology that won’t suffer degradation/compatibility issues. But in the here and now it sucks because we’ve lost and will continue to lose stuff.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jun 15, 2021

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

CPL593H posted:

I have Ghostwatch questions. Was there ever a region 1 release and if not are there any currently in print versions which are not bootlegs. Some label is selling them (for region 2) but I've never heard of them and their site looks sketchy.

https://101-films-store.com/

101 Films are entirely legit, so if you don't want a bootleg you should buy their version.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
You guys are just making me imagine a horrible future where they don't even bother trying to save the original movie, they just shoot it on digital, release it straight to home streaming or a barebones UHD, and then destroy the original forever to save space. No more "masters", no more theaters, everything is inferior-quality home movie releases forever.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Goddamn do I hate FedEx.

VinSyn for some reason didn't lump all of my orders into one package, not a big deal tbh, since by my count it was 15 items over 3 orders and my sub.

The problem is that only one package has been delivered. Two of them have been trapped in Grove City Ohio for 4 days.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

King Vidiot posted:

You guys are just making me imagine a horrible future where they don't even bother trying to save the original movie, they just shoot it on digital, release it straight to home streaming or a barebones UHD, and then destroy the original forever to save space. No more "masters", no more theaters, everything is inferior-quality home movie releases forever.

Don't worry, these home release won't last for more than a few years either.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Iron Crowned posted:

Goddamn do I hate FedEx.

VinSyn for some reason didn't lump all of my orders into one package, not a big deal tbh, since by my count it was 15 items over 3 orders and my sub.

The problem is that only one package has been delivered. Two of them have been trapped in Grove City Ohio for 4 days.

That's fifteen minutes from me, time for a heist.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Fly Ricky posted:

Who’s going to re-archive the entirety of media every 5-10 years into infinity as storage technology evolves? Accelerate that exponentially as well.

It’s not even theoretical, it has literally already happened and with the rate we are producing new digital-only content it’s only going to get worse.

Yeah, untold amounts of music were lost forever went MySpace was shut down.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Iron Crowned posted:

Goddamn do I hate FedEx.
When my VS order shipped last week it said it was being delivered on Sunday. On Sunday, that flipped to Monday. On Monday, it flipped back to Sunday the 13th and today the delivery status is now "pending." :argh:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’ve heard the reason FedEx has been really slow lately is low morale and bad retention. Seems they’re overworking people and not paying very well, so they’re running into the same problems a lot of restaurants are right now.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

CPL593H posted:

I have Ghostwatch questions. Was there ever a region 1 release and if not are there any currently in print versions which are not bootlegs. Some label is selling them (for region 2) but I've never heard of them and their site looks sketchy.

https://101-films-store.com/

To reiterate, 101 Films is awesome and you should buy from them.

I'm sure you're wanting Blu-ray, but I have this version of Ghostwatch on DVD and it's totally serviceable: https://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/Ghostwatch-DVD/55755/

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

As far as I know, there was never a R1 release for Ghostwatch

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

You’re pretty much describing the early days of video, where they would tape over the old television broadcast masters to save money.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Preservation has always been a problem.

A lot of early film was junked because at first it was just an amusement, so who cares if it goes missing. And then when silent films were replaced by sound film, well, who would want to watch a silent movie? And then you also had film stock today could just burst into flames.

And God help you if you didn't store your film properly, as it would break down and you would get vinegar syndrome.

There are plenty of films who's original versions only live on in recreations that might be missing some footage of require dubbing for some scenes. Like Lawrence of Arabia. There are films that have been censored.

Cross over into music - and it's the same thing. Mono albums were junked because you had the stereo version and why would anyone want mono? Stuff is improperly stored, or uses a digital tape format that only one machine can read. And session tapes. Good Vibrations is missing the vocal session tapes, meaning all we have are the various instrumental run throughs of the various sections and the final mono mix.

There's albums from the 80s were digital versions come from needle drops. Single versions and remixes may not be readily available. And due to cheap formulations in the 70s and 80s, a lot of tapes require baking before you can play them to keep the oxide from falling off, and you can't do that forever.

