Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
She works with game testers, she's immune to social awkwardness at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Yeah, managing their awkwardness is practically in her job description

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

simplefish posted:

More comfortable and natural interaction with the opposit sex than neet is capable of at 30-whatever

Elevator NEET is still in his late 20s (I think).

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

he's 29 at the start of the comic, so he's either 29 or 30 in the part-timer arc i think

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

NEET is very impressed with his ability to kind of follow a conversation.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
NEET: "Yes it's quite early. I went to bed early"
I told her about me going to bed early. Now I wonder what my next course of action should be. I cannot just tell her I couldn't sleep I was hungry and ate my dad's salami. A woman like her probably knows how to cook.

Ms.Nishiyama: "Nice"

NEET: I see... Miss Nishiyama approves of this. Maybe I should tell her about dad's salami to buy us more time *looks at watch* OH NO ONLY 4 SECONDS HAVE PASSED! I have ten times that until this elevator door opens!

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Don’t want her to realize I am into her.

I will propose marriage to confuse her.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

dont smirk tohru this is not a smirking situation

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I didn't pee my pants because a girl talked to me :smug:

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

projecthalaxy posted:

dont smirk tohru this is not a smirking situation

but he's self-satisfied about being able to pick up on basic context clues! this is important character development for a shut-in

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I woke up early and got distracted by my dad's salami

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Xenocides posted:

Don’t want her to realize I am into her.

I will propose marriage to confuse her.

He's going to throw this whole conversation into disarray.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Oh no the timelines are converging! Next he'll work out what his co-workers are having for lunch!

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Go time

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Mackerel Cornflake posted:

Well that's certainly deserving of another comic.

beep, beep, boop. Amazing.

Could this flashback timing possibly line up with part time neet's game testing career? It's hard to tell how much time has passed after Tohru got out of jail, and also hard to really guess Enami's current age. But if NEET is ~45 in the criminal arc at this point, and Smug Mug is 29 now, then in a flashback where he's 13 Tohru would have been just about the right age on the part time track to have tested that game.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

:golfclap:

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

jemand posted:

Could this flashback timing possibly line up with part time neet's game testing career? It's hard to tell how much time has passed after Tohru got out of jail, and also hard to really guess Enami's current age. But if NEET is ~45 in the criminal arc at this point, and Smug Mug is 29 now, then in a flashback where he's 13 Tohru would have been just about the right age on the part time track to have tested that game.

We can't know for sure, but I get the impression that Enami is at least as old, if not a little older, than Tohru himself when he is introduced during the live broadcast in the criminal arc. He's starting to bald and he looks a little heavy. I'd clock him around mid to late 40s before the flashback.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

jemand posted:

I got the impression adult Enami was significantly older than that, about criminal NEET's age or higher. The console they're playing on looks like a Super Famicom, so I'm guessing this is early/mid 90s.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Just a wild guess on my part, but the Enami story referenced a meteor falling in Mongolia:

Some quick searching turns up a meteor which fell in Mongolia on 15 August 1990: https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?code=12068

Maybe this was the event the author was referencing?

I also learned that the term “fall” in relation to a meteor has a specific meaning, in that it refers to a meteor that was observed falling and was then collected after landing. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteorite_fall)

I’m curious what the original wording was in that panel’s second pane for “the falling” and whether it might have the same connotation. It might help place the timeline with a bit more certainty.

E: meteorite not meteor, I should know this

Aino Minako fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 17, 2021

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

"H- how did you know my name?"
"Oh, I'm a psychic too, didn't my daughter tell you?"

*PLOT TWIST: daughter had snuck off and phoned her mother, when we thought she went to read the diary*

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

ahhahaha

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
this loving guy

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

:ughh:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

:master: response from NEET

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

If I didn't know better and couldn't read the text I'd think this was a mid-level villain in a shounen manga about to get destroyed by his own overconfidence.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
He probably is still about to get destroyed by his overconfidence

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

gently caress here we go he's gonna talk about the salami

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
good job Tohru you did it

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
When you succesfully check your speech skill

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
This could have so easily ended up in a bloodbath

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Elevator malfunctions and the cables snap, sending the elevator plummeting downwards at deadly speeds. Will Princess transform into Magical Lovely Girl Princess in time to save them?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I ate up my dads salami. I gobbled it all up!

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Aino Minako posted:

Just a wild guess on my part, but the Enami story referenced a meteor falling in Mongolia:

Some quick searching turns up a meteor which fell in Mongolia on 15 August 1990: https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?code=12068

Maybe this was the event the author was referencing?

I also learned that the term “fall” in relation to a meteor has a specific meaning, in that it refers to a meteor that was observed falling and was then collected after landing. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteorite_fall)

I’m curious what the original wording was in that panel’s second pane for “the falling” and whether it might have the same connotation. It might help place the timeline with a bit more certainty.

E: meteorite not meteor, I should know this

Oh wow. That's really loving cool.

I can't comment on whether or not "fall" has the same astronomical meanings in Japanese as it does in English, but the verb used in that comic is 落ちる (ochiru), "to fall, sink, crash, or degenerate". Furthermore, it has many wide and varied uses: it can be used as in "the failing of an exam or class", "the setting of the sun or moon", or "a website or server being down".

Since we're on an astronomy kick now, I decided to look up the Japanese etymology of meteor and meteorite. Meteor is 流星 (ryuusei, "exiled star") and meteorite is 隕石 (inseki, "fallen stone"). Makes sense.

If you watched Sailor Moon as a child, you might know that the kanji 星 (sei in ryuusei) gets a lot of use in Japanese astronomy terms. 星 (pronounced hoshi when it's by itself) can refer alternatively to a star, a planet, or any other sort of celestial body (a holdover from when all these things were just understood as bright points in the sky). It's used as a suffix for all the Japanese names of the planets in our solar system: 金星 (kinsei, Venus, "gold planet"), 火星 (kasei, Mars, "fire planet"), 木星 (mokusei, Jupiter, "wood planet"), etc.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Vic posted:

gently caress here we go he's gonna talk about the salami

good morning. today i stole my dad's favorite snack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Whale fall also has a weird specific meaning like meteor fall, except it's when a whale dies and its body becomes a deep sea habitat until the abyssal creeps fully devour it and leave.

This isn't the same as if a whale dies in a shallower spot because in the deep it'll be a gross oasis in the desert for decades.