TV is even worse. Many early broadcasts weren't saved, and since videotape took a long time to become feasible, if stuff was saved it was on kinescopes, which is just pointing a film camera at a TV.

American tv isn't in as bad a shape as British television because Lucille Ball made the decision to shoot her television show on film so she could stay in Hollywood rather than perform it live in New York, so that became a standard. Britain used videotape and just wiped everything as standard practice due to union rules. Had Monty Python not gone in and stole the tapes to make copies, we wouldn't have the first series or two in color.

Not that all is hunky dory in the US. The DuPont Network was dumped in a river, and there's a lot that wasn't saved.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Half the musicians you look up will have notes on their Wikipedia page that some amount of their material was destroyed in the 2008 Universal Studios Fire.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/GeekGabNews/status/1404880117038342144?s=20

Hope you like importing through Zavvi.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

oh snap, Diabolik, here I come.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

dorium posted:

oh snap, Diabolik, here I come.

Diabolik's been weird about which Studio Canal movies they import. They didn't get the Basic Instinct 4k for some reason, but Zavvi did.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Maybe zavvis us site will have it too since it's a uhd n not region locked

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Severin sale policies page: https://severinpolicies.com/

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thanks for this.

Any Severin stand-out releases? I already bought the Santa Sangria 4k.

I'm planning on the The Complete Lenzi Baker giallo collection, Day of the Beast, Perdita Durango, All the Colors of the Dark, and maybe Grizzly.

Any other recommendations? I'm open to sleazy suggestions, too.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Franchescanado posted:

The Boys Next Door is great. Christina is weird and good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Thanks for this.

I'm planning on the The Complete Lenzi Baker giallo collection, Day of the Beast, Perdita Durango, All the Colors of the Dark, and maybe Grizzly.

The Uncanny rules if you like cats, horror anthologies, and/or Peter Cushing.

and yeah Day of the Beast and Perdita Durango are essential.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Uncanny rules if you like cats, horror anthologies, and/or Peter Cushing.

and yeah Day of the Beast and Perdita Durango are essential.

The Uncanny is really fun. I didn't notice that on their site, but I'll grab it. I'm blind-buying Perdita Durango from your Letterboxd review.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm weirdly looking forward to checking out the new UHD for In The Line of Fire. It's such a quintessential 90's movie and my experience with 90's stuff on UHD has always been good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I'm weirdly looking forward to checking out the new UHD for In The Line of Fire. It's such a quintessential 90's movie and my experience with 90's stuff on UHD has always been good.

Same. I probably will wait for it to go on sale or something, but it's a solid 90's thriller. John Bailey's cinematography screams "90's comfort" visually, and it's a standout John Malkovich performance. The scene between him and Patrika Darbo, the bank teller, is amazing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Okay, I caved and bought the Indiana Jones set. Gimme those pixels.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Okay, I caved and bought the Indiana Jones set. Gimme those pixels.

It's the best UHD release so far this year and probably still will be when the year ends. It's basically perfect, other than some nitpicks about packaging.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Diabolik has Ran
https://twitter.com/diabolikdvd/status/1405187635430166534

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I talked with them on Twitter, and they said they'll do whatever they can to get any StudioCanal 4k UHD release. If they don't list it, they're open to suggestions on Twitter. We literally talked about Ran.

edit: Aaaaand pre-ordered.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 16, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've got my order in. The website said it's expected to ship at some point towards the end of July. Extremely hyped, I actually gave my blu ray copy to a friend a few years back and now he lives in North Carolina so I may never get it back.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Would that play on a US PS5?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The UHD? Yes.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/HDMOVIESOURCE/status/1405164227535507457?s=20

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
A glorious bounty of UHD announcements

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

A Scream UHD might just make me buy Scream.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Franchescanado posted:

Thanks for this.

They just announced on Facebook that they're releasing a 4K of Blood for Dracula, so that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I want Terminator 4K and I'm mad I'm not going to get it anytime soon :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright